• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

That's fine. In this kind of scenario, the atmosphere of the setting and secondarily the personality of the characters matter more to me than the complexity of the plot, and those are what Made in Abyss' first episode delivered on and what I am interested in seeing more of.

I am hoping that The Alliance Alive will deliver a better game to go along with Hamauzu's incredible music. I'm always skeptical of FuRyu, but initial Japanese impressions of The Alliance Alive seem to be better at least.

Yes, I can understand the atmosphere and the character personalities being an appeal which is good(particularly the cosy and huddled feeling within the orphanage and hostile and mysterious initial levels of the abyss), I'm just expecting more out of it.

Kyuur

Besides the Etrian Odyssey vibe, I also got a little bit of Cave Story from the amnesiac robot boy in Made in Abyss. Both concepts I love!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Action Heroine Cheer Fruits - 1

34N8QGQ.png

No, this isn't a Love Live x Cinderella Girls special starring Kotori and Mio

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "My goodness. That has to be the best title for a show this season".

That's all I have to say.

zulux21

hyouka 1-5

after the fairly boring first episode this has turned into a decent mystery show.
it's also decently pretty, but that was to be expected from kyoto animation lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Love and Lies Episode 2:

I want to like this but the underlying premise is still so ill defined that I actually ended up having a headache because of it. The big issue here is they have never defined a term of punishment for those who would reject the assigned marriage or even got a divorce. Outside of that the actual romance notes got hit pretty well.

zulux21

Maria Holic has one of the most trolololo endings ever.

--------------

Wow, condemning your butt to the mercy of pitchforks just like that, I hope you're ready !
just to be clear. am I getting condemned because you think the show is hideous and thus me finding it decently pretty is a sin.

or because you find the show beautiful and thus me finding it only decently pretty is a sin?

I am... legitimately not sure what is offensive about my statement lol.
and as the main character likes to say in the english sub. "I've got to know."

which reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOQn2UMDLV8 :p

LOL, only fairly boring huh? You gonna rile up the masses with that one...

eh, most of the masses know to ignore me like they ignore DTL (and you for the most part :p) :p

Aki-at

Sakura Quest - 14

Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

A nice episode that reflect on some of the characters' struggles or future goals, it's interesting to see where Yashino goes from here with her wanting a larger than life type of role.

Cornbread78

Sakura Quest - 14
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!
A nice episode that reflect on some of the characters' struggles or future goals, it's interesting to see where Yashino goes from here with her wanting a larger than life type of role.
qwmZhoZ.png

When did the show turn yuri? Very lewd....

phaze

just to be clear. am I getting condemned because you think the show is hideous and thus me finding it decently pretty is a sin.

or because you find the show beautiful and thus me finding it only decently pretty is a sin?

I am... legitimately not sure what is offensive about my statement lol.
and as the main character likes to say in the english sub. "I've got to know."

which reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOQn2UMDLV8 :p

eh, most of the masses know to ignore me like they ignore DTL (and you for the most part :p) :p

Well, it's regarded as one of most visually impressive TV works from what I understand so the latter. ;p

Diebuster 01

Honestly this was pretty fucking damn superb.

- The way the initial Lal'c narration plays with what's happening on screen, down the latter making a shining star out of a train light. On top of course of foreshadowing some future developments.
-The constant not so subtle hints as to Nono's physical strenghts.
-Expressive character art.
- The music, I was surprised to even hear a bit of the track used at the very end.
- I adore Nono's and Lal'C VA work. The former is the kind of voice and character that usually grates me but hers is so endearing and charming I can even endure the constant Onee-samas.
- And there's of course animation where both for comedy as well as action it shines. Though I was a bit surprised to see Dix-Neuf in full blown CG in few cuts. To think that even that we aren't free of that menace even in muh old school OVAs. Sad !

Truly the Ping-Pong of old times. Gainax might be a bunch of hopefully behind bars perverts that can't help but shove ass and tits in your face but still, they sure knew how animate an ... anime.

nobody is starting that ever

Oh trust me, it still happens.

But Cross Ange is at least entertaining for better or for worse......

Nothing in Cross Ange should be labeled as "entertaining".

It's a despicable piece of work with some of the most vile imagery ever produced and takes a huge shit all over the mecha genre by digging up Gundam SEED's corpse and having sex with it.

zulux21

Well, it's regarded as one of most visually impressive TV works from what I understand so the latter. ;p

to be fair, decently pretty, is decently high praise from me.

typically I don't care about visual stuff to much as long as it isn't artsy (aka ping pong/ mob psycho's styles were negatives for me not positive and I still won't bother watching princess kaguya because it looks hideous to me) I mean I get how people can enjoy styles like that but I personally hate them. or isn't just downright horribly animated like world trigger or whatever it was that was barely animated in the first episode.

not as much as I hate chibi though... a style such as mob psycho and ping pong can at least grow on me a bit... chibi just needs to die in a horrible fire.

My Hero Academia's new ED

wow its good

Princess Principal 01

It take a lot of willpower for me to not instantly close the video when it starts out with "uhh...theres an empire, and theres a war. also magic"

But I liked the character designs and the shows actually pretty alright. Ill keep going

phaze

I can't pinpoint why, but I'm surprised you liked it that much.

I don't know either considering I'm pretty sure I was the one recommending it to you back when you watched it. :p (This being a rewatch) This time I'm able to appreciate the technical expertise involved a bit better as well as grasping some more or less important story details. (Can't believe I didn't catch that the initial monologue wasn't Nono's on my first watch.)

Qurupeke

I don't know either considering I'm pretty sure I was the one recommending it to you back when you watched it. :p (This being a rewatch) This time I'm able to appreciate the technical expertise involved a bit better as well as grasping some more or less important story details. (Can't believe I didn't catch that the initial monologue wasn't Nono's on my first watch.)

Oh.... Ohhhhhhhhhh.

Cornbread78

It's a despicable piece of work with some of the most vile imagery ever produced and takes a huge shit all over the mecha genre by digging up Gundam SEED's corpse and having sex with it.

Forget needing to get laid, this man needs sone quality mecha and very badly..

zulux21

we have a new season of FMP coming out next year :3

it will likely be garbage but hey I can dream it will be okay.

What did you just say!

:p

hmmm
that the first episode was super boring, and caused me to drop the show years ago.
but now that I am past that it's actually a decent show so far. nothing amazing, but not bad either.

and visually it doesn't look bad. I've noticed some of the background look very nice, which is not something I typically notice, so I am sure people went gaga over the visuals in this one lol.

hmmm
that the first episode was super boring, and caused me to drop the show years ago.
but now that I am past that it's actually a decent show so far. nothing amazing, but not bad either.

and visually it doesn't look bad. I've noticed some of the background look very nice, which is not something I typically notice, so I am sure people went gaga over the visuals in this one lol.

I think it still looks great...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Centaur no Nayami was bad.

Good thing Made in Abyss and Astolfo are here to save the season from mediocrity.

Cornbread78

we have a new season of FMP coming out next year :3

it will likely be garbage but hey I can dream it will be okay.
hmmm

One day Nintendoman will watch Fafner Exodus #9&10, proceed to spam an entire page in uppercase with his unrestrained hype and I'll hold you responsible for it all.

Lol, one day...

zulux21

We're all gonna have to watch as the jaws of Amazon slowly close around the Opus adaptation aren't we?

obviously amazon is eventually just going to buy MAL
and not only will you need prime
and strike.
you will also need to make a MAL account and rate any show you watch after one episode in order to watch more episodes.

and when anime of the year voting comes down they will only allow for the top 10 shows by MAL rating to be considered.
they will trade mark anime of the year voting and send C&D letters to anyone that runs any sort of AOTY voting that doesn't include only the top 10 shows of the year on MAL

MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

I need to get back to Turn A Gundam and one of the Yuusha shows.

One day Nintendoman will watch Fafner Exodus #9&10, proceed to spam an entire page in uppercase with his unrestrained hype and I'll hold you responsible for it all.

The hype isn't there if you have ugly mecha.

I should have been smiling gleefully at the end of Kuromukuro episode 2, but the thing was so horribly designed that I felt next to nothing.

Just T

Fastest Finger First: 1

Not a bad introduction episode, also the voice for Fukami is really different from the usual.

Little Witch Academia: 17-18

Amanda got some focus in the first episode and it was great, she can be just as adventurous as Akko. She got to display her skills too and she was really impressive. In the latter episode it was Constanze that got the focus it was great as well as funny. It also was good that Akko decided to step back and help her in a different way than trying to be in her face all the time. Last part was amazing with the speech and giga drill breaker. Ursula not speaking up about Croix is still odd.

trejo

typically I don't care about visual stuff to much as long as it isn't artsy (aka ping pong/ mob psycho's styles were negatives for me not positive and I still won't bother watching princess kaguya because it looks hideous to me) I mean I get how people can enjoy styles like that but I personally hate them. or isn't just downright horribly animated like world trigger or whatever it was that was barely animated in the first episode.

Jesus christ, are you trying to give me an aneurysm? I've long maintained that ignore lists are dumb but wow, tempted.

Now I'm a little curious to know what you think of kaiji's art style, lol.

Oh trust me, it still happens.

After watching Cross Ange, I had to take a break from watching anime.

dickroach

It was shiiiiiiiit. I have absolutely nothing good to say about it. I guess it's impressive that they could make a dream world so boring and dull to look at.

what?? I thought the mix between CG and traditional art to make up the trippy dream world was awesome to look at
I'm into it

3pZ8oRy.png

kxdOcp0.png

S6KYnUI.png

zulux21

Jesus christ, are you trying to give me an aneurysm? I've long maintained that ignore lists are dumb but wow, tempted.

Now I'm a little curious to know what you think of kaiji's art style, lol.

this kaiji right?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/3002/Gyakkyou_Burai_Kaiji__Ultimate_Survivor

I only saw a bit of it, but it seemed fine from what I remember and looks fine in the screen shots. I have no issues with it.

like I said I can get why people can enjoy artsy stuff like I posted about, they are quite different from the norm, and art is subjective so things that I hate others can like.

In general I think it's more I don't like stuff that looks hand drawn at all. It can get how it can be cool to someone to see what looks like a series of watercolor pictures come to life, but I vastly prefer nice clean art then artsy stuff.

Holy god that was awful. I recall when I was a teen always feeling Trigun was my less preferred series compared to Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star, which I kinda saw the three as a pseudo-set of outlaw type shows, but man I forgot that it had some reeeeaaal clunkers.

dickroach

Holy god that was awful. I recall when I was a teen always feeling Trigun was my less preferred series compared to Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star, which I kinda saw the three as a pseudo-set of outlaw type shows, but man I forgot that it had some reeeeaaal clunkers.

ya i just started watching Trigun last week. this was definitely the weakest episode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom