• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, White Fox is definitely one of the better studios around. Gonna watch some Jormungand after I'm all caught up on my Yayoi adventures.

Jormungand and Steins gate werent anything to write home about, the writing staff employed consistently drop the ball on making the source materials conclusions actually compelling and worthwhile.

Theonik

I agree, White Fox is definitely one of the better studios around. Gonna watch some Jormungand after I'm all caught up on my Yayoi adventures.
image.php

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
PGSM 17-20

Is it possible for a show to fall under the its so bad, its really bad camp and yet also fall into the its so bad, its actually amazing camp? Because this show teeters on a balance between both at all times and is thus thoroughly enjoyable to watch.
The balance shifts as the show goes on, but pretty much.

Errr, no.

to have two 10/10 shows in my eyes it's a pretty amazing thing for a young studio like White Fox. And it helps that they don't produce harem show nr. 34 or the next shonen fighting anime but interesting and non-standard shows.

Jormungand and Steins gate werent anything to write home about, the writing staff employed consistently drop the ball on making the source materials conclusions actually compelling and worthwhile.

not enough Yaoi?

/XX/

Brand new Hayate no Gotoku TV anime by Manglobe this Fall. No other details this week, but the series is confirmed at least.
Haven't been paying attention to this franchise since the first season of the TV show and did not know the series has had three different studios in charge of animation production for such a "short" span of time!

Kazzy

Ah, new thread!

...it already smells.

Now I need to finish off Fujiko and Kids on the Slope, all in one fell swoop. I've been waiting it out for the last couple of weeks.

Then I will probably start on F/Z.

Jex

Their quality is not really White Fox's accomplishment.
If anything, those shows would have been even better if done by a different studio.

That's not necessarily true. If they had been made by DEEN, Statelight, Gonzo or Bee Train they would have been worse, I imagine.

I can't think of any other studio's below White Fox in terms of quality. Everyone else is better.

Dresden

Brand new Hayate no Gotoku TV anime by Manglobe this Fall. No other details this week, but the series is confirmed at least.

I guess they did do the movie.

Has to be an upgrade after that eroge adaptation a few seasons back. Manglobe moving back up in the world. :/

/XX/

Making it into one of those 'Top posters from last season' lists.
Bah! Three hundred posts for a whole season is nothing, man. Three-and-a-bit posts (approximately) a day leaves you time to do many "sane" things...

... and I'm not using this to justify myself, understood? Not at all! No... nope.

duckroll

My God. Koda Kumi is doing the OP for Total Eclipse. No way I'll be watching that show, but I'll watch the OP at least. :D

Grzi

Well, that's an assertion

The source material for both shows was good, the direction and animation weren't very well done, but are saved by an extremely interesting and engaging story (Steins;Gate) and a great visual style (animation aside, the designs were the same in the novels) combined with an interesting premise and characters (Katanagatari).
It's especially grating how a show that should finish almost each of its arcs (filled with insane amounts of talking) with a great battle scene doesn't really have good battles, aside from the final episode. And really, they don't need to last long, look at the action scenes in Mononoke, they last like what, 5-10 seconds? But they're extremely well done and remain some of my most memorable scenes ever.

That's not necessarily true. If they had been made by DEEN, Statelight, Gonzo or Bee Train they would have been worse, I imagine.

I can't think of any other studio's below White Fox in terms of quality. Everyone else is better.

True, I should have been more clear :(

The source material for both shows was good, the direction and animation weren't very well done, but are saved by an extremely interesting and engaging story (Steins;Gate) and a great visual style (animation aside, the designs were the same in the novels) combined with an interesting premise and characters (Katanagatari).
It's especially grating how a show that should finish almost each of its arcs (filled with insane amounts of talking) with a great battle scene doesn't really have good battles, aside from the final episode. And really, they don't need to last long, look at the action scenes in Mononoke, they last like what, 5-10 seconds? But they're extremely well done and remain some of my most memorable scenes ever.

well, I don't believe you read the Katanagatari novels, otherwise you would know the Katanagatari novels are 95% just talking and the fights are supposed to be anti-cinematic.

Grzi

well, I don't believe you read the Katanagatari novels, otherwise you would know the Katanagatari novels are 95% just talking and the fights are supposed to be anti-cinematic.

That might be true, but that doesn't mean they couldn't (shouldn't) have made them more interesting and better animated.

Novel =/= anime

Different media and all that.

That might be true, but that doesn't mean they couldn't (shouldn't) have made them more interesting and better animated.

Novel =/= anime

Different media and all that.

Katanagatari would be a worse anime with a higher focus on the fighting scenes. Gunslinger Girl S1 is a similiar example they reduced the action part compared to the manga or S2 but S1 is one of an example of a superior adaptation. If you want action, there are enough shonen or other action shows. Katanagatari is a prime example for great character interaction and that makes the show so good.

Instro

Zexcs, and Feel.

Grzi

Katanagatari would be a worse anime with a higher focus on the fighting scenes. Gunslinger Girl S1 is a similiar example they reduced the action part compared to the manga or S2 but S1 is one of an example of a superior adaptation. If you want action, there are enough shonen or other action shows. Katanagatari is a prime example for great character interaction and that makes the show so good.

You misunderstood, I'm not saying there should be a higher focus on the fighting scenes, I'm saying that what there is of the fighting scenes (and there's some action in almost every episode) is poorly done.
Hence my mentioning of Mononoke and it's 5 second action scenes.

Instro

Considering their legacy of works like Michiko E Hatchin, Samurai Champloo and House of Five Leaves their steady decline into irrelevancy is depressing.

Hayate is probably a step up from their recent works though, maybe they are turning it around...:(

You're right, of course. I have trouble remembering the names of E-Tier studios.

It's better that you not know them I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom