• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ballroom Episode 2

Hyodo is great, unfortunately the episode wasnt that good. I think for sports and competitions shows, the first 2 or 3 should be in the actual sport or so, not giving a character pants and chatting with the girlfriend.

Stain actually looks like he came from 90s Image, more specifically from Todd McFarland's sketchbook because he has strips of cloth going every direction. But he's also like a Ninja Turtle with the posture of Miller's Batman? And he's got tons of blades and pouches and shit because Liefeld?

DDQo-PWXcAQYjGX.jpg

Its such a specific thing to nail (and the early 90s comic antihero designs are lambasted for being such overdesigned juveline edgy crap) but Horikoshi clearly has some genuine fondness for that stuff. It also helps that Horikoshi is a really good artist and that Stain stands out like a sore thumb instead of being drawn from the same slime pool as Shatterstar, Warchild and Prophet and Bloodstorm and Bloodshot and Blooddeath and Bloodblood. If you photoshopped Stain into dumb shit like this he would fit right in

37_medium.jpg

Narag

Re:Creators 10

:lol @ magane breaking the fourth wall at the end. I was a little worried she wouldn't survive this arc but if her spells are perpetual, she's more or less protected from two of the Creations now

Cornbread78

Tokyo Ravens ep.21-22
Kon to save the day! No really though, there are so many layers to this story and tge parties involved that I have no idea who has motivations for what at this point. Well, Horatora's is obvious, but everyone else...???

Hyoukokun

Princess Principal 2 did a good job selling me on the thing I was most unsure about: why is the plot of a spy show focused on a group of schoolgirls?
Given their original target of the Princess, it makes sense, and even then it appears that their handlers had to stretch their assets by inserting the slightly-too-old Dorothy. It also appears that the students can mingle believably at social gatherings like the ball. It was kind of an amusing contrast to the LWA ball infiltration episode I saw earlier this week.
. This episode spent its runtime on fairly believable spycraft (secret communications, social engineering, etc.), which is refreshing. I feel like I've seen a lot of shows where being a spy mostly amounts to a couple of scenes of bad acting in disguise followed immediately by dropping all pretense and going straight for action.

The ending twist with Ange and Charlotte (or Charlotte and Ange?) is a good'un, nicely foreshadowed in the princess' initial reaction to their meeting. Looking forward to seeing where they go with the deception.

Knight's & Magic 3

Wow so many great advancements over their previous technology, it was impressive. Though I think they really need to work on the mana capacity, whats more power when the same amount of maximum energy capacity remains the same.

Narag

Re:Creators 11

Surprisingly poignant ep about the dangerous combination of social media's mom mentality and professional jealously. It's actually making me wonder how much of that exists beyond what one could consider the norm. Feels hard to gauge as a Western fan given how skewed perception can be due to other Western fans projecting their views on certain staff.

Qurupeke

Princess Principal 2
It's a good thing they had to mention that she's twenty I guess.

Anyway, the show is surprisingly interesting. I like the politics and the spy drama seems compelling, even if the antagonists are a bit on the nose.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Princess Principal 2

It's a good thing they had to mention that she's twenty I guess.

Anyway, the show is surprisingly interesting. I like the politics and the spy drama seems compelling, even if the antagonists are a bit on the nose.

I think they have to by law.

Kansoku

So what is this pandering moment in the second episode of Made in Abyss?

How do you even pander with those character designs?

In episode 1, the girl comments that as punishment for something they (the staff at her school) hanged her naked.

In episode 2 they briefly show the same girl hanging naked with the school`s principal (another woman).

Due to the art style, the "naked" looks like "AstroBoy naked"

So what is this pandering moment in the second episode of Made in Abyss?

How do you even pander with those character designs?

It's not even pandering. It's people who don't know how to use their brains going: "Lolicon culture = naked kiddos = bad" and not being able to differentiate that from a two second shot of girl being hung up naked that fits the themes of the story.

Re:Creators 11

Surprisingly poignant ep about the dangerous combination of social media's mom mentality and professional jealously.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Cornbread78

It's not even pandering. It's people who don't know how to use their brains going: "Lolicon culture = naked kiddos = bad" and not being able to differentiate that from a two second shot of girl being hung up naked that fits the themes of the story.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Why else would they adapt it? They could have easily keep the dark undertones without it there.

Mahoujin Guru Guru (2017) 1

Mahoujin Guru Guru (1994) 1

Old anime really is better.

But seriously, I find I do prefer the 1994 anime's take on the material. It's interesting, if not unexpected, how different the two anime feel. 2017 has a very contemporary approach to comedy: extremely hyperactive, extremely loud, completely in-your-face. As is not surprising from Ikuo Geso, it feels akin to Imaishi's style of humor cultivated at Gainax and Trigger despite a softer and rounder base aesthetic inherited from the source material. It has the same fondness for manic energy, and similar animation shortcuts such as characters being slid or bounced instead of genuinely animated at times (though I should say there's moments of strong animation in 2017 as well). The incorporation of pixel art is a nice way to pay homage to the 8-bit RPGs that the series is riffing on, but it also feels rather aggressive in its stylistic switches.

Meanwhile the 1994 anime is much more relaxed in its comedic pacing, which I find more bearable. While I like Asano's 2017 character designs a bit better than the 1994 designs - they're ever so slightly better shaped - I like the overall aesthetic of 1994 better, especially with its backgrounds that conjure up a classic Disney cartoon. It's got a children's storybook vibe, especially due to the placid female narrator patiently interjecting at various points to move the story forward or simply punctuate jokes. Meanwhile, the 2017 anime feels more like someone scrubbing through a story on a smartphone. In some sense, the 2017 anime is the Half-Minute Hero to 1994's Dragon Quest.

Both anime are well made, to judge from their first episodes, but the 1994 anime is simply more appealing to my tastes.

duckroll

Re:Creators - Episode 14-15

Okay this is an unexpected direction for the show. It's trying to be weirder and funnier, which is a plus. At the same time though, I think what the show is missing says a lot about the attitudes of the people in Japan making anime and shit. There's a lot of concern about ideas being "accepted" by fans, and how the power of fan support is what powers creations. But why is this exclusive to Japan? Why is there zero consideration that Japanese works have as large or larger fanbases outside of Japan? Is this something they don't want to think about or consider? Why isn't there a localization team on board for such a project? Why isn't there discussions about distributing the spinoffs internationally online in 50 languages? If you want to harness the power of fan support, it seems really silly to isolate your base to a local one, especially when these are supposedly the "most popular works" of their time. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumbbbbbbbbb.

Re:Creators - Episode 14-15

Okay this is an unexpected direction for the show. It's trying to be weirder and funnier, which is a plus. At the same time though, I think what the show is missing says a lot about the attitudes of the people in Japan making anime and shit. There's a lot of concern about ideas being "accepted" by fans, and how the power of fan support is what powers creations. But why is this exclusive to Japan? Why is there zero consideration that Japanese works have as large or larger fanbases outside of Japan? Is this something they don't want to think about or consider? Why isn't there a localization team on board for such a project? Why isn't there discussions about distributing the spinoffs internationally online in 50 languages? If you want to harness the power of fan support, it seems really silly to isolate your base to a local one, especially when these are supposedly the "most popular works" of their time. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumbbbbbbbbb.

Re:Creators should have had Crunchyroll on its committee.

In Another World With My Smartphone 1

Now, maybe I'm expecting too much from studio Production Reed, but this show straight up looks right out of 2006.

Hyoukokun

Having read the manga, I worry that this signals they'll likely keep in certain later scenes that are less defensible. I may well be overreacting. Time will tell, I guess. The rest of the adventure is worth watching for me given how well they're adapting the story, but I'm not going to rush out and tell my friends to watch it yet.

You've caught my interest.

Nah, imagine every anime ever distilled down to the most basic, unimaginative, generic designs that leave zero lasting impression. I can't even remember what the show looks like, that's how bland it is.

Edit: Also my rewatch of Trigun is not going well. It's... not as good as I remember it, and I didn't even like it a ton when I first saw it =/

Quasar

Tokyo Ravens ep.21-22

Kon to save the day! No really though, there are so many layers to this story and tge parties involved that I have no idea who has motivations for what at this point. Well, Horatora's is obvious, but everyone else...???

Folks wanting the WW2 status quo to return with a reincarnated Yakou. Though some want to be in control of it. At least the main faction of the Twin Horn syndicate.

But yeah...to effort try and fit the plot of this arc into 24 episodes has made some of the politics less clear than the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom