• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: Loneliness, Social Isolation Greater Health Problem In US Than Obesity

Generate

Banned
The world needs more social gaming ideas like Pokemon GO. It has been a fantastic thing for social groups and getting people to exercise and go outside.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
The irony, in a world of social media, internet forums, online dating and so forth. One would think it easier to connect with similar prople and not feel alone. Or maybe the replacement of real connections to virtual ones amplifies it?

To be honest, I prefer the little bit of solitude I get. But then again, I am just an old dude who would rather stay in, put on the radio, read a book, play a game or make music, than go out and party.

ReiGun

I've been thinking about this quite often recently. We're slowly becoming a society of shut-ins. A lot of people are out here hurt and traumatized, and having trouble connecting to others as a result. Even among more extraverted people, whom we tend to think of as being super social and outgoing, are forming more shallow relationships and avoiding deeper supportive connections.

Whether that equals all of us dying sooner, idk. But it is happening and I think it's really unfortunate.

PK Gaming

Some of the GAF community threads got me through some tough times and i'm practically dependent on Twitter/Discord, so this makes sense to me. Having people you enjoy talking to on a daily basis makes a huge difference.

Some of the GAF community threads got me through some tough times and i'm practically dependent on Twitter/Discord, so this makes sense to me. Having people you enjoy talking to on a daily basis makes a huge difference.

You too bud. Group hug time!

I'm not surprised at the study. With more ways to "connect," face to face becomes one of many options. To our detriment of course, since face to face is the best, as is physical contact. At my workplace, literally everyone I've worked with so far has been remote. I've seen a few folks once or twice, that's it.

SoilBreak

Banned
Guess I'm done.

4ReqKsK.jpg

Preezy

I work a regular 9-5 in a diverse and friendly office and I have the superficial "friendships" that you develop in an environment like that (friends at work but non-existent outside of it), and I have my wife and daughter, but aside from that I'm not a very social creature. I have a couple of what I'd consider good friends, but they're more friends that I've had for a long time, rather than high-quality friends that I do lots of stuff with or talk to regularly. I can go weeks without speaking to them, but when we do hook up it's never awkward and it's just comfortable and low-effort. Suits me fine.

I sometimes feel lonely, but I also feel like I can't be arsed to make any new friends. I barely have time for the friends I already have so being social and hanging out doesn't really appeal. My young family takes up a massive chunk of my time and I'm always really resistant to anything that eats into that time, but it would be cool sometimes to have a buddy come over and play some games with or go for a pint with, but my good friends mentioned earlier live pretty far away now so it's not as easy as just arranging to meet up in town for a drink.

Completely rambling here so I'll just finish with a full stop.

It doesn't help that the primary means of housing development we have is the suburban style where you have to drive everywhere, in your own little metal cage.

Facilitating the development of mixed-used Asian/European style dense and compact living will solve TOOONNNS of our problems, including obesity, traffic and isolation.

jstripes

Banned
It doesn't help that the primary means of housing development we have is the suburban style where you have to drive everywhere, in your own little metal cage.

Facilitating the development of mixed-used Asian/European style dense and compact living will solve TOOONNNS of our problems, including obesity, traffic and isolation.

You'd have to re-write the American psyche, though. Driving Everywhere = Freedom.

entremet

Yeah. Don't forget the obsession with safety. Everyone is a bad guy.

Skar

I have a few friends and I see people at work all the time that I talk to. Not that talking to coworkers about work is all that socially fulfilling but it's something. I'm not alone. I'm respected by my boss.

Another thing I did is I made an account here finally. After years of not having a proper email I finally had one and signed up. Been lurking for at least 3 or 4 years. It's nice. I've always felt at least a little connected to the world and people reading the variety of perspectives and personalities here.

The good news is, this is the easiest problem to fix. We don't need to pass bills or alter the economy or engage in massive lifestyle changes to solve the issue of social isolation, we just have to stop listening to all of the forces in our lives screaming "fear everyone!"

Fear of rejection, fear our intentions will be misread, fear of saying the wrong thing, fear of looking foolish, fear of having our resources taken, fear of losing a competition, fear of being taken advantage of, fear of taking a risk.

The media inundates us with material to feed these fears, both real and fictional, and we allow it to cripple our mental health and social ability because we believe it keeps us safe and comfortable. I wonder, at this rate, how long it will be before we're living in a post-social, post-love society?

We need to collectively reject this fear on as many platforms as possible in settings both micro and macro, and curb this trend before it's too late.

I don't think you're preaching to the choir here.

This is the same site that stokes the fears of nearly everything dialed to 1000. Even basic dating interactions are too complex for the same people that can figure out how to build PCs and brag about their DotA skin collection.

People want to be afraid and will find any excuse to confirm their fears.

Most of the rest are too cynical for this world. They won't find their happiness.

I've been thinking about this quite often recently. We're slowly becoming a society of shut-ins. A lot of people are out here hurt and traumatized, and having trouble connecting to others as a result. Even among more extraverted people, whom we tend to think of as being super social and outgoing, are forming more shallow relationships and avoiding deeper supportive connections.

Whether that equals all of us dying sooner, idk. But it is happening and I think it's really unfortunate.

Blame social media. It's not complimenting face to face interactions as it was supposed to. It's actually built to capture us, replacing face to face interaction altogether with an online ecosystem and profiting from us there. It short circuits our social reward centers in a type of "safe" social instant gratification scheme. It is highly addictive and will increase actual social isolation, depression, and decrease self esteem. We are already seeing this in the iGen predominately, but it is affecting us intergenerationally.

Top Bottom