• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subway restaurants really SUCK now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their lunch and dinner stuff is supremely mediocre, but I dig a good breakfast flatbread. Egg, double bacon, pepperjack cheese, tomatoes, onions, sriracha. Mmmmm.

I recently discovered Which Wich, and they do a FANTASTIC buffalo chicken, not least 'cause they've got Bleu Cheese. Been meaning to go back...

NastyBook

Firehouse subs is the king.
I was eating there for a couple of weeks, but their meats started sitting in my chest. I wasn't even wolfing their shit down either.

Now I'm just getting this Italian sub with Boar's Head meats on it from the Kroger next to my job.

saunderez

Obviously there is regional variation going on here, Subway is fine here Australia. I had it last week and it was as good as it's ever been IMO.

LupusWarrior

Neo Member
Subway is great in Ontario Canada. Could eat it every week. It's cheap, tastes good, not terrible for you and the smell can make a bad day good.

Ovid

Subway is great in Ontario Canada. Could eat it every week. It's cheap, tastes good, not terrible for you and the smell can make a bad day good.
Don't know about Canada but in the U.S. once you enter Subway the smell stays on you and turns a good day bad.

Tevious

Here in Korea, it's pretty much the ONLY place I can go to get a decent sandwich. It sucks that they only have white cheddar cheese though. I really miss provolone as an option.

I think Subway is pretty decent if you just want a turkey, ham, club, spicy Italian, BMT, etc. kind of sandwich. I can't really comment on the tuna or "crab", since I never eat that. Their bread is pretty good, provided you actually get it fresh. Anyone complaining about it being rubbery clearly got old bread. Their steak subs have never been that great as far back as I can remember. Meatball could be good, but their sauce sucks.

When I lived back in the states last year, a Marco's Pizza opened up near my home that had really excellent subs, especially the steak and meatball subs. I usually went with them over Subway, when I wanted a sandwich. I'm not sure what all the praise is for with Publix subs. The quality of the ingredients was pretty good, sure, but their bread was always way too tough and chewy. Every time. Even when I just bought their bread to make my own subs with.

I had Subway for lunch today and it was what I've come to expect from Subway which is a pretty decent hoagie for their price point. Other chains do it better, but Subway is cheaper and has more locations. So basically they're the McDonalds of sub shops, but more palatable than McDonalds.

Yeah they give you less meat and cheese and other options than they used to, but that's how they keep the prices low.

saunderez

Here in Korea, it's pretty much the ONLY place I can go to get a decent sandwich. It sucks that they only have white cheddar cheese though. I really miss provolone as an option.

In Australia we get cheddar, old english and swiss.....I used to be an old english fan but it has a really strong taste and I've converted to swiss.

UFO

Banned
Subway has the worst subs of any sub place in the country. Walk into any deli or grocery store and you'll get a better and maybe cheaper sub then subway.

I've never ordered a Big Mac at Mcdonalds and have them tell me they ran out of buns so I can only have it with the Fillet o Fish buns. lol. .

That's happened before. We had to take longer to take a Quarter Pounder bun and put the bottom of a regular bun in the middle. It sucked. That has only ever happened once, thankfully.

The Giant

Banned
I have heard that subway sucks in america. Just like alot of things. Subway in Australia is pretty good and our subways don't have that halal crap.

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
I've definitely noticed a decline of quality. There are convenient Subway locations near both work and home. I could count on one hand the number of times I've been to Subway in the last 4 years. I used to go there at least once a week.

Imo subway has a better choice of bread (italian herbs and cheese) then other places and bacon is available.

Quiznos was my second favorite place (the meat you can dip in the hot sauce), but it was pricey and I only got it cause in university on the meal plan there was dollars to use for it (well we also had subway there too I guess, alternated). Firehouse, jersey mikes, jimmy johns all decent but I think subway is still more variety and better taste in bread.

Only meat quality issue I had was with the chicken but they seemed to have changed it as of late so it doesnt seem to be pale looking.

I do sometimes avoid some subway veggies, cucumbers can look very thin sometimes and the lettuce can also look oldish later in the day, but at least you can see them make it and decide which ones you want on it.

Every once in a while I go there for their white chocolate chip macademia nut cookies. I love them.

I don't think the subs have ever been anything special.

akira28

I went to McDonalds and got a 4 piece and small fry. actually made me sick. I want to cry. This is not America! No!

Subway cookies are still worth it.

Persona7

Banned
turkey and provolone is bland but hits the spot sometimes

haven't been in like a year though. those cookies are good tho

Compared to even other chain sandwich shops, and even mom n pop spots, they are fairly quick, convenient and cheap. They are all over the place, you can walk in and walk out with a sandwich in about 5 minutes and it will cost you $5. Same reason someone might go to McDonalds or Burger King over, say, In N Out or some upscale burger joint.

eh. I'm from the philly area. the number of hoagie joints (including WaWa which is literally every five feet here) that destroy subway on price and quality is astronomical.

Only tourists eat there. finding one is needle in a haystack difficult where people actually live.

NightOnyx

I haven't gone to Subway too often lately. It's fine, but even when they make it perfect, it's still nothing special. I much rather go to Firehouse or Jersey Mike's. Both are a few dollars more, but it's worth it to know you're going to get a good sub every time.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Any pictoral examples of the one long cheese? Can't remember a foot long slice of cheese.

And removal of wedge cut was indeed a sad day.
Subway melt for life.
Jimmy johns is on same level.
Jersey mikes is loads better.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
We need a poll on sandwich shops to settle this once and for all.

Jersey Mike's is the GOAT. Which Wich is good but I feel like they're overpriced.

Eos

I've always loved their veggie subs cuz that's the only one I can eat. Never found anything wrong with it

saunderez

cheese1.png

I just realised they still do the cheese the bottom way here in Australia. That combined with the different cheese choices (only white cheddar in Korea, no provolone here) shows theres way more regional variation than I originally thought.

SaviorX

I don't know when or why it happened either, but they went from great (for fast food at least) in the late 2000s to inedible sometime around 2010-2011.

I really can't explain it but I never eat there anymore unless it's a last resort situation

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'll have the meal deal with two sugar cookies and a foot long meatball on italian herbs and cheese

i got a meatball sub and the first meatball i bit into was completely fucking gross. the center was extremely firm and cold, yet had the appearance of being charred. i gagged and threw that shit away. that was 5 years ago and i haven't been back since.

ryseing

We need a poll on sandwich shops to settle this once and for all.

Jersey Mike's is the GOAT. Which Wich is good but I feel like they're overpriced.

For chains Jersey Mikes is definitely the GOAT. They're the only sandwich place that lives up to their fresh ingredients marketing.

And as the other poster said Mike's Way is delicious. I skip the onions though.

Subways was great cause the food wasnt that bad and it was pretty cheap thanks to the $5 footlong. Then they phased that out, i think i ate at subways no more than twice after that

Poeton

From the ages of 15 till I was maybe 23 I have worked at:

Subway,
Quiznos,
A chain in Austin called Thunder Cloud Subs,
The Deli Dept. in a Publix in Florida,
And a Jimmy Johns, back in Austin.

And I can tell you all, without a shadow of a doubt, if you aren't putting capicola on your italian subs you can fuck right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom