• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
The second half of episode 6 was maybe the greatest moment in anime this year.

All that delicious build up!

The last five minutes are impeccable and then that final swerve.
CFLWFAh.png

ibyea

Banned
Blood Blockade Battlefront: 8-9
This show has comedy gold every time Zapp and Chain are involved. Holy crap episode 8 was especially funny. Episode 9 was great for a really well done action scene. They also finally showed what's up with Black and White.

Qurupeke

Kakegurui [END]
Lame ending, why would they put a Suzui episode for the series' finale? Kakegurui was, overall, of subpar quality, but I found it really enjoyable. Jabami was a unique protagonist and the show's over the top crazy faces were fantastic. A guilty pleasure, through and through.

Also, gambling is bad, don't do it.

Rymuth

Rage of Bahamut - Virgin Soul 23

Thus falls, Alessand. I wouldn't say he was an awful character, though. He was perfectly suited for what the writers intended...an irredeemable piece of shit for the audience to irrevocably hate. In an anime where all sides have a sympathetic side to them, that's pretty important I think.

Still, I had pegged Cerberus would be the one to kill him.

I just realized Welcome to the Ballroom spent an entire cour on what Haikyuu did in under 10 minutes.

This is an issue with the source material though not the anime.

But Haikyuu doesn't start very well either and doesn't become an interesting show until the whole team in assembled some episodes in. Haikyuu is not exactly the gold standard for how to start a sports/competitive show.

blurr

Kakegurui 11-12 END

What were they thinking with that ending after that episode 11?

I'm all for anime original content but man, what a waste of opportunity. I wish I could just overlook it but if I'm ever going to recommend or mention this show in the future the ending is going to stick out and I'll be pointing it out.

That said, this was a rich and vivid show that I am very glad I picked. Jabami's perverse obsession towards gambling is not hard to indulge in with the way it's presented, the choice to visualize it along the lines of someone aroused is not unseen when it comes to "obsession" towards something maybe. At this moment I can only think of Hisoka but I wouldn't be surprised if there were other examples. However Kakegurui from what I've seen goes much further than the rest. I had to turn down the audio hearing the shrieks of excitement over the towering risk. The lengths it goes are perhaps an exaggeration but that didn't stop me from at least momentarily playing along with that indulgence. Much like Suzui, the supposed audience surrogate, I've grown to admire and get influenced by Jabami. Risk is sexy.

There's still little we know about Jabami since the first episode so from a character writing perspective there's little for me to relate with her indulgence but whether it's the impressionable upclose facial moments or the audio-visual dramatization of its gambling sections or the undertones that add weight to them or a combination of all of them there's much the show achieves over one character trait that we know and juxtaposing it with a variation of it. Jabami confronts those who are afraid, proud, prepared, cunning, even abusively as obsessed as her and finally just as obsessed as her.

I found myself laughing hysterically at multiple moments in episode 11 and 12. It really reminded me of the time I played the first trial of Danganronpa 2.

Puruzi

Banned
But Haikyuu doesn't start very well either and doesn't become an interesting show until the whole team in assembled some episodes in. Haikyuu is not exactly the gold standard for how to start a sports/competitive show.
It doesn't start very well? The first episode did amazingly at making me want to watch more, thought it was great

Jarmel

Banned

I thought the Haikyuu start was excellent. The first episode establishes the main character and his rival very clearly from the get go and what makes them interesting characters. The shots with Hinata frustrated did a much better job than anything so far with Ballroom.
On top of that Ballroom has done a piss poor job fleshing out Tatara's relationship with the other dancers and only this episode felt like there was any sort of moving progress with Shizuku and Gaju. The first cour of Ballroom doesn't have any value because of the heavy focus on the competition, instead of on the characters, as it failed to either make the competition itself engaging or actually explain any of the dancing mechanics. I haven't learned jackshit about dancing from watching that entire cour other than you have to generally maintain your hold and your posture is key.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Princess Principal Episode 12:

Well then, that was a pretty fun season finale and indeed to the surprise of nobody this series is intended to have more then one season which makes sense because certain elements have gotten a build up with no pay off, like everything surrounding the Duke of Normandy. I do hope they get that season as this is currently my second from the top for AOTS.

blurr

Tsurezure Children 12 END

Me when I started the show: Oh cool just 12 minutes I can totally watch this.
Me now: In this world 12 minutes counts for NOTHING. You gotta be standard length at least. TELL US MORE ABOUT CHIAKI AND KANA.

What a wholesome anime.

Taruranto

Dive 12

I wanted to meme about Japanese cold, but then I realized diving with a cold is probably serious shiet.

This ended up being a surprisingly OK show, and not because of the half-naked dudes because they are kinda ugly and often looked like ken dolls anyway.

It's probably not a top-tier sport anime (Not to mention it was more focused on the drama) but I had a pleasant time with it, especially because it was really focused on developing the characters, even if the character development itself was nothing to write home about, the show featured a bunch of dudes with well defined personalities and goals. A lot of shows tend to forget to develop their characters, so when I see a show that loves and cares for its cast, I usually tend to be a bit biased and give it a a bit of free pass.

I thought the Haikyuu start was excellent. The first episode establishes the main character and his rival very clearly from the get go and what makes them interesting characters. The shots with Hinata frustrated did a much better job than anything so far with Ballroom.

Yeah, I definitely agree. HQ's start is pretty strong and the characters are instantly likeable.

Sterok

Princess Principal 12

That was rather uneventful. Back to the status quo, but now Zelda is a direct enemy while the Duke has a lead on Principal team. Assuming we get a season 2. Which it seemed to be setting up for, but nothing confirmed right now.

Pretty enjoyable overall once you accept this is an episodic cute spies do cute things show. Could've tightened up the plot at some points, but I liked this for the most part.

duckroll

Princess Principal - Episode 12 (End?)

See, I knew it. The entire final arc was a foil to lead in to another season. That explains why the last two episodes weren't even written by Okouchi. Lol.

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 33

Now starring Bibury. More cute mascots on the team. What point does Pekorin serve again? Bibury sure is a glutton. I guess she hasn't eaten sweets in awhile. And they did bring up her apparent age. That was funny. Ciel is still running her shop? While helping out at the Kira Pati? And school? She should be way too busy to be doing anything. Oh hey, they finally realized that they're literally baking power-ups for the enemy. Took them long enough. And Himari brings up that sweets really aren't a good thing for you. So we got some nice introspection this episode. Too bad there wasn't a good conclusion beyond sweets brought them together. At least address the points you brought up. Also new villain, but he's not hype yet.

Princess Principal END

Zelda best spy. Didn't think twice about putting a bullet in somebody. Princess is naive and stupid if she thinks the change she wants will come without bloodshed. I mean how many people has she had a hand in killing while a spy?

So I've come to realize that I watch enough subbed anime that a VRV subscription would actually be useful. Signed back up for it since there isn't really many Funimation titles that they don't have that I actually want to watch. Probably will give Claymore and Trigun a watch before my Funi account expires.

Only thing I don't like so far about VRV is the Roku interface is kind of ass. You basically have to already have added the series you plan to watch to your queue from your desktop because everything is kind of buried on their app.

In this corner of the wold

Damn this is a excellent film. Great source material and great adaptation.
The heroine is instantly likeable with her clumsiness and innocence, the story uses mainly SoL and a bit of humor but later it mixes perfectly drama and tragedy as the war grows in intensity and in closeness, but without falling in the easy cheap melodrama. The few times things get serious feel real, and earned, thanks on building well on the more calm first part of the movie.

That said, it reminded me strongly to the other 2 works I read of the same author. Similar setting, also a woman as main character, with the same type of personality, and similar tone too. But hey, she does it so well, so I will forgive the lack of innovation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom