• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Future Diary 01

Well... That didn't take long to show up.

Interesting first episode. Future diaries (the title of the show certainly doesn't lie), a survival game with people already getting killed, a God named Deus Ex Machina and Yuno of course.

I picked up the Kindle version of volume 1 of the manga last night, having watched some of the anime a couple of years ago (got distracted and never finished it) and was disappointed by the lack of Yuno yandere face in it. granted it was only the first volume.

Maybe I need to go back to the anime to get my fix.

Aldnoah.Zero Episode 1: Princess Vers
BrzjuXcCAAE_heM.png

BrzfHFGCAAExcjx.png

Slaine ended up being just as good as I expected.
too bad he had to be hit rudely like that :(, seems like setting him up to potentially defect or Im hoping join up with Inaho when things go downhill. Also seems to be another plot focused on the lies and exposing the truth potentially so maybe both sides are deceiving others.
. Inaho is good too with his personality and aura

Music is great but the timing for that
New Orleans
scene was brutal and almost chuckle inducing with how dramatic it is for the event playing out.

Captain Earth 14

Dropped. Let someone else watch this tripe. Nothing surprises me anymore. Who look another one of them is having a "
BUT I'M A MONSTER! HOW COULD ANYONE LOVE ME!?" crisis followed by another asspull to narrowly avoid disaster.
Don't they know when the stakes are always "Everyone will die if they fail" that makes the show hard to watch when it happened every episode and everyone knows it a 26 episode show.

Aldnoah Zero 1

Pretty boring first episode that while it looked damn pretty didn't do anything to make me get excited for it. Just off of one episode I'd say Aregvollen is better though I won't be surprised if at the end Aldnoah ends up being the better series.

Aldnoah Zero 1

OH MY FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. IT WAS SO GOOOOOOOOOOOD. It's Fate Zero levels of characters, both in numbers and quality, and my god it did not disappoint. Pack your bags everybody else, this might end up being Anime of the Year. And we also have Watanabe's show coming up and possibly Fate Stay Night in the run as well. I don't think AOTY voting could be as hard as it is now.

Slaine as of right now looks like he'll be a good character, but he hasn't shown much. The moe princess
didn't last too terribly long, so much for love interest lol Urobuchi was here

And the New Orleans scene was great. 10/10 would smash AOTY

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon Crystal 1

This just makes me want to watch the original.
If it only didn't require such a crazy time investment.

Was Usagi's voice always this grating? It seems to be the same actress.

Yes. It was always that earsplitting. I never liked her voice.
I find this new one to be ever so slightly less obnoxious.

Sword Art Online 25 FIN

... lol In this ep, Kirito bleeds his own blood and meets Asuna for the very first time.

---

Last ep highlights how problematic the real life shit is in thiis. Can't lie, liked a lot fo the animation in this and I think there's this serviceable fantasy story even without the mmo trappings but the superhighstakesrealilfedrama that accompanies it all is far too much for a show like this. Writing drags this down so hard.

Also final best girl rankings:

1. Klein
  2. Alicia Rue
  3. LizThirdBest
  4. Leafa
  5. Sakuya
  6. Silica
  7. Sachi
  8. Yui
  9. Asuna

Actually, Im ok with that ranking with the catgirl and Klein first.

Looks great! I actually have another boxset with that same packaging.
Super Gals

Here is how the Valvrave set looks like. Seems very plain to me.

Ce6g8gO.jpg

Hmmm. I like the postcards of the mechs. I dont know if I should get that or not.

Jupiter DA GODDESS will make this all good.

If the first season was any indication it will take a good while for Jupiter to thunder in.

SAOII - 01

SQUEE.

That is all.

This sounds relevant to my interests.

Jex

Aldnoah 1
Meh, it was a rather by-the-numbers genre piece that does nothing new nor it reinvents something usual in a particularly compelling or creative manner. The characters are not characters, rather serving as pieces for delivering the plot. I stopped caring around the 3rd time that a character looked at nothing and started rambling over what the show will be about, of course ending every stale monologue with an opaque line that doesn't serve any purpose other than being ominous and filling time because there are no ideas worth exploring here.

I really disliked the composition of the shots too. The texture and colour in most shots was so uniform and lifeless that it became a bit tiresome to watch.
This is perhaps a tad more brutal than I'd have gone for, but I largely agree.

On the subject of exposition, the hands-down worst example of needless exposition was this scene:

The context is important here. These kids ride their bus to robot camp on a regular basis and we have to assume it goes the same route everytime so why, all of a sudden, is this guy commenting on the disaster relief work being carried out? Of course stuff is being rebuilt out here, you probably see it ever week when your ride this exact same bus.

Also, I'm really sick of Butch's exposition-machine style approach where every character just rattles off some philosophy or exposition at the drop of the a hat.

Future Diary 02

Haha. Dang, this was fun.

The identity of third is revealed, some explosive new personalities joins the game and Yukki and Yunos diaries are meant for each other. Lots of people gets killed in this episode too.

fertygo

Aldnoah Zero - 01

My favorite part of this so far is that Kazuya Nakai playing a rather calm role as opposite to raging badass stereotype that he famous with although he also gonna playing that too in new season of Sengoku Basara as Masamune Date, its seem to be his season!

Also that song by Kalafina is goddamn good, made me wish Kajiura also handling the OST.. and I like what I hear better from SAO2 than Sawano's OST :(
Also, I'm really sick of Butch's exposition-machine style approach where every character just rattles off some philosophy or exposition at the drop of the a hat.
There's big chance Urobuchi didn't involved in this, do you even duckroll?

Captain Earth 14

Eh, not really feeling that new OP. New ED is alright though.

What a goddamn weird episode. It couldn't decide if it was a bellybutton beach fanservice episode or a serious melodramatic episode with existential crises and
colony satellite drops.

This show is past the halfway point and I still don't know anything about it. I think I know less now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Aldnoah Zero, I think it has the potential to be really good. I just hope it isn't squandered.

Jex

[Aldnoah Zero] - 1

You know, a lot of people in here are commenting on a fairly important plot detail that I feel needs to be addressed. Er, you know what I'm talking about
the princess dying. I'm kind of in the camp who believes that somehow she's still alive because, well, that's how these stories are told but in fairness they actually go pretty far to make you think she's dead. Just consider these images
:

Big ol spoiler images, don't click etc:

http://abload.de/img/az186kcu.jpg
http://abload.de/img/az24njcv.jpg
http://abload.de/img/az3b7j1l.jpg

Looks pretty for real actually dead in these images.

Shergal

[Aldnoah Zero] - 1

You know, a lot of people in here are commenting on a fairly important plot detail that I feel needs to be addressed. Er, you know what I'm talking about
the princess dying. I'm kind of in the camp who believes that somehow she's still alive because, well, that's how these stories are told but in fairness they actually go pretty far to make you think she's dead. Just consider these images
:

It's a decoy, man! Bah I'm not really sure, is the girl on promo images? Is the VA high-profile? I dunno

[Aldnoah Zero] - 1

:

Body double perhaps.

Blusby

Aldnoah Zero 01: I freaking loved this episode, the lighting, music, mech designs, everything. Well for the most part, the info dumpage wasn't as bad as say Psycho-Pass but it still felt clunky, also the cg was pretty meh but everything else about it I loved. The insert vocal song at the end put a smile on me face, my favorite so far of the new summer series.

Jex

Aldnoah Zero Episode 1 Spoilers
Like I mentioned before I'm guessing
it was a decoy

As I said in my post, I'm sure she's alive, I just wanted to counter the people who were saying "oh you didn't even see her face" because you kind of do, but not in a very convincing way.

Sword Art Online 2 1

Oh fuck me. Did the ED just show me.... just show me.... Kirito-kun fighting fucking darth vader looking motherfucker with a fucking lightsaber with super sweet effects?

I need to lie down for a bit. Oh my god. I'm going to be entertained as shit.

This whole episode man. This whole episode

"Kirito-kun I hear you are super fucking 1337 at games"

"I try"

"We need you to stop fucking your girlfriend and harem to go bust a cap in some punk ass bitch"

"I don't know man I I kind of like d-"

"Do it. Kirito-kun. FOR YOUR COUNTRY"

"....."

V2MQ6mA.png

"Somebody get me my cocaine and my copy of AC/DC's Back in Black. Time to fuck shit up."

I'm entertained. Fuck it. Definitely a watch.

LegatoB

It's confirmed he wrote the first three episodes.

Do you even read the news, old timer?
And he's in the credits for 脚本 (screenplay) this week, in case there was any ambiguity.

Which would certainly explain all the awful expositionary dialog.

Caesnd

Aldnoah Zero Episode 1 Spoilers

As I said in my post, I'm sure she's alive, I just wanted to counter the people who were saying "oh you didn't even see her face" because you kind of do, but not in a very convincing way.

Well, it's someones face alright, but I think a body double is a likely scenario.

I find the world design sort of boring, and the composition of the work a little bit too mundane for my tastes.

It was great to hear Kazuya Nakai though.

cajunator

Banned
Less than one month now I think.

Need this in my body sooner though!

I know what you mean BEAR. Im SOOOOOO EXCITED

SAO II EP1

Pretty good story/plot introduction episode. Not as strong a first episode as the first season's but that would be hard to top. Really interesting exchange about making the virtual world and real world closer together and merging the lines between them. Cajunator will be disappointed that Sinon is only in the last two minutes of this episode.

I shall wait until she is a more prominent part. (Unless they relegate her to the background like so many other characters in that shitshow)

Its already no good sign if you refer to the characters only by their haircolor. :,D

Yeah but we knew redhead was gonna be the best from the beginning.

holy shit lol.

What the hell is this from?

Mahouka 12

Sucks to be Mari for sure to have broken ribs, really isn't her day. We get hints that someone is sabotaging the competition.
And that Shizuku though.

Mahouka-episode-12-review-Shizuku.jpg

She really is packing her gun, gotta get ready for the competition. Have to have that perfect score.

Shizuku looks like a grown up Misaki from Angelic Layer.

Sailor Moon 01
It's weird to hear Bunny speaking japanese and ... kinda annoying. This goes right in the childhood. This show is nice n all and while I can live with the upped shoujo (lol, Luna), I can't ignore the language. This is so wrong!!
Also
did Usagi just literally cried her enemies into defeat?

Tokyo Ghoul 01
That looked actually pretty well. I think I going to watch that, despite the stuff missing. And then I will say that I will read the manga and then I will never read it like Ars Nova. Goddamn. :(

Yeah she did and its fully believable that she could do that too.

jbug617

Banned
Right Stuf announce:

Rose of Versailles and Utena are going to be re-released
They got Yakitate Japan, Azazel-san, Suteki Tantei Labyrinth and Space Pirate Mito

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sword Art Online 2 01
It was just supremely boring. Mahouka has spoiled me.

Clov

Right Stuf announce:

They got Yakitate Japan, Azazel-san, Suteki Tantei Labyrinth and Space Pirate Mito

Re-released how? Better be on Blu-Ray. Disappointing pick-ups by them, though. Nothing I'm interested in, at least.

cajunator

Banned
I just had the shittiest fourth of july weekend. Fuck America. I'm going communist. Any decent new anime?

I had to work through it. At least you were off. I didnt even have a chance to enjoy anything!

Future Diary 01

Well... That didn't take long to show up.

Interesting first episode. Future diaries (the title of the show certainly doesn't lie), a survival game with people already getting killed, a God named Deus Ex Machina and Yuno of course.

I would totally own this show by now if it wasnt DVD only. Im waiting for bluray release in the future.

Aldnoah.Zero - Episode 1

Fucking loved this. It's definitely Fate/Zero with mechs. I'm kinda surprised it's an alternate reality timeline. I thought it was just set in the future. I really like the way the composite looks on this show. I guess Ei Aoki learned a thing or two while directing stuff at Ufotable. There's a really nice clean look to the scenes and the lighting looks very pleasant, especially in daylight. Good premise, cool robots, decent set of characters, and even the Sawano music didn't sound awful! <3

This description intrigues me I have to say.

Aldnoah Zero 1

OH MY FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. IT WAS SO GOOOOOOOOOOOD. It's Fate Zero levels of characters, both in numbers and quality, and my god it did not disappoint. Pack your bags everybody else, this might end up being Anime of the Year. And we also have Watanabe's show coming up and possibly Fate Stay Night in the run as well. I don't think AOTY voting could be as hard as it is now.

Slaine as of right now looks like he'll be a good character, but he hasn't shown much. The moe princess
didn't last too terribly long, so much for love interest lol Urobuchi was here

And the New Orleans scene was great. 10/10 would smash AOTY

Ok now Im REALLY intrigued.

Right Stuf announce:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Chariot

I just saw 3 minutes of SAO II. Thought I could watch with you guys, but Death Gun killed me through my monitor
with laughter

Yeah but we knew redhead was gonna be the best from the beginning.
Naturally, her train wagon in the lightnovels was amazing.

Yeah she did and its fully believable that she could do that too.
Yeah, I just had to chuckle, because I was at the Tropes vs Women threat and had to think how one of the things clichee girls do is cry. Of course I know that Usagi is far more than a crybaby, it was just the moment.

Blusby

[Aldnoah Zero] - 1

:

They didn't show her face during that scene so I'm just gonna go on a limb and say that wasn't the actual Princess.

BluWacky

Right Stuf announce:

But I only just bought the DVDs of Utena! I can't buy the Blurays yet!

Wow. Suteki Tantei Labyrinth? REALLY? I mean, the others I almost understand (Yakitate had a following back in the day, Azazel-san is popular now, and Mito might have some nostalgia value), but that show?

Future Diary 03

Here's that other shot then.

Ninth seems to have experienced some shit before and because of a mysterious figure she experiences some more. And... that's not how a nice date is supposed to end :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom