• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Liam ever said his thoughts on Order of Ecclesia? I'm pretty far in (
Dracula's Castle
)and I think it might be my favorite aside from AoS, though I've never played SoTN. I enjoy the smaller singular dungeons, but I'm sure this was a negative to some people.

The artstyle is fantastic and Shanoa is probably my favorite character design in Castlevania.

demidar

Has Liam ever said his thoughts on Order of Ecclesia? I'm pretty far in (
Dracula's Castle
)and I think it might be my favorite aside from AoS, though I've never played SoTN. I enjoy the smaller singular dungeons, but I'm sure this was a negative to some people.

The artstyle is fantastic and Shanoa is probably my favorite character design in Castlevania.

I think he said it's the best handheld Castlevania but don't quote me on that.

Oberon

Banned
I think Starfox is my favorite current LP, since it's kind of not great, but Liam is there so he'll lighten the mood a bit.

edit: so many new faces @_@

NeonBlack

I think at this point Woolie is just 100% salt.

pdZFiYm.gif

Numb

I can't wait till 4 just to see how bad Pat is in comparison even though he claims its his favorite game ever and he's amazing at it.
He might have been but never like these guys are amazing.
Pat might not be lying...if he played it years ago before his powers faded and Liam sucked the rest of it out by being near him.

Pretty sure the speedrun community for RE3 is actually relatively new, so it's unlikely Pat knows any significant speedrun strats. Not that it's really the goal, anyway; it's fine in Castlevania because there's a lot of nothing to talk through otherwise, but Matt and Pat probably have more to say about RE3 than they could squeeze into an hour of speedrun, anyway.

For the podcast or some videos in particular?

Just today's mystery box, turns out the mixing was just bad with the mic recording mainly on left and the game mainly on right, or it seemed like that anyway. Speaking of the podcast though, Woolie said that he compressed that audio into mono or something to save on space so what kind of data cap do they have then? Sureely if they can make 4 hour podcasts it can't be that low?
I like the old audio

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Pretty sure the speedrun community for RE3 is actually relatively new, so it's unlikely Pat knows any significant speedrun strats. Not that it's really the goal, anyway; it's fine in Castlevania because there's a lot of nothing to talk through otherwise, but Matt and Pat probably have more to say about RE3 than they could squeeze into an hour of speedrun, anyway.

Even if the RE3 community had been around for a while, no one is expecting speed run times, strats, or mastery in these playthroughs, except maybe the odd example by Liam. It's fine.

Zenfalcia

Just today's mystery box, turns out the mixing was just bad with the mic recording mainly on left and the game mainly on right, or it seemed like that anyway. Speaking of the podcast though, Woolie said that he compressed that audio into mono or something to save on space so what kind of data cap do they have then? Sureely if they can make 4 hour podcasts it can't be that low?
I like the old audio
Yeah, the mixing was weird for the mystery box video. Yes he did compress it into mono. The podcasts used to be about 150MB per podcast and now it's about 70-90. It was just a suggestion from an emailer to make the file size smaller not too much about saving data. It's fine, the current audio still gives us "quality" auditory content at a new lower size.

Zenfalcia

Nah, these guys hate RE, that's why they want to get it over with quick. Like ripping off a band-aid.
You're saying Pat loves it so much he intentionally screws up to lengthen the playthrough? I knew it! Those 4 tries against the nemesis were intentional! He must really love the game then.

Numb

RE4 in an hour 45. Wish the guys did
tried
speedruns. It would probably be only Liam with a weird never heard of GBA game.

RE4 in an hour 45. Wish the guys did
tried
speedruns. It would probably be only Liam with a weird never heard of GBA game.

Didn't Liam say he did Aria of Sorrow speedruns? Or was I just imagining that and he was just talking about speedruns in the LP?

Numb

Didn't Liam say he did Aria of Sorrow speedruns? Or was I just imagining that and he was just talking about speedruns in the LP?

Or was it Zero mission? Something about finishing it during his bus rides each time.
He mentioned speedrunning more than once i think.

He looked up speedruns for that playthrough to find tricks/exploits to show off, mostly, though he wasn't (strictly speaking) speedrunning it himself. Though, he probably could have if that had been the intention, and he did beat it much, much faster than a normal playthrough, obviously.

He didn't actually use any of the speedrun skips if I remember right, he just showed them off and then reverted to saves where he hadn't used them, and continued (semi-)normally.

MrHoot

The whole mystery box deception was just too good. It made me giggle maddly for the first few minutes, hearing Woolie's downfall

As far as Woolie's argument against pat in the podcast. I kinda get it but I also think the whole "the background distracts me" to be slightly overblown by some players. Like it was pointed out, some guilty gear player don't have a boring ass training arena and still manage fine with their frame by frame precision. I'm guessing yes you could ban some stages if they're too visually busy but hell, always the random IS boring.

Woolie is totally right though that, like other sports events, it's more about the competitors proving their skills than it is for the spectacle (it's an added bonus). Although even in NBA, they have different courts and it's almost a thing for the public to disconcert players when they're on foul shots.

I've actually played the old PC drakan game. I enjoyed it quite a bit back then even thoughi t's really just Lara Croft with a sword and a dragon. It was way less open tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom