• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) box art

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
iXo3zPWyEQmkK.jpg

There's a "larger" one, but it's way blurrier, this is better.

No idea where Nintendo Everything found this and why they now puts their damn watermark on everything...

As for the box, I like it. :)

Most convoluted box art since Arkham Asylum 10 out of 10.

If I didn't keep up with gaming, I wouldn't know what the difference is in these Mario games. Is it a port of the 3DS game? They use the most basic descriptors possible to identify the games... hell, even their consoles and handhelds. In 10 years it will just be 'Mario' on the game box and we'll shamble into the stores mumbling about 'new Mario'.

I'll buy this when it comes out. But... cat Mario. Cat Mario. My friends couldn't stop laughing when they saw that at PAX. We're in our mid-30s... and I'm going to buy a game with kitty cats.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
If I didn't keep up with gaming, I wouldn't know what the difference is in these Mario games. Is it a port of the 3DS game? They use the most basic descriptors possible to identify the games... hell, even their consoles and handhelds. In 10 years it will just be 'Mario' on the game box and we'll shamble into the stores mumbling about 'new Mario'.

Did you think Mario World on the SNES was a port of Mario Land on the Game Boy?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I don't know what is going with Nintendo, but their recent boxarts are really lazy, generic and boring.

they need some big change.

I miss the super charming SNES/GBA 2D boxarts.

That's pretty much what the majority of the consumer base for new Mario games does already anyways.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Feels weird having everyone on there twice. They should've had a regular cover with a cute slipcover that has the main cast in their Cat Suits.

NotLiquid

I don't know what is going with Nintendo, but their recent boxarts are really lazy, generic and boring.

You serious? Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, New Super Mario Bros. U and Tropical Freeze are some of the most awesome-looking, eye-catching box arts they've done as of late. They've gotten better.

Mariolee

The fuck you talking about? Nintendo has been kicking ass with their boxart. You got Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Link Between Two Worlds, Wind Waker HD, Tropical Freeze, and that Mario Party box art looks fantastic. The only ones I don't like are Mario & Sonic and the new 3D Land box arts.

Lijik

250px-Super_Mario_World_Coverart.png

Its literally concept art of mario slapped onto a blue background dude, can't get lazier than that.

jwhit28

Super Mario Land has been a portable series since 1989 on the Gameboy
Super Mario World was the first Mario platformer released for SNES

Land means portable (Advance does as well)
World means console

Super Mario 3D World is no more a port than Super Mario World was to Super Mario Land.

Kurtofan

How is the DKC cover lazy and generic?

Also
VBIsaTBl.png

Not super charming.

Edit: No one ever talks about Nintendo disc covers, they are pretty great:
QQlOAGX.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's not as good as the SM3DL, NSMBU, or DK Tropical Freeze boxes... But it's still pretty damn good! This is probably my most anticipated game of the fall. :-D

PokéKong

Mario boxes have always been pretty plain and generic.

1171064749-00.jpg

Although the games which happen to emphasize and unique art style still managed to highlight it on the box.

Yoshis-Island-Box.jpg

And in fact they still do!

Mario_Luigi_Dream_Team__22054.1371144209.1280.1280.jpg

ASIS

Outside of the olympic games... can you please tell me just what is it about those games that you classify as boring, lazy, and generic?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

All of those are fantastic! Colorful, bright, fun, inviting.

iMerc

I'll buy this when it comes out. But... cat Mario. Cat Mario. My friends couldn't stop laughing when they saw that at PAX. We're in our mid-30s... and I'm going to buy a game with kitty cats.

lol dude, you're posting on an online video game forum.
THAT's when the laughing should have begun. ;)

not criticising you, of course. i'm turning 30 this year, too.
but it is what it is. a colorful game featuring cat suits isn't that big of a 'revelation point' considering the pop-attitudes and types of games that are so popular in this industry. :)

RagnarokX

More like a bland boxart for what looks to be a bland game. I'm sure 3D World will be great for what it is, but a 3D Land 2 as the major home console Mario is pretty fucking generic regardless.

Good thing this isn't 3D Land 2, then.

People seriously think this is a port of a 3DS game and won't do anything better? Come on people.

Pepboy

PokéKong;81099509 said:
Mario boxes have always been pretty plain and generic.

1171064749-00.jpg

Yoshis-Island-Box.jpg

Never realized how creepy Yoshi looks in that first one. But as for the second, we don't see 7 different colored Yoshi running around.

I think they should have kept Peach and Mario regular and put Luigi and maybe Toad in cat suits, and make the whole thing clearly 3D. That way the message is pretty clear (although I'm not even sure why the cat suit is supposed to be a main selling point).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
(although I'm not even sure why the cat suit is supposed to be a main selling point).
Have you seen the internet? People really like cats.

only thing bothering me is how many mario and luigi's there are on it... seems weird.
There's two of each character. One normal, and one in the cat suit.

I played every level in the demo 3 times and they were mediocre. In my opinion.

Not indicative of the final game, of course, but my expectations aren't high...

The question is, do you think that the way the game plays.. IE: the mechanics are what is holding it back, or did you just not care for those levels?

Because if the former is your problem, then the game simply is not for you. If it's the latter, then you're probably jumping to conclusions.

Top Bottom