• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land videos

AniHawk

Thunder Monkey said:
For a figment of my imagination, you sure are aggressive.

wait if we can see the figment of your imagination, does that mean we're a figment of your imagination, like some sort of st elsewhere deal?

AniHawk said:
wait if we can see the figment of your imagination, does that mean we're a figment of your imagination, like some sort of st elsewhere deal?
I hope so.

If you're a figment of my imagination then I'm kind of witty.

Mael

loosus said:
Sounds like quite a few people are unaware of some of the shittiness in Nintendo's games. Maybe it's some sorta repressive issue after being diehard Nintendo fans for so long.
loosus
has finally stopped feigning literacy

Brera

Banned
This thread was going great. Lots of Super Mario Bros 3 and World banter, discussions over the cape breaking SMW etc.

Then some fucker brought up NSMBWii. GTFO!

Brera said:
Then some fucker brought up NSMBWii. GTFO!
wow so edgy

Also I was expecting the P-Wing to let you fly over the stage while spamming 'A' instead of just teleporting you to the flag pole. :(

RagnarokX

Futureman said:
from what I remember, and from what people say on here, NSMB DS was wayyy to easy.

I hope the fact that they are including a Super Guide with this one means they will leave the actual levels with challenge intact.
Well NSMBWii wasn't too easy. Super Guide is basically Nintendo's awesome solution to the problem of wanting a game to be accessible to everyone without alienating the core.

Haven't been following modern video game culture lately but what is it with all those easy games coming out these days? Are tough challenges considered uncool now?

GreggTheGrimReaper said:
Haven't been following modern video game culture lately but what is it with all those easy games coming out these days? Are tough challenges considered uncool now?

Uh, wrong thread?

GreggTheGrimReaper said:
moms... and grandparents...

GreggTheGrimReaper said:

examples? Difficulty is in the eye of the behold. But generally developers/publishers want to make games that are "accessible" to casual people in way that doesn't make them give up and return the game after the first level/stage/whatever.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oli said:
I see what you did... There... ? Er.. Yep.

KuGsj.gif
That was actually a mistake.

Oli

Andrex said:
KuGsj.gif
That was actually a mistake.

Hey what? The laughing smileys are back!

:D!

(edit... NOoooooOOoo)

Umm, what now... Anyway yeah I figured it was a mistake but considering the whole 3D thing with this platform it totally flew.

DoomXploder7 said:
examples? Difficulty is in the eye of the behold. But generally developers/publishers want to make games that are "accessible" to casual people in way that doesn't make them give up and return the game after the first level/stage/whatever.

I was just wondering while reading through this thread where people were discussing some super god mode which activates itself after you've lost 5 lifes or so. Unfortunately I haven't been playing a Mario game since NSMBDS which already suffered from being too easy.

GreggTheGrimReaper said:
I was just wondering while reading through this thread where people were discussing some super god mode which activates itself after you've lost 5 lifes or so. Unfortunately I haven't been playing a Mario game since NSMBDS which already suffered from being too easy.

It's the Super Guide, which gives you the option of letting the game show you the rest of the way through the level if you're having a particularly difficult time with it. Completely optional, and you can indeed ignore it if you wish. It's been in every other first-party Nintendo title since NSMBWii in 2009.

Boney

Banned
GreggTheGrimReaper said:
nsmbwii has a cpu which clears the stage from you and you can take control at anytime. This allowed nsmbwii to actually be challenging.

This one has a white tanooki suit that's like invincible.

Emitan

Oli said:
Hey what? The laughing smileys are back!
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

You jealous?

Can't wait for people to complain about the P-Wing. IT'S OPTIONAL PEOPLE. And I assume it only comes up if you've died a lot.

Boney said:
nsmbwii has a cpu which clears the stage from you and you can take control at anytime. This allowed nsmbwii to actually be challenging.

This one has a white tanooki suit that's like invincible.
What happens when you fall?

Jetku

Billychu said:
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

You jealous?

Can't wait for people to complain about the P-Wing. IT'S OPTIONAL PEOPLE. And I assume it only comes up if you've died a lot.

What happens when you fall?
You die.

The stanooki suit comes after 5 deaths. The p-wing comes after 10.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just a heads up, I'm already waste-deep in making the official thread for this.

So I don't want anybody stealing it like Copernicus stole my Android OT. >:|

But that wasn't really his fault. :p

Thinking of posting it the same day as the Generations thread. :3 Or on November 1 when Generations comes out.

Jetku said:
You die.

The stanooki suit comes after 5 deaths. The p-wing comes after 10.

Ah, this is valuable information...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
To anyone who's played the demo: On a scale of 1-10, would you guys say this is a 5 or a 6?

AniHawk

Oblivion said:
To anyone who's played the demo: On a scale of 1-10, would you guys say this is a 5 or a 6?

probably a 5 for me. the controls are bad, and the levels weren't very interesting.

Oblivion said:

Have you seen the video posted on the eShop recently? None of the levels in the demo are as cool as whats in that video. But the demo is good enough to give you a good idea of how well it could play and look. The best level is the one with flipping green panels imo... and some of the nicest moments are when you go down a pipe or hit a warp block and are confronted with some kind of quick puzzle. 7/10 demo, but it illustrates the game has the potential to be 10/10.

Wolfe

radioheadrule83 said:
Have you seen the video posted on the eShop recently? None of the levels in the demo are as cool as whats in that video. But the demo is good enough to give you a good idea of how well it could play and look. The best level is the one with flipping green panels imo... and some of the nicest moments are when you go down a pipe or hit a warp block and are confronted with some kind of quick puzzle. 7/10 demo, but it illustrates the game has the potential to be 10/10.

I agree with this.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah the flipping green panel level was the best as it actually had a hint of challenge. The airship was fun but felt really short, to the point it made levels in SMB3 feel long.

Amir0x

Banned
Played this at NYCC. I am reaaaally not feeling it at all. It's the first time I've been put off by a Mario platforming game in forever. Not even NSMB/NSMB Wii elicited such a strong turn off response. I didn't think the problems which were so apparent in videos and such would actually turn me off and make me disinterested, but when I'm playing it... it really kinda DID.

I'm trying not to fault its difficulty because clearly they're showing off easy areas, but the level design was low grade C developer quality stuff in the area I played and the controls were easily the worst in any Mario game since.... since... to tell you the truth this is the worst feeling Mario momentum/control feel I can remember.

I am really not sure what to think now. This was to be the first 3DS game I really wanted without being coerced at all by a complete lack of library possibilities, but I hope it becomes magical in the later worlds because right now D:

Kurdel

Banned
Playing Super Mario Land 2 for the first time in years gave me some perspective.

Slow, weird, oddly vertical are staples in the "Land" franchise. Expecting it to be a regular/fast Mario game is normal, but unfair in the context of a "Land" game.

Anyways, the only drawback for me is the pop-in of objects in some videos. Otherwise, my dusty 3DS is ready.

Amir0x

Banned
Kurdel said:
Playing Super Mario Land 2 for the first time in years gave me some perspective.

Slow, weird, oddly vertical are staples in the "Land" franchise. Expecting it to be a regular/fast Mario game is normal, but unfair in the context of a "Land" game.

Anyways, the only drawback for me is the pop-in of objects in some videos. Otherwise, my dusty 3DS is ready.

it's no surprise then that the Land is easily the worst Mario platforming series of games in the entire franchise

why they'd use that for inspiration in the first place would be a clue

it really is like a weird mixture of Land, Galaxy and SMB3, but with seriously bottom tier Mario controls and just weird compartmentalized levels which seem extremely simple, almost uncharacteristically anti-Nintendo in a way. There didn't seem to be any cleverness on display. All the ideas seemed gimped from Galaxy artistically or 3 gameplay wise, with here or there some concept that is merely an expanded version of something that already came in a more recent Mario game. But with the controls/speed the way it is, it is missing the "boundless joy" feeling that the best Mario games have. That control and momentum so perfectly balanced and honed that you practically feel like you could conceivably analog silk your way out of the game screen with the right timed bit of acrobatics. Not so here, it's a huge step back

Top Bottom