• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer Y

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I have yet to come across a situation where a game would be in such limited supply.

I just reserve sometimes because I treat it as a form of layaway sans interest payments.
True, but I've had some instances where they didn't have enough, Anarchy Reigns and Persona 4 arena in my cases. Mostly niche games, but better safe than sorry.

I have no qualms against preordering. If I'm getting a game day one anyways, I'll preorder to get whatever free dumb stuff it comes with. Also if it is a game I dont think won't be regularly available later on I'll preorder as well.

The dumb stuff should be included within the game!

I hate that this gen can get away with cutting content out and hiding it/separating as DLC just to obtain more money. Capcom started this when their new IPs went into the shitter and had to rely on the established ones.

The dumb stuff should be included within the game!

I hate that this gen can get away with cutting content out and hiding it/separating as DLC just to obtain more money. Capcom started this when their new IPs went into the shitter and had to rely on the established ones.

I think he means physical stuff maybe like the persona cards and bop bag

Oberon

Banned
Preorder vs buying after release.

Go.

I only preordered Ultimax, and only because of the cards.

To reserve their copy of the game, I thought that's why it exists in the first place?

GY, can we delay the whole drawing thing a bit? I couldn't much in the last 4 days, and seems like the next week will be really busy for me.

(´・ω・`)

No but seriously, I would be too if it were someone that's been bugging me. I'd feel bad about no liking it but yeah. At least she's not trying to be malicious

I told her a million time to not touch the screen of a Computer! But she didn't listen!

True, but I've had some instances where they didn't have enough, Anarchy Reigns and Persona 4 arena in my cases. Mostly niche games, but better safe than sorry.

That I guess is a YMMV situation. Living in an area with more retailers that supply video games is much more beneficial in that respect.

Thank goodness for based Amazon and in store pick ups.

And even if that did happen, you can just buy digital anyway.

I'm not fully sold on a full digital future. There's ownership issues that conflict with consumer rights.

I think he means physical stuff maybe like the persona cards and bop bag

In that case, yes limited editions are awesome, but now it's digital content that should be in game items. I hate that because I bought the limited edition of TEW, I had a much easier time early game because of the included double barrel shotgun.

Zenfalcia

I know you're joking, but really, the guns argument just goes in circles and makes people upset. It comes down to what you value value more, security or freedom.

I'm just being naive that a bunch of nerds who play vidyas would not have strong opinion on the guns arguement. It really doesn't matter imo, as long as it's done safely.
Of course not. Everyone here is an intelligent, level-headed adult.

Of course. Only the most level headed gentlemen can talk about waifus, wrustling, anime, videogames, and other stuff in an orderly fashion.

I only preordered Ultimax, and only because of the cards.
Which is fine, because the cards are in finite supply. Preordering regular editions of games always seemed like your playing into the publishers grimy hands.

Of course, there are some inherent problems with day one editions and the like.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Then wait a day or two. It won't kill you. Plus, reviews will be out so you'll know if it's broken or not.

Or, I could just pre-order because it costs me nothing to do?

I've yet to run into a broken game at launch. I don't care for most AAA or Ubisoft games enough to buy them at launch.

Which is fine, because the cards are in finite supply. Preordering regular editions of games always seemed like your playing into the publishers grimy hands.

More like you're giving places like Gamestop and Best Buy and Amazon money/credit that they did not deserve/earn yet.

Gamestop to my knowledge also deposits cash deposits into an interest bearing acct.

They're making money off of our money man.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
More like you're giving places like Gamestop and Best Buy and Amazon money/credit that they did not deserve/earn yet.

Gamestop to my knowledge also deposits cash deposits into an interest bearing acct.

They're making money off of our money man.

I rarely pre-order anything where a deposit is required. It costs me nothing to pre-order almost everything I want.

Or, I could just pre-order because it costs me nothing to do?

I've yet to run into a broken game at launch. I don't care for most AAA or Ubisoft games enough to buy them at launch.
But that'll still encourage companies to push pre orders and carve out content for pre order bonuses/day one dlc.

Gamer Y

GY, can we delay the whole drawing thing a bit? I couldn't much in the last 4 days, and seems like the next week will be really busy for me.
I suppose, I wonder if ShakuganSan has done anything? I didn't do much either, I was just going to show the various works I started.

That I guess is a YMMV situation. Living in an area with more retailers that supply video games is much more beneficial in that respect.

Thank goodness for based Amazon and in store pick ups.

I'm not fully sold on a full digital future. There's ownership issues that conflict with consumer rights.
Never used Amazon before a half a month ago, how is it?

Then wait a day or two. It won't kill you. Plus, reviews will be out so you'll know if it's broken or not.

You can always return it or cancel the preorder day of. I can understand both sides and understand why people don't preorder. I don't understand why it upsets people when others preorder.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I don't pre-order from Gamestop.

I pre-order from places like Amazon or Best Buy online, where they may take a marginal authorization charge for a short time and then return it. You could argue opportunity cost or something with my credit line, but that's a stretch.

It will if we stop. And like I said, physical bonuses are fine. I just hate digital bonuses.

It won't because we won't stop. You will stop. Or I will stop. We won't be doing anything.

That said, vote with your wallet. I fully support everyone to do so. I think selective pre-ordering is just as effective as boycotting pre-orders as a whole.

I don't pre-order from Gamestop.

I pre-order from places like Amazon or Best Buy online, where they may take a marginal authorization charge for a short time and then return it.

Hm, I wonder if I can do that at Gamestop.

Iunno. I'm just saying what I think needs to be done. I don't have a clue how to go about it.

It's easy to say things like that. It's harder to convince people of how they may lose ownership of digital games in the immediate future. PS Now so far is indicating an all online future. I'm not all for full digital, always online streaming option.

I've used and tested Onlive at beta. Wrote some reports for their service and the internet infrastructure is not there yet to handle significant traffic or to convince people that streaming videos games is a better option than buying physical.

360pages

Oh, an outlet store was Selling Fallout 1/2 and Sam and Max games for super cheap. If I get in some cash I might by some Sam and Max games.

Skrams

Why would anyone pre order nowadays anyway? Especially after colonial marines, watch dogs, and ac unity? It seems waaay stupid anymore.

If you trust the dev and acknowledge the risk to get it ASAP, it's fine. You just have to exercise common sense.

I see no problem preordering games like Bayonetta 2 and Smash on Wiiu because nintendo doesn't release broken games. I also preorder anything SMT related. But you won't see me buying a ubisoft title anytime soon

If the developer has a good track record then I don't see an issue with pre-ordering.

I only pre order things from devs that I trust. The only things that I pre ordered recently were PQ and Ultimax because I knew I would play them.

Also because Nintendo titles don't drop in price, because they only produce so much of a product.

All of these are reasons I wanted to say. I currently plan on preordering Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Bloodborne, and DMC4 SE. At least for the first half of 2015. I also have htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary CE already preordered. It's also nice since Best Buy gives me release day shipping for free because the Gamer's Club Unlocked bonus thing they have.

I have yet to come across a situation where a game would be in such limited supply.

You're usually right, but limited usually means limited for a lot of niche games. When I say niche I'm thinking of the Danganronpa LE's or Ys LE's or every other japanese game with a publisher like Atlus or XSEED. Obviously an LE for something like a Halo isn't limited at all.

Some people prefer physical.

This too. I have shit internet and want to save room where I can on my devices. I'll go digital if the sale is good enough or if physical is hard to acquire, but I'll always go physical if it's around the same price.

I don't ever buy Ubisoft or bigger games on release, so I rarely run into this problem. I trust FromSoft enough to not release Bloodborne dead on arrival.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hm, I wonder if I can do that at Gamestop.

No. You can't. Gamestop's entire model is based around a $5 deposit or more for your games. That's why I don't pre-order there unless there's an exclusive.

Have you seriously never pre-ordered anything online? Most retailers don't keep your funds. Most just do a quick check to make sure you have credit, then they charge you once they ship the game.

I can then cancel anything by clicking a button. It couldn't be easier.

Gamer Y

Oh. Well, most of my games get to me right on time. Only issue I had was omega ruby. Took a week longer than they said.
I might have to start pre-ordering online for nintendo games, maybe sony games, I'm not sure when they release games. I'm usually out on errands for Xbox releases.

No. You can't. Gamestop's entire model is based around a $5 deposit or more for your games. That's why I don't pre-order there unless there's an exclusive.

Have you seriously never pre-ordered anything online? Most retailers don't keep your funds. Most just do a quick check to make sure you have credit, then they charge you once they ship the game.

I can then cancel anything by clicking a button. It couldn't be easier.

I don't preorder often. I haven't tried to online. I have an aversion to buying pre owned online because I can't see what I'm getting until after the payment and shipment of the game is said and done.

It didn't occur to me that there would be video game shortages I guess until I learned about Retsupurae/the Best Friends and importing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom