• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
k-on-gundam-369x53007kyf.jpg
Rofl i knew i could have faith in kyoani to not let me down

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Read Or Die OVA 1

Yet another old OVA series that I've finally gotten around to watching. As you can see, the art is really good, and it has some spectacular animation.

k7fEp.jpg

dat cityscape

Unfortunately, it's not without it's drawbacks. The entire premise of the show is inherently ridiculous, but it tries to play it a little too straight, which ruins any fun moments the ridiculousness might have otherwise made. Yomiko, the main character, is incredibly annoying and if it wasn't for the side characters and action there is no way I would be able to finish this.

UBTp3.jpg

This is practically the only line she says during the entire 30 minute OVA, and what makes it even worse is how pathetic she sounds and acts while saying it

Like many anime from that time period, it uses an overly muted color palette that really only detracts from the otherwise excellent art. Everything is drawn from greys and browns, and even in the rare moments when a colour other than dull and dark shows up, it's still heavily muted so that it might as well just be another shade of brown.

As it is, ROD seems to fall into that category of anime where the only reason to watch it is for the good animation. OVA's can barely get a pass in that regard, since they're usually only a handful of episodes long, but if this was a TV series I would have to pass on it.

It's like no one can read "FAN BOOK".

It's okay, guys, /a/ and /m/ couldn't either. Unless you'd like to be above their level?
i dont want to see that part.my imagination took over as soon as i saw the center of that picture
Evrn big projexts can start with only a couple of artbook pages

Koi Choco 1
tumblr_ma6xytQkFx1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Rewatched it though on Hulu this time, only issues is the ugly use of HUGE Yellow subs, I dont understand why Anime Network uses these when Sentai doesnt use Yellow subs on their disc releases (oh and the ugly logo placement, so glad viz doesnt put their logo on their streams on Hulu of Accel World or Lagrange), the visual quality is also odd, not really high/HD :/

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wait so I thought the girl had heterochromia. How come she has the same eye color in the CM. Can she change it at will?

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm confident that KyoAni will tackle something "different" in the not too distant future.

Even with the success they had with the KEY titles they declined further adaptations and decided to change, so I'm confident they will do the same again.

Assuming that we don't get Hyouka Season 2 (maybe due to sales, or not having enough source material for at least 12 episodes), then hopefully it will be in Spring/Summer 2013!

Jarmel

Banned
I'm confident that KyoAni will tackle something "different" in the not too distant future.

Even with the success they had with the KEY titles they declined further adaptations and decided to change, so I'm confident they will do the same again.

Assuming that we don't get Hyouka Season 2 (maybe due to sales, or not having enough source material for at least 12 episodes), then hopefully it will be in Spring/Summer 2013!

I doubt Hyouka will ever get a sequel due to the combination of low sales and low source material left to adapt.

fertygo

First animators can't draw machinery, now character designers can't draw men. What is this industry coming to?

You have no authority for making this statement, its DTL's specialty.

zing

@Jarmel
10K with amazing stability + highest price among anime release n just 2 eps per disc ain't disappointment.

I doubt Hyouka will ever get a sequel due to the combination of low sales and low source material left to adapt.

Come on, 9k per volume is more than enough to justify a sequel, as countless examples show. You're letting the massive success of K-ON, Haruhi, and the Key properties blind you to how good these sales really are.

Now the lack of additional source material will indeed mean that a sequel is unlikely, certainly in the near future.

Jarmel

Banned
@Jarmel
10K with amazing stability + highest price among anime release n just 2 eps per disc ain't disappointment.

It definitely is for KyoAni. Not to mention how expensive these episodes had to be. Opportunity cost dictates that this likely will be the last time you'll see this animated.

Come on, 9k per volume is more than enough to justify a sequel, as countless examples show. You're letting the massive success of K-ON, Haruhi, and the Key properties blind you to how good these sales really are.

Now the lack of additional source material will indeed mean that a sequel is unlikely, certainly in the near future.

So a high number of their works being a success and this being on the far low end is blinding me? Why would they ever want to do this again when they can try for another mega-hit?

Go_Ly_Dow

Yes.

I only meant low sales if the budget is much higher than your average tv series.

Maybe it is, or maybe it's not and KyoAni are just as competent and well run as most people believe.

At 9-10k a volume + merchandise + additional novel sales it is most definitely profitable.

Jarmel

Banned
Yes.

I only meant low sales if the budget is much higher than your average tv series.

Maybe it is, or maybe it's not and KyoAni are just as competent and well run as most people believe.

At 9-10k a volume + merchandise + additional novel sales it is most definitely profitable.

I can't see how this was reasonably cheap even assuming they were competent. Also again opportunity cost has to be considered.

Jarmel

Banned
No. Nichijou is the far low end. That was an unqualified failure. Hyouka is not. Stop the hyperbole.

Nichijou was a complete disaster. There's levels inbetween disaster and success. Hyouka is probably closer to them just being satisfied they're not going in the red. Hyouka certainly is not a success story for KyoAni.

jman2050

Hyouka did a solid amount. Just not the megahits people were used to from KyoAni, but certainly not a Nichibomba.

From my understanding a season 2 is unlikely because there's little else to adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom