• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2016 OT | July 3rd - July 10th | Gotta go fast!

KarmaCow

It's simple: they bring in a lot of donations.

Well that and I assume it's simpler for the tech/support crew to have a long run of a single game rather than 5+ games with separate setup situations in between when they're winding down and cleaning up.

jnWake

I always assumed they liked ending on something more relaxed so they pick JRPGs which are long and not super tense.

Super Metroid is a staple of the GDQs, especially with all the tech it shows. It's a great run to watch every time.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
it wouldn't feel right to not have super metroid run at a GDQ event, it's fast, fun, and shows off awesome tricks, what' s not to love

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I get bored of the same games again and again, to be honest. The runs that I really enjoyed were largely new categories or new games. I get that they have to do some of the old favourites, but I wish that along with Tetris they'd temporarily retire some of the other overplayed games. Think of how excited people got for Pepsiman this year!

Proposal:
- Set aside 1% of all donations (~10k+ a year)
- Distribute that money to runners who achieve significant gains in previously non-speedrun categories or games. Maybe pre-select the games, maybe just leave it open. Do a bounty system. Pay out $500 per game or $1000 per game or whatever. Stratify by genre or platform.

The marginal 1% of donations to the charity really don't do much, whereas they'd do a ton for producing new tech and R&D to generate more interesting runs next time around. Moreover, it's pretty likely that all-new, fresh content would drive up donations later, so I suspect you'd probably profit long term by doing this.

I know this undermines the 100% to charity thing, but I think it's an idea worth considering.

WaterAstro

I get bored of the same games again and again, to be honest. The runs that I really enjoyed were largely new categories or new games. I get that they have to do some of the old favourites, but I wish that along with Tetris they'd temporarily retire some of the other overplayed games. Think of how excited people got for Pepsiman this year!

Yeah, after two GDQs, I was already done with it.

Didn't even bother with this one.

Speevy

Banned
I would donate to a specialty runs block.

Dark Souls 1 health.
Phantom Dust single player
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter
Cubivore
Rule of Rose

Platy

Not sure about retire overplayed games but retire overplayed categories ... small any% for Mario World and 100% mario 3 run was awesome this year

Need more glitchless ones

Stoze

I kind of agree. Overall I think it gets better every year for the most part, and I think first time watchers will enjoy it just as much as I did a few years ago, but at its core its the same carnival that rarely gets new attractions. It's an awesome event, but it needs some extra juice for those of us who have been watching for years now.

I wouldn't go as far as calling things flat out shitty just because they are different or even worse this time around though.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Just out of personal bias, I always hope that at least one of the Metroid Prime games is there every year and I can't see them ever dropping Super Metroid. Pulls in too many donations and, well, I wouldn't want them to.

I would like to see more 90's era DOS stuff, and put my $20 this year toward adding Ultimate Doom. Sure, some flavor of Doom is in pretty much every marathon, but those games run fast and there's generally some cool new trick or commentator. Seeing Strife was neat - it's a game that always interested me back in the day but somehow never played.

But the JPRG stuff sometimes, woof. I know they have to fill time in spots, but when you have more than a few games that are taking 3-4 or more hours to run, my eyes just start glazing over.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Here's my sort of final "stuff actually worth going back to watch" list:

Demon's Souls
DKC: Tropical Freeze Race
Catherine Babel Mode <-- watch the first few minutes to see the concept of the run
BioShock <-- even though the runner cheats near the end.
Dishonored <-- this might be the technically most impressive run in the show so far.
Symphony of the Night Blindfolded
Guacamelee Gold <-- especially the final boss twist
Momodora One-Handed
Silent Hill 3
Resident Evil 2
Donkey Kong 64
DKC3 Race
Hook
Quackshot
Deus Ex <-- best commentary so far.
Max Payne 2 <-- to watch a run completely fail due to PC issues and have to reboot ten minutes later
Streemerz
Gimmick!
Tetris TGM <-- Skip TGM1 and the first race of TGM2. Skip again starting with the blindfolded play.
Two Worlds
The Witness <-- very relaxing
Pause Ahead <-- I'd never heard of this game but it's awesome totally recommended
Super Mario World Low% Small Mario <-- 15 year old doing the streaming
Super Mario Maker <-- maybe watch 5 minutes of this
Pepsiman
Pokemon Blue Reverse Badge Acquisition
TASBot Plays Super Mario Bros 1, 2, 3
TASBot Beats Super Mario Bros 3 in 2 seconds <-- skip the stuff that comes afterwards

I wouldn't go as far as calling things flat out shitty just because they are different or even worse this time around though.

Generally the show hasn't been shitty--there have been a lot of novel games or categories or new tech for old games, and a fair few entertaining commentaries. TAS Block was definitely shitty though. Actively disinteresting for most of the run, tons of setups, pass. If I could get rid of anything, though, it'd be blocks built around games that have super hardcore fanbases but no one cares at all outside the core fanbase (like the Sonic block or Mega Man ZX block). Maybe the solution is that I should just catch up on VODs afterwards and not worry so much about runs I have no interest in, but a huge part of this being exciting is the live, ongoing feeling since I can just watch anything be speedrun any time if I wanted to.

Just out of personal bias, I always hope that at least one of the Metroid Prime games is there every year and I can't see them ever dropping Super Metroid. Pulls in too many donations and, well, I wouldn't want them to.

I would like to see more 90's era DOS stuff, and put my $20 this year toward adding Ultimate Doom. Sure, some flavor of Doom is in pretty much every marathon, but those games run fast and there's generally some cool new trick or commentator. Seeing Strife was neat - it's a game that always interested me back in the day but somehow never played.

Strife was neat. I didn't really like the run but it was neat exposure to something I had missed at release. What an unusual set of modifications to the Doom engine.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
i do think they could cycle some of what they show a bit better, sure, i feel like the selection this year was a little underwhelming compared to others, not even accounting for series fatigue, but still plenty of entertainment to go around

Stoze

Generally the show hasn't been shitty--there have been a lot of novel games or categories or new tech for old games, and a fair few entertaining commentaries. TAS Block was definitely shitty though. Actively disinteresting for most of the run, tons of setups, pass. If I could get rid of anything, though, it'd be blocks built around games that have super hardcore fanbases but no one cares at all outside the core fanbase (like the Sonic block or Mega Man ZX block). Maybe the solution is that I should just catch up on VODs afterwards and not worry so much about runs I have no interest in, but a huge part of this being exciting is the live, ongoing feeling since I can just watch anything be speedrun any time if I wanted to.

Agree to disagree about the TAS block then, but yeah opinions of runs as a whole can be completely different watching live vs. later on the archive since you can skip through and catch all the great moments within minutes. Watching Mario Maker live with all the excitement definitely carried me through that segment, which I probably would've just skimmed through had I watched it on VOD.

I also generally leave it on as background noise 98% of the time and then flip it on when setups are done or I can tell something's getting interesting.

jett

D-Member
I think this run finally got interesting.

I remember doing a simpler version of this glitch back on my SNES twenty years ago, just using sketch on a vanished enemy I don't remember if I stumbled into it by accident or if I read about it online. Anyway, what I got was a BUNCH of items and weapons, although one time I FUBAR'd one my save slots.

painey

Proposal:
- Set aside 1% of all donations (~10k+ a year)
- Distribute that money to runners who achieve significant gains in previously non-speedrun categories or games. Maybe pre-select the games, maybe just leave it open. Do a bounty system. Pay out $500 per game or $1000 per game or whatever. Stratify by genre or platform.

The marginal 1% of donations to the charity really don't do much, whereas they'd do a ton for producing new tech and R&D to generate more interesting runs next time around. Moreover, it's pretty likely that all-new, fresh content would drive up donations later, so I suspect you'd probably profit long term by doing this.

I know this undermines the 100% to charity thing, but I think it's an idea worth considering.

Agree with a lot of this. IMO there should be a WR fund, and if you break a WR you get paid. I know SGDQ isn't for WR runs, but it would really amp up the tension.. which is what I personally enjoy the most.

Steejee

I found it pretty interesting from the start, but I love FFVI so I'm pretty easily amused by anything people do with it.

I had my own weird glitch/corruption as a kid where I ended up with 99 economizers (1MP for all spells), no idea how that happened. Game isn't super hard anyways so not like it made it extra easy, but it was fun going crazy with spells nonstop.

RE: general boredom - I missed about half of this years SGDQ, but I've really enjoyed what I've watched. For me it's a seven day, non-stop charity event. It won't all be amazing, or even good, but the effort is enough for me, especially for MSF. Much like the say Olympics, I'm not necessarily paying attention to all of it. I'll leave it on and waver in and out of paying attention, catching a great moment here and there.

On the one hand I'll get bored of the Mega Man block and don't give a damn about the Diablo 2 runs, on the other hand my wife and I are both laughing riotously at the Mario Maker race and staring at disbelief in the Pepsiman run. You take the good with the bad, and as long as people are having fun and sticking to great causes I'll give it my thumbs up and a large chunk of my yearly charity budget.

Edit: I do agree that I'd like to see some more 'go for broke' attempts - a few runs that really go for WR, damn the consequences. Works best for races obviously, as a failure doesn't kill it.

Missed all today so far, and it's looking like I'll miss the rest, too. Was kind of hoping to see the end, but oh well. I'll have a couple days of VODs queued up.

Didn't talk a whole lot, but it was great to have the GAF twitch chat there as an alternative to the normal cesspool.

Edit: Nice! Glad it hit 1mil.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Man, don't see them hitting that with Super Mario RPG being their closer, but I'll try to remain optimistic. Sure Super Metroid will pull in a fair chunk.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yea not sure about the SM64 4 way race. I know none of those names and I haven't paid attention to SM64 since Siglemic left it.

Could be good .. Could be bad, I have no idea.

Steejee

I like the idea of an extra incentive, but SM64 just doesn't excite me that much.

I thought she was going to say 'Bonus SMM Race', which would have been amazing. Something like another 5 map SMM race would have been perfect given how well SMM has dropped right into this event, and how awesome that game is in general for racing setups.

Sianos

Perhaps there will be a last second donation reading from Humble Bundle that adds the money raised from the start of the marathon to the rolling donation tracker to push things over the top if it's not looking close for the race?

Either way, I think the goal will end up being met! Wondershot!

Brashnir

Perhaps there will be a last second donation reading from Humble Bundle that adds the money raised from the start of the marathon to the rolling donation tracker to push things over the top if it's not looking close for the race?

Either way, I think the goal will end up being met! Wondershot!

They've done like 25k in the 10 minutes since the incentive was announced. They need to keep reminding people about it to get it, but I think it will get reached as well.

What did I miss?

Super Mario 64 70 star quad race as an encore IF they pass the total donations of last years, which is

Cm-ADJ8VIAArOuu.jpg

Oatsngoats is crushing it

It ain't even funny.

Top Bottom