• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fate/Apocrypha 04

DFdjKhVXkAYNieq.jpg
DFdikJIXgAAuaEN.jpg

Another fantastic fighting episode. Amusing to seeing Astolfo finally actually fighting someone and rather easily getting the upper hand on Berserker. I already know pretty much everything that happens but it is still a blast to actually see this all animated.

Welcome to the Ballroom 3

There was a particular scene in the first half of the episode that made me think "Yup, Hosanna probably dropped this show now" so I scan the thread a bit for some Ballroom impressions and lo and behold:

I hate being right sometimes.

Not going to try and dissuade you or anything but if you stopped watching then and there then you missed out on some nice bits of dancing sakuga later on, although the show still relies a bit too much on stills for my liking.

You know me so well. Fortunately the dancing animation can be seen on sakugabooru.

Stray thought: Yugo the Negotiator does more negotiating than Shindo.

I think we can all agree that Kado was a total failure. Hopefully Netflix doesn't take forever to put up ID-0 so people can wash out that taste with some good CG science fiction anime.

Cornbread78

School Rumble ep.23-S1 END
So...many....twists...and....turns........ That last episode was kind of annoying in the way it was directed, but the comedy was still pretty funny through this final segment until the weird non-ending ending. I look forward to digging into S2, where maybe sonething is figured out with all these cast members, lol.

trejo

You know me so well. Fortunately the dancing animation can be seen on sakugabooru.

Well, to be fair, if Shizuku keeps being the subject of all these tired fanservicey jokes and tropes for much longer I might have to consider bailing out as well, much as I enjoy seeing these weirdly proportioned giraffes contort themselves into awkward to watch positions. Specially so if in light of some developments seen at the end of the episode she also starts becoming an object that the two males start competing over as a prize to be won.

So...many....twists...and....turns........ That last episode was kind of annoying in the way it was directed, but the comedy was still pretty funny through this final segment until the weird non-ending ending. I look forward to digging into S2, where maybe sonething is figured out with all these cast members, lol.
I'm gonna save you a lot of trouble and tell you to not expect any real resolution for any of the characters or really a satisfying ending of any sort and just enjoy it for the comedy. Trust me, you'll thank me later.

Fate Apoc 1-3

Fuck this is fate/anime as fuck I love it.

Is this limp dick homunculus really suppose to be our lead character with Ruler who hasn't done anything?

Well, to be fair, if Shizuku keeps being the subject of all these tired fanservicey jokes and tropes for much longer I might have to consider bailing out as well, much as I enjoy seeing these weirdly proportioned giraffes contort themselves into awkward to watch positions. Specially so if in light of some developments seen at the end of the episode she also starts becoming an object that the two males start competing over as a prize to be won.

I'm gonna save you a lot of trouble and tell you to not expect any real resolution for any of the characters or really a satisfying ending of any sort and just enjoy it for the comedy. Trust me, you'll thank me later.
Eh imho I consider the school rumble z ending as good an ending as any. Even if not technically canon

Fate Apocrypha - 04

Siegfried is a good man.
It was a shame he went like that but his Master was a piece of shit anyway. Good thing he's out of the war now.
I wonder what the implications will be now for the boy. Did his lifespan increase/decrease?

What in the world LOL.

Kakegurui - 04

This show continues being so wacky I just can't help but love it. If the reactions in Soma were great this is on a whole other level, like borderline insanity.

trejo

Ya'll are killing. So expect lots more misunderstandings of misunderstandings of misunderstanding and general idiocy and tomfoolery?

You can expect (spoilers for the entire anime, obviously)
Why won't Harima notice best girl Yakumo's feelings already because Jesus fucking christ School Rumble what the hell are you doing no one gives two shits about Tenma who the fuck is Eri what the fuck is this bullshit I can't even

Boy that took me back.

Qvoth

Made in Abyss ep.3

And the journey officially begins now. The little kid that stayed back is definitely going to die, I mean, those were giant death flags all over the place... I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

manga spoiler from a special side chapter
he got really ill, then was "cured" by some doctor when they went to her ship which is away from oarth, so basically away from the abyss
she didn't do anything other than brought him into the ship, even she was perplexed

You can expect (spoilers for the entire anime, obviously)
Why won't Harima notice best girl Yakumo's feelings already because Jesus fucking christ School Rumble what the hell are you doing no one gives two shits about Tenma who the fuck is Eri what the fuck is this bullshit I can't even

Boy that took me back.

Umm, there seems to be a mistake here. Everyone who has watched School Rumble knows that Eri is best girl.

DNAbro

manga spoiler from a special side chapter
he got really ill, then was "cured" by some doctor when they went to her ship which is away from oarth, so basically away from the abyss
she didn't do anything other than brought him into the ship, even she was perplexed

this is a spoiler for the lastest chapter
After watching that episode and looking at that latest chapter I think they are finally making use of that hint about some sickness or sudden death. They won't get to it in the show though.

Even the comedy in season 2 is a huge step down from the first,

RedEther

Welcome to the Ballroom 03

We got to see some actual dancing this time around which is done pretty well I might add. Next episode looks to improve on that aspect so I'm excited to see that.

Good thing this arc ends next episode and one of the best arcs begin.

Jarmel

Banned
I thought the editing in The Reflection was pretty bad. Scenes lasted way too long and the action sequences felt drawn out, as if the animators couldn't keep up.

Not really impressed with it from a visual standpoint.

JulianImp

Code Geass R2 - Up to #16
I'm really glad things didn't really escalate the way I expected them to, so that Lelouch didn't end up becoming just a Light wannabe after the Euphemia incident. I also like that this is a bona-fide tragedy, where his shortcomings and flaws keep snuffing out any hope he'd have before he ever gets to enjoy it, and he's always directly or indirectly responsible for screwing himself up, concistently leading to victories for Zero's cause that come at a huge cost to Lelouch's.

The way he does drop his mask for a bit at those times is pretty interesting, and makes him a far more interesting character than if he were perfectly calm and collected at all times. Lelouch actually isn't as much of a chessmaster as he'd want to believe, and is prone to making dubious choices in the spur of the moment, such as giving everything up during a great offensive just to save Nunally, or hide his hatred for Rolo while obviously showing the audience that he wants him dead for what he did to Shirley, and I like him a lot more for that.

Even though the plot and many of its twists are pretty out there and sort of nonsensical, I like how much the show is about characters interacting with and influencing each other, and how nearly every character in the show is multifaceted, nuanced and even self-contradictory to a degree (even though they can get pretty trope-y at times).

Also, that latest episode with Wakamoto, Lelouch and CC cements the show as a post-Eva mecha, alright, but I'm one hell of a sucker for series that revolve around character interactions. Maybe it's just that I'm already so used to anime that I can let the dumber plot developments slide because I feel they still make (at least some) sense given the story's theme.

There's still time for the show to crash and burn to the ground now that characters can get sent to metaphoric art galleries in alternate-dimensions (and Wakamoto probably hasn't had his fill of awesome hammy moments yet) and some things are left to explore, including whatever the heck's up with Jupiter featuring in several openings, but I'm sincerely hoping it doesn't do so since I do like what I've seen so far.

Made in Abyss 3

It seems like a number of people felt they hadn't spent enough time with the characters for the events of this episode to be impactful, but I have to confess that I teared up at the end. What can I say? I'm a sap.

Kickz

Yea this show loves its twists and impossible situations lol, sometimes frustrating you.
But its the characters that make it worth it.

Symphogear 5-11

this show continues to be a fun ride, with yandere girl joining the party and
professor boobie lady ending up being the big bad lady who's been plotting everything from the beginning.
. I kind of still hate miku a bit after making up with hibiki. that bit of haterade when she found out about hibiki fighting the noise was bs. the command is also super bad ass, and should totally be the last guest character for tekken 7 lol.

blurr

There's so much talk on Princess Principal, I really need to get to watching it and read all posts on it.

I think we can all agree that Kado was a total failure. Hopefully Netflix doesn't take forever to put up ID-0 so people can wash out that taste with some good CG science fiction anime.

I've read almost everyone's take on it, while I understand it and partly agree I still can't say I feel the same about Kado as most do here, at least until the first half of episode 9. My experience until then has been great and something I can look back and reminisce on the themes and premise. Suffice to say it isn't a total failure for me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tsuredure Children

Yep, that's Tsuredure Children in motion. Hope you like getting diabetes.

Castile

Neo Member
King of Fighters Destiny Preview Fight
https://youtu.be/KRx_E6kMzs8

Man, the CG from Maximum Impact 2 looks better than this and that's a game from 2006. The fight itself is bad, really bad with Jeff spinning like an idiot and Geese channeling his inner Goku and throwing him thirty feet in the air and air comboing him back with ki blast.

Jarmel

Banned
Kakegurui-[3-4]

It's rare for me to say this but this is a morally disgusting show. I feel like a worse person watching this.

The fourth episode had a guy try and intimidate a girl into stripping for him, threaten to rape her, another girl play Russian Roulette and then slicking herself in the bathroom, and students selling other students into literal slavery.

How long until one of the girls bets their hymen?

Narag

King of Fighters Destiny Preview Fight
https://youtu.be/KRx_E6kMzs8

Man, the CG from Maximum Impact 2 looks better than this and that's a game from 2006. The fight itself is bad, really bad with Jeff spinning like an idiot and Geese channeling his inner Goku and throwing him thirty feet in the air and air comboing him back with ki blast.

lol a youtube comment pointed out he was using the feature move form the first two Fatal Fury OVAs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu1f8jnkI_I&feature=youtu.be&t=93

Well, I went back to London 2 weeks ago and got some more The Eccentric Family pictures since they showed Hampstead Heath again in episode 9 of S2:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-eccentric-family-hampstead-heath.html

And I visited some Kinmoza locations I missed the last time:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2017/07/kinmoza-london-revisit.html

Stayed at the hotel seen in the K-On movie:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2017/07/k-on-hotel-ibis-london-earls-court.html

And got some more pictures at Heathrow as well:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2017/07/k-on-heathrow-airport-revisit.html

Also met some of y'all, like Theo and Aki-at. And saw BGBW again as well :p

Olengie

Welcome to the Ballroom 03

We got to see some actual dancing this time around which is done pretty well I might add. Next episode looks to improve on that aspect so I'm excited to see that.

Good thing this arc ends next episode and one of the best arcs begin.

Same here.

looking forward to the Chinatsu portions, which I assume will pretty much be the second cour

Olengie

Kakegurui-[3-4]

It's rare for me to say this but this is a morally disgusting show. I feel like a worse person watching this.

The fourth episode had a guy try and intimate a girl into stripping for him, threaten to rape her, another girl play Russian Roulette and then slicking herself in the bathroom, and students selling other students into literal slavery.

Someone probably did at some point

LotusHD

Banned
I wasn't talking about pairings. I wanted to know if they became heroes of legend or managed to fulfill their original objectives and stuff.

Oh...

No. I mean, they did beat the two biggest threats in their world, so I'm sure they're heroes or whatever, but they never mention anything. And what original objectives exactly?

Kakegurui-[3-4]

The fourth episode had a guy try and intimate a girl into stripping for him, threaten to rape her, another girl play Russian Roulette and then slicking herself in the bathroom, and students selling other students into literal slavery.

This show reminds me of Scum's Wish for some reason. I should drop it, it's honestly boring af aside from the crazy faces

Princess Principal Ep 3

And the story veers back into the uncanny valley, keep the girls in social spying situations as the tactical tutus are only making the dissonance worse.

Kakegurui-[3-4]

Yeah this is one of those shows where every screencap I see just manages to turn me off from it even more.

Same here.

looking forward to the Chinatsu portions, which I assume will pretty much be the second cour

Yeah, my thinking was that
episodes 6-12 will be the Mako arc and 13-24 will be the Chinatsu arc. I can't wait until she appears and people start complaining she is bitchy :p

PaulBizkit

Oh...

No. I mean, they did beat the two biggest threats in their world, so I'm sure they're heroes or whatever, but they never mention anything. And what original objectives exactly?

Natsu wanted to find his dad and Erza wanted to be the very best or something like that. So, hol up, yo, so you be sayin'... That the end is kind of open? So, they go on another adventure and that's it?

How bad is that finale? like, worse than naruto or bleach?

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep. 119

Yes Happy, he got to touch Carla's tushy and you didn't! It was an accident so get over it! Besides, you may have called for a duel, but Lilly would destroy you, lol. Very funny comedic break in the action from the rest of the crews battles.

Now the rest of the episode, well, it's followed the same pattern everything else in this arc has done; Fairy Tail find a way to use a good power up (image above) then.... bad guys come back with a nasty OP attack (below) to bring on despair and pain to those same wizards...

Sooner or later there will finally be an end to this utter madness and they can send this looser packing for good. Bring on Gramps' comeback and Fairy Law this fu(ker....

Fairy Tail ep. 119

Sooner or later there will finally be an end to this utter madness and they can send this looser packing for good. Bring on Gramps' comeback and Fairy Law this fu(ker....

Did you forget that he can't use Fairy Law because Precht has a similar, but darker version of that same ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom