• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Aldnoah Zero 1

That was a predictable course of events. I'm interested in watching more, but the Butch Dialogue, emotionless protagonist, and Titan/KLK copypasta Sawano music have tempered my enthusiasm. On a positive note, the organizational structure of the Martian antagonists seems like it has potential for good political theater, and I wouldn't be completely disappointed if Aldnoah simply becomes an otherwise orthodox mecha anime with F/Z-like even apportionment of time to the conflicting parties, continually shifting allegiances, scheming, betrayal, etc. It's simply too early to predict how the disparate elements will be utilized.

Hattori

Banned
Space Dandy 2-1
It was alright. The episode theme is very reminiscent of Abenobashi. I thought it started very strong but then they dragged on the same schtick a bit too long. The last bit was pretty funny though.

Superflat

People describe "laughing themselves silly" while watching it, it's clearly meant to be a gag comedy and the creators have often described it as such (although it's also a bunch of other stuff).

I guess. I have a hard time imagining someone having a belly laugh over what goes on in Space Dandy lol

op17jssd.jpg

One Piece 652

Cabbage becomes useful and Law gets captured by Mingo and Fuji.

There's also the block fight going on, but that isn't the least bit interesting until the very end.

phaze

Kyousougiga 9

o_O

748392q2jvs.gif

Well, at least a bit.

Yeah fuck that guy. Koto made such a beautiful speech about life, death, destiny all dem deep and important things and it was all for naught because of that dick.
I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around all those reveals.
If Inari is son of God then what was the deal with that Buddha goddess that let Koto senior borrow her body. Was she some smaller God also created by Inari's father ? I smell incest.
Don't know if it was intentional but that 2 minute shot of Koto and Inari explaining things to her while slowly walking was hilarious.
Myoue senior doesn't resemble his goofy, sympathetic episode 1 persona at all anymore. I suppose that's to be expected when one finally reveals his long harbored plans for destruction of universe. Why was he even chilling on Earth in that time ? Surely there are better ways to bring about apocalypse.

It was yet another amazing and emotionally poignant episode.
That ending wrecked me again.

You bastards, what has that poor dog ever done to you. Kill of everyone save Koto, Yakushimaru and him. ;_;

Tenumi

Banned
Akame ga Kill: 01

Hmm... not too bad of a first episode. Although, it has that feeling that it's either going to be great or nosedive into low-end junk. Hopefully it can stay on course of something good.

duckroll

Are we getting an update to the OP anytime soon? Not having a list of simulcast and OTs when the season is already ongoing is kinda meh! :(

I find is amusing the people who don't find Dandy to be that funny usually are watching the sub

Also whenever someone says dubs are never good, Dandy 14 should be the episode you give them and say "nope wrong"

I find is amusing the people who don't find Dandy to be that funny usually are watching the sub

Also whenever someone says dubs are never good, Dandy 14 should be the episode you give them and say "nope wrong"
I'm watching the dub, and always have, and I still don't find it all that funny.

duckroll

I watch both versions of Dandy, usually the dub first. I don't think it's very funny most of the time honestly. It's more of the sort of humor it goes for than any language barriers or anything. Haven't had time to check out the new season yet though!

Ryuuroden

Akame ga Kill! Episode 1:

So this series has been getting a bit of a buzz and reputation, presumably because it is an adaptation of a favored manga of some sort. Anyway, yea, calling this now, this a future member of Toonami, it is made out of that shonen stock that block seems to crave. Anyway, yes, this was dull on the outset but grew some semblance of a personality. Overall if I had to give this soup a flavor rating I would say light shade of Attack on Titan or extra strong Blue Exorcist. It isn't bad or anything but I don't see what the big deal is, well, maybe I do in some of ominous odors. I fear this series descending into using haremism spices and creme du Gary Stu but I suppose I shall have to wait and see how the broth cooks. Also, I should probably eat some lunch.

No way it can air on Toonami, The manga has Berserk levels of brutality and murder in it. If they adapt it from the manga it will be great. If they deviate because the manga is too violent a la Hellsing TV then it will be bad. And no, the lead is no Gary Stu, if anything the enemies are more OP than any of the good guys. Spoiler that follows is a description of one of the badguys in the manga and how brutal he is, I don't even think hes the worst one too
I mean most recently there's a bad guy who looks like an evil clown who kidnaps and rapes little boys and girls and then murders them brutally by torturing them and strangling them and its all drawn right there in the manga and btw he works for the govt.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Valvra*e - 11

OMG! This so is so stupid!
I raped you and I'ma do right by you so please marry me <3
ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME?!!

Aldnoah Zero 1

Pretty by the numbers approach for an introductory episode. It came complete with trademark awkward Butch expository dialogue. The setting interests me so I'll keep watching but there wasn't much to grab onto with this first episode. I will say I laughed out loud at how blasé the MC sounded when he told his friends a missile was going to hit.

Argevollen 1
The opening for this one grabbed me a lot more than Aldnoah probably because instead of having characters who should already know the state of the world talking to each other about the state of the world they just jumped right in the conflict already in progress. The mechs being large lumbering beasts also and following a group on the outskirts of a major battle was definitely more interesting than Aldnoah's opening. Then they had to go ruin it by turning it into generic Boy meets Mecha. I'll stick with it for now but they had something going there for a moment. :(

Tokyo Ghoul - 1

It looks good, and it's violent, and it has a cast and a concept that's has been done a thousand times before, and has been done better in even video games.

I guess, I don't really have much to say on this show, because the show hasn't done anything to grab my attention The "
MC gets turned into a not-human that feeds on humans
" is a pretty common plot, and you are going to have establish some interesting lore ( i.e the non-humans actually have an organised society) or you make the MC interesting and not the average high school student, so you can stand out.

santeesioux

No way it can air on Toonami, The manga has Berserk levels of brutality and murder in it. If they adapt it from the manga it will be great. If they deviate because the manga is too violent a la Hellsing TV then it will be bad. And no, the lead is no Gary Stu, if anything the enemies are more OP than any of the good guys.

That's a shame, this is the most Toonami like show i've seen in a while.

Theonik

Are we getting an update to the OP anytime soon? Not having a list of simulcast and OTs when the season is already ongoing is kinda meh! :(
That's because a lot of them aren't announced until the season is ongoing too. We got a ton from AX yesterday.
Also. YOU HAVE THE POWER!

/XX/

Who was at Anime Expo 'Production I.G Panel' on this past Friday? Did Maki Terashima-Furuta really talk about a upcoming GHOST IN THE SHELL third film in a somewhat serious manner?

While checking some panel transcripts I noticed this quotes:

Production I.G@AX14 - Live Feed Browser (Epsilon) said:
14:10:52 <bay|AX|IG> Q: When do you think Oshii will start working on GITS Movie 3?
14:11:09 <bay|AX|IG> A: Guess what... (as if about to say something).... I can't say.
O.K., usual non-committal response, but shortly after that:

Production I.G@AX14 - Live Feed Browser (Epsilon) said:
14:20:57 <bay|AX|IG> Q: How much does it cost to produce something like the next Ghost in the Shell movies you have coming up?
14:21:04 <bay|AX|IG> A: It really varies... GITS2 Innocense was 18 million
14:21:29 <bay|AX|IG> I don't know about GITS3 but it will probably be more.. you want to invest?
http://bayoab.info/live/live2.php?panel=47

I thought she was mostly been coy for the sake of it on the first quote, but the second one seriously throws me off (talking of it as a sure matter to come)... is she serious or is this wishful thinking on her part? I want to know the tone with which she said those words... :-D

Jarmel

Banned
Fuck me that's so typical mecha anime hahahahaha

I don't mind though. I don't want Slaine to have his waifu taken away, so
if she really is alive i hope she doesnt go for dandere onii-sama

Dude, the show is looking to be Fate/Zero V.2. The Earth lead is Kirei (they're even using the 'controlled facial animation' thing) and Slaine might end up as Kiri.

We have multiple factions all fighting each other for Earth/Holy Grail.

No way it can air on Toonami, The manga has Berserk levels of brutality and murder in it. If they adapt it from the manga it will be great. If they deviate because the manga is too violent a la Hellsing TV then it will be bad. And no, the lead is no Gary Stu, if anything the enemies are more OP than any of the good guys. Spoiler that follows is a description of one of the badguys in the manga and how brutal he is, I don't even think hes the worst one too
I mean most recently there's a bad guy who looks like an evil clown who kidnaps and rapes little boys and girls and then murders them brutally by torturing them and strangling them and its all drawn right there in the manga and btw he works for the govt.
What's even more unsettling is the fact that that whole group except the vampire girl does shit like that. The leader rape/murders women, Cosmina rape/murders men and that other guy rape/murders women as well.

Dandy is fun , but is nothing ground breaking , it's a great ride regardless

**Watching the sub**

On the topic of dubs are there any anime you think work better dubbed than subbed?

I tried watching Ergo Proxy subbed first then tried the dub and went with that. The dub was competent enough and the setting worked better with spoken English dialog rather than Japanese.

Jarmel

Banned
On the topic of dubs are there any anime you think work better dubbed than subbed?

I tried watching Ergo Proxy subbed first then tried the dub and went with that. The dub was competent enough and the setting worked better with spoken English dialog rather than Japanese.

Black Lagoon in theory.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I feel bad for people who can't appreciate english dub QT.

Anime tends to be really campy... the less I know about the language, the less campy it feels. Though through many people pointing out the camp in Japanese dubbed anime, the affects are wearing off.

Still my best memories of anime from when I was my mid to late teens were all English dubs. The transitions to subs was a hard one too. Having been firmly planted in both camps at one time or another, it feels like its just a matter of preference so some dubs to butcher the material which makes me angry at times.

JoeFu

Banned
Cowboy Bebop, Baccano, and Samurai Champloo had good dubs

I prefer the Baccano dub, the accents just make sense.

Space Dandy dub is really good too.

DRAMAtical Murder Episode 1
Br4VyufCIAAE1x0.png

That aoba scene was great, and his outfit never gets old to see, if only the yellow socks could be traded for something else, and his laugh is too good.

Rhyme was a good part with how it moved and felt like an actual game in there. How they jumped around, flew and dodged.

OST is also pretty strong with tons of great tracks. Great debut for its anime version of the bl game.

Rhapsody

Banned
Akame ga Kill 1

I actually liked the first episode. My only issue is maybe how the anime handled the character designs, but other than that it did a pretty good job covering the first chapter.

Narag

Giant Robo and Big O both have a campier feeling with their dubs that enhance it all.

Akame ga Kill 1

Well.... That took a dark turn rather suddenly. I started out thinking it was one kind of show, then it pulled the rug out from under me. It was handled well, though. I haven't been surprised in this manner by a show in a while. And I really liked what I saw. Looking forward to seeing where the series goes from here.

Akame ga Kill! 01

Generic/10 OP. No, Akame is not actually important stop tryin' to convince me
Equally generic ED.

Seems like the OST is pretty decent so far.
Lots of blood and gore. But they did kinda censor one shot.
I have a feeling this series will be hilarious when I know everything that happens.

And that it'll also be popular because edge.

I started Knights of Sidonia on Netflix. I'm sure this has been spoken about to death, but it has some big story beats that are similar to Attack on Titan. I read that both mangas came out in 09, so is one considered the 'first,' or does no one really compare them like that?

DRAMAtical Murder 01

:woofdawg

Well, I'm intrigued. It's certainly got style.

I'm already used to the idea that the :woofdawg is the complete opposite of what I'd like so I'll probably keep away lol

Baccano, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo. Black Lagoon i hear is great, but if you only watched it dub you missed the entire arc where they speak engrish over and over again so you are missing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom