• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akame ga Kill! Episode 1

OP is pretty boring songwise and visually, while the ED is fairly forgettable.

Tatsumi is a great lead, Rabac perfect voice and scenes carrying the episode well.

Kind of a boring first episode not really dong anything and a predictable plot
though did tear up when the shed was opened and it was shown to be Ieyasu in there :(

Chariot

One Piece 651

No, I did no tear up at anypoint during Rebecca's flashback

Especially during the scene when she was shaking her dead mom and calling out to her.

I....I just happened to have something in my eye that's all.
People can say about One Piece what they want, but the most Flashbacks are very well made. Oda knows how to make heartbreaking shortstories.

Can someone please tell me what the hell Zvezda was supposed to be about?
There's the prime minister and conquering and shit

Is it commentary on something

who knows

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Akame ga Kill! Episode 1:

So this series has been getting a bit of a buzz and reputation, presumably because it is an adaptation of a favored manga of some sort. Anyway, yea, calling this now, this a future member of Toonami, it is made out of that shonen stock that block seems to crave. Anyway, yes, this was dull on the outset but grew some semblance of a personality. Overall if I had to give this soup a flavor rating I would say light shade of Attack on Titan or extra strong Blue Exorcist. It isn't bad or anything but I don't see what the big deal is, well, maybe I do in some of ominous odors. I fear this series descending into using haremism spices and creme du Gary Stu but I suppose I shall have to wait and see how the broth cooks. Also, I should probably eat some lunch.

DMMD is finally here!
Br4C91tCAAEuZMI.jpg

mankoto

Can someone please tell me what the hell Zvezda was supposed to be about?
There's the prime minister and conquering and shit

Is it commentary on something

who knows
I just started it an hour or two ago and currently on episode 5. And since the plot hasn't moved anywhere the best I can tell you is that a little girl wants to rule the world and the government is trying to stop her.

Akame ga Kill! 01

As ong who follows the manga religiously I can approve of this. The gore of the fights and the
torture chamber
was handled much better than I was expecting it to be. Not big on the OP, though the ED is good. They've also nailed how I expect Akame and Mein's voices to be.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - 16

I love how Jojo in this episode was essentially told to work the shaft in order to get stronger.

Still though, that wasn't nearly as crazy as the stuff they were told to do at the end. Breath ten times a second? Inhale for ten minutes and exhale for ten minutes?

Yeesh, and I thought the Greed Island training in Hunter X Hunter was hardcore, this is downright batshit crazy!

Jex

[Space Dandy] - 14

I've just come to accept that, unlike the vast majority of watchers, I don't really find the humour in Space Dandy funny. As the series is a comedy this is a bit of a problem for me. I really appreciate the artistry on display, in terms of the designs and the animation, but the show as a whole doesn't do anything for me.

I wish I could find it funny, but I don't. I will continue to watch because of the amazing talent that's on display every episode.

JoeFu

Banned
Akame ga Kill was pretty decent

I only read the first chapter of the manga, so I knew what was going to happen and I enjoyed it.

Will watch for now.

Superflat

[Space Dandy] - 14

I've just come to accept that, unlike the vast majority of watchers, I don't really find the humour in Space Dandy funny. As the series is a comedy this is a bit of a problem for me. I really appreciate the artistry on display, in terms of the designs and the animation, but the show as a whole doesn't do anything for me.

I wish I could find it funny, but I don't. I will continue to watch because of the amazing talent that's on display every episode.

I never really thought Space Dandy to be labeled first and foremost as a comedy. There's humor in it, but I didn't feel like the show was trying to get laughs out of me. It's basically a giant blank sketchbook that gets passed around a bunch of really talented directors. I see Space Dandy as an excuse for talented people to stretch their imagination and go nuts.

But hey, maybe it is supposed to be a comedy; I never found it super funny either lol

Still enjoying the everloving fuck out of it though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't find many anime shows laugh out loud funny. According to Hummingbird about 60% of shows I've seen can be classified as comedies. I doubt I've even tittered for most of them. I just find them enjoyable and inoffensive.

Defuser

Akame ga kill! ep 1
White Fox made a mistake of choosing the colours,direction and art style for this show. Rather average in terms of production. Nonetheless the follows the source material faithfully and uncensored gore fuck yeah!. But stilll...White Fox made alot of bad decisions.

So can people confirm: Akame ga Kill, more or less edgy than Tokyo Ghoul?
Akame gets more edgy in terms of human cruelty.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Tokyo Ghoul is enough for my grimdark anime of the season. I've actually bothered to check out a good chunk of the shows this season for once, but I'm refraining from seeing them all.

Blusby

So can people confirm: Akame ga Kill, more or less edgy than Tokyo Ghoul?

Ghoul really isn't edgy, except for Rize and Jason Voorhees.
Akame is pure edge though, and I love it.

Akame ga Kill! Ep. 01: Well shit I loved this first episode, unlike Ghoul this was a faithful adaption of the first chapter, and the first chapter only! Animation-wise it was decent, scenes were able to look good in action when it counted, and the shots where characters were idling around looked great. Also from the sampling of tracks I've heard in this episode I was surprised by Taku making a series without dubstep, reminds me of his work on Trust & Betrayl. Anyways to say the least I loved the music, I was worried when I heard the bland Mahouka OST but he delivered. The OP and ED are nice and there's minimal censoring!

Anyways for first episodes I've seen so far I'd put Akame up there with Aldnoah.Zero and Barakamon's first eps in sheer enjoyment.

Akame ga kill! ep 1
White Fox made a mistake of choosing the colours,direction and art style for this show. Rather average in terms of production. Nonetheless the follows the source material faithfully. But stilll...White Fox made alot of bad decisions.

The thing is they're following the source material very closely, the artstyle looked like this early on in the manga so people speculate that the artstyle may change later on to mirror the mangaka's progression, kinda like David Production's Jojo. The coloring is also faithful to the source material given by its colored pages.

[Space Dandy] - 14

Just wanting to know, but what anime series do you actually find funny? Like do you find Gintama hilarious and are there any others.

Jex

I never really thought Space Dandy to be labeled first and foremost as a comedy. There's humor in it, but I didn't feel like the show was trying to get laughs out of me. It's basically a giant blank sketchbook that gets passed around a bunch of really talented directors. I see Space Dandy as an excuse for talented people to stretch their imagination and go nuts.

But hey, maybe it is supposed to be a comedy; I never found it super funny either lol

Still enjoying the everloving fuck out of it though.

People describe "laughing themselves silly" while watching it, it's clearly meant to be a gag comedy and the creators have often described it as such (although it's also a bunch of other stuff).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom