• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I saw it last night. Was $13. Kinda regret going.

I didn't post impressions straight away cuz I thought I wanted to sleep on it, bit I woke up and I still feel it was more of a mess than it was anything else.

They did get a number of things cutely, specially in the middle parts of the movie but the first and last parts were really... whhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyy

The villain (and her brother) was really meh.

No one was really in a believable ' suicide ' mission
except for rope guy, who suicided promptly once the mission started.

And I get the feeling that they didn't really understand where they wanted these characters to stand, with regards to them being so-called the "worst of the worst" villains. I mean they kept saying they're the bad guys but they didn't sell it with their vibes / actions. Most of them only kill other bad guys.
The one that had accidentally killed his own family was the one that was super pacifist for the most of the movie.
Idk. That Waller person was probably much worse than the members of suicide squad. But she's the one who isn't in prison. Lopsided.

Joker was ... off, for me. I mean he was only there for ten minutes or so, so I can be persuaded to see if he'd work out better given more airtime but he was kinda slipping all over the place in ss, for me.

Also how is the joker out in the open, owning a night club and all, etc. Wouldn't it make it easy for batman just to drop in on him at his business place? Like batman did drop on him and hq during the car chase, but after that... After hq is captured and the joker is still up and about, he seems not to even factor that batman might come and get him at all? He just goes on about his daily life, arranging knives and weapons in a circular arrangement so he could lie in the middle and pose and laugh. I mean... If I was batman, I'll probably knock at his nightclub and ask for a second date ( sans Harley ).

It's like... Weird how the joker was busted out of arkham asylum then he was suddenly an open and known nightclub owner in Gotham.

Uuhhh there were other thoughts but I can't remember now. Anyway, I should probably mosey to the spoiler thread...

Oh, there were cute parts in the middle, I think. But I can't remember what they were just now.

The ending was rubbish. Rubbish and boring cgi fight.

Oh

Man. I just remember how much I hate that ending fight.
I got a bit miffed at harley's part at the end... She being the one that cut the enchantress heart out after her stupid ploy. She was all like "can I get joker back?"... And the enchantress was like 👍 "ok" and then Harley (who thought joker had died* and was crying about it just an hour ago) was all like " thanks lady but there's just one teeny weeny problem with that... " then she slash at enchantress chest and took out her heart while shouting something about her friends. Jfdfhfddvhjnbdaaqethvvjgd

Like ugh. No. They made hq narutoesque. Nooooooooo. She wouldn't care about ' friends ' if she had thought she could get joker back. I mean, I know there were other cuts in which the joker had ditched her when the helicopter was falling but! In this cut! The cut that we got! He pushed her to safety and she was shown heartbroken when he seemed to have died with the chopper going down in flames. This is the Harley that would choose her friends over her joker! After a few minutes earlier revealing that her true desire was only to lead a normal suburbia life with the joker!??
Gaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Anyway. I don't feel entertained. I regret spending that money on SS. It was a clusterfuck of a movie.

3/10

Badger

Definitely not as bad as BvS, and going in I wasn't expecting much, but I still left a bit underwhelmed. Felt like all the right pieces were there but the execution was a bit off.

This GIF killed me XD
giphy.gif

I like how it's basically just Batman

Astral Dog

Okay so I saw it last night. Was $13. Kinda regret going.

I didn't post impressions straight away cuz I thought I wanted to sleep on it, bit I woke up and I still feel it was more of a mess than it was anything else.

They did get a number of things cutely, specially in the middle parts of the movie but the first and last parts were really... whhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyy

The villain (and her brother) was really meh.

No one was really in a believable ' suicide ' mission
except for rope guy, who suicided promptly once the mission started.

And I get the feeling that they didn't really understand where they wanted these characters to stand, with regards to them being so-called the "worst of the worst" villains. I mean they kept saying they're the bad guys but they didn't sell it with their vibes / actions. Most of them only kill other bad guys.
The one that had accidentally killed his own family was the one that was super pacifist for the most of the movie.
Idk. That Waller person was probably much worse than the members of suicide squad. But she's the one who isn't in prison. Lopsided.

Joker was ... off, for me. I mean he was only there for ten minutes or so, so I can be persuaded to see if he'd work out better given more airtime but he was kinda slipping all over the place in ss, for me.

Also how is the joker out in the open, owning a night club and all, etc. Wouldn't it make it easy for batman just to drop in on him at his business place? Like batman did drop on him and hq during the car chase, but after that... After hq is captured and the joker is still up and about, he seems not to even factor that batman might come and get him at all? He just goes on about his daily life, arranging knives and weapons in a circular arrangement so he could lie in the middle and pose and laugh. I mean... If I was batman, I'll probably knock at his nightclub and ask for a second date ( sans Harley ).

It's like... Weird how the joker was busted out of arkham asylum then he was suddenly an open and known nightclub owner in Gotham.

Uuhhh there were other thoughts but I can't remember now. Anyway, I should probably mosey to the should thread...

Oh, there were cute parts in the middle, I think. But I can't remember what they were just now.

The ending was rubbish. Rubbish and boring cgi fight.

Oh

Man. I just remember how much I hate that ending fight.
I got a bit miffed at harley's part at the end... She being the one that cut the enchantress heart out after her stupid ploy. She was all like "can I get joker back?"... And the enchantress was like 👍 "ok" and then Harley (who thought joker had died* and was crying about it just an hour ago) was all like " thanks lady but there's just one teeny weeny problem with that... " then she slash at enchantress chest and took out her heart while shouting something about her friends. Jfdfhfddvhjnbdaaqethvvjgd

Like ugh. No. They made hq narutoesque. Nooooooooo. She wouldn't care about ' friends ' if she had thought she could get joker back. I mean, I know there were other cuts in which the joker had ditched her when the helicopter was falling but! In this cut! The cut that we got! He pushed her to safety and she was shown heartbroken when he seemed to have died with the chopper going down in flames. This is the Harley that would choose her friends over her joker! After a few minutes earlier revealing that her true desire was only to lead a normal suburbia life with the joker!??
Gaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Anyway. I don't feel entertained. I regret spending that money on SS. It was a clusterfuck of a movie.

3/10

I thought that actually Harley never showed much remorse over the Jokers "death" she was all about kicking ass with her friends a moment later, this is no Harley Arkham City/Knight at all.

Cipherr

Claims that the movie itself is a clone or something is pretty hard to take seriously, as people were saying that from the first teaser trailer just because it used popular music. The script utilized a couple of jokes too, a technique pioneered in the MCU

The first showing of SS did not have pop music. It carried a completely different and more somber tone than the eventual Ballroom Blitz trailer or whatever that came later. That doesn't mean that it was influenced by GotG. But I can certainly see people making/assuming that connection.

I thought that actually Harley never showed much remorse over the Jokers "death" she was all about kicking ass with her friends a moment later, this is no Harley Arkham City/Knight at all.
She was crying her eyes out just a few scenes earlier, sitting on top of a car, though.

I don't mind if she's not remorseful. Just.... Just be consistent, ugh.

Also, if she's all about kicking ass with her friends, that should have been shown as her true desire, if they really had wanted to go down that angle. But this Harley, in this movie, was all about how she's in love with the joker. That act at the end was so tonally deaf and characteristically inconsistent to me.

Vidiot

Saw it. I actually thought it was pretty good. Not anything special but certainly better then the reviews would lead me to believe.

I just got home from seeing it. Definitely liked the movie as a whole. The plot was silly but the characters were fun and entertaining except one. Despite all the hate I've heard about the movie, I feel like a lot was exaggerated or people had too high of expectations. I never expected a 10/10 and expected closer to a 7 or 8 which is where I would rate it...if it wasn't for one character being so bad that it went to a 6/10 for me.

I fucking HATE Jared Leto in this movie. Oh my god, he was the worst Joker ever. I understand why a lot of his scenes were apparently cut. I literally groaned every single time he came on the screen. The design sucked, the acting was atrocious and his lines were too bad to even be cheesy.

I can't even blame Jared Leto for this necessarily, the entire team failed on that one in my book. The worst was the scene with the
greenish chocolate milk vat that I know is supposed to be acid but that shit looked way more like milk and they were way too relaxed for it to be acid
. Ugh.

Mariolee

Absolutely loved the cast, editing and the third act was atrocious. However, I had enough fun that I would give it a solid 6/10.

Finished it, didn't hate it. 4.5-5/10, better than BVS at least.

The first hour or so is solid, when the villain plot actually starts, it nosedives.

Davey Cakes

I saw the movie tonight. It was...average for a comic book movie. This is a bad thing. You need to hit the "so bad it's good" or "it's legit good" target. Most superhero/comic movies seem to be average so DC and Warner, at this point, are boring us rather than attempting to raise the bar.

This is likely the film's greatest crime. Being unremarkable.

Of course, my other issues were:
-Choice of villain. Should've been the Joker. The angle they took this time seem too grand for a first movie. And it allowed for senseless world destruction...again.
-Pacing. Like BvS and perhaps Age of Ultron the movie just felt like it was going non-stop. Whoever said it is like watching a long trailer is on the money.
-Too many characters, not enough chemistry. Some of it worked, but they needed to cut some fat here.
-Lack of backstory, in the sense that the setup felt rushed. The biggest victims are Harley and The Joker.

I just want better buildup and higher stakes. And I don't necessarily want to be exhausted by the time I leave the theater. As a side note, the 3D was also mediocre.

As an overall percentage, 26% is a bit harsh. But if that number is kinda sorta just because most critics were around a 5/10 or 6/10 then the score makes sense.

I didn't hate it, but I'm greatly disappointed in how Warner handled this, with the post production fuckery and all.

EGM1966

Realised while commenting fixing really give a short review so here it is:

Cast: most trying hard and mostly pretty good - one of the better elements of the film
Plot: weak, dumb and disappointing - as a non-comic reader the film didn't even convince me you'd create the SS and the villain's plan was simply not even a thing - one of the worst elements of the film
Editing: oh boy. If you like the editing here I'm afraid you're clueless as to good editing - the editing goes from very bad to average at best - another weak element
Visual design: pretty good I thought - while the editing was fighting to sabotage it the film looked good I thought
Joker: too much or not enough - for the actual plot he's in it too much and they wasted Leto having a lot of scenes just to cut them - alternatively the plot should have been different and he could have had more time

Random thought: a key character turns to Batman for help late in the film. Maybe they should have simply gone to him from the start? In short: I don't care if there's a SS comic. For a film you need to justify ther existence and the film failed at this most basic 101 of a misfits on a mission requirements: why use the misfits at all.

DC forget GotG. Watch Dirty Dozen and try again.

I'm not a fan of scores but 4.5/10 for those that do.

Avoid unless you really like the source material, don't really care about medium of film and just want some bang bang kiss kiss or want to see a great example of how to take an interesting concept and make a bad movie out of it.

I remain keen on an Afleck Batman though. But I'll be approaching DC films with extreme caution after the one/two of BvS and SS bring some of the worst films I've seen in a while.

BBboy20

I remain keen on an Afleck Batman though. But I'll be approaching DC films with extreme caution after the one/two of BvS and SS bring some of the worst films I've seen in a while.
Oh yeah, Batman will probably be the last DC film I'll see in theaters.

Matsukaze

Just got back from seeing it. It was alright.

The Good:
- Viola Davis was great as Amanda Waller. Probably the best performance in the movie. I'm not the biggest fan of Will Smith but he did a good job as Deadshot, and Margot Robbie really put energy into Harley (and that's saying something, given it's Harley). Jay Hernandez's performance was probably the only one that actually surpassed my expectations, so kudos to him. The rest of the Squad did well, too.
- Similarly, Leto's Joker was not the trainwreck I expected. I still hate the actual design of the new Joker, but Leto had huge shoes to fill. He's far from the top tier of Jokers but I am fine with him continuing the role.
- I loved the little tribute to John Ostrander. Good stuff.

The Bad:
- The major antagonist was really meh. In her original form, she was cool-looking and intimidating, but she actually became less menacing after her brother helped her and gave her the "new" form. I thought that her continued gyrations while addressing the SS was incredibly dumb-looking and her brother was just really generic-looking (even if he did have some Ouroboros moves).
- Although Margot did a good job portraying Harley, the actual character arc written for Harley felt sloppy and unfulfilling. I know they diverted from having her relationship with the Joker be abusive and messed up, but there should have still been that sense of self-destruction, that Harley is plummeting into personal danger every time she's anywhere near the Joker. This was just too clean-cut.
- The plot was nothing to write home about. It felt too much like a zombie flick in the middle, albeit with a band of survivors much more powerful than the standard stock. I didn't care for how choppy the film moved and the editing just made things worse. I could tell that pieces were snipped out and the adjacent scenes were mashed together, and I'm not usually one to dwell on the technical stuff.

I have a one-picture review right here:

d7a9041bc5fa429e4cf430dded8712f6.jpg

This was edited by someone who wanted something that looks like a movie (see Michael Bay quote on 'looks like a third act' ) without actually having a proper understanding the language of film. Bullshit that this would be Ayer's own cut. It does not resemble the work of a competent film maker, and the constant goddamn music and cuts reveal the grubby hands of people who are not... but really there are just a lot of complete "WHAT" editing in this. And in general it's just predictably boring, really. Like X-Men: Apocalypse it goes into full shlock (
those control room shots: ahahahaha.
) and everybody will have forgotten about it in the same amount of time, so two months tops. Well... no, three or four, maybe five if it's lucky. One thing is does have that Apocalypse doesn't have, is some degree of satisfying backstories to some of its characters, even if that kinda makes things weird with the whole 'we bad' premise.
Though ironically
Harley getting that phone was actually very much its own scene
, so aside from face-palming from shit just before it, I don't really know how you'd miss that.

I actually have to echo the sentiment of RLM's Jay Bauman here: the way it's edited is very similar to Fantastic Four (2015). But, there is a somewhat decent movie in there (predictable comic stuff taken aside), it just needs the right cut to step forward. And much like Trank's cut of FF, we'll never see it.

Replicant

Some folks really take things too far. I've been pretty vocal about my disdain for Snyder's vision but booing someone who has dedicated more than half a decade of their life to a project is petty and childish. I highly doubt he set out to deliberately piss fanboys off.

I wish people would get booted for doing something as impolite as that.

These are the same gutter trash group of people who flaunted the superiority of their incoming superhero films (which wasn't out yet) by trashing and making fun of other films, which already earned their box office fair and square. Then when they are faced with the reality that critics have trashed their fave movies, accused those critics of being paid, harassed them, harassed fans of other films. It's not surprising to me that these people will act like shit in conventions.

SalvaPot

I had fun, the movie was far more Style over Substance, but I knew that going in.

This felt like a Will Smith's Deadshot movie & Harley Quinn, she just feels like she doesn't belong in the group and her involvement is a terrible idea from a plot point of view because you know Joker is going to interfere. Other than that, we all know they are in the movie to put butts on the seats, and it worked.

The movie was entertaining in a dumb way, so for me, the best possible way. The first half of the movie was a mess in that the plot and characters are just haphazardly placed all over the place to make a semblance of a team. The second half is much stronger, the bar scene was really good and I wish the movie was like that the whole way, I like to see this characters interact and I'll be ok with a sequel in that spirit.

Deadshot carries the movie and I'll be willing to watch another movie with him in the lead, Will Smith is fun.

I give it a solid Twizzlers out of 10.

BioFan

I just watched Suicide Squad. I was really disappointed with BvS but I actually enjoyed it more than SS. At least all the Batman scene was awesome. And the final fight, even though it's flawed, is still fun to watch.
SS on the other hand was really disappointing. I was so bored from beginning to end. Some of the actors did great but the story is just mediocre. Honestly for me, SS is Fantastic 4 level.
It's just very disappointed that this is already the third movie for this DC universe and each one is only mediocre at best.

[Edit]and that last fight in SS, it's really bad, the CG is terrible. I was laughing at how bad it was lol.

Theecliff

Banned
my girlfriend was super excited to see it and even went to the cinema with me wearing harley's top from the film. when the credits started rolling she turned round to me and said fairly loudly: "that was really shit", and i totally agree with her. i didn't really go in with any expectations at all and yet it still felt underwhelming. we spent the whole drive home ranting about the thing.

what i personally don't understand is how they managed to make so much of a fuckin mess out of something that's such an incredibly well-trodden concept. so many inexplicably bad decisions, noticeably terrible editing, a bunch of utterly nonsensical scenes. this is genuinely the worst film i've seen in the cinemas since that fuckawful jack black gulliver's travels film from six years ago.

i'm glad i didn't watch BvS in the cinema now.

[Edit]and that last fight in SS, it's really bad, the CG is terrible. I was laughing at how bad it was lol.
i couldn't help but laugh out loud when
they entered the bank building at the end and cara delevigne was just standing in the background awkwardly hula dancing in front of some shitty cgi blue laser thing

my girlfriend was super excited to see it and even went to the cinema with me wearing harley's top from the film. when the credits started rolling she turned round to me and said fairly loudly: "that was really shit", and i totally agree with her. i didn't really go in with any expectations at all and yet it still felt underwhelming. we spent the whole drive home ranting about the thing.

what i personally don't understand is how they managed to make so much of a fuckin mess out of something that's such an incredibly well-trodden concept. so many inexplicably bad decisions, noticeably terrible editing, a bunch of utterly nonsensical scenes. this is genuinely the worst film i've seen in the cinemas since that fuckawful jack black gulliver's travels film from six years ago.

i'm glad i didn't watch BvS in the cinema now.

they entered the bank building at the end and cara delevigne was just standing in the background awkwardly hula dancing in front of some shitty cgi blue laser thing

spoilered part made me almost choked on my soda.
awkwardly hula dancing
. lol. accurate.

BioFan

HAHAHA that's where I laughed the loudest. hahahahaha

Serpico99

So we get that the movie is shit but would Snyder have made it better? That is the real question? Snyder vs Ayer vs WB (the real villain of the film).

Here's a fun drinking game: Take a shot every time a character says "I'm a villain!" or "We're the bad guys!" Make sure you have a designated driver.

Gravidee

Didn't think the movie deserved anywhere near as bad a rating as Dawn of Justice. That movie was difficult to follow, droned on and on and had very little action until the end. It got so bad that I would sometimes find myself just staring at the back of the theater chair in front of me. Thought Suicide Squad was entertaining from start to finish, and had heart to its characters as well. Diablo alone was a more sympathetic character than anyone from BvS.

Azzanadra

Just wanted to drop by and add that the Enchantress transformation was amazing. Minor detail, but it just reeked creepiness and coolness at the same time. Has that sort of transformation been used anywhere else, in other movies/shows/games? I swear this is not the first thing I have seen such a thing, but I am not sure.

As for the BvS comparisons: I think Suicide Squad is better than the theatrical cut, but not the ultimate cut which I actually though was a great movie, the definition of a flawed gem. This is how I would rate the DCCU so far:

Man of Steel: 7/10
Batman v. Superman (theatrical): 4/10
Batman v. Superman (ultimate): 7/10
Suicide Squad: 5/10

For what its worth, my favorite so far is the ultimate cut for Batman vs. Superman. Hopefully the inevitable ultimate cut for Suicide Squad will similarly change the narrative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom