• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phatmac

I was very surprised reading it for the first time. It's so much more violent and almost horror themed. I hope the film goes all the way with those aspects.

Then there are the really awkward and semi-horrifying hentai parts that I have no clue how they're going to get around but the story will probably still be better without them.
It'd be the best route if only Sakura was a better character and if the true ending was better. I love how Shirou evolves during the route and his overall condition. It's brutal stuff overall.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cause people understand English, silly weeby.
also some dubs are just AWESOME. either bad or good.
Infinite Stratos is the best dub, really. lol

I mean, I can't imagine something like Hyouka being dubbed with all the Californian accents that all the actors seem to use for every anime dub ever. I think it would kill the show for me.

Articalys

People have to learn that no studio is exempt from making poor works. When people say, "If only Studio X was doing such-and-such instead," all I can think is how that would be no guarantee of success. The staff of a particular production is a much better indication of its likely quality, and even that doesn't make for sure bets.
It's nice to dream.

Cornbread78

Yui tricked them on a date in in order to confess her feelings and force Yuki to as well. Hachi stops her since it won't be genuine and they all agree to solve Yuki's family problems before continuing their problem as a group.

My summary was easier, yours was better, lol.

yami4ct

When Marnie Was There

You pretty much put my thoughts out in a much more eloquent way than I really can put down. I think my one problem with the film, if you can really call it a problem, is that it's such a hard movie to get through. The film does a really good job of putting you in the Anna. It gives you a feeling of social anxiety and isolation. Even at the end, I can't say the film leaves you feeling positive and happy like most of Ghibli's other work. I really liked the film, but it's one I don't think I could bear watching again any time soon.

This film solidified what I felt about Yonebayashi after Arriety, though. He's got a ton of talent and I really hope he gets to develop it more. He could make some really, really special films with just a little more practice. It feels like he's most of the way there.

Narag

Jesus this really is Firehawk Friday. lol
Why are you even watching DogScissors?

I think the best part of the IS OVA is that eunuch Ichika is literally fighting her own sexual desires. :p

• I have to know.
  • I think Houki's part was more substantial in the LN since it dealt with her feelings. No pervy shit really so rip screentime

cajunator

Banned
Alright, so I need AnimeGaf's help with something. I'm going to get one Aniplex title, and I need to decide which one I get. My choices are Fate/Zero Set 1, Bakemonogatari, or the 8th Kara no Kyoukai movie.

Fate/Zero Set 1 I mostly want to get because I already have set II, and I'd like to complete my collection of it. Bakemonogatari is the same price, and I'd really like to have the first season of it. Kara no Kyoukai's 8th movie is more affordable than both, and it's something I enjoyed. Still, it's not a full series worth of content.

Which should I pick up?

Fate zero 1. You can get the others later but complete the collection first! Why did you only get vol 2?

How did I just find out spoiler tags for images is a thing on Gaf now?

This is going to change everything.

Doesnt work on mobile so its use is limited.

Well, restraint as ultimate suggests. Hell, Funi is starting to get into the anime production game (although I guess they did that with the Bioware movies), and honestly this will probably end in disaster. Except now that people have gotten paid to do subs, I wonder if any of these people would even consider going back to doing subbing for free as "fans". lol

Well, beyond the fact that I think the acting is generally bad or at least bland, I just think it's better to watch anything in their native language. I wouldn't want to see a dubbed version of Borgen, for example.

I just meant in terms of trying to get old anime to buff up an archive. No one gives a shit about old anime. Hell, no one gives a shit about last year's anime. lol

I think they believe that contracting it all into one sub will help their numbers, but I think they are two completely different audiences. Especially since kdrama fans are probably a different group of people than anime fans (or even jdrama fans). Then they are also competing with Viki, which is a whole different can of worms.

I think Funi can do it since they have their own studios anyway, and they presumably are planning to use these dubs on their disc releases. I know someone who has stopped watching simulcasts and switched to simuldubs, even though they are several weeks behind.

Well, considering how positive they seemed to be about their own distribution a year ago, I just think it's an interesting sign. I guess since Funimation already has the Christian Home Video stuff, they'll never really get out of the physical media business though. But I presume this lets them free up capital for other ventures.

Some dubs are very heartfelt. I know that Tiffany Grant has a lot of fun voicing and so does Luci Christian. Then of course there is asshole Doug Smith. They put in good effort.

Articalys

When Marnie Was There

[...]

Perhaps my only criticism is the ending of the film, where all is revealed in a clunky Up style exposition dump that explain everything in seemingly excruciating detail. But that said, it pays off in a final revelation at the end that literally sent chills down my spine and gave me goosebumps. I'm not sure if there would have been another way to script that revelation so that it happens more organically - much like the end of From Up On Poppy Hill, the entire film almost hinges on that discovery, so trying to allude to it earlier on might ruin the climax... but I just feel like there must be a better solution than what they had here.
You're talking about
the painter's story here, right? I was actually playing the guessing game about Marnie's identity for the whole movie, and at the end of the tower scene, when Anna sees Marnie waking away with what's-his-name, I suddenly realized what I was 100% sure had to be the correct answer: she's her mother. That actually made the "do you forgive me" scene more powerful for me, since at that point I was interpreting it as Marnie asking to be forgiven by her daughter for not being there for her. Of course, I was off by a generation, which I realized during that flashback story.

You pretty much put my thoughts out in a much more eloquent way than I really can put down. I think my one problem with the film, if you can really call it a problem, is that it's such a hard movie to get through. The film does a really good job of putting you in the Anna. It gives you a feeling of social anxiety and isolation. Even at the end, I can't say the film leaves you feeling positive and happy like most of Ghibli's other work. I really liked the film, but it's one I don't think I could bear watching again any time soon.

This film solidified what I felt about Yonebayashi after Arriety, though. He's got a ton of talent and I really hope he gets to develop it more. He could make some really, really special films with just a little more practice. It feels like he's most of the way there.

I personally disagree - I felt very uplifted by the process of healing that gradually takes place over the course of the film, and the final scene with Anna saying goodbye to all the people she met over the course of her summer really drove home how much she's changed for the better. It's a more positive ending than even something like Spirited Away, where the ending
implies that Chihiro has completely forgotten about everything that happened and gone right back to her old self.
The Priscilla Ahn song is melancholy to be sure, but that doesn't erase the character development that has taken place.
Loved that shot of Marnie waving from the window.

With Marnie, I feel Yonebayashi has already made a film which is really, really special.

yami4ct

I personally disagree - I felt very uplifted by the process of healing that gradually takes place over the course of the film, and the final scene with Anna saying goodbye to all the people she met over the course of her summer really drove home how much she's changed for the better. It's a more positive ending than even something like Spirited Away, where the ending
implies that Chihiro has completely forgotten about everything that happened and gone right back to her old self.
The Priscilla Ahn song is melancholy to be sure, but that doesn't erase the character development that has taken place.

With Marnie, I feel Yonebayashi has already made a film which is really, really special.

The final ending is certainly mostly positive, to be sure. I think I was more talking about the last 1/3 or so as being a very somber ending to the film. Marnie's tale in particular is heart wrenching and difficult. Combine that with the films already somber and empty tone and it makes it a difficult watch. That's not really a bad thing, as that's what the film intends to be, but it somehow holds me back from absolute adoration of the final product.

Classroom Crisis 1
So the transfer student isn't the awkward hero/heroine but instead a prick caring about business. Interesting dynamic. It's also a space colony on Mars developing spaceships which seems interesting as well. I sort of get a light mecha feel from this show so far

Saudades

Did anyone actually watch this anime?
Seen half of it, remember being kinda disappointed by the production value. Would've been nice to see some good dogfights.
NINA VIENTO.
Watch Non Non Biyori and Ushio no Tora. Though the latter hasn't been subbed by Crunchyroll yet.

Still waiting for Rokka too.
Haven't watched the first season of the former and yeah, still waiting for the latter to be subbed.
Why are you guys turning this into Seo's territory?

Yeah fuck you Fuuka.
Won't be Fuuka unless she avoids the bus and then gets hit by a truck instead.

Time for LWA aka Trigger's only good property
still haven't watched Inferno Cop

cajunator

Banned
Thanks for the replies everyone. Welp I guess I'll end up buying the BD for Non Non Biyori.

Yeah I realize that but I'm just being a bit cautious because of how amazing the art for OnePunch Man is by Murata. It could either turn out something really special or something terrible. But since the Space Dandy team is on it I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully it turns out amazing.

You should buy Non Non Biyori anyway!

Yeah it could totally be a fuck up, but it could be a fuck up at MAPPA too!
I refuse to admit that BONES could fuck anything up, no one can make me!

So who was responsible for season 2 of Chaika?

Clov

Fate zero 1. You can get the others later but complete the collection first! Why did you only get vol 2?

I got set II first because it had all my favorite episodes of the series on it. Since Aniplex releases are pricey, I can't buy them too frequently, so I decided to get the set with my favorites first.

I think I'll end up going with Fate/Zero after all. Bakemonogatari will have to wait for another day.

cajunator

Banned
I got set II first because it had all my favorite episodes of the series on it. Since Aniplex releases are pricey, I can't buy them too frequently, so I decided to get the set with my favorites first.

I think I'll end up going with Fate/Zero after all. Bakemonogatari will have to wait for another day.

Monogatari is a huuuuuuuuuuge franchise so you might be wise to wait until you have funds to watch more than S1 cause it wont be enough.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan 6

Not a particularly great episode. Best part about it was Ryoko's reaction to Yuki and Kyon being close and Kyon feeding Yuki food. Other than that, it was a meh episode.

Clov

Monagatari is a huuuuuuuuuuge franchise so you might be wise to wait until you have funds to watch more than S1 cause it wont be enough.

Ah, I've already watched all of Monogatari. Personally I don't buy anything without watching it first. I just wanted to own Bake for myself, since the only Monogatari release I own is Koimonogatari (my favorite second season arc).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The real school mystery is which teen has anti vaxxer parents
Girlock Holmes featuring the cast of The O.C.

• I have to know.
  • I think Houki's part was more substantial in the LN since it dealt with her feelings. No pervy shit really so rip screentime
Well, I did say Dog Scissors is a perfectly functional anime. lol
At least you're watching tank girls + Aria though. Although you'll hit the infamous yuri episode (assuming you are watching the OVAs in continuity) and the
pee
episode. Really wish they weren't there. :p

Some dubs are very heartfelt. I know that Tiffany Grant has a lot of fun voicing and so does Luci Christian. Then of course there is asshole Doug Smith. They put in good effort.
I'm going to have to defer to other people's expertise. But I tried Haruhi and K-On dubbed and just couldn't do it.

You're talking about
the painter's story here, right? I was actually playing the guessing game about Marnie's identity for the whole movie, and at the end of the tower scene, when Anna sees Marnie waking away with what's-his-name, I suddenly realized what I was 100% sure had to be the correct answer: she's her mother. That actually made the "do you forgive me" scene more powerful for me, since at that point I was interpreting it as Marnie asking to be forgiven by her daughter for not being there for her. Of course, I was off by a generation, which I realized during that flashback story.
Yeah,
I never considered her being her grandmother a possibility as I was watching it. I think that's part of why I thought it was a bit convoluted at the end, with the revelations about Marnie's childhood, then Marnie losing her daughter, only get Anna and then die a year later. It felt like one tragedy too many. That was actually one of my snarks as I was watching the film, that Marnie's mother literally doesn't matter at all to her. She has this catharsis via Marnie but doesn't care about who her mother was (I can't even remember her name lol)

I will say, it's definitely the most personal and relatable Ghibli film that I've seen in a while. Anna's personal problems are both minor, in the grand scheme of life, but also major because of how they impact her, so it's a nice balance there.

And yeah, hopefully he gets another chance. Who knows if it will be with the Ghibli branding behind him though.

The final ending is certainly mostly positive, to be sure. I think I was more talking about the last 1/3 or so as being a very somber ending to the film. Marnie's tale in particular is heart wrenching and difficult. Combine that with the films already somber and empty tone and it makes it a difficult watch. That's not really a bad thing, as that's what the film intends to be, but it somehow holds me back from absolute adoration of the final product.
It's funny, because I only bring up Momo and Mai Mai Miracle because of how similar the arcs are. All three have to deal with a dead parent (or parents in the case of Anna) as well. Anna certainly has the most difficulty of all three though, so I agree there, but I do think it makes the ending all the more impactful. The final moment with the photograph is just amazing, and only works because of the opening characterization.

yami4ct

Punch Line 2-6

I finally am taking the time to catch up on this series. I'm really glad I did. I don't think I would've made it past the first episode if Uchikoshi's name wasn't on it.

This is such a weird show and I have really mixed feelings on it. At it's core, I would say it's sort of Uchikoshi's attempt at a comedy story. It mostly works, but mixing in his style of hyper-complex time travel fiction with comedy doesn't leave much room for the characters to breath and exist. There is just so much going one here and the show is really manic. It doesn't concentrate on any one aspect very long and it doesn't leave all the major plot twists much room to breath. I really like what's here and I'm slowly finding myself actually caring about the characters and their plots, but that's taking longer than the show really should have.

I think ultimately Punch Line feels like a crowded adaptation of a much longer VN, which I suppose it is. I'm enjoying the show for what it is, but I really am hoping the VN gets localized. It does seem like ultimately that will be the place where the smaller aspects of the story get time to shine.

Credit where credit's due, MAPPA has done a really good job with the animation here. The show oozes style. They also pull off quite a few bits of subtle visual comedy that I think might be missing if this were done with lesser quality animation. Also, the music is amazing. Whoever did the soundtrack and picked the OP and EP deserves a gold star.

jman2050

Little Witch Academia 2

I'd say that was well worth the wait.

It's funny because part of it was clearly worse than the first and yet the remainder was also better than the first so I'm not sure how it averages out. Also the three new girls were great, spinoff starring them when?

wonzo

Banned
okusama 1
okusama1.jpg
okusama1a.jpg

fucking trash

Cornbread78

To Love Ru ep 9-16
I just want to day that I've been watching a couple episodes a week for awhile now and finally, just finished ep.16. The show is really funny so far and is very entertaining. I mean, it is a shit ton of lewdness, and there's no true plot for the story Riki a pretty good MC and Lala is funny. Also, Haruna is a cutie and his true love, and now Run has officially joined the harem as well. I can't wait to finish this up and move onto Darkness.

yami4ct

Almost miss this with all the AX news:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...nounces-3rd-game-in-zero-escape-series/.90051
Glad Uchikoshi is working on a new Zero Escape game. I thought he was gonna be busy with that Punchline game.

From what I heard, ZE3 was green lit 9 months ago. He probably finished at least his initial rounds of the Punch-Line script at that point. The script is an important part of a VN, but it's probably not the longest portion of its development time.

Pundere

Yui tricked them on a date in in order to confess her feelings and force Yuki to as well. Hachi stops her since it won't be genuine and they all agree to solve Yuki's family problems before continuing their problem as a group.
Thanks for this. I really like SNAFU but the characters can be so vague at times that it's hard to follow what they're actually saying.

Conan-san

okusama 1

fucking trash
Yeah, that's pretty much the size of it. Wow, how do people not just throw their TVs into the streets in japan when shit like that conts as decent editing practices.

(The joke is the Uncut isn't that much better but, hey, it's two connecting individuals who are not related so there's that I suppose.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom