• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you reviewed it comparing it to 64, Galaxy and 3D land and not on it own merit? So you said to yourself, if 64 and Galaxy is a 10, you will grade from there down?

Most bloggers don't know how to review games, most reviews are just the pepsi challenge now.
Compare it to something similar, give score depending on if its better or worse.

His review is telling me it's not better than galaxy, so I should just go play galaxy again and wait 10 years until they make something better.

Malus

Oh, you've played the game?

...We can see clearly from trailers and the information given what new features and ideas are in this game. All we don't know is whether or not there's more than what's been revealed thus far.

I don't need to play Galaxy 2 know there's a different world map and new powerups/level design ideas. Just watch a few gameplay videos and trailers.

It's almost a little embarrassing to talk about Nintendo embracing high-definition when the rest of the industry jumped that hurdle almost a decade ago, but on occasion 3D World makes everyone else look like they've been doing it all wrong. It's testament to EAD's genius, then, that it hasn't settled for just using new technological heft to tart up what we'd already explored on 3DS: those good looks have allowed for some new game ideas, too.

2nd time I've read a comment like this

nikos

I'm not even going to read the reviews, those scores are enough. I'm jumping on the next Wii U deal that comes around. Glad I saved my accessories after buying one last year, I knew I'd be back.

That's a lot of 10's. I wonder how this will fare in GotY awards.

I don't want to derail this thread, but does Mario have enough weight with reviewers/journalists to beat out the likes of The Last of Us/GTAV/Tomb Raider/AC4/BF4/CoD:G? That's in my personal order of preference...

Actually, come to think of it, I think we're largely going to see a contest between this and TLoU.

Several reviews confirm 60fps with no dips.

nintendo-seal-of-quality.jpg

Dawg

Went through the entire thread. Took a while to update OP with NeoGAF going down and up.

Should be good now!

jmls1121

Banned
Bullshit hypocrisy is what it is. Somehow all Nintendo games have to justify their existence on a certain platform by doing something mind-blowing with that platform's unique features. Weirdly, this is never applied to systems from other console makers. And it's usually ignoring all the cool stuff that the game in question does do with that platforms unique featureset. But hey #gamesjournalism be #gamesjournalism'ing.

Yeah, I thought it was bullshit as well. Isn't Luke Plunkett the reviewer on this? He has always been awful.

Totillo and jschreiber are wonderful, though.

Krabboss

...We can see clearly from trailers and the information given what new features and ideas are in this game. All we don't know is whether or not there's more than what's been revealed thus far.

I don't need to play Galaxy 2 know there's a different world map and new powerups/level design ideas. Just watch a few gameplay videos and trailers.

Like what? Cat suit, the duplication cherry thing, speedrun levels, Captain Toad levels and the challenge houses?

Reviewers don't seem to think any of those are very substantial or inventive, except maybe the cat suit. They'd probably know better than you.

AniHawk

I don't want to derail this thread, but does Mario have enough weight with reviewers/journalists to beat out the likes of The Last of Us/GTAV/Tomb Raider/AC4/BF4/CoD:G? That's in my personal order of preference...

Actually, come to think of it, I think we're largely going to see a contest between this and TLoU.

nope. the western story-based game that teaches us about the human condition will always win out. also see bioshock, gta iv, and telltale's the walking dead.

mf luder

Boss battles have been consistently the worst part about Mario games for decades now, the tradition continues

From metro review: the game’s giddy disregard for formula is especially evident in its approach to bosses, which changes back and forth with each world. Sometimes you’re chasing a train filled with homing missiles and then fighting a Koopaling at the end of it, sometimes it’s a proper boss fight with a giant lava spewing rock monster. Sometimes you’ll meet mini-bosses halfway through a world, other times you’ll be blocked from entering a new one by a giant clown covered in T-1000 style liquid metal.

Tenck

It's a Nintendo game.There's no way a sane person will rule out one of their games for GOTY nominations.

Exile20

Well they are the games that came before it, in the same franchise. I'm not saying they should do the same as Galaxy, but Galaxy has more creative stuff in it (sorry for the basic English, I'm Dutch). The concept of Galaxy (the planets and gravity) made room for more creative levels and challenges. In comparison, yes, Mario 3D World feels like a step back. It's not that bad and its still very fun, but I often felt 'been there, done that' while playing, because I experienced most of it in 3D Land and the New Mario Bros-franchise. Its not a bad thing per se, but it makes for a less fresh experience, yes.

Its not that I'd score Mario 64 and Galaxy a 10 per se. Its the feeling of the game that I look at when I score a game. Its not exact science.

Fair enough.

Nintendo wasn't going for a Galaxy game tho, they set out for a culmination of all past Mario games and not some new creative way to play Mario, so yes some of it will seem familiar. If what you are saying is true then they achieved what they set out to do.

I appreciate your honesty, hope I didn't come off as attacking your review, thanks.

Majestad

Banned
This is Mario like you’ve never seen him before, and unlike so many of his next-gen rivals, he nips along at an effortless 60fps. If the true measure of new hardware’s worth is how stark the difference is between it and what came before, then this is the most next-gen game that 2013 has yet produced.

-EDGE

farooq-wwe-damn.gif

zroid

Banned
Will this be another "citizen kane" moment for video games?

Unlike for certain other games which shall remain nameless, instead of swearing it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and ruins all other games for them, people will simply play 3D World and have a fucking blast.

And then re-play it again and again.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

No. Galaxy 2 got awesome reviews as well, but almost didnt get any goty, and a lot of sites didnt even nominate it.

Raven77

Any word on how big the worlds are, compared to Mario 64?

One of things that bothers me about this game is that it seems as though the "levels" are somewhat small, or presented in a "2D style" (like the shadow level).

D-e-f-

Banned
nope. the western story-based game that teaches us about the human condition will always win out. also see bioshock, gta iv, and telltale's the walking dead.

movies are more noteworthy than video games when it comes to celebrating achievements in video game design. gotta love this community.

Just bought a PS4 with 5 games...and dammit now imma have to get this! Damn you Nintendo why do you make me do it huh?! Seriously the game looks fucking amazing to me, totally blown away but what I've seen so far.

Just wish it came out a little closer to xmas so I could get it for the kids but I won't be able to wait that long now lol.

GTAV will be chucked in there as well.

Any word on how big the worlds are, compared to Mario 64?

One of things that bothers me about this game is that it seems as though the "levels" are somewhat small, or presented in a "2D style" (like the shadow level).

And that, essentially, is 3D World's biggest problem. Where Galaxy created episodes for its ideas, working through a narrative that left you satisfied by the end, Super Mario 3D World's stages feel more like sketches. Such short levels mean you're constantly wishing for more; a sign that EAD's got a lot right, for sure, but we rarely felt quite satisfied in getting to play with the ideas we liked the most.

PK Gaming

This is Mario like you’ve never seen him before, and unlike so many of his next-gen rivals, he nips along at an effortless 60fps. If the true measure of new hardware’s worth is how stark the difference is between it and what came before, then this is the most next-gen game that 2013 has yet produced.

-EDGE

Hah!

Hopefully the Wii U is allowed to live long enough to produce even more stellar games.

Busaiku

Huh, guess I haven't been paying attention, I did not know that fireballs can travel through pipes.
That sounds so fun.

Zeeman

Aw man, I was really hoping I'd be able to wait a bit to pick this up, but now I'm not sure if I can

This is not a bad thing except for my wallet

This holiday season is going to belong to Nintendo for games. So happy the reviews are reflecting what has been seemingly evident from all the videos so far.

-EDGE
farooq-wwe-damn.gif

This....

It's almost a little embarrassing to talk about Nintendo embracing high-definition when the rest of the industry jumped that hurdle almost a decade ago, but on occasion 3D World makes everyone else look like they've been doing it all wrong. It's testament to EAD's genius, then, that it hasn't settled for just using new technological heft to tart up what we'd already explored on 3DS: those good looks have allowed for some new game ideas, too.

....and this quote make me think reviewers are going crazy

so hyped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom