• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land videos

The speed of the game is kind of turning me off. I actually kind of feel bored, when I watch these videos. I'm sure it'll play better than it looks, but I just can't get over how slow it moves.

Michan

mclem said:
Super-Mario-3D-Land-Screenshot-7.jpg

The Goomba Happy Ending Suit.
Oh god.

The position of Mario's hand. The expression on Goomba's face. The sparkles. The rainbows.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EatChildren said:
I still feel the digital controls are completely stupid and do more harm than good, but the latest trailers look excellent, so I'm still pumped to hell.

This and Skyward Sword are my only two 'must have' titles for the end of the year.

You and me both bro.

Sonic Gen and Rayman Origins are on a lower level of want. Maybe Kirby too.

Oh and Mario Kart.

Oh and The Old Republic...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EatChildren said:
Xenoblade is in many ways the anti-JRPG, or at least the anti-modern JRPG. It has the vibe of a classic SNES/PS1 era JRPG, yet with all the modern conventions and luxuries we expect on modern games yet few of the genre seem to deliver. It's utterly sublime and one of the best games I've played this generation, and I normally loath JRPGs.

Is that why duckroll hates it? :p

Busaiku said:
It's not limited to 8 directions though, just has a run button.

No, it is.

dwu8991

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
The speed of the game is kind of turning me off. I actually kind of feel bored, when I watch these videos. I'm sure it'll play better than it looks, but I just can't get over how slow it moves.

It's ment to be slower paced because they are showing of the 3D. It has more in common with Zelda game than your traditional Mario game.

SmokyDave

Still not feeling this one. I watched the eshop trailer (and OP vids) and was totally underwhelmed. I think I just want NSMB3D.

Willy105 said:
No reason for this to have digital controls.
As much as I like the 3DS slide pad, it doesn't have quite the fidelity of a full analog stick when slowing trying to move it.

Having played through Star Fox 3D several times now it is very noticeable when trying to carefully lock on to an enemy in the middle of a group.

I quite enjoyed playing both Mario 64 DS and the Super Monkey Ball game for the GBA due to them allowing for more precise movement/tilting control through digital controls. Having a slide pad AND digital controls for speed is going to allow for more precise controls than it would otherwise be capable of in my opinion.

WillyFive

Rodney McKay said:
As much as I like the 3DS slide pad, it doesn't have quite the fidelity of a full analog stick when slowing trying to move it.

Having played through Star Fox 3D several times now it is very noticeable when trying to carefully lock on to an enemy in the middle of a group.

I quite enjoyed playing both Mario 64 DS and the Super Monkey Ball game for the GBA due to them allowing for more precise movement/tilting control through digital controls. Having a slide pad AND digital controls for speed is going to allow for more precise controls than it would otherwise be capable of in my opinion.

Sure, having a choice is great. Smash Bros for instance plays much better with a D-Pad than an Analog Stick.

But even if you use the analog stick here, you still have use the limitations of digital controls.

krumble

I'd love this game even if it wasn't blessed with the magic of the 3D depth
looks like a solid Mario entry to me (someone who may not have many posts on here but has been playing nintendo since the 80's)

Andrex said:
Never noticed it but I guess you could still be Fire or Tanooki Mario with the Propeller hat on so that's nice.

How many powerups have we had confirmed, BTW? We have Tanooki Leaf, Fire Flower, Invincibility Leaf, Propeller Hat, and P-Wing. I think there will be a few more power-ups considering the 2D Marios and the Galaxy games tend to have more. While I doubt it, I hope the Cloud Flower and Ice Flower are back. I liked the Ice Flower in Galaxy/NSMB Wii and I thought the Cloud Flower was the best powerup in the Galaxy games.

Anasui Kishibe said:
what do I have to see? Seems like it's 56 to me
One is a Toad's house which is usually a minigame and/or Powerup and life giveaway station. However, since most recent Mario games tend to have a secret world/level after you beat the game there might be more.

edit: beaten.

Hypatia

mclem said:
You are on a large plain. Exits lead East.
> EAST
The plain continues, with some bricks overhead; one of the bricks has a question mark on it.

There is A Goomba here.
> STOMP GOOMBA
You jump up, but hit your head on the bricks, coming down sooner than you expect, you land right next to the goomba, who instantly devours you.

*** YOU HAVE DIED ***
RESTORE, RESTART or QUIT?
>

I would so play this.

Also digital control is disappointing as hell. Ah well...

Berordn

Do we know if every world has the same number of levels? If it's really following in SMB3's footsteps the last few worlds should be gigantic, at least compared to the first ones.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Berordn said:
Do we know if every world has the same number of levels? If it's really following in SMB3's footsteps the last few worlds should be gigantic, at least compared to the first ones.
Later maps might have scrolling on the lower screen to allow for more levels.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Jocchan said:
Later maps might have scrolling on the lower screen to allow for more levels.

I'm more inclined to expect two rows of dots. It looks like there's room for the line to move up, and have a second one beneath it.

AniHawk said:
i'm going to keep my fingers crossed that this thing isn't too hard to find in early 2012. kinda want a guaranteed run of skyward sword and rayman before i potentially fuck up my system (because that's the sort of thing i would just happen to do).
You'd have to be monumentally stupid for that to happen.

Are you monumentally stupid?

Chet Rippo said:
Reminds me more of Mario to be quite honest.
LOLLL

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Tathanen said:
I'm more inclined to expect two rows of dots. It looks like there's room for the line to move up, and have a second one beneath it.
Not sure because of the way the upper screen is set up: it doesn't seem to allow for more than one horizontal line, so using two for the lower screen while the upper screen has only one wouldn't probably be as intuitive as simple scrolling (exactly like the top screen). You don't really need to see the whole map at once, after all.

Of course, all this IF there are bigger worlds.

GDGF

Soothsayer
mclem said:
You are on a large plain. Exits lead East.
> EAST
The plain continues, with some bricks overhead; one of the bricks has a question mark on it.

There is A Goomba here.
> STOMP GOOMBA
You jump up, but hit your head on the bricks, coming down sooner than you expect, you land right next to the goomba, who instantly devours you.

*** YOU HAVE DIED ***
RESTORE, RESTART or QUIT?
>

Awesome :)

I like the look of these dense, colorful levels, and the 3D should be some of the best on the 3DS so far. I still don't even own the system for this, but the library of games is already building up quite nicely.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
[Nintex] said:
I'm going to take a wild guess on your list:

1. Rayman Origins
2. Sonic Generations
3. Super Mario 3D Land
What would be the alternative? there are only those and Kirbys Adventure or have I missed any? Nevertheless, it's great, that
1) there are 4-5 (depending on if you count both versions of Sonic seperately) platformers this year
2) 3 of those (Sonic Generations 360, Mario, Rayman) are already guaranteed to be top-notch with the remaining ones having a great chance to be great, too.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Big One said:
Hope we get branching paths on that map.

Now THAT I could see happening. We certainly have precedent for secret exits, a line could extend down from a level into the aforementioned theoretical second row just for a level or two.

And those star coins have gotta unlock SOMETHING, be it secret levels in worlds, or a NSMBW-esque final world.

Top Bottom