• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subnautica dev fired over 'insensitive tweets'

Sàmban

Banned
So saying that black people should own their lives instead of blaming everything on the "evil white" trope, is racist?

And yeah, white societies despite all the criticisim that you throw at them for being the source of all the problems that black people face in their lives everyday, are by far the best societies in the world. That's a fact.

And I didn't see your post, because I would have reported you back then if I saw that you were calling me racist then too.

That's not what you said though. You replied to my comment and specifically said that what happened to them was their fault. And I didn't call you racist then: I asked you to clarify because it sounded racist. You never did. I don't know how you didn't see it since you automatically get notifications when someone quotes you. WE ALL DO.

If you are clarifying now that what you meant to say was that black people should own their lives now, then that is at least more debatable than saying that all the stuff that happened to them was their fault.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
It's funny how Samban has come to the thread to exemplify what is exactly wrong with the mob mentality.

There are ways to express your opinion that aren't hostile or you making fun of people. If you don't understand trans people, you don't post insulting memes, you do research, listen to others arguments and you can talk to people in a respectful way. There are ways of interacting with the world which aren't you shitting on it.

That's an utopian boring world. One in which people never does "lazy trying to be funny" tweets and one in which memes don't exist.

By the way, the notion that if you post an attack helicopter meme means that you don't understand trans people it's just wrong. You can criticize trans people, black people, white people and whatever group you want to criticize and that doesn't mean you don't understand them, just that you have a different opinion in some aspect/s.

Answer the fucking question. Don't pull this "I don't need to answer all the silly questions" bullshit. You seem to be implying here that PDP should have been more careful because of his public youtuber status, but then somehow can't make the same jump to a fucking videogame developer discussing company property on twitter among other things? Get real dude. That is the definition of hypocrisy by the way.

I don't need to give you any explanation, less when you come to me talking in that way. Seems like you aren't happy enough by just calling me racist and basically being a SJW bully who wants to invalidate my opinions by the power of the "racist" card.

But seeing that you and David don't have much of a reading comprension, I would say it again: I already answered those questions in the thread, I don't have any obligation to answer that again to you just because you are rude or because you call me racist. Go read them if you want and stop with your bully antics.

I doubt I would ever respond to you again, by the way.

Kadayi

Banned
How did you feel about people review bombing Firewatch when Pewdiepie called someone a "nigger" over PUBG?

And how did you feel about it? I'm sure we can all agree that what Pewdiepie (PDP) said was wrong, and as I understand it he publicly apologized afterwards. Yet despite having said they wouldn't DCMA any lets plays the Firewatch team did have his let's play of the game (which garnered them a lot of exposure) removed. I don't imagine that the removal of those youtube remotely impacted PDPs bottom line at all. Any money he'd have made off of views would have been achieved around the game's launch. So to whose benefit was the removal? Save Sean Vannamans fragile ego and desire to virtue signal to his few thousand twitter followers? When people apologise for a misdeed, it's generally considered good form to accept it and move on no? Instead, the many wheels of the internet turn and turn and one's misdeeds, no matter how inconsequential in the grand scheme of things are churned over and over forever, and no matter the apology can seemingly never be forgiven.

To you, I dare say that the downvoting of Firewatch somehow seemed as an endorsement of what PDP said, and perhaps for some people there may be some truth in that (because people are complex), for others however they'd maybe see it as a developer being rightly censured for reneging on their own word.

Broseybrose

Who was it on here that recently said that the left weren't rallying under the hammer sickle like the "right" do with the swastika?
I dont know.

All I know is that the 20th Century showed us, if we care to remember, that BOTH were murderous ideologies, and anyone who chooses to embrace either is a very dangerous idiot.

Real talk: Why is it that when someone has questions about certain posters' stances or mindsets, those posters automatically equivocate it to, "you're calling me racist"?

Bruh it sounds like there's some serious projection going on in here.

Sàmban

Banned
Sàmban and Jon are getting a brake from the thread. It's important to be tolerant, let evidence and reason be the foundation of your view points. Not insults, harsh language or accusations.
It's funny how Samban has come to the thread to exemplify what is exactly wrong with the mob mentality.

That's an utopian boring world. One in which people never does "lazy trying to be funny" tweets and one in which memes don't exist.

By the way, the notion that if you post an attack helicopter meme means that you don't understand trans people it's just wrong. You can criticize trans people, black people, white people and whatever group you want to criticize and that doesn't mean you don't understand them, just that you have a different opinion in some aspect/s.

I don't need to give you any explanation, less when you come to me talking in that way. Seems like you aren't happy enough by just calling me racist and basically being a SJW bully who wants to invalidate my opinions by the power of the "racist" card.

But seeing that you and David don't have much of a reading comprension, I would say it again: I already answered those questions in the thread, I don't have any obligation to answer that again to you just because you are rude or because you call me racist. Go read them if you want and stop with your bully antics.

Calm down; no one is calling you racist.

And to be crystal clear on this, I did not even call you racist. I said you posted stuff that implied that black people were inferior to white people. You asked for the receipts. I showed them to you and told you that I engaged you at the time to try to get a discussion and see where you are coming from. You ignored the post, and it was also the only thing you posted in that thread. You also claim that you never saw my comment which I find hard to believe given that we all get notifications. What do you think anyone would think if you come into a thread, post ignorant stuff and never explain and then bail? If you really do feel bullied because of that exchange, then I apologize to you, but you are throwing some serious red flags. When posting in controversial topics like that, it is important to be explicit about stuff -especially when people ask for clarifications.

I also correctly predicted that you'd refuse to answer David's question in this thread. Which you did.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Real talk: Why is it that when someone has questions about certain posters' stances or mindsets, those posters automatically equivocate it to, "you're calling me racist"?

Funny because it always seems like when someone can't handle another users opinion or stance they just jump to calling them racist/transphobic/bigot etc with no evidence to support it.

PtM

Banned
A friendly warning taking this post as an example. Don't make comments that stir the pot even more, this adds nothing of value to the debate. On the contrary it makes things worse. The same goes to the others that are doing the same thing.
Funny because it always seems like when someone can't handle another users opinion or stance they just jump to calling them racist/transphobic/bigot etc with no evidence to support it.
Except for quotes.

I've made "lazy, trying to be funny" jokes a lot, they just happen to be puns and not me shitting on people. There are, in fact, memes that don't solely exist to try and shit on marginalised groups. You can make jokes without shitting on other people. Lots of people do that all the time just fine. It's okay for people to look at something and say "I don't like people turning my pain into their joke.". You can ignore them, but if enough people feel like that then you're going to be pretty unpopular really fast. That's what happened here, which is a problem when your online identity is tied to a company. Then your words aren't just your words, they're your company's words.

A attack helicopter meme isn't a critique though, it's just being plain old fashioned mean and hateful.

David___

Banned
And how did you feel about it? I
I was indifferent to it.

....I'm sure we can all agree that what Pewdiepie (PDP) said was wrong, and as I understand it he publicly apologized afterwards.
When people apologise for a misdeed, it's generally considered good form to accept it and move on no? Instead, the many wheels of the internet turn and turn and one's misdeeds, no matter how inconsequential in the grand scheme of things are churned over and over forever, and no matter the apology can seemingly never be forgiven.
As far as I know he went right back to teasing to saying it again multiple times afterwards, so the apology doesn't mean anything. I may be mixing up the time line, so that could've been a few days before the "slip up" or soon afterwards

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Except for quotes.

Yea, quotes are useful right?
Except that's clearly not what happened in this thread and does not negate my original point.

Exhibit A:
You're using extreme cases as a reason to disregard the more prevalent forms of disconnected identity. Get a grip.

P PtM I have yet to see a single backed up claim of racism, just twisted quotes and reading between lines that don't exist.

Autoignition Autoignition point negated, have a nice day.

Last edited:
P PtM I have yet to see a single backed up claim of racism, just twisted quotes and reading between lines that don't exist.

Autoignition Autoignition point negated, have a nice day.

Telling someone to "get a grip" means the same thing as saying "you're racist" now?

Samban literally said, "What you said sounds racist."

No projection.

How could you not expect him to defend himself along those lines?

"What you said sounds racist" is not the same thing as calling someone a racist. People can say racist things and not actually be racists. Just like people can say stupid things and not actually be of low intelligence.

It's almost like people are, like, multifaceted creatures or someshit.

Last edited:

Broseybrose

Telling someone to "get a grip" means the same thing as saying "you're racist" now?

"What you said sounds racist" is not the same thing as calling someone a racist. People can say racist things and not actually be racists. Just like people can say stupid things and not actually be of low intelligence.

It's almost like people are, like, multifaceted creatures or someshit.
You are purposefully being daft and ignoring the fact that your point was refuted.

Again.

You are purposefully being daft and ignoring the fact that your point was refuted.

Again.

I'm sorry that I don't see people and discourse as a binary, black-and-white, one thing or the other.

You're free to not like the stance I take, but that doesn't mean that my point was refuted. Language is nuanced and words matter.

Kadayi

Banned
I was indifferent to it.

No, you weren't. If you were you wouldn't have brought it up. You'd have passed over it. The tell lies in the narrative frame, you presented.

As far as I know he went right back to teasing to saying it again multiple times afterwards, so the apology doesn't mean anything. I may be mixing up the time line, so that coud've been a few days before the "slip up" or soon afterwards

A quick google search shows no mention of a repeat offence, and I dare say if it had occurred it would have lit the world wide web on fire for a second time, so it seems that what you say is neither indifferent or honest in its presentation. All a person is in this life is the truth to their words, you'd do well to learn that if you expect anyone to take you seriously as a poster

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
You're free to not like the stance I take, but that doesn't mean that my point was refuted. Language is nuanced and words matter.

You say this, but a quote with 18 words and a letter, gets boiled down to just 3. And the prior 3 examples, reduced to the least applicable for the conversational string.

Good work there, A+

Broseybrose

I'm sorry that I don't see people and discourse as a binary, black-and-white, one thing or the other.

I hate to get into it with you again, but lets break it down.

Here is your original quote:

You posed the question why it is people (Jon) defend themselves as not being racist as if they were projecting their own racism.

I then point out that Samba did indeed say that what Jon said sounded racist. And that is why Jon had to respond and defend himself along those lines.

Hence, your contention of projection was refuted (ie. proven to be wrong).

Has nothing to do with what I like or do not like.

You were simply wrong. Again.

Last edited:

PtM

Banned
That's a reply to my remark about quotes, and not actually to the quote it's written beneath.
A quick google search shows no mention of a repeat offence, and I dare say if it had occurred it would have lit the world wide web on fire for a second time, so it seems that what you say is neither indifferent or honest in its presentation. All a person is in this life is the truth to their words, you'd do well to learn that if you expect anyone to take you seriously as a poster
I do remember there was a video afterwards where he alluded to the word in an exchange with another player. Don't know when exactly in regards to the apology.

Last edited:
You posed the question why it is people (Jon) defend themselves as not being racist as if they were projecting their own racism.

I then point out that Samba did indeed say that what Jon said sounded racist. And that is why Jon had to respond and defend himself along those lines.

Hence, your contention of projection was refuted (ie. proven to be wrong).

Has nothing to do with what I like or do not like.

You were simply wrong. Again.

Thanks for the breakdown, but none of this changes the fact that literally no one called him racist.

Sorry, bud. Them's the breaks.

Though honestly I don't know why I'm bothering with this explanation, when you proved earlier that words and meanings of words don't matter to you.

Last edited:

Broseybrose

Thanks for the breakdown, but none of this changes the fact that literally no one called him racist.

Sorry, bud. Them's the breaks.

Though honestly I don't know why I'm bothering with this explanation, when you proved earlier that words and meanings of words don't matter to you.
Samba implied he was racist and he defended himself accordingly.

Youre either trying to save face or are flat out delusional.

And Im ignoring your attack against me because I know that it simply isnt even worth it to ask you to provide evidence.

You cant, you wont, and if you try you will fail. Because your claim is ridiculous, ie worthy of ridicule.

Last edited:
Youre either trying to save face or delusional.

I'll just quote myself I guess.

Pointing out that someone said a thing that comes off as racist does not automatically translate to saying "you're racist." It's an encouragement for someone to reword their argument, not an assessment of what's in their heart. Use of language and context matters. I can't make that any clearer.

Kadayi

Banned
I do remember there was a video afterwards where he alluded to the word in an exchange with another player. Don't know when exactly in regards to the apology.

Then how come Google shows nothing all about it? if it happened he'd have been publicly destroyed. The fact that he hasn't been publicly destroyed seems to indicate there is little if any merit to this assertion.

The defence of X, was the fact Y had happened and therefore Z was irrelevant as far as the logic string goes. However, it appears Y was a fabrication on the posters part.

Last edited:

Broseybrose

I'll just quote myself I guess.

Pointing out that someone said a thing that comes off as racist does not automatically translate to saying "you're racist." It's an encouragement for someone to reword their argument, not an assessment of what's in their heart. Use of language and context matters. I can't make that any clearer.
Which is exactly why Jon defended his views. And your response was to claim he was projecting his racism!

Which is exactly why Jon defended his views. And your response was to claim he was projecting his racism!

I don't take issue with the fact that Jon defended his claims; he has every right to, even if I disagree with him. I was just pointing out that, in the process of expanding on his argument, he was whining about being bullied and called racist when that never happened.

Broseybrose

I don't take issue with the fact that Jon defended his claims; he has every right to, even if I disagree with him. I was just pointing out that, in the process of expanding on his argument, he was whining about being bullied and called racist when that never happened.
Nice try, but...

Jon was clarify his views, making it clear that he wasnt racist.

You then implied, after that, that he was low-key racist... for simply defending himself against the implication that he was racist!

If this doesnt explicitly show the 'damned if you do, damned if you dont' logic that people like you employ against people whose ideas you disagree with, then I do not know what does.

Last edited:
Nice try, but...

Jon was clarify his views, making it clear that he wasnt racist.

I don't need to give you any explanation, less when you come to me talking in that way. Seems like you aren't happy enough by just calling me racist and basically being a SJW bully who wants to invalidate my opinions by the power of the "racist" card..

Yeah no he wasn't whining at all.

You then implied, after that, that he was low-key racist.

That's what we like to call "a joke" here, son. Which is why I prefaced it with informal language like "bruh."

Because, you know, language and context matter.

Broseybrose

No matter how much you italicize or bold, you can not win this argument.

I think everyone can see that.

With that, Im out. But Ill be back, so mind yourself. ;)

Last edited:

PtM

Banned
Then how come Google shows nothing all about it? if it happened he'd have been publicly destroyed. The fact that he hasn't been publicly destroyed seems to indicate there is little if any merit to this assertion.
Turns out it was an older video (4h4m in).

Though there's this from the original session, 10 minutes in:

David___

Banned
No, you weren't. If you were you wouldn't have brought it up. You'd have passed over it. The tell lies in the narrative frame, you presented.
What? I was indifferent to when it was happening, yes. I brought it up because it's a very similar situation to this one, and I was wondering what Jon's stance was since he said this:
But I love seeing people making a statement against the dictatorship of the Political Correctness that cowardly fired that guy for having the "wrong" opinions.

I think when you use your company as a means to help sculpt yourself a public platform online, then what you say no longer belongs to only you, it belongs to the people who work with you, and the people who hire you. It no longer is outside of where you work, because you've already brought your work into it. There are millions of people online right now saying what he's saying and nothing happens to them because they're haven't presented themselves publicly online as employee of big company X. You cannot use your status as an employee of a cool company to build your online profile, and then feel hard done by when that company casts you aside after you've used that online profile to insult their customers.

That's not completely unreasonable. I still don't agree with the premise and I don't think an employee represents the company when outside of said company, but I can see why you and others would think differently than me. People getting fired over social media is still very new and we'll see if people are fired over even milder stuff. Maybe saying you voted for Trump could get you fired, RTing Ben Shapiro or stuff like that. It's interesting where it will go from here. I'm also interested if he received a fair warning prior to being fired, like quit twitter or we'll have to punt you.

One thing I think a lot of us can agree on is that nobody should boycott this game. A lot of people worked their ass off to create it and it's so unfair when people do that.

That's not completely unreasonable. I still don't agree with the premise and I don't think an employee represents the company when outside of said company, but I can see why you and others would think differently than me. People getting fired over social media is still very new and we'll see if people are fired over even milder stuff. Maybe saying you voted for Trump could get you fired, RTing Ben Shapiro or stuff like that. It's interesting where it will go from here. I'm also interested if he received a fair warning prior to being fired, like quit twitter or we'll have to punt you.

One thing I think a lot of us can agree on is that nobody should boycott this game. A lot of people worked their ass off to create it and it's so unfair when people do that.

You.

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

I fundamentally disagree with your posts on this topic, but you give me hope for the level of rational discourse on this site.

As the OP, I'd like to clarify that I started this topic in order to have a meaningful discussion about the situation. It was absolutely not intended as a call to arms and I do not want this thread to be interpreted as an invitation to boycott the game.

In that regard, I am glad to see so many people sharing their different viewpoints. It's exactly that diversity of opinion that keeps people from forming angry internet mobs, because the confrontation with opposite views forces everyone to nuance and moderate their own. I think the homogeneous group mentality is one of the reasons why ResetERA is tumbling down the rabbit hole of blind internet slacktivism.

IF, by any chance, somebody decides to boycott the game, he's free to do so, but he should do so on his own volition and after carefully weighing each and every argument.

Kadayi

Banned
What? I was indifferent to when it was happening, yes. I brought it up because it's a very similar situation to this one, and I was wondering what Jon's stance was since he said this:

Was anyone fired over the PDP situation? Was it a Tweet? You say it was a similar situation, but what exactly was similar about it? DCMAing some long forgotten youtube videos and breaking ones public promise in doing so as some petty act of virtue signalling outrage is hardly by any stretch of the imagination on a par with taking away a persons livelihood entirely.

As the OP, I'd like to clarify that I started this topic in order to have a meaningful discussion about the situation. It was absolutely not intended as a call to arms and I do not want this thread to be interpreted as an invitation to boycott the game.

In that regard, I am glad to see so many people sharing their different viewpoints. It's exactly that diversity of opinion that keeps people from forming angry internet mobs, because the confrontation with opposite views forces everyone to nuance and moderate their own. I think the homogeneous group mentality is one of the reasons why ResetERA is tumbling down the rabbit hole of blind internet slacktivism.

IF, by any chance, somebody decides to boycott the game, he's free to do so, but he should do so on his own volition and after carefully weighing each and every argument.

Your OP was awesome man, you really didn't ask for anything close to a boycott and sorry if I sounded that way. You started a discussion and this is a great discussion to be had as it involves a lot of things that are new, in a lot of ways we don't know what to do or even what we should do. Does this accomplish anything or does it create a new James Damore? Your boss not liking your opinions or how you voice them outside of the workplace could get you fired? I mean, in this case it's a bit easier to make a case for him to be fired, but at some point it won't be. Won't this just create more anonymous twitter accounts which could lead to even harsher discourse? There are a lot of variables and not thinking too much about them is what got us in this divided situation.

And I agree with everything you said there. It's important to remember that Resetera was created by a dude that tried to start a Hat in Time boycott campaign here. It will be interesting what happens when The Last Night drops, if they will tell people to not buy the game or if they will just "de-platform" it.

You.

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

I fundamentally disagree with your posts on this topic, but you give me hope for the level of rational discourse on this site.

Thank you! :) This thread makes me happy because we're being able to really discuss this respectfully and the ability to disagree is so important, I'm really happy about the direction GAF is going when it comes to allowing multiple rational voices and not just one right opinion. Really great stuff.

Ke0

A firearm is automatically considered lethal force regardless of the context in the US. Actual charges can be highly subjective at times, but if the police wanted to, they could hit this guy with attempted murder.

I see thanks. I was about to say it's kind of weird to point a gun at someone, fire a shot and call it a "warning." But America is gun nut crazy so I wasn't sure.

Last edited:

David___

Banned
Was anyone fired over the PDP situation? Was it a Tweet? You say it was a similar situation, but what exactly was similar about it?

PDP was,in a sense, fired by Camp Santo since he specifically cannot monetize videos of their games anymore while practically anyone else can due to the fact he yelled "nigger" on stream that wasn't about their game(in this case PUBG acts like Twitter since it was "off work" so to say.) This led to a copyright strike on the video(s) that led to the review bombing of Firewatch, which again Jon stated that he was in favor of when it came to this situation where a dev was fired for "off work" comments.

Kadayi

Banned
PDP was,in a sense, fired by Camp Santo since he specifically cannot monetize videos of their games anymore while practically anyone else can due to the fact he yelled "nigger" on stream that wasn't about their game (in this case PUBG acts like Twitter since it was "off work" so to say.) This led to a copyright strike on the video(s) that led to the review bombing of Firewatch, which again Jon stated that he was in favor of when it came to this situation where a dev was fired for "off work" comments.

Fired? He's not their employee. He's already a millionaire several times over. You think not being able to stream future Camp Santos games because they don't have the good grace to accept a public apology is a source of concern for him? In The Valley of Gods might tick a bunch of diversity boxes but it isn't going to set the world alight in 2019. It will likely garner some positive press columns, but all the praise in the world from the likes of Polygon isn't going to correct the record for a great many people, least of all when they sniff a rat. Pulling those false DCMAs was a stupid move on their part, just as it was a stupid move for unknown worlds to cave to a vocal minority and fire their sound designer over pointless twitter BS from years back. There's plenty of things to get truly outraged about in this world, and what someone said is 120 characters or less is rarely ever one of them.

David___

Banned
Sigh. Me comparing the Campo Santo situation and this one wasn't to draw a 1:1 comparison. I couldn't care less what PDP's monetary situation is.

Here's the facts:
the employee faced consequences based on things he said on twitter.

PDP faced consequences for what he said on stream even though the company that gave the consequences had nothing to do with the stream in question(in this case I'm saying PUBG is like, not is, twitter since what he said had nothing to do with him and Camp Santo's relationship, like people claiming that twitter has no relationship to their job and he shouldn't face consequences for what he said.)
Both games suffered review bombings because of the course the devs decided to take.

Here is Jon's take on Subnautica
I couldn't care less about the game. But I love seeing people making a statement against the dictatorship of the Political Correctness that cowardly fired that guy for having the "wrong" opinions.
I was curious to see how far he would stand by those beliefs, which is why I asked the question to begin with.
That's all.

Darryl

Banned
And how did you feel about it? I'm sure we can all agree that what Pewdiepie (PDP) said was wrong, and as I understand it he publicly apologized afterwards. Yet despite having said they wouldn't DCMA any lets plays the Firewatch team did have his let's play of the game (which garnered them a lot of exposure) removed. I don't imagine that the removal of those youtube remotely impacted PDPs bottom line at all. Any money he'd have made off of views would have been achieved around the game's launch. So to whose benefit was the removal? Save Sean Vannamans fragile ego and desire to virtue signal to his few thousand twitter followers? When people apologise for a misdeed, it's generally considered good form to accept it and move on no? Instead, the many wheels of the internet turn and turn and one's misdeeds, no matter how inconsequential in the grand scheme of things are churned over and over forever, and no matter the apology can seemingly never be forgiven.

To you, I dare say that the downvoting of Firewatch somehow seemed as an endorsement of what PDP said, and perhaps for some people there may be some truth in that (because people are complex), for others however they'd maybe see it as a developer being rightly censured for reneging on their own word.

It's true, for whatever reason you can't seem to apologize on the internet right now. The overall internet community isn't willing to hold the banner's and say that anything needs to be cohesive.

TrainedRage

Banned
Why must we bring Pewds into this? I like him so that means you cant say anything bad about him. :mad:
How is Subnautica VR? I have a Vive but haven't tried it.

grumpyGamer

Here is a supposedly controversial post, PDP said "nigger" so what??, does that make him racist? or you were offended just because he used the word??.
Why is the word in itself bad?? it is the context and the person ideas and morality that makes a person racist, we do not know he is, we know nothing we just presume with our huge egos like we know better, and you can apply this to almost everything.
I have friends that are black, i have trans people who are my friends, i joke a lot with it, about it, does that make me a recist?? ignorant?? no it does not.
Neither does a man saying nigger make him racist, nor does a man needs to be fired because hu used some of his dark humor or because he joked on the internet.

Sometime I really start to think that the world is crazy, everyone seems spoiled and cries for everything,and everything is a problem and everything needs to be fixed.
Why all the protection against everything, why all the fuking egos inflate so much, breath people, if you want to go nuts abut things go about things that matter.

Top Bottom