• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Restaurant to Another World 4

giphy.gif

HOLY SHIT ARE THOSE RABBITS OKAY!?

Narag

Action Heroine Cheer Fruits 5

Must suck to not be good enough to be an idol when cultural osmosis has taught me apparently anyone can be an idol judging by the waifus people pick.

jbug617

Banned
Aoyama-kun 7

You know what I don't understand what the meaning of that episode.
Does Aoyama have a crush on her because he doesn't mind her touching him?

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 68

You mean idols have to study math and English like normal people? What kind of hell have I stepped into? Lily as a teacher, fine. Ako, sure why not. She is established as being pretty smart. Yuzu? Come on, who couldn't have seen her not doing anything useful coming? So Kirara is a Nintendo fan. Would've pegged her more on Sony's side honestly. Next episode... Akari! I knew the crossover was coming, but she still managed to give me a shock in the preview.

Cornbread78

Blue Gender ep.13-14

Marlene, you are freakin' crazy, but you gotta love it. I hope she gets to watch that military "re-education" general die at some point. Either way, these two crazy kids are back together and I'm very interested to see where they take the story from here.

mankoto

Girls Und Panzer 11

giphy.gif

And so the final boss arrives.

Girls Und Panzer 12 - END

hzHp6yX.jpg

Yeah this sums up my feelings pretty much perfectly.

It was a little hard for me to buy into it at first, but once I did, it became a really fun show to watch with the battle with Katyusha's team being an absolute highlight. I would've loved to see more of the side characters though. The anime moved from plot point to plot point rather quickly and never really gave any time to let things sink in.

Narag

Now you have the specials, the Anzio OVA, and the movie to look forward to. One of the special eps has Erwin and Yukari bonding during the fight with Katyusha and Caesar gets some screen time with the Anzio stuff.

mankoto

And after all of that, there are 6 more films in the works. This is a lot more tanks than I bargained for. I'll certainly take it though.

Princess Principal - 05 & 06
Chise's debut was great swashbuckling fun and great to finall see a change in the structure. Her counterpoint with Ange's Black Lizard schtick was too good as well.

Dorothy's one was a little dubious in quality. I think Control's justification for her to infiltrate the morgue is either a contrived coincidence, or that the best way to control someone motivated by big money is to involve a loved one.

As for the ending, it's clear that they were going for tragic irony as they were singing the guy's song, but it didn't seem to fit enough with the context.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
This is the long overdue conclusion to a complex structure put into place years ago. I'm not entirely sure that this counts as payoff though with the aim of the main antagonist being perfunctory conflict, and her origin feeling like needless fabrication. The tangled web that was woven here is stretched wide to catch as much of the cast that it can. For many viewers that will be reward enough, but these "final" meetings feel fairly hollow under such meager pretenses, and are further soured by the needlessly ominous tone. I can't even say that there is much internal emotion to bounce around here. Most of the scenes feel like callbacks that bounce around familiar ideas for the characters while inserting long-winded explanations for the current situation.

Stuff like Araragi dying and coming back from hell seem to conceptually bounce off the characters themselves as though nothing matters......and I'm not sure why it matters either. Or why that is supposed to be a factor in how everything is set up. Most of these characters already had conclusive story arcs that felt more personal. The fate of someone like Shinobou already seemed like a given, but the story here pushes her to a crossroads and unceremoniously stumbles down the logical path. These happy(?) endings for characters just pile up on one another for this special and the whole thing feels sickeningly saccharine. Everything here is completely transparent with how badly the material just wants to please the audience, and it rubs me the wrong way.

duckroll

http://vanishing-line.jp/

This October. On TV Tokyo. From MAPPA, the visionary studio behind GARO. Comes the directorial debut of the star action animator to brought us GARO DIVINE FLAME. An original action anime. Written by someone who worked on Last Exile 2. Character designs by the creator of Afro Samurai. And music from MONACA.

BluWacky

http://vanishing-line.jp/

This October. On TV Tokyo. From MAPPA, the visionary studio behind GARO. Comes the directorial debut of the star action animator to brought us GARO DIVINE FLAME. An original action anime. Written by someone who worked on Last Exile 2. Character designs by the creator of Afro Samurai. And music from MONACA.

Is it 2005 again, and have GONZO resurrected themselves from the dead to bring us this?

However, how can it possibly go wrong when its main character is called Sword and he has a sword? It can't. Simply can't.

Quasar

Owarimonogatari 2.03 - Not what I was expecting, on many fronts. Really enjoyed it though. Plenty of wordplay, right to the end.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Man, I wish someone had picked up the Milky Holmes movie for western release. From everything I've heard it sounds like a return to form, after the garbage that was Futari Wa and meh that was Tantei Kageki.

Posted this in the wrong thread, let's try again:

Owarimonogatari S2 - 01

I love Monogatari, but I legit feel like I only remember a couple of things here and there in detail about the series. Even then, I do enjoy watching every episode of this franchise and I always do my best to watch the stuff as soon as I can get access to it. Not sure whether there is another series that would be able to do the same. I mean Bakemonogatari aired in like what, 2009? My memories of all the seasons of this show have tons of information gaps, but it's okay. I still manage to enjoy myself and the crazy ride that is Monogatari in general.

Lain

I'm dying without my Symphogear fix. This world is so cruel.

Aho Girl 2

His little sister being on the same level as the main idiot is quite something.

Cornbread78

Darker than Black ep13-14
It only took 13 episodes, but they finally started to give some information on who/what Yin is. They say she is a "doll" but what does that mean exactly?

Either way, her backstory is certainly tragic and heartbreaking, but I hope they use her more as part of the team going forward..

Owarimonogatari 2nd Season

This is the long overdue conclusion to a complex structure put into place years ago. I'm not entirely sure that this counts as payoff though with the aim of the main antagonist being perfunctory conflict, and her origin feeling like needless fabrication. The tangled web that was woven here is stretched wide to catch as much of the cast that it can. For many viewers that will be reward enough, but these "final" meetings feel fairly hollow under such meager pretenses, and are further soured by the needlessly ominous tone. I can't even say that there is much internal emotion to bounce around here. Most of the scenes feel like callbacks that bounce around familiar ideas for the characters while inserting long-winded explanations for the current situation.

Stuff like Araragi dying and coming back from hell seem to conceptually bounce off the characters themselves as though nothing matters......and I'm not sure why it matters either. Or why that is supposed to be a factor in how everything is set up. Most of these characters already had conclusive story arcs that felt more personal. The fate of someone like Shinobou already seemed like a given, but the story here pushes her to a crossroads and unceremoniously stumbles down the logical path. These happy(?) endings for characters just pile up on one another for this special and the whole thing feels sickeningly saccharine. Everything here is completely transparent with how badly the material just wants to please the audience, and it rubs me the wrong way.

I find it increasingly difficult to empathize with any of the characters. Didn't feel anything during Koyomi's emotional climax here. When the characters had to deal with their oddities once or twice and found some decent resolution I could relate to them easier. Now it's gotten fairly convoluted with everyone making major reappearances because they apparently just have to continue being part of this universe. And all these characters' idiosyncrasies are still very fun to see and I enjoy most of the dialogues. But they certainly feel less like actual people, which is just about always bad.

Interestingly, Kizu Part1 had me enjoying Koyomi more in that regard. Makes sense with it being chronologically at the beginning, of course. His first encounter with Shinobi and his struggle to escape her vampiric allure and cry for help was great.

Can't quite recall it but I think Hanamonogatari also got me a bit emotional and that story was more isolated towards Kanbaru.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I think the most disappointing thing about this season of New Game!! (and there are very few disappointing things about it) is that the game they are making isn't a real one. That stealth kigurumi action gameplay looks super fun.

Started watching Sakura Quest on my sister's recommendation last night. Really enjoying the little I've seen of it so far; the tone and style are giving me Shirobako vibes which is only a good thing.

But that means you can have faith in her because she isn't a lost cause yet.

I'd argue that if you're having the same results by trying hard as someone who isn't trying at all, you're worse.

BluWacky

Darker than Black ep13-14

It only took 13 episodes, but they finally started to give some information on who/what Yin is. They say she is a "doll" but what does that mean exactly?

Weren't Dolls explained back in episode 2? Perhaps you want more explanation than that...

Only a couple of days ago I discovered there was a very limited BD release of the first season in the USA; I would have bought that if I'd known, but alas it's now gone to scalpers and costs £500 or so. Is it on any of the streaming services?

On the plus side, I have also discovered that Kaiba's getting a Bluray release after all these years, AND I'd forgotten about the Dennoh Coil disc release! All that and the Utena Bluray set (although I'm almost reluctant to replace the beautiful DVDs!) means I will actually spend some money on something other than streaming services soon!

jman2050

Yeah, wasn't a fan of the humor in this show but liked the atmosphere and tone in general.

I think the show works as well as it does because it's essentially four different shows at once. Each sister is the star of their own school comedy with their own distinct set of characters and then there's the three sisters interacting with each other (and potentially everyone else) at home. So it never really feels like it drags or gets old.

blurr

Worst season was Okawari. The rest were alright and managable.

didn't bother after the first season

I think the show works as well as it does because it's essentially four different shows at once. Each sister is the star of their own school comedy with their own distinct set of characters and then there's the three sisters interacting with each other (and potentially everyone else) at home. So it never really feels like it drags or gets old.

that's fine if the jokes didn't get perverted at times (or maybe most of the time since it's been a while since I saw it), I can't really find it funny taking into account their age

Cornbread78

that's fine if the jokes didn't get perverted at times (or maybe most of the time since it's been a while since I saw it), I can't really find it funny taking into account their age

Oh? Through 3 eps the only thing of question was the "naughty things" ongoing gag, which was/is innocent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom