• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Ok, I have something that has been bugging me. Why is it that anime created by Shaft tend to have very empty/dead worlds? I get that it's their style, but it just comes off as lazy and not fitting to certain series.

Animation CG for crowds is expensive ya know.

Sakura Quest 16

DHS_rcAXgAA5g0L

Guess the real quest begins now.

It's really good! Watched 16 episodes in 2 days. Shame on everybody who dropped it :p

Dadasch

Hi there!
I'm pretty new to anime. Of course I watched animes like DBZ, One Piece and Kickers (apparently Ganbare, Kickers in USA) but that was primarily in my childhood watching TV. After that I pretty much only saw Parasyte and One-Punch Man but since a month or so I'm pretty into it.
Erased was superb! Right now I'm enjoying Steins;Gate a lot and My Hero Academia is a good replacement for animes like DBZ.

Does somebody have good suggestions? Please consider this: I don't like Fanservice, at all. So please no animes with obedient, lightly dressed female characters.
One can argue that my examples also have these kind of characters - admittedly yes - but it's at least not that bad.

btw. I don't try to judge anyone. Don't get me wrong. :D

Hi there!
I'm pretty new to anime. Of course I watched animes like DBZ, One Piece and Kickers (apparently Ganbare, Kickers in USA) but that was primarily in my childhood watching TV. After that I pretty much only saw Parasyte and One-Punch Man but since a month or so I'm pretty into it.
Erased was superb! Right now I'm enjoying Steins;Gate a lot and My Hero Academia is a good replacement for animes like DBZ.

Does somebody have good suggestions? Please consider this: I don't like Fanservice, at all. So please no animes with obedient, lightly dressed female characters.
One can argue that my examples also have these kind of characters - admittedly yes - but it's at least not that bad.

I would suggest

Glasslip
Tsuritama
Guilty Crown
World Trigger
God Eater

Also Robotics;Notes if you liked Steins;Gate. R;N is the best offering from that company.

Tuck

Hi there!

If you liked OPM, you'll like Mob Psycho 100.

Full metal Alchemist Brotherhood is a much watch too.

Hi there!

My recommendations.

Funnily enough, a cinemasins bash thread was posted in the OT after I bitched here and they introducted me to whole "Everything great about..." concept and I hate youtube even more now.

Honest question, what's wrong with a video that would detail why something is good?

phaze

You say that as if CG isn't animation.

kjan81y83jlp.png

Hi there!

Turin's list is a pretty comprehensive one so I'll peddle here just a few of my usual recs that should be pretty to get into, namely FLCL, Mononoke, Mouryou no Hako. 1st is a crazy over the top comedy with superb production values, 2nd a series of self contained 2-3 episode long episode "monster" case stories with main hero (think Witcher I guess ?) trying to resolve them. Mouryo is an occult crime mystery, rough in some spots but pretty unique as far as anime goes.

Dadasch

Turin's list is a pretty comprehensive one so I'll peddle here just a few of my usual recs that should be pretty to get into, namely FLCL, Mononoke, Mouryou no Hako. 1st is a crazy over the top comedy with superb production values, 2nd a series of self contained 2-3 episode long episode "monster" case stories with main hero (think Witcher I guess ?) trying to resolve them. Mouryo is an occult crime mystery, rough in some spots but pretty unique as far as anime goes.
Mononoke sounds great. Watched a trailer...that looks sick, like Killer7-sick, kinda disturbing. I'll try it out though.
Thanks!

Oh, I actually wanted to start with his recommendations because that huge list by Turin probably includes a lot of animes with a fair bit of Fanservice.

Most of the stuff on Turins list (that I've watched at least) don't have a lot of fanservice.

Might want to avoid Monogatari though ;p

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Today is Satania's birthday!

UGc5O3y.gif

Happy Birthday Satania-san! Best character of Gabriel Dropout for sure.

Speaking of best characters, New Game!! 06 brings the N E N E

This episode, huh. On the one hand, I feel like Aoba got screwed over with the marketing decision to blank her out. On the other, her final key visual wasn't actually very good. It looked cute, but it wasn't very distinctive and it didn't really indicate what the player would be doing; both things covered off by Ko's picture. That one I think I'd have as a poster or something.

Still, I know that feeling of trying your hardest on a piece of art and then finishing it and someone else showing you something they did that just up and shits all over your crappy effort. That's why I gave up on drawing and art and spend all my time consuming nowadays instead of creating. Giving up is the best.

Dadasch

After watching the first 2 episodes it's exactly what I thought it would be. So good, the last time I experienced something like this was during my playthrough of Killer7.
Very unique, scary and disturbing. The secret kept by the mistress was fairly obvious, but execution was really great. Good shit.
Thanks again for your recommendation.

Cornbread78

Hi there!

My man!!!!

Here's my "safe recs off the top of my head:

Full Metal Alchemist
Mob Psycho
Barakamon
Clannad/Clannad After Story
Your Lie in April
Blast of Tempest (has some "fanservice" but nothing pervy)
Fate/Zero
Poco's Udon World
Cross Game
Angel Beats
Beck
Death Parade
Dennou Coil

Smartphone Isekai 6

"Oh touya? WOULD YOU MIND GIVING MY DAUGHTER A GOOD DICKIN' ALONGSIDE MY NIECE, AT THE SAME TIME?!"

jesus fucking christ this show lmao. Let's ignore that they also just gifted him a mansion with every service person necessary and he is now living with all of the girls who are moist for him.

This is so bad it's good.

Tsurezure Children, Episode 7 -

Minagawa is probably my favorite girl in this series. Her trolling game is on point. Pretty laid back week this time around. Minagawa screwing around with her boyfriends little sister was pretty hilarious. JoJo-Senpai is still chewing the scenery. Takano's revelation that she's falling in love with her friend was pretty sweet.

Aho-Girl, Episode 7 -

Fucking Yoshiko man. I feel like I get dumber by the minute watching this series, but I'm still enjoying it lol.

trejo

After watching the first 2 episodes it's exactly what I thought it would be. So good, the last time I experienced something like this was during my playthrough of Killer7.
Very unique, scary and disturbing. The secret kept by the mistress was fairly obvious, but execution was really great. Good shit.
Thanks again for your recommendation.

Mononoke and Killer7 in the same sentence. I see you are a person of good taste. Don't forget to check out the Bake Neko arc from Ayakashi: Japanese Horror Stories, which is where Mononoke spun off off.

More good recommended anime off the top of my head to get you started:

Serial Experiments Lain
Haibane Renmei
Planetes
Oh! Edo Rocket
Serirei no Moribito Guardian of the Spirit
From the New World
Mob Psycho 100
Bunny Drop
Daily Lives of High School Boys

duckroll

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 14
This

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 15
is

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 16
good!

Hi there!

Oh, very nice. Quite a few good anime you watched there. I really dug Erased too. As for anime suggestion.

My man!!!!

Here's my "safe recs off the top of my head:

Full Metal Alchemist
Mob Psycho
Barakamon
Clannad/Clannad After Story
Your Lie in April
Blast of Tempest
(has some "fanservice" but nothing pervy)
Fate/Zero
Poco's Udon World
Cross Game
Angel Beats
Beck
Death Parade
Dennou Coil

My man here has got you covered. ;)

Bolded the ones I can personally recommend. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom