• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Jrmint

Question:

There's been a couple times I've used the white tanooki suit to assist with getting all the collectibles in a level. Will those still count towards 100% completion or do I need to go run them without that suit at least once to unlock the final world?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Question:

There's been a couple times I've used the white tanooki suit to assist with getting all the collectibles in a level. Will those still count towards 100% completion or do I need to go run them without that suit at least once to unlock the final world?

The only thing that doesn't count if you used the white suit, is your clear time for that level. You didn't 'officially' clear it. You will see a blank space in the level list. The other stuff (stars, stamps, golden flags) is yours and counts.

Jrmint

The only thing that doesn't count if you used the white suit, is your clear time for that level. You didn't 'officially' clear it. You will see a blank space in the level list. The other stuff (stars, stamps, golden flags) is yours and counts.
So I would need to run them again to unlock the final world?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So I would need to run them again to unlock the final world?

No. Like I said, everything you need and collect for the final world (stars, flags and stamps), still counts. You don't get a clear time for finishing the level, but that's it.

Gambit

Yippie!

I also just beat Champion's Road (with Luigi), the next one will be with Peach.

All in all, I found it much easier than The Perfect Run, but also not quite as good. The Perfect Run really was perfect.

Surprisingly the part of Champion's Run that gave me the most problems was wall-jumping/bouncing on the piranha plants. Not once did I have trouble with that during the game, but now I do all of a sudden.
Never died on the boost platforms.

EDIT: Now with all of them. Peach was easiest, I'd say. Finally enough of that level. Now on to the final mystery house.

Yippie!

I also just beat Champion's Road (with Luigi), the next one will be with Peach.

All in all, I found it much easier than The Perfect Run, but also not quite as good. The Perfect Run really was perfect.

Surprisingly the part of Champion's Run that gave me the most problems was wall-jumping/bouncing on the piranha plants. Not once did I have trouble with that during the game, but now I do all of a sudden.
Never died on the boost platforms.

EDIT: Now with all of them. Peach was easiest, I'd say. Finally enough of that level. Now on to the final mystery house.

Finally got past that one this past weekend after playing the entire game co-op. Only
Mystery House Marathon
remains.

Currently at 2080 lives lost but I know damn well that most of those were us just killing each other off, but at least 500+ from
Champion's Road

Gambit

Finally got past that one this past weekend after playing the entire game co-op. Only
Mystery House Marathon
remains.

Currently at 2080 lives lost but I know damn well that most of those were us just killing each other off, but at least 500+ from
Champion's Road

Wow, that's a huge number! But in Co-Op lives do drop rapidly. It's funny that you also kept the mystery house for last.

Just got to World 5, the imagination, variety and humour in this is outstanding.
I think it's probably even better than the Galaxy games..

I love it, too. Although I think it's one tier below the Galaxy games when it comes to imagination. Still a tier above practically everything else though

EDIT: And done with the mystery house. Luigi did it all. I guess I should go through it with the others right away, before I lose the muscle memory. It was actually kind of fun. My biggest hurdle were/are the fuzzies going in a circle.

mo60

I finally unlocked the
crown world
.I also managed to get 10 stars in the final mystery house.Does anyone have any tips to get past the beep block section on
champion's road.
I keep on dying in this section. I'm using the 5th character that you have to unlock.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I finally unlocked the
crown world
.I also managed to get 10 stars in the final mystery house.Does anyone have any tips to get past the beep block section on
champion's road.
I keep on dying in this section. I'm using the 5th character that you have to unlock.

If you're using Rosalina you can do long jumps+spin or roll jumps in general to get past the first section. What I like to do is run until you get to full boost, then start running across the first section while it's empty, but about to pop back up. When you do that you should have enough momentum to run and jump and make it past each section. The second section should be simple enough, you can jump and spin to skip the long jump to the separated section. For the last part, the key is to just keep moving and jumping. If you jump before the next section shows up, it'll kind of pop you up. Using her spin will also help if you're still having trouble. Really the main key is to just keep moving, though you can pause and regroup after the first and second parts.

I wish there was an easier way to get to
crown world
. I really want to try it but I'm not a fan of collectible-hunting, there's no way I"m going to get every single star :(

sugarman

my friends were not down at all to play this game with me. all they ever want to play is cod/nhl/forza and they said mario looks like weak shit. but after smoking a couple j's and playing a few levels they were hooked, and my faith in humanity was restored.

D-e-f-

Banned
my friends were not down at all to play this game with me. all they ever want to play is cod/nhl/forza and they said mario looks like weak shit. but after smoking a couple j's and playing a few levels they were hooked, and my faith in humanity was restored.

Humanity just needs to be inebriated to come to its senses apparently.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
haha

me and fellow gaffer Morfeo played Champion Road suitless on co-op. That was pretty fun, although the stage is clearly not designed for it

First we did it with the two princesses:

zlCfzRa_294HJpTN_a

Peach is OP on this stage :p

and then with Luigi and Toad, that was a bit harder

zlCfzRbBefAnwH7fHw

The camera will fuck you up playing co-op here, and the bubbles are really exploitable.. But it was great fun! Recommended!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Back from your ban? :)

Yeah it was great fun. I was going to post this, but yeah, I am lazy. After a while we kinda adopted a division of labour, where he would do certain parts, I would do certain parts, and we would do other parts togheter. This is where the bubbling mechanic came in handy, and it felt a little bit like cheating, but on othe other hand, some of the areas, especially the climbing part where you need to jump on flowers, seemed almost impossible with the players considering they retract after a hit.

Anyways, cheating or not, it was great fun, and I do now have the Champions Road beaten on my save with all five characters!

Magnus

Ugh. My interest level tanked as soon as I hit a barrier that required 210 green stars to proceed. Been revisiting old worlds sloggin it through to find more. It's been occasionally fun, but mostly frustrating. At 200 now.

Andrew.

Banned
Just poppin in to say 2+ months later I finally beat Rainbow Run, 100%'ed everything so far and made it to World 'Shroom!

After that harsh spike that is the Rainbow Road I temporarily threw in the towel and would occasionally pop in the game to collect lives to be fully prepared.

Well I finally grew a pair a couple nights ago. Jumped in RR with 120 lives, only lost 3(!!! but had a shitload of restarts). From there on, the game love was reignited and I pretty much blasted through Super Galaxy and the following levels. However Star-9 was fucking craaaazy tough controlling those cannon shots while avoiding the Dry Bones. That stamp inparticular cause me a bunch of trouble.

So now Im back in the game. Cant wait to get back to it tonight. I LOVE the fuckin remixed levels!

Question that has probably been asked before, but... how can you tell which levels have been beaten by which characters? Like if I was going to go back to previous levels and beat them all with each character, how can I tell who has already done it? You'd think it would be in the menu showing all your stars/flagpole/stamps, but it wasn't. I beat the main game last night and am currently working on the bonus worlds.

Andrew.

Banned
Question that has probably been asked before, but... how can you tell which levels have been beaten by which characters? Like if I was going to go back to previous levels and beat them all with each character, how can I tell who has already done it? You'd think it would be in the menu showing all your stars/flagpole/stamps, but it wasn't. I beat the main game last night and am currently working on the bonus worlds.

I think you can only see it after you've unlocked World Crown. There's info that pops up when you approach a stage or something of the like.

Im pretty sure the game records every level youve played through with each character by that point too.

D-e-f-

Banned

I think you can only see it after you've unlocked World Crown. There's info that pops up when you approach a stage or something of the like.

Im pretty sure the game records every level youve played through with each character by that point too.

It will look like this in the status menu. All shall be revealed.
dxs5o.jpg

It will look like this in the status menu. All shall be revealed.
dxs5o.jpg

Oh thanks, both of you! I thought it would be on that screen, lol. I wonder why they don't just have that information available from the get-go (I guess because that would reveal there was a 5th unlockable character? I dunno). I don't see why you need to wait until Crown World, but whatevers, no biggy. Do you have to beat every stage with every single character to get all the stamps? Even the "bonus" character you unlock?

D-e-f-

Banned
Oh thanks, both of you! I thought it would be on that screen, lol. I wonder why they don't just have that information available from the get-go (I guess because that would reveal there was a 5th unlockable character? I dunno). I don't see why you need to wait until Crown World, but whatevers, no biggy. Do you have to beat every stage with every single character to get all the stamps? Even the "bonus" character you unlock?

Beating all stages with all characters only gives you shiny stars, I believe. Nothing you "need" to do.

Andrew.

Banned
Beating all stages with all characters only gives you shiny stars, I believe. Nothing you "need" to do.

Nope, you only get those main character stamps if you beat entire the game with each character. Crazy I know. Something I will definitely do eventually. Nice replayability there.

The shiny stars only stay shiny as long as you never wear the white Tanooki suit for the entirety of a level.

Oh okay. I probably wasn't going to do that anyways (beat every stage with every character). But I do plan on beating every world/level completely (all stars, stamps, and golden flag poles).

Is
Champion's Road
easier or harder with 2 people? I've been playing this game exclusively with one of my friends because the multiplayer is so damn fun.

zigg

wonder why they don't just have that information available from the get-go (I guess because that would reveal there was a 5th unlockable character? I dunno). I don't see why you need to wait until Crown World, but whatevers, no biggy.
Probably to help steer people toward what they actually need to do to unlock Crown World (all flags, stars, stamps) and not risk burning them out trying to play everything with all characters.

Probably to help steer people toward what they actually need to do to unlock Crown World (all flags, stars, stamps) and not risk burning them out trying to play everything with all characters.

Ah yeah, that's probably part of it. I actually didn't even know you had to get all of those things to unlock Crown World until today reading this thread, lol. I'm glad I was already in the process of doing that as I played.

Andrew.

Banned
Ah yeah, that's probably part of it. I actually didn't even know you had to get all of those things to unlock Crown World until today reading this thread, lol. I'm glad I was already in the process of doing that as I played.

It's how you're supposed to PLAY. THE. GAME.

It's how you're supposed to PLAY. THE. GAME.

Yeah, but you'd be surprised how many people just speed through the levels and ignore things like that. :p Plus, getting the golden flag pole can be tricky sometimes! I still need to back and get some of them. Of course, it's easy if you have a spare cat suit, lol.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah, but you'd be surprised how many people just speed through the levels and ignore things like that. :p Plus, getting the golden flag pole can be tricky sometimes! I still need to back and get some of them. Of course, it's easy if you have a spare cat suit, lol.

What I tend to do is break the levels up into small chunks so I dont stress out over trying to 100% in one go. I just did the return to Shadow Play Alley level where you only have 100 seconds on the clock. Made sure I got the two easy stars and gold pole, then jumped right back in for the first star and bam. Sure its different for the time crunch levels, but breaking them into pieces for collectible hunting helps you not tear your hair out.

D-e-f-

Banned
Nope, you only get those main character stamps if you beat entire the game with each character. Crazy I know. Something I will definitely do eventually. Nice replayability there.

The shiny stars only stay shiny as long as you never wear the white Tanooki suit for the entirety of a level.

Oh nevermind me then! :)

Game reviewer mentality. See credits roll, move on to next hot topic game!

Andrew.

Banned
So if I used the white Tanooki suit for a level, can I never get a shiny star, even if I repeat it and beat it without the suit?

I think that actually works but Im not 100% positive. Pretty sure my plain stars turned shiny once I beat Rainbow Road normally. Hopefully someone can clear that up.

So if I used the white Tanooki suit for a level, can I never get a shiny star, even if I repeat it and beat it without the suit?

I am wondering about this as well. The friend I was playing with recently wanted to see what the suit looked like and did, so he got one and then died immediately by falling off a ledge, lol. Will that affect anything? We didn't beat the level when he had the suit on or anything. I even think I reset the level after that (not sure).

What I tend to do is break the levels up into small chunks so I dont stress out over trying to 100% in one go. I just did the return to Shadow Play Alley level where you only have 100 seconds on the clock. Made sure I got the two easy stars and gold pole, then jumped right back in for the first star and bam. Sure its different for the time crunch levels, but breaking them into pieces for collectible hunting helps you not tear your hair out.

That's probably a good plan and something I should do more of really, lol. My friend and I try to get everything in one go, but sometimes we just can't (or we miss a star somehow) and we finish the level then go back to it. We never plan on doing that, though (like plan on only getting the first star or whatever).

Game reviewer mentality. See credits roll, move on to next hot topic game!

Yeah, pretty much. :/ I try to spend a bit more time with games I'm really enjoying.

FSLink

Banned
I am wondering about this as well. The friend I was playing with recently wanted to see what the suit looked like and did, so he got one and then died immediately by falling off a ledge, lol. Will that affect anything? We didn't beat the level when he had the suit on or anything. I even think I reset the level after that (not sure).

It doesn't, you don't get a score for the level but you can go back and redo it later if you care.

Andrew.

Banned
The samurai house levels just wouldn't be the same minus Pad support. Opening the doors manually using the right stick wouldn't be as quick and possibly sluggish. I love my Paddywacker.

Pic I just took. Dat angled shot.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01vwubx.jpg

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The samurai house levels just wouldn't be the same minus Pad support. Opening the doors manually using the right stick wouldn't be as quick and possibly sluggish. I love my Paddywacker.

Pic I just took. Dat angled shot.

I loved those levels.

Top Bottom