• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Oh, I actually wanted to start with his recommendations because that huge list by Turin probably includes a lot of animes with a fair bit of Fanservice.

Lol, I'm at the same episode right now.

Tsuritama is great,as for others... not something i would recommend. Glass slip is painfully boring. Guilty crown might qualify as so bad its good. World trigger is decent plot wise, but the animation is lol worthy, might as well read the manga.

Turin list on the other hand, is something i would recommend to someone new to anime or want something good since most of his recommendation are cream of the crope

sonicmj1

Oh, I actually wanted to start with his recommendations because that huge list by Turin probably includes a lot of animes with a fair bit of Fanservice.

The only shows in Turin's first post with a fair bit of fanservice are Gurren Lagann and Golden Boy. It's pretty much all quality.

There's gonna be some overlap with that post, but some favorites that might work for you are:

Ping Pong - Excellent exploration of the psychology of competition, and what drives different people to try to be the best. Incredibly satisfying character arcs.
Flowers of Evil - Puberty in all its ugliness. A boy wracked by guilt tries to make sense of who he is and who he is becoming, dragged into darkness by a broken girl. Unbelievably thick atmosphere, a constant sense of dread, and incredible catharsis.
Mushishi - A wanderer encounters and deals with the strange problems that occur when natural spirits entangle themselves in the world of man. Meditative, beautiful, episodic.
Mob Psycho 100 - A young boy holds incredible psychic powers, but just wants to be normal and improve himself. Based on a manga by the creator of One Punch Man, it preserves shonen values without glossing over the real difficulties of growing up. Amazing animation and a fantastic ensemble cast.
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - Exploring the story of a rising rakugo master after World War II, and his impulsive, brilliant friend and rival. Very well directed, subtly moving between tones, drawing you in.
From the New World - In the distant future, four children grow up in a rural society of powerful psychics, gradually uncovering secrets that cut to the very foundation of the world they know. Somewhat uneven, but very well-plotted, with a devastating conclusion that makes the show grow in my memory every day.

Tuck

Tsuritama - 1
For some reason, I decided to take one of DTL's suggestions.

This was weird as hell. But, in a good way? The blond kid is annoying as fuck and the orange hair kid takes awkwardness to a new level, but it was still pretty charming. A show about fishing (and apparently, saving the world... through fishing...?) could be fun.

Narag

Tsuritama - 1

This was weird as hell. But, in a good way? The blond kid is annoying as fuck and the orange hair kid takes awkwardness to a new level, but it was still pretty charming. A show about fishing (and apparently, saving the world... through fishing...?) could be fun.

It's a very good show.

DNAbro

Tsuritama - 1

it's very entertaining.

Narag

Kirakira☆Precure A La Mode 10

more like episode 10/10. usually i get a little distracted watching these shows but attention was all on this ep

trejo

Tsuritama - 1

It is fun.

Narag

Sekai no Yami Zukan 3

man eating car was a good idea but concept felt underdone. maybe due to the lack of energy from the narrator

Kickz

Hi there!
I'm pretty new to anime. Of course I watched animes like DBZ, One Piece and Kickers (apparently Ganbare, Kickers in USA) but that was primarily in my childhood watching TV. After that I pretty much only saw Parasyte and One-Punch Man but since a month or so I'm pretty into it.
Erased was superb! Right now I'm enjoying Steins;Gate a lot and My Hero Academia is a good replacement for animes like DBZ.

Does somebody have good suggestions? Please consider this: I don't like Fanservice, at all. So please no animes with obedient, lightly dressed female characters.
One can argue that my examples also have these kind of characters - admittedly yes - but it's at least not that bad.

btw. I don't try to judge anyone. Don't get me wrong. :D

Hunter x Hunter 2011
Kokoro Connect
Code Geass
Honey and Clover
Nana
Beck
Space Brothers
School Rumble
High School of the Dead
Btooooom!!
Naruto; until Chuunin Exam ends
Baka Test
Cross Game
AnoHana
Please Teacher
Please Twins
Full Metal Panic Fummoffu

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Jexhnolyze 19

Am I getting tomato'd?

duckroll

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 17 aka Sword of the Revolutionary Girl Amanda
So

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 18 aka Tengen Toppa Constanze 3: The Wild Hunt
Good.

I would say most don't have fanservice. In fact it will be faster for me to make a list with the ones with fanservice than the other way around:

-Golden Boy
-Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
-Code Geass
-Bakemonogatari
-Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
-Space Dandy
-And some skimpy clothes/gainax bounce in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan

blurr

New Game S2 05

A bit conflicted over its moe design and humor paired with its serious way of handling game development/creation and work related themes but I'll take it. Whether it's serious or funny, it genuinely works.

Sakura Quest 16

Guess the real quest begins now.

It's really good! Watched 16 episodes in 2 days. Shame on everybody who dropped it :p

so much free time wow

Yeah I didn't really get the disappointment for it either.

From what I've seen, I couldn't relate to Koharu's enthusiasm for her role. There were definitely themes it tackles that interest me but it largely felt lackluster. The episode I stopped watching (I think 6th) was particularly bad in the way it was written and folded out. I wasn't gonna drop it if it didn't leave a poor impression. For now, I'm not keen on picking it back unless I've little to watch.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have embraced Jexhnolyzation as the future of humanity.

Dadasch

My man!!!!

Here's my "safe recs off the top of my head:

Full Metal Alchemist
Mob Psycho
Barakamon
Clannad/Clannad After Story
Your Lie in April
Blast of Tempest (has some "fanservice" but nothing pervy)
Fate/Zero
Poco's Udon World
Cross Game
Angel Beats
Beck
Death Parade
Dennou Coil
Yeah, Erased was really great. Thanks!
Read about Your Lie in April a couple of days in ago (in OT), will probably try that out after Mononoke.
Mononoke and Killer7 in the same sentence. I see you are a person of good taste. Don't forget to check out the Bake Neko arc from Ayakashi: Japanese Horror Stories, which is where Mononoke spun off off.

More good recommended anime off the top of my head to get you started:

Serial Experiments Lain
Haibane Renmei
Planetes
Oh! Edo Rocket
Serirei no Moribito Guardian of the Spirit
From the New World
Mob Psycho 100
Bunny Drop
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Oh, very nice. Quite a few good anime you watched there. I really dug Erased too. As for anime suggestion.

My man here has got you covered. ;)

Bolded the ones I can personally recommend. :D
The only shows in Turin's first post with a fair bit of fanservice are Gurren Lagann and Golden Boy. It's pretty much all quality.

There's gonna be some overlap with that post, but some favorites that might work for you are:

Ping Pong - Excellent exploration of the psychology of competition, and what drives different people to try to be the best. Incredibly satisfying character arcs.
Flowers of Evil - Puberty in all its ugliness. A boy wracked by guilt tries to make sense of who he is and who he is becoming, dragged into darkness by a broken girl. Unbelievably thick atmosphere, a constant sense of dread, and incredible catharsis.
Mushishi - A wanderer encounters and deals with the strange problems that occur when natural spirits entangle themselves in the world of man. Meditative, beautiful, episodic.
Mob Psycho 100 - A young boy holds incredible psychic powers, but just wants to be normal and improve himself. Based on a manga by the creator of One Punch Man, it preserves shonen values without glossing over the real difficulties of growing up. Amazing animation and a fantastic ensemble cast.
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - Exploring the story of a rising rakugo master after World War II, and his impulsive, brilliant friend and rival. Very well directed, subtly moving between tones, drawing you in.
From the New World - In the distant future, four children grow up in a rural society of powerful psychics, gradually uncovering secrets that cut to the very foundation of the world they know. Somewhat uneven, but very well-plotted, with a devastating conclusion that makes the show grow in my memory every day.
Hunter x Hunter 2011
Kokoro Connect
Code Geass
Honey and Clover
Nana
Beck
Space Brothers
School Rumble
High School of the Dead
Btooooom!!
Naruto; until Chuunin Exam ends
Baka Test
Cross Game
AnoHana
Please Teacher
Please Twins
Full Metal Panic Fummoffu
I would say most don't have fanservice. In fact it will be faster for me to make a list with the ones with fanservice than the other way around:

-Golden Boy
-Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
-Code Geass
-Bakemonogatari
-Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
-Space Dandy
-And some skimpy clothes/gainax bounce in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan
Thanks once again! These recommendations will probably suffice for a couple of years. :D

moogs

Neo Member
New Game!! 06

Aoba's illustration looked good, but it wasn't engaging. The scene she portrayed was just too mundane. Meanwhile, Yagami's illustration thrusts its concept forward by presenting an isolated struggle, and it delivers that information promptly. It had plenty of character as well. Also, while Aoba was prematurely showcasing story elements, Yagami engendered curiosity. Ultimately, Aoba's illustration left the impression of fan art with weak rhetoric. Her visual was framed in appreciation, which hasn't been formed in its audience yet.

Jarmel

Banned
Sword of the Stranger-Rewatch
I haven't seen this in a few years and decided to give it another whirl. Yep, still a great movie. This was a movie that played to BONES strength by having a simple plot focused on action. Really straight forward but executed perfectly.
One of the things that struck me visually about the movie wasn't even the action animation and choreography but the background art. Something I'm curious about is how production timelines differ between TV productions and movie productions from a background side. I noticed with Garo: Divine Flame that the biggest boost in visuals for films comes not in the character animation area but the background art. I might have to dig somewhere and find out if the process for the background teams are different for movies (I probably won't).
One thing I was a bit disappointed in is the composition work as some shots with the character art didn't mesh well with the painted backgrounds and so stood out a little. I guess that's one of those areas where productions have gotten better in the past few years so it sticks out a bit more. That's something I'm noticing more as I go back to earlier shows in the 00's. Compounding on that was that the character models are a bit rough occasionally. Duckroll is probably going to kill me for this but the movie at times doesn't feel particularly polished on the character animation front. Yea I know how insane that sounds for a movie well-regarded for its character animation. This isn't an issue during the combat scenes but rather some of the smaller or transitional moments so it's not a big deal. It however happens enough that it started to bug me a little.
On the animation side, I was really really impressed with the fire effects. It's animated in this stylized traditional way but really fits in due to the time period. As for the music, Naoki Sato is a god with themes. The music might be my favorite thing about the movie. Just the way that the music blares during Nanashi's introduction is heavenly. He really needs to work on more shows. His work on the new E7 movie is fantastic too.
Tobimaru best bro.

JulianImp

Owarimonogatari part 2
Shaft saved this season. Now to go back to watching older shows again...

Hi there!
I'm pretty new to anime. Of course I watched animes like DBZ, One Piece and Kickers (apparently Ganbare, Kickers in USA) but that was primarily in my childhood watching TV. After that I pretty much only saw Parasyte and One-Punch Man but since a month or so I'm pretty into it.
Erased was superb! Right now I'm enjoying Steins;Gate a lot and My Hero Academia is a good replacement for animes like DBZ.

Does somebody have good suggestions? Please consider this: I don't like Fanservice, at all. So please no animes with obedient, lightly dressed female characters.
One can argue that my examples also have these kind of characters - admittedly yes - but it's at least not that bad.

btw. I don't try to judge anyone. Don't get me wrong. :D

If it's action you want, you could probably watch:
- Sword of the Stranger (movie)
- Mob Psycho 100
- Fullmetall Alchemist (both the original and Brotherhood)
- Baccano
- Cowboy Bebop
- Samurai Champloo
- Black Lagoon
- Ghost in the Shell (movie)
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (series)
- Fate/Zero
- Psycho Pass (season 1 is great, but the 2nd has had a mixed reception)
- Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront)
- Gatchaman Crowds
- Seirei no Moribito

Cornbread78

- Ghost in the Shell (movie)

Hey, he said no "fanservice," lol.

I watched the dvd on my laptop on the Acella Express on the way into NYC. Needless to say, it wasn't "train safe" a couple mins in, lol.

It's really good and it's not really pervy, but yeah, that director loves boobs!

Tsuritama - 1

Awesome, glad youre enjoying it.

Once again my certified fresh suggestions have not let someone down.

No Game No Life 01 - 06

Watching on my friends recommendations. Dig the world, can't say im all in on the otaku power trip main characters. Not a fan of know it all leads, they are uninteresting imo. Also the fanservice needs to chill out. Particularly with the 11 year old.

Also the color scheme is a bit hard on the eyes. Might finish it because I do enjoy some of the nonsense jokes and references.

New Game!! 06

I sorta liked how part of this episode was Nene's joy and nervousness at finishing her own video gamesand Aoba and their friend getting to play it and Aoba's crushing disappointment at being passed up for making the key art. That said Yagami's key art was waaaaay better and more appealing than Aoba's was. Gotta say the game they're making is also really fucking adorable, holy shit I'd play it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 20:

Naruto and Sasuke really should be in prison for being such derelict fathers.

From what I've seen, I couldn't relate to Koharu's enthusiasm for her role. There were definitely themes it tackles that interest me but it largely felt lackluster. The episode I stopped watching (I think 6th) was particularly bad in the way it was written and folded out. I wasn't gonna drop it if it didn't leave a poor impression. For now, I'm not keen on picking it back unless I've little to watch.

I'd seen people post impressions when they decided to bow out, dunno if I saw yours. What I really meant was I just didn't agree with the impressions that said it was badly written. What I've really enjoyed about the show is how it tackles failure pretty regularly, and feels more honest than other series I've seen when it comes to one trying to succeed in life.

I don't particularly identify with Koharu either, when it comes to her bubbly personality and willingness to accept this role, but the show really divides itself amongst all five girls, giving a greater range to find characters to click with.

No Game No Life 01 - 06

Watching on my friends recommendations. Dig the world, can't say im all in on the otaku power trip main characters. Not a fan of know it all leads, they are uninteresting imo. Also the fanservice needs to chill out. Particularly with the 11 year old.

Also the color scheme is a bit hard on the eyes. Might finish it because I do enjoy some of the nonsense jokes and references.

You're in for a bad time then. :p

Funimation still doesn't have the LE version of Your Name on their site yet. Goddamnit Funimation, I need to order this!

They haven't uploaded any of their November releases yet. They'll probably do so in the next few weeks.

You're in for a bad time then. :p

They haven't uploaded any of their November releases yet. They'll probably do so in the next few weeks.

Yet at Otakon they specifically said it would be up for pre-order on August 15th. Unless I misheard them? I know the insane Speed Racer collector's edition is up for pre-order as well.

Yet at Otakon they specifically said it would be up for pre-order on August 15th. Unless I misheard them? I know the insane Speed Racer collector's edition is up for pre-order as well.

Speed Racer was a part of their October releases. Funimation (and Sentai) tends to upload their new releases on a month to month basis.

Though I wasn't at Otakon so I'm not sure what they said, I'm only guessing based on their past trends.

duckroll

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 19
Not bad.

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 20
Good.

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 21
Bad.

e_i

In Another World With My Smartphone episode 6

Oh look, a random
dragon
that was inserted into the episode for absolutely no reason.

Cornbread78

In Another World With My Smartphone episode 6
Oh look, a random
dragon
that was inserted into the episode for absolutely no reason.

The MC got to belittle the dragon and boost his rep with the kingdom and especially all the ladies.

Line_HTX

Speed Racer was a part of their October releases. Funimation (and Sentai) tends to upload their new releases on a month to month basis.

Though I wasn't at Otakon so I'm not sure what they said, I'm only guessing based on their past trends.

I thought they said it would go up yesterday. They were kind of hyping up yesterday to go live on their site.

Cornbread78

Darker than Black ep.15-16
Another new character added into the mix and this one digs into Lee's background a little bit. I wonder how they will integrate her into the plot going forward because she is really OP for a contractor..

After watching some One Piece anime I have to say the Openings are always the best part lol.

Till this day I still believe the best One Piece Opening is either Fight Together or One Day because of how emotional
Ace's death was.

Although We Are is still goddamn amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom