• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

For me there are 3 levels of anime. The ones I watch because I legitimately like them, the ones that I watch to pass time, and the ones I don't even know why I watch but still do anyway. Umaru and Shirayuki both fall in the 2nd category. Only show to fall in the 3rd one this season is honestly Classroom Crisis.

Sadly, Durarara is in the 3rd category to me. Every week I think if I should watch the episode or just drop it, decide to watch it and regret my decision.

X2 was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

But I'll still watch it. No idea why, but I will.

Classroom Crisis was one of the rare shows that I dropped in the first episode, and I didn't even hate it or anything, it was just... Why should I watch that?

Cornbread78

Ore Monogatari 22
Hopefully Stalker-chan was just filler to give Saijou time to get over Takeo and form the supreme couple with Suna. This can't be yet another show where the best girls lose forever.

I'd be OK with this, but doesn't she just have a crush on Takeo? Perfect Suna match..

BTW, Funi uploaded the first 2 seasons of Eureka 7 onto Youtube, so I'll check those out starting today. You guys better be right since this will be my first true "mecha" anime outside of Cross Ange and TTGL.

blurr

I quite like X2, it's enjoyable and lots of things are happening, particularly in regard to Ryuugamine. He's gotten a lot more interesting. Trash? not even close.

Sadly, Durarara is in the 3rd category to me. Every week I think if I should watch the episode or just drop it, decide to watch it and regret my decision.

X2 was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

But I'll still watch it. No idea why, but I will.

Classroom Crisis was one of the rare shows that I dropped in the first episode, and I didn't even hate it or anything, it was just... Why should I watch that?
I dropped Durarara completely this season after this whole time. Nostalgia glasses made me hold the series to high regard, only for the first X2 season to make me rethink that, and then this one was enough for me to see that I just don't care about these characters anymore. There were so many, I didn't even remember why they were relevant.

Classroom Crisis is like I said before a show that keeps taking one step forward, two steps back every single episode. Right when you think it's gonna be something that is good it goes right back to its mediocrity. There's lost potential in this one let me tell you.

Gbraga

I dropped Durarara completely this season after this whole time. Nostalgia glasses made me hold the series to high regard, only for the first X2 season to make me rethink that, and then this one was enough for me to see that I just don't care about these characters anymore. There were so many, I didn't even remember why they were relevant.

Classroom Crisis is like I said before a show that keeps taking one step forward, two steps back every single episode. Right when you think it's gonna be something that is good it goes right back to its mediocrity. There's lost potential in this one let me tell you.

This is exactly it, about Durarara, it made me realize that perhaps I didn't like the original one as much as I thought I did.

Way too many characters, way too many boring storylines I don't care about. There are pretty interesting episodes every now and then, like the last one, but still... I'd rather keep my fond memories of the original season, and never, ever, rewatch it.

Maybe if they kept the Hollywood thing for longer it could be a more interesting plot connecting every character instead of a billion irrelevant subplots being developed at the same time?

This is exactly it, about Durarara, it made me realize that perhaps I didn't like the original one as much as I thought I did.

Way too many characters, way too many boring storylines I don't care about. There are pretty interesting episodes every now and then, like the last one, but still... I'd rather keep my fond memories of the original season, and never, ever, rewatch it.

Maybe if they kept the Hollywood thing for longer it could be a more interesting plot connecting every character instead of a billion irrelevant subplots being developed at the same time?
The only arc I really cared about was Ryugamine's, and he only shows up once in a while nowadays, since they want to keep showing us everyone else. Then, FOR SOME REASON that blonde kid, the leader or whatever I forgot his name, just kept sitting at home mopping around about how he's too scared to meet with his friends. Like, I just couldn't deal with it. If they focused on the 3 characters I cared about, Ryugamine, blonde kid, and glasses girl, with a few scenes here and there for all the other characters I'd be cool.

The fact that I don't even say their names goes to show just how much I can't remember things because of character overbloat lol.

fertygo

When I ranted about Shion last week, I was planning on doing so no matter what. The preview just made it easy to justify. Though I was pretty sure she'd finally get her chance here, but as long as there was uncertainty I could still do it. But I mostly just find it funny that the thing I most wanted happened two episodes after I caught up. Either way, it was a glorious moment.

Yeah man its really satisfying we finally get Powa Powa Puririn perfomance, Aikatsu doing some fantastic thing with its long airing format.

Although random Dreaca cameo is in awkward order, wouldn't it made more sense to show their dance first as device for waiting shion plot? and PPW performance as climax?

weird..

Cornbread78

Eureka 7 ep. 1-2
Damn... OK, this is pretty friggen' good. Lots of action, adventure and sci-fi goodness. Looks like we have a clearly defined relationship right from the begining, but I'm sure that is going to change from all teh images I've already seen. Still pretty interesting stuff and the use of music is really good too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I didn't really feel much with the last two episodes of Ore Monogatari for some reason, I mean it was okay really but it just didn't do much for me.

I dropped it long ago since it felt like it was going nowhere. They tackled the major hurdle (their discovery of their love) right at the beginning and it kind of plodded on from there.

Gbraga

I dropped it long ago since it felt like it was going nowhere. They tackled the major hurdle (their discovery of their love) right at the beginning and it kind of plodded on from there.

But that's kind of the point, though. It's the daily lives of a couple and their friends, with all kinds of stuff that we never get in most animes of this type because the entire thing is a build up to the confession. I like that model too, I'm enjoying Jitsu wa Watashi wa a lot, but Ore Monogatari was very refreshing with getting that out of the way right at the start.

A lot of people will agree that Suna is the best character, but that's only possible because he's not the eternal support character to Takeo's insecurities about confessing to a girl he thinks will never like him, the romance is already happening, so there's more than enough time to really explore Suna as a character.

They should have just stretched it out where they confess right at the end and everything before then is just beach and bath house episodes

Cornbread78

But that's kind of the point, though. It's the daily lives of a couple and their friends, with all kinds of stuff that we never get in most animes of this type because the entire thing is a build up to the confession. I like that model too, I'm enjoying Jitsu wa Watashi wa a lot, but Ore Monogatari was very refreshing with getting that out of the way right at the start.

A lot of people will agree that Suna is the best character, but that's only possible because he's not the eternal support character to Takeo's insecurities about confessing to a girl he thinks will never like him, the romance is already happening, so there's more than enough time to really explore Suna as a character.

This is exactly it. Too many times, we get rosey cheeks for 11 episodes, then maybe a confession in the final episode. Ore Mongatari is set up to follow their relationship and all it's utter cuteness from the start; I love that about it! I also love the tone of the anime and the presence both Suna and Takeo have. Same thing I thought after episode 1, I think now; the show is a great balance of romance/bromance. I just hope Suna gets a girl at some point, but who knows. Is there enough source material for a 3rd season?

now in regards to Jitsu wa Watashi wa, they are taking the total opposite approach, where there have been non-stop hints about feelings and rosey cheeks, and a lot or episodic events (yes, I know they have jumped around the manga A LOT) but until Monday's episode, there was nothing there. Monday's episode handles the relationship development in a great way by actually attacking the relationship head-on and moving it forward. I really liked that episode!

Gbraga

This is exactly it. Too many times, we get rosey cheeks for 11 episodes, then maybe a confession in the final episode. Ore Mongatari is set up to follow their relationship and all it's utter cuteness from the start; I love that about it! I also love the tone of the anime and the presence both Suna and Takeo have. Same thing I thought after episode 1, I think now; the show is a great balance of romance/bromance. I just hope Suna gets a girl at some point, but who knows. Is there enough source material for a 3rd season?

I hope so, it's really good, and I also can't see how it would end if we only have a few more episodes left. Unless they just go with an open ending, which I'm also fine with.

now in regards to Jitsu wa Watashi wa, they are taking the total opposite approach, where there have been non-stop hints about feelings and rosey cheeks, and a lot or episodic events (yes, I know they have jumped around the manga A LOT) but until Monday's episode, there was nothing there. Monday's episode handles the relationship development in a great way by actually attacking the relationship head-on and moving it forward. I really liked that episode!

You're right about that. It was no confession, but still a significant development. It seems like they're both quite aware of each other's feelings, just too shy to actually talk about it directly. What worries me is the jumping around the manga part, because they could go somewhere before that part and it'll feel like the development of last episode wasn't there at all. Unless the manga also does this and, aside from a few key episodes, they don't acknowledge any development.

Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider starts October 8th on Noitamina.

Main staff:

Director: Mamoru Kanbe
Series Composition and Screenplay: Toshiya Ohno
Screenplay: Yuusuke Watanabe, Mami Amemiya
Original Character Design: Inio Asano
Character Design: Yoshiko Okuda
Color Design: Kanako Hokari
Art Director: Masatoshi Kai
3D Director: Akira Fukuda
Director of Photography: Ken Hagiwara
Music: Kenji Kawai
Sound Director: Katsunori Shimizu
Prop Design: Haruo Miyagawa
Laboratory Design: Shin Nagasawa
Editing: Takeshi Seyama
Production: A-1 Pictures

Source

Noragami Aragoto TV Anime's starts October 3

Dimension W starts January (Winter 2016)

Cornbread78

I hope so, it's really good, and I also can't see how it would end if we only have a few more episodes left. Unless they just go with an open ending, which I'm also fine with.

You're right about that. It was no confession, but still a significant development. It seems like they're both quite aware of each other's feelings, just too shy to actually talk about it directly. What worries me is the jumping around the manga part, because they could go somewhere before that part and it'll feel like the development of last episode wasn't there at all. Unless the manga also does this and, aside from a few key episodes, they don't acknowledge any development.

I'm not 100% sure, but, like so many, the anime for Actually, I Am, was definately only made as a marketing tool for the manga. I doubt ww will see a second season, which is why they have been jumping around teh manga chapters and combining them into episodes of the anime. Yup, it's a promo anime...

I havne;t heard anything about Ore Monogatari, I'm sure that is something that Manga GAF could anser though.... Maybe I'll ask in their thread after..

And here we go AnimeGAF. Get ready for the feels. Next episode shit's going to go down.

next episode of what?

Naruto Shippuden: Season 17 Episode 427 – To the Dream World
CN-LmIRU8AAlfMd.jpg
CN-7ET-W8AEXuW3.png

ROAD To TENTEN is pretty funny cause we get to see this awesome Sasuke again. All his love lines are so good and hilarious. I also like the naruto, I mean Menma.

Lee is so different too, best outfit for him.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It just failed to keep my attention, and I watch a lot of shows where the plot is basically 'people do everyday stuff'. The gimmick that he's not a typical shoujo protagonist wears thin and the rest of the humour wasn't that good. A couple of chuckles here and there but feeble compared to something like Gintama.

e_i

I'm not 100% sure, but, like so many, the anime for Actually, I Am, was definately only made as a marketing tool for the manga. I doubt ww will see a second season, which is why they have been jumping around teh manga chapters and combining them into episodes of the anime. Yup, it's a promo anime...

I havne;t heard anything about Ore Monogatari, I'm sure that is something that Manga GAF could anser though.... Maybe I'll ask in their thread after..

next episode of what?

School Live. The way the 9th episode ends...oh boy.
Megu-nee's coming to get ya!

Gbraga

Oh shit that's right, we're getting more Noragami next season! Bisha arc <3

I hope there's a new Lotus Juice song to go with it.

phaze

Really? I've only watched 3 episodes so far, I think, can't see how it would change that much to make you cry in the ending. Can't wait to see it for myself.

I certainly didn't expect it at that point either. Bah, even though I enjoyed the second half greatly, I still didn't think it capable of pulling something like this. Granted i'm a sappy bastard but the execution of certain moments was just brilliant

Yup, teared up a bunch of times during the lat 2 or 3 episodes.

I've got to say I was really glad the story actually comes together really well towards the end. It's not unusual for these sort of shows with large mysteries to completely fail to live up to actually tie everything together. Nah, this was very well thought-out.

Have a few minor qualms though, such as
the role the Nekome brothers played. Sousuke especially had a too simple motive and felt one-dimensionally evil when most of the other characters were rather well written.
Dennou Coil spoilers.
I wish they spend a bit more time on him and his motives cause yeah, he does come off as a one-note character.

Naruto Shippuden 427-428
1ew6pxfhdjci.gif

TenTen the best

Can't believe they managed to spend 40 minutes on this. And they didn't even have the decency to animate the battle at the end. o_O.

Mirai Nikki 6-8
This show is so dumb it physically hurts me.

I quite like X2, it's enjoyable and lots of things are happening, particularly in regard to Ryuugamine. He's gotten a lot more interesting. Trash? not even close.

You and me both. I think we're the only ones here along with DTL that are still watching and enjoying Durarara X2.

Sterok

Yeah man its really satisfying we finally get Powa Powa Puririn perfomance, Aikatsu doing some fantastic thing with its long airing format.

Although random Dreaca cameo is in awkward order, wouldn't it made more sense to show their dance first as device for waiting shion plot? and PPW performance as climax?

weird..

Dreaca should've performed first so that we'd lose hope PPP would finally get a proper performance, since the episode already had its obligatory dance. Then bam, Shion turns up anyway and the episode climaxes with the performance of the season. Instead it was pretty obvious Shion would make it in time since it was still so early in the episode when the festival started. And Dreaca's appearance was completely out of left field, so their whole thing was kind of awkward.

Naruto Shippuden: Season 17 Episode 428 – Where Tenten Belongs

She is better in this alternate world, Ill miss Road To Tenten.

Road to Killer Bee or Killer Bee RAPPUDEN will be a fun one next week, and its a two parter even.

Ascheroth

You and me both. I think we're the only ones here along with DTL that are still watching and enjoying Durarara X2.

I'm watching it too and enjoy it quite a bit. I'm actually pretty amazed how even the episodes about characters I thought I didn't really care about turned out really good and made me rethink stuff (particularly the episode about Seiji and his stalker girlfriend).

JulianImp

I'm also enjoying it a lot because of how it handles its characters, even though it's harder to follow all the plots that are going on simultaneously with none of them being the main focus yet unlike the first season, which had a fairly prominent plot thread that revolved around the secrets that Anri, Ryuugamine and Masaomi kept from each other.

Now there's Izaya plotting an absurd number of things at the same time, Celty finally realizing that he's the one who has her head, Ruri's stalker, Ruri actually being Hollywood, Varona and the Awakusu ojou getting closer to Shizuo so that they can eventually kill him, the Awakusu mafia trying to fight organizations that are secretly owned by Izaya, Mikado taking over Blue Square alongside a more "hands-on" approach to kick undeserved guys out of the Dollars, Masaomi coming back to see Mikado has joined forces with his old rivals, and asking his former gang mates to get back together, Saika Jr. being back... etcetera.

Squalor

I'm also enjoying it a lot because of how it handles its characters, even though it's harder to follow all the plots that are going on simultaneously with none of them being the main focus yet unlike the first season, which had a fairly prominent plot thread that revolved around the secrets that Anri, Ryuugamine and Masaomi kept from each other.

Now there's Izaya plotting an absurd number of things at the same time, Celty finally realizing that he's the one who has her head, Ruri's stalker, Ruri actually being Hollywood, Varona and the Awakusu ojou getting closer to Shizuo so that they can eventually kill him, the Awakusu mafia trying to fight organizations that are secretly owned by Izaya, Mikado taking over Blue Square alongside a more "hands-on" approach to kick undeserved guys out of the Dollars, Masaomi coming back to see Mikado has joined forces with his old rivals, and asking his former gang mates to get back together, Saika Jr. being back... etcetera.
I'm actually impressed with the show's ability to balance all of this.

Certainly the narrative and pace haven't been perfect, but the feat is damn impressive nonetheless.

I probably should have waited for all the parts to be out. I feel as though the way x2 is structured translates better to binge viewing.

There's probably something new I'll pick up on with each viewing as well.

Certainly the narrative and pace haven't been perfect, but the feat is damn impressive nonetheless.

I probably should have waited for all the parts to be out. I feel as though the way x2 is structured translates better to binge viewing.

But they haven't balanced it at all. Shit happens and then you don't see characters again for weeks or even seasons at a time. There's no structure to the storytelling at all. It's random events in the lives of 3000 characters with no payoff. How can you be impressed with the show's greatest failing?

Russ T

Banned

I'm also watching and enjoying it!

At first I was surprised people disliked it, until I read the reasons for their distaste. There are definitely a lot of characters, and they definitely focus less on Ryuugamine than they used to. And that's why I like it.

There's something about a story that just haphazardly follows a bunch of different characters, and skips around in time, and doesn't really give a fuck about conventionally telling a linear story that really appeals to me. I fucking love it. :D

But they haven't balanced it at all. Shit happens and then you don't see characters again for weeks or even seasons at a time. There's no structure to the storytelling at all. It's random events in the lives of 3000 characters with no payoff. How can you be impressed with the show's greatest failing?

Well, but, it's not random to me, and there's plenty of payoff for me. It's not a failing for me. It's the show's greatest strength.

Squalor

But they haven't balanced it at all. Shit happens and then you don't see characters again for weeks or even seasons at a time. There's no structure to the storytelling at all. How you you be impressed with the show's greatest failing?
I don't consider that a failing. I don't expect to see every character every week or even every other week. Not every aspects needs or deserves the same narrative weight.

They've structured x2 more like a short story collection, than some typical run-of-the-mill anime, and they're doing a pretty decent job of it. That's impressive.

Dense, non-linear narratives aren't for everyone, though.

JulianImp

It manages to balance all this threads, but yeah, it gets harder to watch with a whole week in between each episode because you might forget who was doing what among the plethora of parallel plot threads.

I commend the show on how it manages to juggle so many different characters that all look and act different from each other, and also thrust them into situations where they interact with each other in interesting and meaningful ways. The show not focusing hard on one of the plot threads makes it a bit more dense to watch, but there's still lots of payoff and character development to be found in it.

School-Live 09

Pretty relaxed episode overall. At the end though,
I guess Meguu-ne got out of the room she was in uh. I feel like I can already see where things are gonna go next week with Yuki.

Squalor

It manages to balance all this threads, but yeah, it gets harder to watch with a whole week in between each episode because you might forget who was doing what among the plethora of parallel plot threads.

I commend the show on how it manages to juggle so many different characters that all look and act different from each other, and also thrust them into situations where they interact with each other in interesting and meaningful ways. The show not focusing hard on one of the plot threads makes it a bit more dense to watch, but there's still lots of payoff and character development to be found in it.
Character-driven shows are my favorite. This is definitely that. That's why my favorite anime are what they are (and why I like so few anime every season).

I don't consider that a failing. I don't expect to see every character every week or even every other week. Not every aspects needs or deserves the same narrative weight.

They've structured x2 more like a short story collection, than some typical run-of-the-mill anime, and they're doing a pretty decent job of it. That's impressive.

Dense, non-linear narratives aren't for everyone, though.

There's nothing particularly dense (or even much non-linearity) about Durr. It's just a terribly paced and overly bloated show with poor structure. I wish it were more like the series of short stories you are selling it as.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Overload is so far my favorite anime of the year. Doubted that the circonstance the protagonist fell into in since the beginning we're anything to be excited about but I was proved wrong, multiple times. It's both funny and badass.

Gbraga

I'm not that hooked by School Live currently, but the OP is so good that it's worth watching just for that. I really hate Yuki though, let her die.

jonjonaug

I'm not that hooked by School Live currently, but the OP is so good that it's worth watching just for that. I really hate Yuki though, let her die.

Read the manga. The anime takes out quite a bit of character development and drama in favor of fanservice filler and chasing a dog around. It's bad enough as of the most recent episode that I'd call the original work "a zombie survival manga with slice of life elements", but the anime is "a slice of life anime with zombie survival elements".

JulianImp

Character-driven shows are my favorite. This is definitely that. That's why my favorite anime are what they are (and why I like so few anime every season).

Same here. I'm always in for character-driven storytelling (which is the main reason why I like Monogatari so much), but I can also enjoy other stuff such as SoL and shounens, only in smaller quantities. Stuff such as FMA:B that do both things well are especially nice for me, and shows that deconstruct their own genres and then do interesting things with it are also something I like (such as Eva or Madoka... and I guess Monogatari might count for harem series?).

Squalor

There's nothing particularly dense (or even much non-linearity) about Durr. It's just a terribly paced and overly bloated show with poor structure. I wish it were more like the series of short stories you are selling it as.
Except it is dense with narrative and character development, and it manages conflict and tension well. Don't know how many thematic short story collections (like Dubliners, Go Down, Moses, and Winesburg, Ohio wherein the stories are linked by characters and arcs) you've read, but that's pretty much how this has been playing out except in anime form. Of course, it's an anime, so it's not nearly as successful as literature, but it has been pursuing that, nonetheless, and I give it credit for mostly realizing its vision.

Whether you like it is another issue that I'm not going to debate because that's simply your feelings, which don't matter in an analytical sense.

Syrinx

Aikatsu - 148

Almost 3 year to build up this moment.

GOAT

When I ranted about Shion last week, I was planning on doing so no matter what. The preview just made it easy to justify. Though I was pretty sure she'd finally get her chance here, but as long as there was uncertainty I could still do it. But I mostly just find it funny that the thing I most wanted happened two episodes after I caught up. Either way, it was a glorious moment.

Then the DreAca girls showed up for no reason.

Gbraga

Read the manga. The anime takes out quite a bit of character development and drama in favor of fanservice filler and chasing a dog around. It's bad enough as of the most recent episode that I'd call the original work "a zombie survival manga with slice of life elements", but the anime is "a slice of life anime with zombie survival elements".

Interesting. That definitely sounds more appealing to me. I love slice of life, but School Live isn't a very good one. The twist in the first episode was great, but part of why it was great is that the slice of life part was just terribly boring. If the twist didn't come in episode 1, I would never watch 2 and never have any idea of what it's actually about. So it's definitely a let down when they focus on dumb crap.

Chaos Dragon Episode 10
CN_OzTQWcAAvN-m.png

#TeamLou. Anyway Eykha needs to stop, doesnt she realize the pain Ibuki has already felt, he doesnt need more people sacrificing themselves for him. Theres other ways to strike back at imouto.

Eureka 7 ep. 1-2
Damn... OK, this is pretty friggen' good. Lots of action, adventure and sci-fi goodness. Looks like we have a clearly defined relationship right from the begining, but I'm sure that is going to change from all teh images I've already seen. Still pretty interesting stuff and the use of music is really good too.

Fair warning, depending on your tolerance for teen angst, you may really dislike the start of Eureka Seven.

I'll be honest, while I think the show doesn't go overboard, the early episodes of Eureka Seven felt a bit boring to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom