• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subway restaurants really SUCK now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been ages since I've had Subway, so now I'm scared to try it and ruin what positive memories I have. Come to think of it, it's been a while since I've had a sub in general. Maybe I should try Firehouse some time. I hear they give you a free sub on your birthday.

Undefined

Subway is my favorite. And im not gonna let the actions of Jared change my opinion of their high quality sandwiches.

Subway is awesome. Quiznos sux.

Machine

Subway was pretty good when I first tried it in the '80s. The quality has gone significantly downhill over the years. I prefer DiBella's now.

Nekofrog

Banned
i dunno

i order 6 inch wheat turkey/black forest ham/lettuce sandwich with no sauces/dressings. i think that's as healthy as i'm going to get on the go with the rate at my day goes.

Rocketz

Yeah it's gone straight in the trash over the past few years. The quality of the ingredients are terrible. I havnt gone to one in over a year. Jimmy Johns is my go to sub place.

Faddy

Banned
i dunno

i order 6 inch wheat turkey/black forest ham/lettuce sandwich with no sauces/dressings. i think that's as healthy as i'm going to get on the go with the rate at my day goes.

That ham is definitely not from the Black Forest. All their meat is shit and bland.

Cody_D165

Banned
I find subway is the most incredibly inconsistent restaurant franchise in the world from location to location. My local Subway is actually rather enjoyable but if I order my usual stuff at another location out of town or out of state it's got the potential to suck so much it' almost like I'm eating something entirely different.

Prices seem to vary radically depending on location too.

dude fuck subway

it's all about that jersey mike's

ls.jpg

just look at it

Holy fuck that looks disgusting. Jersey Mike's is great, though, as is Jimmy Johns.

Subway has never been great, but the hyperbole in this thread is pretty ridiculous. It's the equivalent of Gaf's notion that eating a taco from Taco Bell will cause explosive diarrhea.

Grover

Banned
i went to a subway in walmart and they forgot to put my meat in, they left it in the microwave,

i really wasn't paying attention when i was telling them what extras to put on, so i didn't really notice, and just assumed they knew what they were doing,

but when i sat down i noticed and had to go back up to tell them they left my meat in the microwave lol

gonna be honest though, i love subway's food, i get steak and cheese everytime, tastes so good, a foot of sandwich isn't even enough to satisfy me

commedieu

Banned
Holy fuck that looks disgusting. Jersey Mike's is great, though, as is Jimmy Johns.

Subway has never been great, but the hyperbole in this thread is pretty ridiculous. It's the equivalent of Gaf's notion that eating a taco from Taco Bell will cause explosive diarrhea.

Everyone knows that Taco Bell trope is bullshit.

its 2 tacos.

GavinGT

Banned
Subways are often staffed with idiot teenagers, and there isn't always a manager around. If they don't make the bread, or if they make too little bread, or if they get too busy and they can't keep up on the bread (it's requires upkeep throughout the process), then there's no bread. McDonald's is likewise staffed with idiots, but at least there's always an adult around to oversee them. That's the difference between a store that makes $15k a week (Subway) and one that makes $50k a week (McDonald's).

The bread at McDonald's really isn't equivalent, because it just arrives on a truck and it's ready to use.

Also, regarding the cheese, I don't ever recall the cheese you're describing. Perhaps it was a regional thing, because I worked there starting in 2003 and the cheese was always small pieces.

Oh, and the steak in the steak and cheese was always horrible quality and lacking in taste. It hasn't changed. That's why you smother it with Chipotle sauce.

That smell is unique.
Yep, which should signal to everyone that Subway food isn't real food.

Either the smell is phony or the bread actually smells like that, and neither is appealing. Why would I want to eat bread that smells like no other bread on the planet? Food marketing is weird.

gamz

Potbelly > all other sandwiches. Not sure if it's just a regional thing tho

I grew tired of Potbelly. Haven't eaten there in years and don't miss it.

Awesome pickles though!

For me the best Subs are at a good Italian Deli.

mackattk

Yeah, they have gone downhill..

The meat seems to cut thinner and with less surface area, the quality of the meat seems to be lower as well, even the quality of the vegetables has suffered. It might just be this location, but it seems like they were all kind of old...

All I'll ever get at Subway is a Spicy Italian. IMO, the steak and other meats that they have to microwave have always been shitty.

Zukkoyaki

We have a ton of local sandwich joints where I live including this place called Pepperjax that has by far the best philly sandwich (and others) I've ever had. Honestly a bit cheaper than Subway as well and they cook it on a flattop as soon as you order it.

I go there every now and again, they have a store a few miles from my home so if I'm off work and doing shit around the house, I'll go grab myself a sweet onion chicken teriyaki.

Living in a city does have its advantages, I'm happy to finally say. If I do want some variety, there's three or four locally-owned sub shops within reasonable distance, plus some pizza places and some nice bars.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I go 30mins out of my way for a good sub. I'd rather eat later than eat subway now.

A good sub shop loads yo shit up

KT1W6yR.jpg

I wouldn't know since I haven't been to one in a couple of years. It was ok, but if the quality has gone down, then it must be really bad now.

Bubba T

Most (All) Fast food tastes like garbage and has the same pricing of sit down restaurants, which makes the place almost worthless.

n0razi

Their bread is terrible which is the main reason I dont eat there... Jimmy Johns bread is superior... the other ingredients are all pretty much the same at any sandwich shop

ekimneems

Neo Member
Legitimate question: Does the rest of the United States not have real delis? Here in NJ, every deli (and there are lots of them) are like Jersey Mike's and probably even put them to shame: freshly sliced meat piled super high, sliced thin, good NY-style Italian bread, no cheese triangles, etc.

Why anyone would go to Subway when they can go to a real deli is just beyond me; but even here in NJ, people still go. Blows my mind.

Also, this: Real People are Referring to Sandwiches as Homemade Subway

I've sways seen Subway as the McDonald's of sandwich shops. Just mediocre all around on a good day. I will eat the hell outta some Jimmy Johns though.

Legitimate question: Does the rest of the United States not have real delis? Here in NJ, every deli (and there are lots of them) are like Jersey Mike's and probably even put them to shame: freshly sliced meat piled super high, sliced thin, good NY-style Italian bread, no cheese triangles, etc.

Why anyone would go to Subway when they can go to a real deli is just beyond me; but even here in NJ, people still go. Blows my mind.

In my experience, real delis are quite a bit more prevalent in the north than they are down here. They do exist though. Actually the Spec's liquor store near my office has a badass deli inside.

I don't mind Subway but it's certainly not as good as it was 10-15 years ago.

I always go to the same one and get the same thing, though (ham on flatbread with almost every vegetable), and my local Subway still stuffs it full of veggies and stuff. No complaints.

I probably eat there once a month.

Machine

When I go to the deli, they usually don't have many sandwiches on sub/hoagie bread. The sandwiches are more like this:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom