• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad artist reveals unused Joker concepts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally like my Joker with dreadlocks.

toonami-joker-the-batman.jpg

Still got style.

Guys... I'm pretty sure it says "sekret," not "sexret." "Let me tell you a sexret" makes no damn sense. It's still fucking stupid though.

Jesus Christ, these are some next level terrible designs though. Looked up the costume designer and she's never made anything this abjectly awful before. What happened? Did Ayer mandate this?

Anung

Un Rama

We at Warner Brothers want a Joker with attitude. He's edgy, he's "in your face." You've heard the expression, "let's get busy"? Well, this is a Joker who gets "biz-zay!" Consistently and thoroughly.

I feel we should gangsta-fy him by 10 percent.

Let's put him in a "Muay Thai" context.

I understand wanting to go in a different direction and not rehash the same concepts over and over. But I just can't stand gangstA Joker.

Also Harley concept is just sucky. Seems like the general concept of these two character designs is to put their character descriptions on their clothes. JOKER PUDDIN PUDDIN HAHA

MUnited83

For you.
Honestly I'd be up for all of this if they full Die Antwoord with it. Cast Ninja as Joker and Yolanda as Harley Quinn, and make it as trashy as possible. I'd watch that.

Bob White

So it was always going to look like shit? God...everything about this new joker is so shill fuck it's not even funny. He looks like what a board of old people think young people like.

kevin1025

Banned
Concept or not, final version or not, I don't understand where they're going with this new direction for the universe. I'm glad some are liking it, but the appeal in these first two movies so far is not winning me over. That could really just be my feeling on their overall quality, but I think it's more than that. There's something missing in these films, they feel really hollow and like they are chasing trends and what the market is asking for. But then critically they are getting pummeled for it, since the market doesn't really want something that was specifically mechanically made for the market.

Long story short, this doesn't feel right, haha.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Honestly I'd be up for all of this if they full Die Antwoord with it. Cast Ninja as Joker and Yolanda as Harley Quinn, and make it as trashy as possible. I'd watch that.

It's called Chappie and it's also terrible.

Do you think they even look at these images when they ask their concept people to make them? Do they look at the comics? Real human beings?
Like... how do you even get your head in a place where you put this shit together as an artist and sit back and go like.. "Yeeeaaa.... yeeeeeaaaaahhh! Done!"

MUnited83

For you.
It's called Chappie and it's also terrible.

Do you think they even look at these images when they ask their concept people to make them? Do they look at the comics? Real human beings?
Like... how do you even get your head in a place where you put this shit together as an artist and sit back and go like.. "Yeeeaaa.... yeeeeeaaaaahhh! Done!"
Chappie is a guilty pleasure of mine thank you very much.

Azazzel

We at Warner Brothers want a Joker with attitude. He's edgy, he's "in your face." You've heard the expression, "let's get busy"? Well, this is a Joker who gets "biz-zay!" Consistently and thoroughly.

I feel we should gangsta-fy him by 10 percent.

Let's put him in a "Muay Thai" context.

- 79 year old executive at WB.

Apathy

Reminds me a lot of the Nick cage in the Superman costume that looked horrible (because of the context and lighting)

tumblr_m28ii1crg01qztzndo1_500.jpg

Either way the concept art pieces look horrendous. Seriously how could anyone think they look good

Alienous

They need to start hiring people who have respect for these characters.

Feige would shoot someone if he was presented concept art like this for a Marvel character.

Werd

Did the comics actually heavily use the "ha ha ha" written on walls and such imagery for Joker? I remember it being on marketing/merchandise materials, especially for TDK, but haven't read many of the comics.

Even if so, it just seems out of place in "gritty" live action.. let alone as tattoos.

....aanyway, when the Joker images first showed up I remember some kind of quote that the tattoos and such had a reason and would be explained. Did we get anything?

Fury451

Banned
Did the comics actually heavily use the "ha ha ha" written on walls and such imagery for Joker? I remember it being on marketing/merchandise materials, especially for TDK, but haven't read many of the comics.

Even if so, it just seems out of place in "gritty" live action.. let alone as tattoos.

....aanyway, when the Joker images first showed up I remember some kind of quote that the tattoos and such had a reason and would be explained. Did we get anything?

It is used in the comics, and there's been some pretty ridiculous schemes the Joker has had. It's all about execution though, and the execution here was rather generic and silly.

Him having tattoos on it's own isn't necessarily bad, but having such absurdly on-the-nose tattoos like "damaged" or "ha ha ha" sticks out as being pretty ridiculous.

To me Joker doesn't really seem like much of a tattoo guy to begin with though. I could see him doing some form of self mutilation, but that's far too graphic for the audience they want for a movie like this.

Negaduck

So I'm not a big fan of the designs. Or at least the direction for these specific characters.

I wouldn't be upset with the concept artist (I actually like the final Harley concept), I'd put the blame towards the art director or the director of the movie who probably pushed this aesthetic.

Sometimes us artist have to draw things with don't like but the Job is the job. Could have had a dope design but when presented could have been told to change everything (just a guess)

Kthulhu

So I'm not a big fan of the designs. Or at least the direction for these specific characters.

I wouldn't be upset with the concept artist (I actually like the final Harley concept), I'd put the blame towards the art director or the director of the movie who probably pushed this aesthetic.

Sometimes us artist have to draw things with don't like but the Job is the job. Could have had a dope design but when presented could have been told to change everything (just a guess)

Oh yeah. I don't blame the artist, I blame the person who told them to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom