• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Symphogear AXZ Episode 2:

AH, there we are, the other part of Symphogear arises in the overwrought emotional drama.

Kickz

Angel's 3Piece!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE.

NMWOK.gif

duckroll

Welcome to the Ballroom - Episode 1

Enjoyed this more than I thought. I wasn't particularly fond of the trailers beforehand, but the episode flowed pretty nicely. It's a very animation driven character piece, which is expected from a director who is first and foremost and animator. I felt the show communicated a lot of the emotions and narrative beats from the camera choices and character motions/expressions rather than the script. It didn't feel like there were any wasted frames either, and the way scenes were cut seemed really tight. Up close, the character designs feel a lot like Haikyuu, but that similarity vanishes when you see the full body frames. I wonder why. Some nice background work in select scenes, but I felt the dance studio itself seemed rather flat and generic in terms of digital background work. There characters definitely have screen presence, which is important for the sort of story this is. Great OP and ED, especially the Unison Square Garden song in the OP. Mmmmm.

----

Princess Principal - Episode 1

Not sure how this show wasn't on my radar before it was mentioned by others in the thread, but wow. A really huge surprise. Steampunk alternate history, Gravity Daze, Gunslinger Girls, spies action, sword action, where did this come from? Production wise it is probably the least impressive of the shows I watched today, but the premise is by far the most original. I've been disappointed by a lot of intrigue anime involving spies and "smart" stories with twists, but so far this seems very competently written and directed. It's weird, mysterious, somewhat brutal, but also extremely charming. Hopefully it doesn't go full Geass with Okouchi writing it! For a Kajiura soundtrack, it was oddly muted. Wonder if it'll pick up later on. The OP and ED are both awful songs with Engrish overload, which is a pity since the clips are pretty well made.

---

Made in Abyss - Episode 1

Definitely the most vanilla of the shows I checked out today. It's basically Etrian Odyssey anime with insanely gorgeous backgrounds, weird character designs, and a really good soundtrack. Kevin Penkin is outdoing his Under the Dog work effortlessly here. The show has really strong visual design in general, and it makes everything pop, even if the content is stuff I feel I've seen before many times. I'm not a fan of the character art though - it looks really odd and offputting in some way, even though the actual animation is pretty good. I'm interested in seeing more of the monster designs in particular, since the one we saw in the first episode was pretty cool.

My Hero Academia 27

This show stays winning. Go deku go!

AnimeGAF may change, its posters may come and go, and its memes, injokes, and its general tolerance for the various idiosyncrasies of the medium may vacillate, but K-On will always suck.

And Clannad After Story will always stay the masterful art-piece of the medium. :)

blurr

Re:;|$#&@(!@(_)%)Creators 01

Curiosity got the better of me, whatever happens let me see this through, I've at least got Selesia out of this. Oh Selesia <3

I knew the premise but I was a bit taken aback by its approach, specifically over the fact that it is grounded to reality and then has the protagonist briefly visit a world of fiction. The event would've been a lot more interesting/surprising if it started off backwards with the world of fiction being introduced first and eventually interfered with reality. This would probably take away a more neutral stance it currently has towards the events but the turn out would be more interesting, more so since this is a phenomenon that world of fiction or at least part of it acknowledges. The neutral stance helps out when more than one fictional world is involved but this episode had little of it.

This strongly reminds me of Last Action Hero and Drakengard a bit. Mostly the former. Drakengard's approach is something I would've fancied. There's a fair amount of ridiculous dialogue work that can be off putting for some but I'm willing to look beyond that. I more or less had my expectations in check for this.

It looks pretty decent visually so far, nothing stand out but nothing particularly bad either, noticeable post processing that's probably nothing new to current anime. I wish some of the character designs were better though.

Joe Molotov

From the creator of Ro-Kyu-Bu. So exactly as expected I guess?

Ugh, I didn't realize what this was before I watched it. I didn't watch Ro-Kyu-Bu and I'm not watching this either.

Decided to watch some wholesome 90's anime...

Space Pirate Miho S1

qnouwdH.gif

This was a surprisingly sweet and funny series. I thought it was just gonna be some goofy gag show, but it was actually pretty touching at times.

The ending though...

I did not see that coming, wtf. :lol And now Aoi is just a girl in the second season? Unexpected yuri ship uncloaking!

Taruranto

Is Altair supposed to be bad? There are a bunch of shows from critically acclaimed directors this season. I was planning on checking them all out but I haven't heard a single good thing about Altair lol.

It's extremely rushed and poorly directed. I'm waiting the second episode to see if I should just check the manga.

Definitely the most vanilla of the shows I checked out today. It's basically Etrian Odyssey anime with insanely gorgeous backgrounds, weird character designs, and a really good soundtrack. Kevin Penkin is outdoing his Under the Dog work effortlessly here. The show has really strong visual design in general, and it makes everything pop, even if the content is stuff I feel I've seen before many times. I'm not a fan of the character art though - it looks really odd and offputting in some way, even though the actual animation is pretty good. I'm interested in seeing more of the monster designs in particular, since the one we saw in the first episode was pretty cool.

Huh. I would have said Welcome to the Ballroom was the most vanilla of the three shows you posted about. It's basically a typical sports shounen manga introduction - the character who lacks confidence but suddenly gains confidence when he discovers one particular sport that inspires him which he resolves to work incredibly hard at. Using ballroom dancing instead of a more standard sport is the one thing that separates the material from being completely vanilla. Meanwhile, while Made in Abyss is definitely reminiscent of Etrian Odyssey, having a fantasy world with that tone actually fully realized in animation is extremely rare, unless I've been missing a lot of stuff, and even Etrian Odyssey doesn't have a culture as fleshed out as Made in Abyss' culture is in its first episode. I'm really curious to know where you've actually seen this content before many times. The animated work this most reminds me of, I would say, is Castle in the Sky.

Is Altair supposed to be bad? There are a bunch of shows from critically acclaimed directors this season. I was planning on checking them all out but I haven't heard a single good thing about Altair lol.

I feel like it's getting worse a wrap on here than it deserves. It definitely rushes through the set up, and doesn't offer a lot of time to become familiar with its characters, but I think it offers enough of the political, gradual march towards war stuff that Arslan offered to give it potential. Not a great start, but I think there's still way, way worse this season.

Definitely the most vanilla of the shows I checked out today.

N-- Nani?

duckroll

Made in Abyss is the "typical" standard fantasy setup which is going to be something "else" later on show. I think it's pretty boring these days because bait and switch is just a lazy shock value device. Ballroom on the other hand is about a guy learning how to dance. Could literally be a noitaminA show.

blurr

Made in Abyss is visually great but I'll have to agree with duckroll on this. It's very reminiscent of JRPG stories so much as being "typical" for those reasons.

Re:Creators 02

You know I was wondering when it would reach a symbolic commentary about the need for creators to be wary about what they make. It really doesn't have to try hard and it already did that this episode, perhaps unintentionally haha.

I mentioned Last Action Hero on the first episode but this episode screams Fate more than anything. I get what it's attempting with a large gathering of notable characters and an open battle but being grounded to a deliberately sketchy setup and a lack of acquaintance with the characters themselves undermines it.

The world exposition it attempts this episode is questionable enough that I'm not even gonna bother taking it apart. Keeping that in mind, the way it takes itself seriously is adorable to say the least. That's a charm that might keep me going for now. Besides Selesia of course.

Welcome to the Ballroom - Episode 1

It didn't feel like there were any wasted frames either, and the way scenes were cut seemed really tight. Up close, the character designs feel a lot like Haikyuu, but that similarity vanishes when you see the full body frames. I wonder why.

Even if they are overall similar, the character line art is a bit different. In Haikyuu is more... let's say energetic, a bit rough (in a good way) and genki, it gives a sporty feeling even if it wasn't about volleyball, but in Ballroom is more delicate and beautiful, and the close ups are more evocative of their inner feelings.

Definitely the most vanilla of the shows I checked out today. It's basically Etrian Odyssey anime

Well, maybe it's vanilla for you because you know Etrian Odyseey, but I don't :p. But yeah, it gives the adventure/mystery feeling that some classic animes had.

Made in Abyss is the "typical" standard fantasy setup which is going to be something "else" later on show. I think it's pretty boring these days because bait and switch is just a lazy shock value device. Ballroom on the other hand is about a guy learning how to dance. Could literally be a noitaminA show.

Regardless of the way so many people on the Internet - many of whom appear to have no actual experience with the source material - are tripping over themselves to make obnoxious ominous warnings about Made in Abyss, I don't really get a "bait and switch" feel from its first episode. It's already had a near-death encounter with a monster for the protagonist; I don't think it's pretending that there's nothing dark going on in order to make a "gotcha" Madoka-style twist a couple episodes down the road. We'll see where it ends up going, but if Made in Abyss is "typical" fantasy then I say anime needs more typical fantasy.

Ballroom is just Haikyuu - or heck, DAYS - just using competitive ballroom dancing instead of volleyball or soccer. I mean, that's not bad, and dancing is a unique subject to focus on outside of idols, but I think calling this a noitaminA show in its classic meaning is perhaps a bit much.

Line_HTX

Fate/Apocrypha 02

This Saber is actually the best one because she has a personality and not boring and overrated as SHIET king.

Lol, what the fuck at Astolfo's Master and the long lick.

Theonik

The sad times where noitaminA is so dead people call for good shows to be included in it!

blurr

Regardless of the way so many people on the Internet - many of whom appear to have no actual experience with the source material - are tripping over themselves to make obnoxious ominous warnings about Made in Abyss, I don't really get a "bait and switch" feel from its first episode. It's already had a near-death encounter with a monster for the protagonist; I don't think it's pretending that there's nothing dark going on in order to make a "gotcha" Madoka-style twist a couple episodes down the road. We'll see where it ends up going, but if Made in Abyss is "typical" fantasy then I say anime needs more typical fantasy.

On the contrary it's not that what it attempts is bad or this episode teased some sort of bait and switch situation but the premise doesn't intrigue partly for being reminiscent of JRPG stories in general. Everything it sets up feels pretty rudimentary so to speak. The tone and the initial events(escape from the monster and rescue) before the intro give the impression on what to expect out of it - a typical adventure to the unknown but hey! I might be wrong and I hope so.

Besides Etrian Odyssey you ought to check out Legend of Legacy for instance.

What the fuck stop starting re creators

It's too late now.

On the contrary it's not that what it attempts is bad or this episode teased some sort of bait and switch situation but the premise doesn't intrigue partly for being reminiscent of JRPG stories in general. Everything it sets up feels pretty rudimentary so to speak. The tone and the initial events(escape from the monster and rescue) before the intro give the impression on what to expect out of it - a typical adventure to the unknown but hey! I might be wrong and I hope so.

Besides Etrian Odyssey you ought to check out Legend of Legacy for instance.

I actually did play Legend of Legacy (the demo, anyway). It has wonderful visuals and music but as a game is not particularly good.

I'm fine with Made in Abyss being an adventure to the unknown. Anime (or film/TV in general) that actually captures an adventure feeling is not that common in my experience, at least at this point when fantasy anime tends to be reincarnation empowerment and live-action fantasy tends to be grim war epics.

I actually did play Legend of Legacy (the demo, anyway). It has wonderful visuals and music but as a game is not particularly good.

I'm fine with Made in Abyss being an adventure to the unknown. Anime (or film/TV in general) that actually captures an adventure feeling is not that common in my experience, at least at this point when fantasy anime tends to be reincarnation empowerment and live-action fantasy tends to be grim war epics.

I'd agree, I'm struggling to think of a really good fantasy adventure anime that isn't just a video game adaptation like the Tales stuff or similar. I know there's some, but at least in the last couple years I can't bring to mind any that capture that JRPG, wandering into the unknown feel.

Cats unite!

duckroll

There isn't really much "wandering" in Abyss so far. There's like, one scene of gathering, a random monster encounter, and erm.....town antics. Where's all this supposedly nostalgic wandering into the unknown? All I see the same party comedy stuff except with ugly characters.

There isn't really much "wandering" in Abyss so far. There's like, one scene of gathering, a random monster encounter, and erm.....town antics. Where's all this supposedly nostalgic wandering into the unknown? All I see the same party comedy stuff except with ugly characters.

I can see we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

tbf I don't know where the manga goes, but we've at least teased the adventure down through this abyss, the main girl (I'm so bad with names) following in her mother's footsteps. The mysterious origins of the robot boy. I mean, it's all set up for now but it feels to me that's where the show would like to go.

blurr

This is like saying the characters in AoT aren't going to open the basement given the chance.

I don't intend to say that it's wrong in doing so, it's just not an interesting enough story line for me. As a videogame, I feel this storyline works better than anime (besides the visual aspect which has an appeal of its own) since interaction/challenge through gameplay entails more tense/focused experiences - a quality that's possible just as much through animation but I'm unable to anticipate it based on this show's first episode.

Yes, Legend of Legacy has amazing visuals and music, I straight up bought the LE for that.

Ascheroth

ban this duck

zulux21

shin chan 1-6 while I was dozing in and out of consciousnesses.

hmmm, i can see why this show did decently back in the day on cartoon network. very adult swim humor with it. Sadly I don't enjoy that humor. It had an okay joke every once in a while but for the most part the bits I caught weren't very interesting.

the ending is fun though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=419MqaTXZLc

ban this duck

why? made in the abyss has horrid eye damaging characters that must be killed with fire o.o;

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't know what it is about Restaurant To Another World but two episodes in and I am already in love with this show. And all there's to it is that people eat food and gush over it.

Feed me more.

I don't intend to say that it's wrong in doing so, it's just not an interesting enough story line for me. As a videogame, I feel this storyline works better than anime (besides the visual aspect which has an appeal of its own) since interaction/challenge through gameplay entails more tense/focused experiences - a quality that's possible just as much through animation but I'm unable to anticipate it based on this show's first episode.

That's fine. In this kind of scenario, the atmosphere of the setting and secondarily the personality of the characters matter more to me than the complexity of the plot, and those are what Made in Abyss' first episode delivered on and what I am interested in seeing more of.

Yes, Legend of Legacy has amazing visuals and music, I straight up bought the LE for that.

I am hoping that The Alliance Alive will deliver a better game to go along with Hamauzu's incredible music. I'm always skeptical of FuRyu, but initial Japanese impressions of The Alliance Alive seem to be better at least.

shin chan 1-6 while I was dozing in and out of consciousnesses.

hmmm, i can see why this show did decently back in the day on cartoon network. very adult swim humor with it. Sadly I don't enjoy that humor. It had an okay joke every once in a while but for the most part the bits I caught weren't very interesting.

the ending is fun though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=419MqaTXZLc

why? made in the abyss has horrid eye damaging characters that must be killed with fire o.o;
Bro shin chan has Georgy as a hyper republican. Every line out of his mouth was gold.

"today I appreciate my mom, she's one of the good women unlike that Hillary Clinton who is the worst"

Mom: yes she sucks.

zulux21

Bro shin chan has Georgy as a hyper republican. Every line out of his mouth was gold.

"today I appreciate my mom, she's one of the good women unlike that Hillary Clinton who is the worst"

Mom: yes she sucks.

I don't think I caught anything like that.
more viagra jokes and people bad with money and milk jokes ect.

also I posted about it in the light novel thread but if you need a few volumes of manga or light novel amazon has a $5 off $15 code going
PRIMEBOOKS17

there is a chance prime is required, not sure.

I don't think I caught anything like that.
more viagra jokes and people bad with money and milk jokes ect.

also I posted about it in the light novel thread but if you need a few volumes of manga or light novel amazon has a $5 off $15 code going
PRIMEBOOKS17

there is a chance prime is required, not sure.
I just rewatched it and a lot of the humor is definitely silly, just like the og show, but whenever they had the 5 kids hanging out it was gold.

Ascheroth

Symphogear AXZ 02

"Fist 1 - Reason 0" that's one way to put it, lol.
Also muh dorama is creeping into it again.
I must say I haven't really liked any of the new songs all that much so far, hope that improves.
The OP certainly rocks and promises some cool stuff.

Fate - Apocrypha 02

Lmao Shakespeare.
Certainly some very amusing personalities in this and Saber of Red is already so much better than OG Saber after 2 episodes it's not even funny.
Dis gon be gud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom