• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Need I also remind you that he's old and is currently recovering from being blasted in the chest?

I'm sure he won't mind Team Natsu getting the job done for him.

Yeah, but Pops acting all badass is awesome stuff and I want to see more of it! I'm pretty sure they just tried their last "power of friendship" power-up and we'll have to wait and see how it worked (damn episode endings)...

Oh no wonder Vampire Knights was making no sense. Somehow I watched the first 3 episodes of Season 1 and then began watching Episodes 4-8 of Season 2.... well I'm not going back to fix it, was kinda hating it anyway.

Cornbread78

Oh no wonder Vampire Knights was making no sense. Somehow I watched the first 3 episodes of Season 1 and then began watching Episodes 4-8 of Season 2.... well I'm not going back to fix it, was kinda hating it anyway.

I stopped at episode 4 of S1 and just couldn't continue. The whole shoujo vampire thing just wasn't working for me...

Blue Gender ep.3-4

I haven't finished episode 4 yet, but this worm monster stopped me dead in my tracks.... wtf, lol

Fucking love this show. The movie edit is awful, but I really loved how messed up the world is and how nasty the creatures are.

I thought the editing in The Reflection was pretty bad. Scenes lasted way too long and the action sequences felt drawn out, as if the animators couldn't keep up.

Not really impressed with it from a visual standpoint.

I felt like all the fights lacked impact. Whenever someone punched someone, or kicked, or what have you it felt like there was no weight behind any of it. That really kept me from getting sucked into the action.

Made in Abyss 3

It seems like a number of people felt they hadn't spent enough time with the characters for the events of this episode to be impactful, but I have to confess that I teared up at the end. What can I say? I'm a sap.

I guess I'm a sap too. I didn't tear up, but I felt sad for the characters and that they'd likely never see each other again. Or maybe we're just not heartless :p #CatsCare

I stopped at episode 4 of S1 and just couldn't continue. The whole shoujo vampire thing just wasn't working for me...

Yeah, I mean, I'm not going back to finish it because I hate some of the twists it starts dealing in. So convoluted and awful.

sonicmj1

The Reflection 1

This was... strange. I very, very much want to believe in this show, but a lot of the moments in this episode fell flat. In some ways it reminded me of the first episode of Flowers of Evil, with its long stretches of nothing, still frames, and slightly undercooked animation. But in that case, the stillness fit the mood, the lingering shots built a sense of dread that paid off with the episode's conclusion, and at least there were some fanatically detailed backgrounds to drink in. Here, so much stillness was injected into a flying superhero battle above Times Square. It didn't fit.

Still, there were so many fresh ideas at work here that I still want to see more. I liked how the buildings were used to create diagetic comic book panels, with their sides dissolving into speed lines as the heroes flew past early on, and creating a picture-in-picture effect for the cheering crowd as I-Guy struggled with that bat dude. I also thought the transition from the news report was really clever, watching the camera guy try to follow this aerial battle taking place overhead. The flat-shaded art style, when everything came together, popped unlike any other cartoon I've ever seen, truly a comic come to life. But at its worst, the drab backgrounds recalled something a step below Mirror's Edge's old animated cutscenes.

This episode felt a lot like a pilot or proof of concept, light on plot and heavy on ambition. It felt to me like the animators involved still weren't fully accustomed to working in this new style, or they didn't have enough time/budget, or whatever. The storyboard, at a faster pace, could have really sung, but the mix of a slower tempo and very limited animation tempered its impact. I hope Nagahama and DEEN develop a better grasp of the material as they go.

I'm curious to see where this goes thematically. Opening with Obon and the candle boats, a festival about mourning the spirits of the dead, feels like it has to be an intentional choice. With superpowers arising out of a natural disaster, and people being transformed by it over time, I feel like this could represent another sort of response to the 3/11 earthquake and its aftermath. Too early to say, so we'll see.

What was going on with those end credits?

There's some promotional tie-in the show has with the group 9nine. They were also the Japanese schoolgirls at the beginning of the episode.

IV8A3Hw.gif

Ascheroth

Symphogear AXZ 04

In which Chris fights while surfing on a missile, our antagonists get their transformations, our team gets their ass kicked and a naked dude throws a spirit bomb. We DBZ now.
Also what's with all those awesome impact frame sequences or whatever the proper term is, those are great.

Defuser

Fate/Apocrypha ep 4
Can't believe it took 4 episodes to find have Ruler and Homunculus meet.Siegfried you are truly a hero.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.120
Well, I guess that last power-up worked and a nice battle to finish off the baddies. However, looks like the arc changes focus to some of the unanswered questions from all the battles will start to get addressed..

BTW, Lilly's new sword is sick!

Squishy3

Ogawa is just inexplicably revealed to be a ninja in Symphogear AXZ's first episode with no explanation and I love it.

And yeah, Dr. Ver is the best.

Sterok

Precure Dream Stars

Mofurun saving the Miracle Lights segment. Didn't like the other fourth wall breaks though. They didn't offer anything good. Bad guy is really annoying. Everyone dumping Ichika, and Pekorin doesn't count as a person. Also, Elder is just gone from the movie. Ichika feels like a creepy stalker towards Sakura with how she knows everything. Physical fighting Kiras? Off-screen is one way to get around that I guess. More destruction of property is cool. Middle schoolers saved by cartoon physics. Riko does not have her best showing here. Yukari knows how to blend in, but Akira is just a creeper towards Yui. Kiras, please stop being creepers. I would've liked a bit more distrust between the groups since it was brought up, but not that big a loss. Flora showing how a real princess works. Now I just want her to solo everything.

Almost getting stabbed while frozen. A halfway competent baddie for once huh. Too bad its the brainwashed one. Really don't care about the Sakura/Shizuku stuff, and this is where Ichika gets too much screen time. You'd think the Princesses would be used to the CG look by now. Which I do like actually. The comedy ramped up a lot towards the climax. Weird. But I liked most of the jokes. Especially Miracle and Twinkle getting bored of the dogs' speech. Poor Flora in the tree. Whip got to use her super hearing again. Neat. Time out lol. At least one bad guy has an excuse for waiting. Super Whip go! Now for an epic dance... no dance? What blasphemy is this? Worst crossover movie confirmed.

It was alright. Doesn't touch the highs of the last movie, but there have been worse. The original characters weren't interesting enough to justify their screen time, but we still got some decent crossover material at least. I suppose trimming the cast helped, but it felt like most of the saved screen time went towards the OCs. Well, if this is the last time we see them at least the Princesses went out on a high note.

Ascheroth

Ogawa is just inexplicably revealed to be a ninja in Symphogear AXZ's first episode with no explanation and I love it.

And yeah, Dr. Ver is the best.
He had ninja moments before that. There was one episode in a previous season where he was running on water.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Symphogear AXZ Episode 4:

Go to admit, I wasn't expecting the final boss to just show up and drop a spirit bomb on everybody and to lose his clothes for some reason.

Invincible Steel Man Daitarn 3 - 1

This starting episode opened up with a woman's car breaking down, said woman stepping out of the car, kicking it, and watching it fall to pieces.

The woman's dress then rips and she then runs barefoot to a beauty pageant where it turns out he guy running the thing is a cyborg and is luring women there to turn them all into cyborgs in order to "enhance" them.

This is all taken very seriously and yet the show has this silly cartoonish air around the whole situation.

This can only be the work of...

Yep. Just as I thought.

blurr

Made in Abyss 03

It's nice that the couple of questions that popped up in my head as I was watching were answered as this episode progressed. I however, still don't know how Riko is going to survive this descent, I believe they mention in episode 2 that the curse of the Abyss ranges from nausea to straight up death as they delve deeper.

Besides that, I have to say it mostly does a good job of hiding it given how charming Riko and the other kids are but the world of Made in Abyss is cruel. The Abyss gets a lot more glory than it deserves, at least that's my feeling at this point of the story. I'm not convinced with Riko's "connected through the Abyss" but I suppose that goes for a lot of irrational ideas people can cling on to justify what they do. In this case, the Abyss is their god.

phaze

I've a military-themed anime hankering, so I came here for recommendations.

I've already watched GuP and Strike Witches and liked those, if you need a sort of starting point for your recommendations. Also watched Jormungand and the sequel, and while the show was very nice, the premise was ehh (interestingly, her own brother calls her out on that).

Don't want to watch Youjo Senki due to the 'Not-zi' glorification undertones of the whole thing. Also, I've read there a pretty strong undercurrent of militaristic nationalism in Gate, so I guess i'll give that one a miss as well.

What should I look up? Brave Witches? Haifuri? Arpeggio of Blue Steel? Izetta? Sora no Woto? Valkyria Chronicles The Animation? The Pilot's Love Song?

Also, I have an immensely high tolerance for ecchi and fanservice, so don't refrain from recommending stuff which contains it. Heck I unironically watched and liked Valkyrie Drive. OTOH I absolutely hate dumb names, which unfortunately Japanese authors sometimes saddle their characters with. Satellizer el Bridget?!? What the high-flying fuck is that?!?

There is also First Squad - The Moment of Truth which I just finished watching and which is an actual WWII anime with like Soviets, Germans, Eastern Front and stuff.

Also with ghosts, sorcery, katanas and Teutonic Knights cause why the fuck not.

It's not good at all but since Strike Witches are on the table then anything is.
kruemelmonster9bq1o.gif

Hyoukokun

Made in Abyss 03
I however, still don't know how Riko is going to survive this descent, I believe they mention in episode 2 that the curse of the Abyss ranges from nausea to straight up death as they delve deeper.
It's not the descent that's the problem. Those symptoms only kick in if you try to go back up (which I think you get to see quietly demonstrated when one of the kids gets sick on the return trip). Aiming for the bottom as they are is pretty much explicitly a suicide mission, since even if you survive going down there's no way to safely return.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You tryin' to say this person is all of us? Hmm?

;P

As someone who has read the manga, trust me, Yamane is DEFINETELY a gaffer.

Except for the part with the cute girl talking to him. And having an actual friend with good advice.

blurr

It's not the descent that's the problem. Those symptoms only kick in if you try to go back up (which I think you get to see quietly demonstrated when one of the kids gets sick on the return trip). Aiming for the bottom as they are is pretty much explicitly a suicide mission, since even if you survive going down there's no way to safely return.

Ah, thanks for clarifying, makes sense now.

"Help Me GAF- Girl asked me out and is being nice, how to interact with opposite sex"

So Densha Otoko?

Riko's intent seems to be that she'll find her mom and then live happily after ever with her at the bottom of the Abyss, I suppose, though since no one knows what's actually there whether or not that is possible is doubtful.

e_i

A Centaur's Life episode 3

"I don't think I could give Shino to a loli-yuri lover, though."

WTF? Did she just ball her niece a lesbian lolicon?

Cornbread78

Love and Lies ep.4
Man, this show is excellent to watch. I'm really enjoying the OST backgrounds that are helping to frame the moments between al the characters here.

I really feel bad for Ruriri here. I mean, she is just letting him do anything he wants and she is even promoting it even though they have no options to actually make their relationship work with the forced marriages. As seen above, the MC is the selfish once in this case he wants his cake and wants to eat it too.. He can't stand the thought of his love being with another assigned man, but it's OK for him, since she's not really into it and wants to see him happy with the other girl? Quite the confusing web of lies all the way around. Now he is going on a camping trip and invited not only the two girls he is attached to, but
the guy that kissed him as well. (he is going to end up being Misaki's husband) Maybe a bisexual harem incoming?

Seriously though, this is pretty engaging and well done....

Restaurant Isekai 4

Still same formula, but at least I got a giggle out of the cocky vegetarian elf. Also the fuck with the last image flashing by when she says "I'm going to cook something that surpasses that restaurant" being an image of
her mom breast feeding her
LMAAAAAAAAAAO. Probably will be one of those forgettable dollar bin slice of life shows you recommend once the person finishes everything worthwhile.

DNAbro

Love and Lies Episode 4

Okay episode. Much more excited for the next one. I binged the manga and their is definitely some things I want to see.

In Another World With My Smartphone 1

Dropped.

My Hero Academia 29

Very, very good episode. I thought the Hero Killer didn't have a Quirk, but I guess I was wrong on that front. Would've added a nice layer of characterization to him if that was the case, but alas.

Still, the fight scenes were great and I look forward to next weeks episode greatly.

Gamers! 1-2

Ended up liking this a lot more than I thought I would. There is quite a bit to like here actually and is hitting all the right buttons for me.

Twitch released their schedule for the anime marathon stream they're starting this Thursday in partnership with Crunchyroll:

Mob Psycho 100, Dragon's Maid, and Yuri on Ice twice? Come on Crunchyroll. You have more than a few shows deserving of those slots than to give those three shows reruns on Twitch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom