• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zacks Synder when they booed him at Comic-Con
giphy.gif

Not cool man.

Not cool.

It's just a damn movie.

Oh wait, you're right, I don't hear anything.

Most surprising thing is that Conan is the MC.

Uh just go see it on your own?

lol?

I've never been to the cinema alone and if there ever ever was a movie I was desperate enough to watch to go alone, it sure wouldn't be SQ.

I mean I'm sure I could find someone to watch it with easily enough if I cared, I was just annoyed that my sunday plans fell through because of it, and one before because of bvs.

Anth0ny

Breaking story: Millionaires also have emotions and things that they're passionate about.

my point is the millionaire doesn't have to really feel hurt by some snot nosed kids booing him at a nerd convention. he's obviously doing something right in the grand scheme of things.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
In relation to Scott Eastwood's character (Spoiler):

What a waste lol. Weren't they kinda hyping him up saying that he was an integral part of the movie cause he worked so close with Flagg? Who knew that all that meant was that he was just the stand-in suicide bomber and is gone in an instant.

Had the same problem with the big bad brother just being GONE from one explosion underneath him.

Zacks Synder when they booed him at Comic-Con
giphy.gif
Damn that's disrespectful. Can't say I like any of his movies, but I have to give him props for actually getting watchmen out as a completed film after years of sitting in development hell.

As misguided as his attempts are, I never got that he was anything less than a hard worker who genuinely believed in what he was doing. Not just some con man looking for easy payouts.

In relation to Scott Eastwood's character (Spoiler):

What a waste lol. Weren't they kinda hyping him up saying that he was an integral part of the movie cause he worked so close with Flagg? Who knew that all that meant was that he was just the stand-in suicide bomber and is gone in an instant.

Had the same problem with the big bad brother just being GONE from one explosion underneath him.

lol I can't even
remember if he died in the movie or just disappeared.

The booing was really unnecessary. I imagine Snyder is under huge mental stress at the moment.

Yeah, that's really shitty. Like, I can get why some people don't like the movie, but I honestly think the dude did the best job he thought he could do. And still, it's just so crass to boo the dude. It's easy for us to sit in the crowds and criticize and jeer, it's tougher being the people actually trying to put this stuff together.

inm8num2

The booing of Snyder is silly and mean. He's not a swindler or con artist. Snyder is a nice dude who just wasn't a great pick for the DCCU, but he's worked his ass off regardless of his vision not quite being what people were hoping to see.

Save the boos for Adam Sandler.

Wow James Wan is so tiny.

Especially when standing next to Beastfleck.

I don't think we need to feel bad for the multi millionaire on stage getting booed by a crowd of people who paid to watch his movie.

So if a person is rich he stops being a person, and deserves no respect or empathy? Should we give up basic decency because the person on the receiving end is rich?

Watched the movie this morning.

I think a mix of studio shenanigans, editing, and reactions to sleeper successes such as deadpool really make this a hard movie to accept from a critical standpoint. I don't outright hate it or even dislike it but the movie feels a lot like a college movie project with a huge budget. That feeling comes directly from the editing.

I watched BvS ultimate edition last night and that extra half an hour actually made a difference. I am curious if we are going to get an ultimate edition/directors cut of this movie. As far as comic book movies are concerned I stopped trying to match them to my favorite comics and have accepted that they are a directors take on an idea.

I give this movie in it's current state 2/5. Editing really ruined it and the first third of the movie feels forced.

Sidenote: Will Smith did a good job, he didn't Will Smith it up and I like that.

I haven't really liked any of Snyder's movies, but booing him for that reason would be very dumb and disrespectful. He's still a talented man that managed to do things many people can only dream about. I respect the guy, no matter how much I dislike his works.

RDreamer

lol?

I've never been to the cinema alone and if there ever ever was a movie I was desperate enough to watch to go alone, it sure wouldn't be SQ.

I mean I'm sure I could find someone to watch it with easily enough if I cared, I was just annoyed that my sunday plans fell through because of it, and one before because of bvs.

It's so weird that seeing a movie is somehow considered a group activity.

Some entertaining scenes and characters. The story/plot, tone, pacing, and editing are a mess. Not a good movie but not Batman vs. Superman bad. And Batman vs. Superman is a horrible movie. I really wish DC and WB would just take their time. They have so much rich source material and wonderful characters. It shouldn't be a race. Slow down, take their time, give the DC Universe the love and attention it deserves. My two cents.

CrayToes

I say this with absolutely no sarcasm or hyperbole. Suicide Squad is one of the worst movies I've ever seen in the cinema. I was hoping it would at least be fun but it's just not. I didn't stop cringing for more than 5 seconds.

It's hard to explain but it just felt like a continuous stream of trailers. It didn't feel anything like a movie.

Just saw this an hour ago and was kind of surprised. Given the reviews, I was expecting a much worse movie than what I got, which was fairly mediocre. What kills me is that I enjoyed Suicide Squad more than the lifeless experiences of Snyders films, yet theres so little actually going on in the movie that I cant really call it good in the end.

The characters are, without a doubt, the best aspect. I like their little quirks, quips, and backstories, but it's all in the service of a script that is just too hollow. The villan is lame, and her henchmen are just generic cgi creatures that go down with a hit of a bat. Hell, even the plan to defeat the villains is standard action movie stuff. The style is nice, and I have no real problems with the direction. It's just that the script seemed to let everything down.

Given the reviews, I was expecting a much worse movie than what I got, which was fairly mediocre.

Suicide Squad's reviews are mediocre. It's rated 40/100 on Metacritic and 4.7/10 on RottenTomatoes. And that's not like a video game where anything under 7 for a AAA game is shit tier. Movie reviewers tend to use the full scale. So a 4-5/10 movie is mediocre, leaning bad. Not outright bad.

Suicide Squad's reviews are mediocre. It's rated 40/100 on Metacritic and 4.7/10 on RottenTomatoes. And that's not like a video game where anything under 7 for a AAA game is shit tier. Movie reviewers tend to use the full scale. So a 4-5/10 movie is mediocre, leaning bad. Not outright bad.

True. I just have a weird way of registering reviews in my mind. Most films below 50/100 are a definite "not see" for me.

It's interesting to me just how polarizing this film is, plenty of instances where two posts next to each other have opposite opinions.

For real. Even MoS leaned more towards disliking it for most people, and BvS nearly everyone hated it. SS is a straight-up divider between "eh, it was alright" and "fuck, I hated that".

For real. Even MoS leaned more towards disliking it for most people, and BvS nearly everyone hated it. SS is a straight-up divider between "eh, it was alright" and "fuck, I hated that".
I think it's kinda cool though, just seeing a range of opinions so complicated different from each other all over the same thing, makes discussion more interesting (at least when people are civilized) then when it's unanimously one way. I can generally at least somewhat agree or understand everyone opinion on the film no matter if they loved it or hated it. So I think that's kinda cool too.

Nuszka

Came back like an hour ago , pure mess of a movie. Wife wanted to leave at about 40 minute mark but end result she fell asleep. No joke. There was nothing mediocre about it, everything was just bad. BvS compared to this feels actually good. Don't waste your time and money please.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Came back like an hour ago , pure mess of a movie. Wife wanted to leave at about 40 minute mark but end result she fell asleep. No joke. There was nothing mediocre about it, everything was just bad. BvS compared to this feels actually good. Don't waste your time and money please.

Let people make up their own minds, as you can see in this thread, there are many people that were expecting it to be extremely bad and ended up enjoying it.

really?

from what i've seen, its between "its sucks" and "its....not ...horrible".
As was posted above there are plenty of people who enjoyed or loved the film (I liked it a lot, plenty of Issues though) but the people that didn't like it, me aside seem to post a lot more than the people that do, the user rating on Rotten tomatoes was also in the 70's last time I checked, as in 70% of the users that saw it enjoyed it. It's a deeply flawed film due to studio meddling but there are still some special things there, the characters in particular, this take on joker and the flashy style and original soundtrack. That's just my opinion though, ive seen plenty of people hate those things about it, but I think licenced music aside it was done well and after spending $20 on the film, I don't feel like I wasted money.

Really, it was a summer popcorn flick. I wasn't expecting a cinematic masterpiece nor was I expecting it to be great based off the reviews.

My wife and I enjoyed it for what it is. Audience laughed and enjoyed it too... nobody left the theater and shoved racks over. I think hyperbole got the best of this movie.

It's also obvious they cut it for people who have low attention spans, but hey, it was still a decent date movie.

Excited for Wonder Woman though.

Ushay

Just came back from the cinema, I genuinely enjoyed this movie. Was miles better than BvS,

Margo and Smith killed it, they defo need to appear in the BATMAN movies.

The critics are insane, while the editing was a little sloppy it was still a good movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
This isn't backed up by any real fact. If anything reality says otherwise. Majority positive ratings pretty much everywhere and sold better than nearly every single marvel movie on home video.

Beefy

Is it bad I thought BvS was better then this? I saw this earlier and damn it is bad, I thought I watching MTV the first 30- 40 mins.

Cara Devevinge: She is really really bad and ruins the chances of Enchantress actually being a good character.

Jared Leto: Like many have said he just acts as a gangster with face paint and green hair. The laugh seems so forced and really bad.

Will Smith: Plays Will Smith, but I was ok with that.

Margot Robbie: Was pretty good, but I didn't like how she said some of Harley's sayings.

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje: Meh, Killer Croc was boring.

Adam Beach: Should have been pleased he even got his name in the credits (Slipknot)

Jay Hernandez: As Diablo was actually good

Karen Fukuhara: Katana was a nothing character.

Jai Courtney: Was pretty decent as Boomerang.

Editing was beyond shit and the story was boring. Have to say after being so pumped to watch this I was disappointed big time. Next time I watch a DC movie i am going to go in with low expectations, 2/10 movie for me.

How many different songs did they have in this movie? The soundtrack is going to cost a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom