• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Timu

ibsGpMAd1JLDvW.JPG

I'll play it when I get the Wii U in February.

dkeane

Got this at release but have been taking my sweet time. This game has so much content. It just keeps going and going. I love it!

spekkeh

Banned
I miss my damn Triple Jump, and the spin should have been mapped to the bumpers... Why the hell would Nintendo remove the Triple Jump?

Anyway, in terms of pure platforming, this game doesn't beat Galaxy/s I don't think. It's more of a "New Super Mario Bros. 3D". Great game, but Nintendo's priorities with the series are changing in ways I'm not a fan of... The camera of all things, took a huge step back.
Yeah only got my Wii U yesterday and just played the first level (I bought the U for Mario, but for some reason Pikmin now has me hooked more). But already it was like nooo why would you take out such a fun way of traversal.

mrmickfran

OMG YES I BEAT IT!!! I FINALLY BEAT
CHAMPION'S ROAD
!!!

I was so happy that I started dancing.

I had a total death count of 823 lives O_O

I'm pretty sure it's:

50%
Champion's Road
20% Grumblump Inferno
15% Piranha Creeper Creek after Dark
10% Switch Shock Circus
5% Other crap I don't remember

What a nightmare. Now I'm going back to playing all the levels as Mario.

Xun

Ah shit.

I fell a bit far behind with the Golden Train, and I accidentally died. :(

Is there no way I can redo that level?

Ugh, Just got this game and when I start it it just sits at the title\loading screen and the music loops forever. wtf, my other games work fine.

Roo

Ah shit.

I fell a bit far behind with the Golden Train, and I accidentally died. :(

Is there no way I can redo that level?

Well, not immediately but it will reappear after clearing a couple of levels from the main worlds.

spekkeh

Banned
Just finished world 1. So far it feels more like a 3D version of NSMB than a successor to Galaxy. Which saddens me a great deal, because I loved Galaxy and loathed NSMB. Let's hope the faux 3D clicks later on.

daripad

Just finished world 1. So far it feels more like a 3D version of NSMB than a successor to Galaxy. Which saddens me a great deal, because I loved Galaxy and loathed NSMB. Let's hope the faux 3D clicks later on.

World 3 is very special and it goes uphill from there, keep playing!

mo60

OMG YES I BEAT IT!!! I FINALLY BEAT
CHAMPION'S ROAD
!!!

I was so happy that I started dancing.

I had a total death count of 823 lives O_O

I'm pretty sure it's:

50%
Champion's Road
20% Grumblump Inferno
15% Piranha Creeper Creek after Dark
10% Switch Shock Circus
5% Other crap I don't remember

What a nightmare. Now I'm going back to playing all the levels as Mario.

I have a funny feeling my death count will be well over 2000 by the time I beat this game because a lot of my deaths are accidental.

Zarovitch

I just discover that
if you hold a turtle sheel and press ZL you turn into red sheel
I was about to finish the game when i discover that.

mstevens

I took a long break from this game after the holidays because I was a little burnt out from playing the first 4-5 worlds or so with different combinations of family and friends. Everyone who played this game LOVED it, by the way.

Anyway, I'm finally working through the post game worlds and I think they are amazing. I just got every star in the
Flower
world, but I need to go back and pick up a few odd stars before I can tackle the last challenges. I heard there is a
mystery box with (edit:30) in a row.. Reallllly hoping I don't mess up around 45, I can't imagine...
but this game is still fun even when it's frustrating.

Dr.Hadji

This comparison is always a little odd to me. Are the NSMB games your only experience with 2D Mario games? If not, how is 3D World more NSMB than Mario World or SMB3?

jnWake

I took a long break from this game after the holidays because I was a little burnt out from playing the first 4-5 worlds or so with different combinations of family and friends. Everyone who played this game LOVED it, by the way.

Anyway, I'm finally working through the post game worlds and I think they are amazing. I just got every star in the
Flower
world, but I need to go back and pick up a few odd stars before I can tackle the last challenges. I heard there is a
mystery box with 50 in a row.. Reallllly hoping I don't mess up around 45, I can't imagine...
but this game is still fun even when it's frustrating.

It has "only" 30 levels. It's quite hard.

spekkeh

Banned
This comparison is always a little odd to me. Are the NSMB games your only experience with 2D Mario games? If not, how is 3D World more NSMB than Mario World or SMB3?
Not but the last time I played SMB3 and World I was nine and twelve respectively. I probably wouldn't think they would feel as good as the galaxy games if I were to play them now.

Irminsul

That Grumblump Inferno, i've died so many time.
I've read this several times now, thus I simply have to ask: Do you run or do you jump? I ran on the blocks and didn't really die that much. Probably around five times during my three run-throughs to get everything in it.

I'm also far from someone who easily performs a zero-death-run through the whole game ;)

Zarovitch

I've read this several times now, thus I simply have to ask: Do you run or do you jump? I ran on the blocks and didn't really die that much. Probably around five times during my three run-throughs to get everything in it.

I'm also far from someone who easily performs a zero-death-run through the whole game ;)

I just walk, but sometime to soon and fall. This was at the end of a long session playing the game. There was some fatigue i think. I got some trouble getting the stamp too.

I got not many trouble in other levels so far. I think some level are more hard than others depending of the player.

mo60

I quit the level to go make some more lives and have some fun.

Use Peach on that level. And use her floating ability to save yourself whenever you are about to die.Do not run or walk on the blocks and time your jump's carefully.I think the last part of the level is the worst part of the level.

Zarovitch

Use Peach on that level. And use her floating ability to save yourself whenever you are about to die.Do not run or walk on the blocks and time your jump's carefully.I think the last part of the level is the worst part of the level.

Thanks but i have already pass it with Mario and got all stars and the stamp and the flag. :)

StAidan

I quit the level to go make some more lives and have some fun.

I just went through that one the other night. Most challenging one I've played so far, I burned 12 lives on it (mostly trying to get the stamp).

Insaniac

this is wrong, DO walk on the blocks when they flip. The two mouse enemies at the beginning of the level are there to show you to walk, not jump. My brother and I did this level about 15 times trying to jump and failing everytime and then we realized we should simply be walking over the corners as the block flips

zigg

this is wrong, DO walk on the blocks when they flip. The two mouse enemies at the beginning of the level are there to show you to walk, not jump. My brother and I did this level about 15 times trying to jump and failing everytime and then we realized we should simply be walking over the corners as the block flips
Yup. Much easier (and smoother) this way. Mario et al. actually have rather good traction on the blocks until they get almost vertical.

spekkeh

Banned
World 3 is very special and it goes uphill from there, keep playing!

Yes I'm in World 3 and a convert. This game is charming as fuck.

Also, Toadsworth is the original GANGSTER.

I'm loving the Miiverse integration too frankly. It's somehow really cathartic to draw the fuuu rage guy after losing fifteen lives on that scrolling level.

mo60

I completed the level by just jumping when I needed to jump .The only section I seem to die a lot is the last part of the level.

StAidan

Well, I finally "beat the game" last night. Now the
real challenge
begins. Indeed,
star world
has claimed many of my lives in reserve already.

By the way, what is the specific requirement for unlocking the icons that tell you which characters have finished a level?

jakomocha

The final level in
crown world is
really difficult! Or maybe it's just that I perform much worse when playing in multiplayer.
Final Captain Toad was pretty hard too, but I beat it. I don't think I'll ever beat the mystery house, there are waaayyy too many star coins

Insaniac

Well, I finally "beat the game" last night. Now the
real challenge
begins. Indeed,
star world
has claimed many of my lives in reserve already.

By the way, what is the specific requirement for unlocking the icons that tell you which characters have finished a level?

You have to beat all the levels with a golden flagpole and all green stars and all stamps

Davey Cakes

Finally cleared
Champion's Road
just a little while ago.

Is it weird that I chose to run across the clear pipes towards the end? Something about that actually seemed safer to me. I figured the stage would otherwise try to screw me over.

EDIT: I took it a step further and finished the final Mystery House. Felt like a beast after that. Cat suit helped me prevail. And then I moved on and obtained the Luigi Stamp.

I'd say I'm about done with this game for now, at least with my own campaign. I don't feel the need to complete every stage with every character. Maybe that will come with time. Of course, I still want to get more multiplayer in because every time I play multiplayer in this game I have a blast, regardless of the chaos.

DJ88

Finally beat
Champion's Road
!!! With Mario and no powerups!

After reading the horror stories on here about it I thought I was in for an infuriating challenge, but it was actually pretty fun. It was rewarding to slowly gain an understanding of a section and eliminating guess work until I could form an easy to repeat route or strategy to pass it. Then start all over and find a new one at the next section, obviously at the cost of countless lives. The last section was where I lost the most lives slowly experimenting with different routes and timing of jumps and ground pounds. That light at the end of the tunnel moment where I realized, "I finally have a route that works everytime!" and it was just a matter of execution was glorious. Still took several more lives to finally beat, and a grand total of around 200, but man that felt good. An awesome, challenging and rewarding final level without feeling cheap or frustrating.

I actually found some other levels way more frustrating like the 2nd green star in Piranha Creeper Creek After Dark.

Finally cleared
Champion's Road
just a little while ago.

Is it weird that I chose to run across the clear pipes towards the end? Something about that actually seemed safer to me. I figured the stage would otherwise try to screw me over.

Haha I never would have thought of doing that. But I was FREAKING out during that section because the camera was way back and I couldn't see what was going on, so I thought if I took a wrong route it would dump me off into space to my death. I didn't even catch that it spelt out a thank you for playing, as I was 100% focused on getting through the level after losing 100 lives.

Finally got a working copy from Amazon last night and I'm in the 3rd world. This is the first Mario game I've actually enjoyed since Mario 64 and Mario RPG.

Insaniac

Finally beat
Champion's Road
!!! With Mario and no powerups!

After reading the horror stories on here about it I thought I was in for an infuriating challenge, but it was actually pretty fun. It was rewarding to slowly gain an understanding of a section and eliminating guess work until I could form an easy to repeat route or strategy to pass it. Then start all over and find a new one at the next section, obviously at the cost of countless lives. The last section was where I lost the most lives slowly experimenting with different routes and timing of jumps and ground pounds. That light at the end of the tunnel moment where I realized, "I finally have a route that works everytime!" and it was just a matter of execution was glorious. Still took several more lives to finally beat, and a grand total of around 200, but man that felt good. An awesome, challenging and rewarding final level without feeling cheap or frustrating.

I actually found some other levels way more frustrating like the 2nd green star in Piranha Creeper Creek After Dark.

god, that star.

If they had incorporated green stars into champion's road of that level, I don't think I would have enjoyed it. I feel Champion's roads focus was simply the level design. I mean its pretty clear they didn't try to make the green stars difficult to obtain besides actually GETTING to them

Top Bottom