• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew J.

Ugh, I hate this "Legitimacy of Revisions" debate. I'd much rather read more on the "Is there a Difference between Quality and Entertainment Value" debate. So I guess I'll start one!

I'll start with an object example. I think all or almost all of us can agree that Kids on the Slope is better than, say, Symphogear. The former has some issues but it was obviously made with a lot of care, and it's classy too. The latter panders hard in certain respects and may charitably be described as junk food, although more objectively it's probably just junk.

And yet, KotS bored me to tears whenever the characters weren't playing music, but I was almost always having fun when I was watching Symphogear, and even the terrible Engrish was enjoyably bad. (That the phrase "enjoyably bad" even makes sense kind of goes to the core of the issue, I suppose.)

sonicmj1

Though I will agree, there's a better case for the argument that what Lucas is doing is art vandalism over Pizzaroll's argument that Hix watching Utena with a different aspect ratio being art vandalism.

Did someone say Utena?

Revolutionary Girl Utena 37

iITsGYbMPygR5.png

The Wheel of Fate is Turning.

The calm before the storm. Our final resting point before we reach the summit. A surplus of symbolic scenes.

Badminton Scene!
There was a lot I liked about this scene just on an aesthetic level, even if the execution was very simple. The rhythmic thwack of the birdie being hit gave the whole scene a calming rhythm.

I feel like it was about everyone putting the past behind them. Miki announces that he's done pursuing Anthy, and Juri decides that her dream of being with Shiori was ultimately selfish and destructive to her. At the same time, Utena is ringless, which means she has (for the moment) given up on the idea of being a prince. The three observers of the scene are Shiori, Kaoru, and Anthy, and instead of choosing any of them, the players have chosen each other, in a way. Even when Nanami interposes, Utena doesn't shoot down her advice. She just listens and resumes the game. They don't need their ideal pasts. They just desire the present moment.

Coffee and Tea Scene!
This (and everything immediately after) are strange to parse. But they are the point where Utena chooses her promise to be Anthy's prince over other stuff. They poison each other, and Anthy attempts to throw herself off the roof. But for Utena, she's committed to staying by Anthy's side no matter what. I think it goes back to the Rose Bride analogy in the first place. She's suffering, but those same thorns that impale her also make her hurt those close to her. Utena's willing to accept her poison to enjoy the taste of her cookies, and Anthy will in return do the same for Utena's tea. Or something. It's probably not the ideal she imagined, but she's chosen the present reality.

I'm not used to trying to make sense of Ikuhara, so I hope I'm not fucking this all up. I left Penguindrum in a jumble of feelings about destiny and love and family without trying to arrange it into a sensible picture, and I was happy with it that way.

Uchip

Banned
Luffy's a really, really annoying protagonist.

Im one of the few that finds him funny
maybe its his derpy voice, or that hes stupider than homer simpson
he doesnt grate on me with his ethics like a lot of mains, and hes constantly coming up with new moves which are interesting to see.

You shouldn't do that as I'm terribly susceptible to peer pressure.

the story and pacing isnt as well handled as movie 6, but everything else is far superior to any of the other movies

Dresden

Ugh, I hate this "Legitimacy of Revisions" debate. I'd much rather read more on the "Is there a Difference between Quality and Entertainment Value" debate. So I guess I'll start one!

I'll start with an object example. I think all or almost all of us can agree that Kids on the Slope is better than, say, Symphogear. The former has some issues but it was obviously made with a lot of care, and it's classy too. The latter panders hard in certain respects and may charitably be described as junk food, although more objectively it's probably just junk.

And yet, KotS bored me to tears whenever the characters weren't playing music, but I was almost always having fun when I was watching Symphogear, and even the terrible Engrish was enjoyably bad. (That the phrase "enjoyably bad" even makes sense kind of goes to the core of the issue, I suppose.)

dunno, i watched ep1 of symphogear and it was painfully horrible.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
sure you can
just watch Strong World (movie 10) ;)

The eccentric style of One Piece really works well with fluid animation and colourful but detailed settings
its a damned shame that the TV adaptation is such a low budget affair

I might be the only person with this opinion but I think that Dead End no Bouken is a more engaging film for non-OP fans than Strong World, which is pretty much fanservice.

Uchip

Banned
I might be the only person with this opinion but I think that Dead End no Bouken is a more engaging film for non-OP fans than Strong World, which is pretty much fanservice.

well
its also the only movie thats considered canonical
im just going by the people ive shown, who may have been a bit lost, but enjoyed the madness none the less

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wow...

You know what, forget it. It's clear you have no real interest in discussing this subject, and you're only interested in riling up people who care about the point being discussed. You are the twisting words around and finding straw men comparisons to try to invalidate other people's valid discussions. It is annoying and honestly, you come off as just an asshole. So this is all I have to say to you regarding this matter:

iNCQnCdf6j3La.gif

You sir, are my fucking hero.

duckroll

I don't really think there's that much to discuss here other than "lower quality material of something that appeals to a person will probably make for better entertainment than higher quality material of something which has no appeal whatsoever to said person".

Unless I'm missing something here, I don't really see anything to debate about. Even the biggest fans of KotS and the biggest haters of Symphogear will come to that conclusion when following a logical line of thought. It doesn't matter how well made something is if it doesn't interest you. There are lots of sports I don't watch, so even if the best game of the century happened in that sport, I wouldn't appreciate it. On the other hand, I would happily watch a boring as fuck football match if I care about the teams playing.

Narag

dunno, i watched ep1 of symphogear and it was painfully horrible.

Shit sucked at first but got better as it went along. I don't think it ever really surpassed the low end of average when it was all said and done though. Better production values and addressing the terrible way cliffhangers were handled early on would have done wonders for the show.

I don't see the debate here. Everyone has individual preferences; it's not surprising that you'd enjoy a poorly-made show that appeals to your particular interests more than a well-made show that doesn't. Artistic quality and personal entertainment are two different things.

Eureka Seven 14 - 31

Shounen Heart is a really good OP, and I love Fly Away. Lots of really good emotional and drama made it really good and teary eyed at times and I could really feel all for Renton (the scene with him doing the dance was amazing to that intense action scene
when he lost control and beat the enemies fighter so much that he ripped the dudes arm off and you could see his ring on the finger and all bloody, poor Renton
) Has really grown on me and I really like him alot in this. Holland is pretty awful (why he always taking out anger on Renton like that) and pales vastly in comparison to Charles
I loved that whole mini arc with Renton away from the Gekkostate and just off everywhere on his own and then with Ray and Charles was good, almost wanted them to adopt him into their family and what not
. Around 25-27 was also pretty amazing with
Renton finally swooping in to catch Eureka, glorious moment, to the splendid and tense ship infiltration to time bomb scene

Antibody Coralians are alright though, in comparison with Eureka Seven AO, I think I prefer the Secrets more. Also although I think Im a fan of Renton, I still like Ao just more in the end. Not really a fan of Eureka herself as she is still pretty boring but brave
going out there and skyboarding for her precious Renton was cool even if kind of dumb to do
but shes starting to get to be a worthless deadweight.

This new arc is starting off good and I cant wait to see where it goes.

Symphogear is objectively less boring than Slopey Kids.

You shouldn't do that as I'm terribly susceptible to peer pressure.

I can help cancel that out. I absolutely love movie 10, but it's really something for fans of the series. Movie 6 and maybe 4 are the only ones I'd really recommend to people outside the fanbase, and both only to people that have absolutely NO intention of ever watching/reading OP.

Im one of the few that finds him funny
maybe its his derpy voice, or that hes stupider than homer simpson
he doesnt grate on me with his ethics like a lot of mains, and hes constantly coming up with new moves which are interesting to see.

I like him too. He's just a stupider Goku. Dude is funny, especially when he does stuff like pushing zombies back into graves.

Narag

I can help cancel that out. I absolutely love movie 10, but it's really something for fans of the series. Movie 6 and maybe 4 are the only ones I'd really recommend to people outside the fanbase, and both only to people that have absolutely NO intention of ever watching/reading OP.

Thanks!

sonicmj1

Don't be hatin' on Nanami. These gag episodes would still be gag episodes without her. The only difference is that they wouldn't be funny.

Falsehood.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 38

RsBRd.gif

THIS IS SO AWESOME EVEN THOUGH IT MAKES NO SENSE

THE DUELING ARENA BEING A CONSTRUCTION OF THE PLANETARIUM IS NONSENSE UNLESS IT'S SYMBOLIC SO I WILL IGNORE IT

I CAN'T STOP OH MY GOD

jman2050

I've alluded to some of them, though most of them kind of go without saying.
-Fanservice, some straight up tasteless
This is not a negative
-Cheap drama, like KEY cheap
I... what? What? Just what?
-Excessive/masturbatory dialogue that doesn't seem to add much
I find it entertaining but I concede this is not everyone's thing
-Repetitive humor
Nope
-It's a damn harem show
Again, not a negative
-Animation
It's good, what of it

You're batting .166, congratulations.

Dead

well not really...yet
All of those things can be summed to just one word. Shaft.

All you need to know. Mark of shit (or gold, your pick)

Ultimadrago

Hidamari Sketch 12 [END]

uo5Jd.png

Chika - little sister type

Okay, so I'm introduced to Sae's sister, Chika again. She's wide-eyed and actively curious about like as a Hidamari resident. Her personality is that of a curious, talkative little sister straight from the books. I'm disappointed that they spent the first half of season finale on this character. However, it has been shared with me by Hidamari watchers that the show can be consumed (and improved in some cases) by watching episodes randomly. The overall season doesn't have a strict emphasis on chronology. Therefore, no real overarching climax or major conclusion takes place. This takes the necessity of a "finale that acts like a finale" off a pedestal due to the nature of the show. The case still remains that I'm quite indifferent to this particular side character. The last stretch was more of a concluding step that had the curtains close more how I expected.

KpwFR.jpg
sTUWB.jpg

Christmas Cakee - Yoshinoya Cakee

Overall, it was Hidamari Sketch. Low-budget animation and art with primary colors and simple shapes scattered about in transition and presentation. These don't always work to the show's favor, but they never deathly hinder my experience. In fact, there are moments where it is used well and in an appealing manner that adds to an episode. The characters are enjoyable in their interactions and the occasional introspective peek into some of them makes for a nice watch. They are what keep me coming for more doses of "wideface." Characters that I haven't grown off of with a tone that makes for a soothing weekly to bi-weekly experience. I hope the next season maintains the enjoyment I get from the series while improving in areas.

Uchip

Banned
Eureka Seven 14 - 31

Shounen Heart is a really good OP, and I love Fly Away. Lots of really good emotional and drama made it really good and teary eyed at times and I could really feel all for Renton (the scene with him doing the dance was amazing to that intense action scene
when he lost control and beat the enemies fighter so much that he ripped the dudes arm off and you could see his ring on the finger and all bloody, poor Renton
) Has really grown on me and I really like him alot in this. Holland is pretty awful (why he always taking out anger on Renton like that) and pales vastly in comparison to Charles
I loved that whole mini arc with Renton away from the Gekkostate and just off everywhere on his own and then with Ray and Charles was good, almost wanted them to adopt him into their family and what not
. Around 25-27 was also pretty amazing with
Renton finally swooping in to catch Eureka, glorious moment, to the splendid and tense ship infiltration to time bomb scene

Antibody Coralians are alright though, in comparison with Eureka Seven AO, I think I prefer the Secrets more. Also although I think Im a fan of Renton, I still like Ao just more in the end. Not really a fan of Eureka herself as she is still pretty boring but brave
going out there and skyboarding for her precious Renton was cool even if kind of dumb to do
but shes starting to get to be a worthless deadweight.

This new arc is starting off good and I cant wait to see where it goes.

I like you more than Cajunator now
apart from liking secrets more, which is unforgivable unless they have a REALLY good twist with them

Andrew J.

I don't really think there's that much to discuss here other than "lower quality material of something that appeals to a person will probably make for better entertainment than higher quality material of something which has no appeal whatsoever to said person".

Unless I'm missing something here, I don't really see anything to debate about. Even the biggest fans of KotS and the biggest haters of Symphogear will come to that conclusion when following a logical line of thought. It doesn't matter how well made something is if it doesn't interest you. There are lots of sports I don't watch, so even if the best game of the century happened in that sport, I wouldn't appreciate it. On the other hand, I would happily watch a boring as fuck football match if I care about the teams playing.

Being more serious here: do you see a difference between being entertained and being engaged?

sonicmj1

Revolutionary Girl Utena 39 - END

Well, that was the best show ever.

It's really hard for me to try to write coherently about the ending. That last episode was an insane roller-coaster of emotion. Great music, great imagery and a really perfect conclusion.

In the end, things couldn't turn out perfectly. But Utena demonstrated that she was willing to accept Anthy with all of her flaws, and her tears were able to open the path to eternity, and break Anthy out of her coffin. Maybe Utena has now taken on the burden of suffering (Reaching eternity, she can't exist in this world. Something something Kierkegaard), but she succeeded in her goal of freeing Anthy.

10/10 awesomeness. Thank you everyone who encouraged me to watch and who helped me understand what was happening. I'll watch the movie in a while, but not right now. I think my head would explode if I tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom