• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subway restaurants really SUCK now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like subway. I don't have issue with their wheat bread and I like getting it built topping by topping so I can change it or just get exactly what I want every time. I don't like having a pre-build on the sandwhich where you have to tell them when you order it what you don't want on there.

I REALLY like their breakfast. I feel like it's the only fast food I can get around here that will have any veggies in it. Bacon egg and cheese on flat bread with tomatoes, onions, peppers and guac is great.

hydruxo

Subway is trash. I had one directly next to my dorm in college and after a while I really just came to despise the place. Give me Jersey Mikes or Firehouse Subs any day of the week.

Number_6

Jimmy Johns for cold
Penn Station for hot
Mr. Hero for guilt

I moved to FL a few years back so the latter two are no longer available to me except when I go back to visit. FL sucks for food, IMO.

Never liked Subway. Had the occasional steak and cheese on flat bread in a pinch though.

Absolute statements are very popular on this forum. Very rarely are the various gradients inbetween discussed.
Do people really need to have more nuanced, carefully-considered opinions on Subway for you? Should we be reviewing this ubiquitous chain on a scale of 100, with decimal points for added precision?

How do most people talk about fast food? "I love it" "I like it" "It's all right" "It's cheap" "Gross" Do we need more?

Fonz72

Subway is cheap. It's good for what you pay for. Lol, at all the Firehouse and Quiznos comparisons. $5-7 footlong vs $11-13 footlong.

Not sure about their meats but I always order their tuna subs only, and they've always tasted good to me...

Tuna salad tastes good, get some provolone and cheddar cheese, all the veggies with some siracha sauce. Everything tastes fine.

KorrZ

I like Subway just fine. I mean, sure it's not like super awesome best sub ever. For a quick, cheap and filling meal though that's not too far down the "this isn't good for me" scale it's definitely serviceable.

Also there's one on the corner of my block so I go there a lot heh.

mcz117chief

Subway is cheap. It's good for what you pay for. Lol, at all the Firehouse and Quiznos comparisons. $5-7 footlong vs $11-13 footlong.

Subway is definitely not cheap where I live. One sub sandwich is for some people 2 hours worth of wage or more. I guess that explains why Subway is pretty deluxe in Czech Republic, only tourists use it, it is way too expensive for locals.

Ovid

I only eat Subway if I need a quick, cheap meal. It really is terrible though.

Quiznos will always be the best.

E92 M3

Do people really need to have more nuanced, carefully-considered opinions on Subway for you? Should we be reviewing this ubiquitous chain on a scale of 100, with decimal points for added precision?

How do most people talk about fast food? "I love it" "I like it" "It's all right" "It's cheap" "Gross" Do we need more?

Extrapolating my statement too much. I was just making a general statement that absolute statements are rather popular.

gamz

Not sure about their meats but I always order their tuna subs only, and they've always tasted good to me...

Tuna salad tastes good, get some provolone and cheddar cheese, all the veggies with some siracha sauce. Everything tastes fine.

Yep. I get the tuna or veggie sub. Never let me down.

CloudWolf

Ok,
Throughout university (2001 - 2006) I was a Subway sandwich fiend. That's all I ate along with Ramen noodles because I was poor and wanted something healthy.
Maybe this is different in the US, but in The Netherlands Subway is fucking expensive. If you're a student and constantly eating Subway, you're basically living a life of luxury or need to be more smart with money.

Schlep

They're not bad for what they are, but as others have said, it's McDonald's level. They did a good job for a while convincing people that it's a better value/healthier/better tasting than fast food. Now, just within 2 miles of here, there's: Potbelly, Firehouse Subs, Jason's Deli, La Madeleine, Jersey Mike's, McAlister's, Jimmy John's, Which Wich, Zoe's Kitchen, and a local grilled cheese shop.

Lots of competition from places with much tastier food, and Subway doesn't have that unique Taco Bell or McDonald's taste where you know it's garbage, but you come back anyway.

minx

Subway has sucked for a long time. Nothing is "fresh" plus they put your sandwich in a microwave oven and not a proper one with a conveyor belt.

daveo42

Banned
Subway is serviceable for the price. It's nothing really special, but it does a decent job in filling you up. I'd personally go to Penn Station if I wanted a toasted sub.

Subway is less than average.

Publix subs are vastly superior.

This guys gets it. I always make sure to grab a few Publix subs when I visit family in Florida.

Frodo

Sometimes I get a Subway craving so I go there and order a foot long of whatever the sub of the day is and order extra olives and extra jalapeños. I feel no shame.

It is not like they advertise luxury meals or anything.

Fonz72

The problem is that it wasn't always like that though. The quality has gone to shit since they introduced the $5 foot long (2009).

The quality went to shit well before then. It was when they introduced all the different breads, sauces, and veggies.

Jag

i have a laspadas hoagies accross the street from my campus. and a publix and costco nearby. no need for subway for me

I'm assuming you are referring to the one on University. Love that place, but i'm not sure anyone outside of SoFla knows about it.

Thanks GAF I had quiznos for lunch.

Why do they not put mustard and mayo on their sandwiches? Why is it always some weird sauce? Ranch, Chilli sauce etc............

Whats the problem?

tumblr_m19dfjKjQ71qzz2q3o1_500.gif
The change to the hinge cut was the beginning of the end for me.

I still get the same sub I've gotten since the early '90's and it tastes the exact same as it always did:

Spicy Italian /w- Orange Cheddar, Lettuce, Onions, Black Olives, Jalepeno Peppers, Mustard, Mayo & Italian

I've gotten this sub almost 99% of the times I've ever gone to a subway, and it has not changed one iota in over 20 years.

My taste for the sub has diminished over the years, since I just don't enjoy fast food as much, but yeah, it's the same crap as always.

But they never were quick, convenient, cheap. They tend to be greasy, depending on what is on the sandwich.

Compared to even other chain sandwich shops, and even mom n pop spots, they are fairly quick, convenient and cheap. They are all over the place, you can walk in and walk out with a sandwich in about 5 minutes and it will cost you $5. Same reason someone might go to McDonalds or Burger King over, say, In N Out or some upscale burger joint.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Maybe former or current employees can chime in, but they fucked with the Buffalo Chicken haven't they?

Before the chicken was almost stewed into the sauce and kept in a bin like meatballs/tuna, if I asked for double meat, good Lord the amount you got
Then they put them in these little cardboard boats, portion size, double the meat meant 2 more of those controlled size portions, look liked less meat
Then now it just looks Luke chopped up plain vanilla chicken breast in same boat size portions almost like 3/4th of a breast, then buffalo sauce squeezed on top, which is blasphemy in my opinion

I miss my Toasted Double Meat Buffalo Chicken footlong Sub on Herbs/Cheese with Green and Red Peppers, maybe American/Swiss
Always asked the veggies to get nuked with meat, bread, and cheese

I stopped going there when they shifted to this lame ass savings yet rose the prices
My local fast food Chinese shop has beaten Subway
I can order 1/2 fried chicken with buffalo sauce and French fried for $5.50
Go to papa John's and if I do t have the cunty employees, grab ranch/blue cheese drippings for free or pay $0.50
So $6 gets me a good fucking meal...

devilhawk

You honestly can't get a footlong in Seattle for less than 8. It's 10 for any of the decent ones. They even advertise a 6 inch with a drink combo for 7.

I think the quality of Subway sandwiches has really dipped in the last few years.

I know there are gaffers who didn't like it before but I didn't mind it a few years ago but can hardly touch the stuff now.
They dropped their prices down to 5 and had to drop quality to compete. Since then they have raised prices and kept the quality the same.

Yeah, Subway has gone downhill. I've always preferred a local sub place here in KC called Mr. Goodcents or Planet Sub, which is also local but expanding quickly to be a regional midwest thing.
Damn, I miss these both.

The original Yellow Sub (changed their name to Planet when they opened in joco) was in Lawrence. Loved that place so much.

Roc

Neo Member
I had the chicken breast the other day, and for once I didn't enjoy it. The chicken tasted bad, almost like it wasn't even actual chicken. I don't think I'm going back.

draetenth

Still my favorite subs. I love their Turkey, Spinach, Mayo, and Pickle subs. Any place that doesn't require me to say "hold the onions/cheese/tomatoes" is fine by me. It could also have to do with the Subway you go to...

I've gone to the same one for 10 years now. I've had the same two people wait on me the whole time (there is also a third person who has changed). I've been there so often, I don't have to give my order: the lady in front gets my bread (footlong white/italian), meat (turkey), no cheese) without asking. The guy at the end/cashier knows I get a meal with 2 cookies and a bottle of coke. It probably takes about a couple of minutes at most for my order.

GhostBed

Subway is pretty alright when you're a vegetarian. Their veggie patties are pretty good, and if you go to the right stores, their bread isn't half bad either. I'm pretty forgiving of most fast food, tho.

People on gaf make it seem like every fast food restaurant serves steamed feces. Hyperbole gets crazy sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom