• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Beverage |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
In my area of Japan, the go to summer drink is Mello Yello.

image_melloyello_oldlogo1.jpeg

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
rSpooky said:
So , on that Ancillary.. Does the tea have to be the icetea brew kind or any brew?I dont know what the difference is between them to be honest.

I'll give a quick primer: Iced tea is just tea that has been chilled via one of two methods.
1) A normal cup of tea (that is, 1 teaspoon of tealeaves to 1 cup of water) that has been put into the refrigerator and allowed to cool completely.
2) Double strength tea poured over iced (that is, 2 teaspoons of tealeaves to 1 cup of water or 1 teaspoon to 1/2 cup of water put into a drinking glass filled with ice cubes). Doing this allows you to make a quick iced tea at a moment's notice.

This is how I make the tea/juice combo so it's ready to drink quickly: My can of frozen juice concentrate wants me to reconstitute it using 6 cups of water. So, I brew 3, double strength cups of tea. Once I've brewed the tea, I pour it directly on top of the frozen juice concentrate, melting it and cooling the tea a little. Then I add 3 more cups of cold water to bring it up to the total 6 cups required. Follow those basic guidelines and you should be fine.

You can go ahead and using nothing but normal hot tea, but you'll have to chill it at some point for it to be enjoyable. Either before you add the fruit juice or after shouldn't matter. In this scenario, you'd just use 6 cups of tea.

Lastly, I suppose you could buy pre-made tea. Just make sure it is unsweetened, as that will probably make it way too sweet. In this scenario, you can use 6 cups of the already-brewed tea.

Hope that helps!

Make your own shandy:

Half a glass lemonade: I always use Simply Lemonade
Half a glass of beer: I like using Shiner Bock because I'm a Texan, darkish beers work well or lighter ales.

Drink.

-_-

Banned
Passion fruit bubble tea with lychee jelly (but it's a pain when you make everything from scratch)

Tuvoc

FunkyPajamas said:
I'm always partial to a good "Tinto de Verano" (Summer Red Wine), which I believe is from Spain.

u1m5l.jpg

It's basically a light sangria without all the fruit. It tastes good and it's easy to prepare (you don't have to spend all that time slicing/cutting up the apples/oranges/etc).

What type of red wine is recommended for this drink?

mooooose

Already posted but fucking ARNIES ARE THE SHIT. 99 CENT FOR A BIG FUCKING CAN!!!! COLD AND REFRESHING AND ONLY 150 CALORIES FOR THAT BIG ASS CAN. FUCKING AWESOME.

FUCKIN ARNIE PALMER

also ice water sucks the ice means less water and more annoyance trying to drink water around the ice goddam fugg dat shit

painey

Ryaaan14 said:
McDonalds' frozen strawberry lemonade has saved my summer.

1304028655329.png

I LOVE these. Such a treat to have something on an American menu that doesn't conform to the usual American way of being overly sweet. Worst thing I ever did was get a large though.. small or medium is perfect.

Tuvoc said:
What type of red wine is recommended for this drink?
You can find some more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinto_de_verano

But to directly answer your question: Tempranillo (a black grape from Spain) is used most. I guess you could replace it with Pinot Noir, and in my personal experience I've used Merlot when Tempranillo isn't available. It mostly depends on your personal preference for each strain, I guess.
spanishfood.about.com said:
It is not important what variety of red wine that you use in this cocktail. Our rule on wine punches and cocktails is this: If you wouldn’t want to drink the wine by itself in a glass, then don’t use it in a punch or cocktail. You don’t have to use your best wine, but using a decent table wine will prevent you from having a bad hangover.
http://spanishfood.about.com/od/drinks/r/tintodeverano.htm

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Ryaaan14 said:
McDonalds' frozen strawberry lemonade has saved my summer.

1304028655329.png

This is so damn good.

And that's coming from someone who thinks the rest of their menu is disgusting.

rSpooky

Thanks for the explanation on this. Might start with babysteps and brew tea from a bag first
And add that ;)

morningbus said:
I'll give a quick primer: Iced tea is just tea that has been chilled via one of two methods.
1) A normal cup of tea (that is, 1 teaspoon of tealeaves to 1 cup of water) that has been put into the refrigerator and allowed to cool completely.
2) Double strength tea poured over iced (that is, 2 teaspoons of tealeaves to 1 cup of water or 1 teaspoon to 1/2 cup of water put into a drinking glass filled with ice cubes). Doing this allows you to make a quick iced tea at a moment's notice.

This is how I make the tea/juice combo so it's ready to drink quickly: My can of frozen juice concentrate wants me to reconstitute it using 6 cups of water. So, I brew 3, double strength cups of tea. Once I've brewed the tea, I pour it directly on top of the frozen juice concentrate, melting it and cooling the tea a little. Then I add 3 more cups of cold water to bring it up to the total 6 cups required. Follow those basic guidelines and you should be fine.

You can go ahead and using nothing but normal hot tea, but you'll have to chill it at some point for it to be enjoyable. Either before you add the fruit juice or after shouldn't matter. In this scenario, you'd just use 6 cups of tea.

Lastly, I suppose you could buy pre-made tea. Just make sure it is unsweetened, as that will probably make it way too sweet. In this scenario, you can use 6 cups of the already-brewed tea.

Hope that helps!

gimz

allow me to bump this thread because its summer again!

This year Summer im having my own space and I'm preparing to invite lots of friends to my place over the summer and start making these delicious summer drinks!

I have always love sangria, but i'm willing to try something new and refreshing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom