• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
How many anime characters can you name that are black and from Brazil? How many actual African anime characters can you name? That aren't stereotypes made for some cheap attempt at comedy?
To be fair...what does it mean to be an African character and how is that represented? I didn't really watch enough to know completely but they still went out of their way to name the character "Tyrone".

I tried Majin Bone and it really did not impress me that much. If I was in a certain mood maybe it'd click a bit more but honestly it seems like a big joke to push it as some kind of missed masterpiece. If you want to get into policing the taste of others it's not like I see you posting about legit stuff ever like Dezaki works or stuff of that nature as a benchmark for stuff that has actually stood the test of time. You're kinda just hanging around and eating outta another set of trash cans from people who get really roused up over Cross Ange or whatever. Do not worry though, I silently judge those people too before heading off to eat my own garbage.

I'm not gonna lament that people choose to watch Sword Art Online over The Rose of Versailles because that's the guy who stands outside of a movie theater yelling at people going to see Transformers that they could see The Godfather instead, and nobody likes that guy. If its two similar things though that's different.

I have to be in the right mood for certain types of material. I am almost finished with Legend of the Galactic Heroes, a 110 episode epic. It took me almost twice as long to finish that then Gintama, a comedy shonen with triple the episodes. Now I'm not saying Gintama is bad or even inferior but its definitely easier to consume.

To be fair...what does it mean to be an African character and how is that represented? I didn't really watch enough to know completely but they still went out of their way to name the character "Tyrone".

I tried Majin Bone and it really did not impress me that much. If I was in a certain mood maybe it'd click a bit more but honestly it seems like a big joke to push it as some kind of missed masterpiece. If you want to get into policing the taste of others it's not like I see you posting about legit stuff ever like Dezaki works or stuff of that nature as a benchmark for stuff that has actually stood the test of time. You're kinda just hanging around and eating outta another set of trash cans from people who get really roused up over Cross Ange or whatever. Do not worry though, I silently judge those people too before heading off to eat my own garbage.
Majin Bone is a solid show. Just because it didn't click with you doesn't make it trash

ibyea

Banned
Okay, here's what doesn't make sense to me. Because somebody kept making something that could have been a good product but became a piece of trash later down the line, the fact that they kept making it even though it was already too far gone is what makes it secretly beautiful?

You know what real beauty looks like to me?

Something that could have wound-up as a soulless cash-in but someone's idea turned it into something beautiful. Somebody taking nothing and turning it into something.

Majin Bone makes so many moves you wouldn't expect your average anime to make. Let alone a children's anime. And I don't mean: "Oh the lovers get married and the show continues after their confession" or some crap like that.

How many anime characters can you name that are black and from Brazil? How many actual African anime characters can you name? That aren't stereotypes made for some cheap attempt at comedy?

Majin Bone does nothing for cheap shock value and manages to have a story with a genuine message without being pretentious.

It's a story about convincing not just a group of aliens that humanity is worth saving, but their god as well. I don't think I've ever seen a show where the villains and heroes actually make a genuine attempt at understanding one another.

Gundam shows wish they could have this level of human interaction.

There's no episode that one could describe as filler, or even a "slow arc". Every episode matters and has something worthwhile that works as a piece to Majin Bone's overall story.

It's a tragically overlooked masterpiece that was carefully put together. And it all came from some random mobile game that a studio was asked to make an anime for.

Say what you will about there being some beauty in Cross Ange being good at one point during its development cycle. To me, it will always sicken me that something like that gets openly celebrated, while something like Majin Bone is cursed to forever be ignored and labeled as this one show I keep talking about.

It's okay man. I wish everyone watched Person of Interest, but I accept that it's not to be.

ibyea

Banned
Nearly finished Season 3.

Oh I see, you have already seen a lot of the good stuff then. Yeah, in the end, the first season might be too slow for many people, not to mention the procedural nature of the show. A shame because I think the groundwork those episodes lay down are pretty important, and nearly every episode has something that will be called back.

I finished S2 of Attack on Titan. What now??? COME ON. COME THE FUCK ON. I ate dem sodes in less than a day. I'm glad that S3 is 2018 already, but this is...

The 4 year wait for the second season, completely took me out of it to the point, where I completely dejected S2. And now I watched it, and loved it, and now it's back to this waiting game. FCCCKKKKKKKK.

What I love about the show is just how surprising it is; I like not knowing where it goes. Every episode is like WTF??? But I am so close to just break down and read the manga. But I don't want to, because I know it will diminish my enjoyment of the anime. But at this rate, the anime is so hopelessly behind that it just seems hopeless.

Symphogear AXZ 10

ZjT8feB.jpg

folks this is it. the dumbest looking attack in symphogear history

I should watch Cross Ange some day...

And also
Glasslip :p

Don't watch
Glasslip
dude. I was so hyped and watched that show all the way through. It was not worth it. Only redeeming factor is the OP. Just watch that on Youtube.

It's okay man. I wish everyone watched Person of Interest, but I accept that it's not to be.

Person of Interest is actually interesting though...

What is the single greatest anime of all time?

Clannad After Story

Edit:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pNVDRR6U3hg

It's waaaaayyy back in the backlog though

How dare you use Chitanda in this instance!

...Masterful. But seriously, you don't need to watch it.

I'm not gonna lament that people choose to watch Sword Art Online over The Rose of Versailles because that's the guy who stands outside of a movie theater yelling at people going to see Transformers that they could see The Godfather instead, and nobody likes that guy. If its two similar things though that's different.

I have to be in the right mood for certain types of material. I am almost finished with Legend of the Galactic Heroes, a 110 episode epic. It took me almost twice as long to finish that then Gintama, a comedy shonen with triple the episodes. Now I'm not saying Gintama is bad or even inferior but its definitely easier to consume.

My case with Ojamajo Doremi

John Blade

What is the single greatest anime of all time?

Taboo Charming Mother
You all know it's true as you got to see the true love between the MC and his step mother and see this relationship blossom right to the end even trouble time. How's not that the best romantic anime of all time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

ApEfwSx.gif

Kenstar

How can people say Beyond the Boundary is bad when there's the masterful idols episode? How unpleasant.

wow you just triggered repressed memories of 'fuyukai desu'
Like if you had asked me the japanese word for unpleasant 1 minute ago I'd be all ¯\(°_o)/¯

Kenstar

The best anime of all time is ACTUALLY Gintama
Do you like action? we got samurai AND modern firearms
You like Dorama? Everyone is sad underneath their exteriors!
You like shipping? haha oh boy we got more shipping than a chinese freight harbor
you like pretty boys? We got DOZENS just ask DTL
You like pretty girls? We got like 5 bro dont sweat it

Joe Molotov

The best anime of all time is ACTUALLY Gintama
Do you like action? we got samurai AND modern firearms
You like Dorama? Everyone is sad underneath their exteriors!
You like shipping? haha oh boy we got more shipping than a chinese freight harbor
you like pretty boys? We got DOZENS just ask DTL
You like pretty girls? We got like 5 bro dont sweat it

You like aliens? We got those
in the first three episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom