• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land videos

Dr.Hadji said:
Exactly the reason why SM3 > World.
oBS8u.gif

RagnarokX

But Super Mario Bros 3 IS the best 2D Mario game... at least it was until New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Female Boom Boom has a boomerang too.

Also, the GBA version of SMB3 had e-reader cards that gave you boomerang bros that threw blue boomerangs. You could grab these blue boomerangs and use them. I don't know if they ever released those in the US, though.

Dr.Hadji

RagnarokX said:
But Super Mario Bros 3 IS the best 2D Mario game... at least it was until New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Watch out. You don't want to end up in a box like that cat. Its not big enough for two of us.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
RagnarokX said:
Super Mario Bros. 3 used to be the second best 2D Mario game, after World of course.

Electivirus said:
But he's right. :D
New Super Mario Bros Wii isn't even compelling enough for me to get past world 3 -_- Utter blasphemy. Bland art, meh music, meh controls. Eh...

agrajag said:
What? There are people hatin' on the cape? What?
It's fun to use and I do enjoy it, but it's a double edge sword. And one of key reasons I hold SMW in lower regard than its superior predecessor.

Rehynn said:
I know, and I can't wait to play it, but I'm talking about SNES-era Square-and-Nintendo-making-love-and-coming-up-with-isometric-RPG-goodness Mario RPG.

It's only a matter of time before someone at Nintendo crunches the numbers and figures out how many more copies they could sell by announcing Paper Mallow and Paper Geno in the next Paper Mario.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Magicpaint said:
New Super Mario Bros Wii isn't even compelling enough for me to get past world 3 -_- Utter blasphemy. Bland art, meh music, meh controls. Eh...

None of those things are as important as the level design, which NSMBW does very well.

And unlike the bite size chunks in SMB3, levels in NSMBW are actually fairly meaty too.

Emitan

Jorok Goldblade said:
It's only a matter of time before someone at Nintendo crunches the numbers and figures out how many more copies they could sell by announcing Paper Mallow and Paper Geno in the next Paper Mario.
Owned by Square. Not saying they couldn't, but they'd need permission from Square like they did with M&L for Geno being in.

Lijik

I hope theres not too much overhead full-on sprint sections.
The one in the trailer looked like something a java cellphone platformer would pull, not what you'd expect from a Mario game.

Andrex said:
None of those things are as important as the level design, which NSMBW does very well.

And unlike the bite size chunks in SMB3, levels in NSMBW are actually fairly meaty too.
They aren't but they contribute to the overall package. When you have other Mario games checking all the boxes then I can't see how NSMB Wii deserves to be crowned. It doesn't satisfy all the requirements IMO and the intial levels are bland as hell.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You said you didn't get past World 3?

Then yeah. You should play some more of it.

Gravijah

i see the people with good opinions are defending smws honor

too bad it itself is the second best mario platformer... after yoshi's island.

Gravijah said:

Doesn't count

EDIT:
Doesn't matter even if it did :p

Emitan

Gravijah said:

The Yoshi games are separate, dood.

Ummm... all of them have been good.

The worst Mario is still better than pretty much every other platformer.

I do enjoy SMB3 above the others... but I really got into gaming in the NES gen. And SMB3 seemed like it was running on entirely different hardware than SMB.

I can see why someone would love SMW over it.

I have to redo one thing. SMB3 was my favorite until NSMBWii.

That one is freaking terrific alone, but on an entirely different field when you're playing with a few more people. A couple of friends I've had since High School, my brother, and I try to get together every Friday night.

We play fighters, and NSMBWii pretty much every time. Occasionally go karting.

I really love NSMBWii.

3D Land scares me though. Some parts look freaking awesome. A handheld game that looks more than a little like SMG? HAWT!

Other parts don't instill much confidence. It looks pretty slow paced for a Mario, and levels seem to be really short.

Still... EAD Tokyo.

I'd have to be an idiot to say they can't make a badass Mario.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
nsmbw flaws:

good, not great, music
a very boring art style
a LOT of boring stages
think the first 2 worlds are really bland, with 3 being okayish.

Swamp land is hideous as well.

But boy, the rest is just pure gold.

BowieZ

Banned
If the first worlds of NSMBWii are bland, then the first few worlds of SMB3/SMW are even blander.

I swear some of you are just insanely swayed by your hatred for the art style. Shame.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (aka Super Mario: Yossy Island) is a better Mario game than all of them.

Gravijah

BowieZ said:
If the first worlds of NSMBWii are bland, then the first few worlds of SMB3/SMW are even blander.

I swear some of you are just insanely swayed by your hatred for the art style. Shame.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (aka Super Mario: Yossy Island) is a better Mario game than all of them.

no, in smw you start on a tropical island with awesome stuff. in smb3 the first world has all kinds of weird scenery.

Ranger X

You guys are late in the news, for the non nostalgia driven people with great taste it's...

1- NSMBW
2- SMB3
3- SMBW

You can also take "NSMBW" for "new super mario bros world" if ever it makes you like it more. :p

I think the SMB3 vs World question that is in every fucking Mario thread is actually debatable. No true answer will ever come out.

Ranger X said:
You guys are late in the news, for the non nostalgia driven people with great taste it's...

- NSMBW
- SMB3
- SMBW

You can also take "NSMBW" for "new super mario bros world" if ever it makes you like it more. :p

I think the SMB3 vs World question that is is every fucking Mario thread is actually debatable. No true answer will ever come out.
I agree with your spoiler.

Both are awesome games. It just comes down to which imprinted sooner methinks. I nostalgia hard when I think of the Frog suit or the Boot.

GooeyHeat

Super Mario Galaxy is the best 2D Mario game. But aren't we here to talk about these videos of the first 3D Mario game?

BowieZ

Banned
I'm pretty sure Kuribo's Shoe will be in this game.

Maybe you'll have to collect all the star coins to unlock it.

PKrockin

Electivirus said:
It does? All I can remember are those hills in the background...

The first level has a wooden floor and all those weird blocks that seem to be screwed into the backdrop and the unnatural bushes. It looks artificial.

The second level is all green, rolling hills with slopes and valleys everywhere.

The third level looks basically the same as the first.

The fourth level is basically composed entirely of bricks, flying wooden platforms, and spiral clouds in the background.

The fifth level is some kind of snowy/white underground half-flooded cavern.

Finally the sixth level is a bunch of wooden platforms that are suspended from the unseen ceiling, held in the air by pillars, or attached to the background on wires.

Top Bottom