• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) box art

RagnarokX

I played every level in the demo 3 times and they were mediocre. In my opinion.

Not indicative of the final game, of course, but my expectations aren't high...

To be fair, if the demo levels of Mario Galaxy were indicative of the final game it would be a pretty but lousy game. At least the levels they chose for this game had some stuff going on. That level with the wall conveyor belts seems interesting and is an idea they can really expand upon. The Galaxy demo was mostly moving between small fairly empty planetoids with simple gameplay and a boss battle. And then a later demo had the first level of Honeyhive Galaxy, which is a pretty boring level despite how big it is.

The shitty resolution isn't doing it any favors. I also don't like the double characters part of it. It's ok though, I guess.

The DKC:TF box looks great though.

Anth0ny

The question is, do you think that the way the game plays.. IE: the mechanics are what is holding it back, or did you just not care for those levels?

Because if the former is your problem, then the game simply is not for you. If it's the latter, then you're probably jumping to conclusions.

Both. The mechanics are a step back from the Galaxy games, and the level design wasn't that great.

Fine for a handheld Mario (3D World is basically a Mario 3D Land expansion pack), but I hold console 3D Mario games to a much higher standard. I'll try to judge it by its own merits when it's released, but... eh. Disappointing.

RagnarokX

I'll buy this when it comes out. But... cat Mario. Cat Mario. My friends couldn't stop laughing when they saw that at PAX. We're in our mid-30s... and I'm going to buy a game with kitty cats.

Racoon/Tanooki Mario, Frog Mario, Penguin Mario, Bee Mario, Bunny Mario, Koopa Mario, Flying Squirrel Mario... but Cat Mario crosses the line. Some people are weird.

Feels weird having everyone on there twice. They should've had a regular cover with a cute slipcover that has the main cast in their Cat Suits.

Now that would've been clever. But then they couldn't be in very cat-like poses, unless it covered them entirely.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No they haven't

1000px-Pikmin3Boxart.png

tumblr_mmynu3EYmM1s8ouhxo1_400.jpg
Yep. This is the worst Nintendo box art in a while compared to
Donkey_kong_tropical_freeze_boxart.jpg

sonic-lost-world-box-art.jpg
3D World is boring by comparison.

Both. The mechanics are a step back from the Galaxy games, and the level design wasn't that great.

Fine for a handheld Mario (3D World is basically a Mario 3D Land expansion pack), but I hold console 3D Mario games to a much higher standard. I'll try to judge it by its own merits when it's released, but... eh. Disappointing.

I don't think that's correct at all. It only vaguely resembles 3D Land. It has a similar feel, but it REALLY doesn't play anything like a handheld game, whatever that means. Although I always felt like 3D Land felt almost like a console quality Mario, albeit a bit scaled back. 3D World feels like a full on console sized game.

It may be different in design than Galaxy, but it's not just an "expansion" to 3D Land.

Pepboy

Have you seen the internet? People really like cats.
Hahaha, fair enough. What I should have said is, I'm surprised that they are pushing so heavily on the cat suit as a feature of the game, it almost feels gimmicky. But now that I think more about it, the original NES Mario cover had him with his fire power. And the NDS Super Mario Bros had him as Giant Mario. So I guess it's not that uncommon.

No they haven't

1000px-Pikmin3Boxart.png

This is my favorite (official) boxart in a long time. The high resolution. Demonstrating the primary color pikmin (with different flower-attachments and mouth/ears/nose) as well as the textured rock pikmin, the emphasis on fruit and a tiny flying pikmin in the back. The gentle introduction of human elements and even the font. They could have very easily gone the traditional route of showing 100 pikmin all running around, but they realized that many details at once clouds the message. This box definitely got me interested in pikmin again after having skipped the second one.

Bkey

Banned
They should just remove the generic Mario/Peach/Luigi and stick Bowser up top eating a cat. Bowser needs to be in more box art imo

LocalE

As to the bolded...It's these kinds of leaps of logic that...I just don't see as being very valuable as conclusions, or even as predictions (which this is not stated as, as usual).

Shaking my head and saying something like "where do you get this stuff?" is all I can imagine as a response to these kinds of claims.

On topic: It's not my favorite box art, but seems okay and certainly isn't offensive. I don't see the big deal, or any problem at all, really, with having each character on the box twice

balohna

Disappointed there's no U R MR GAY equivalent, but looking at the logo made me notice that "MARIO" represents each character's colour + the catsuit.

hatchx

Banned
I really don't like how every character is on there twice. What a dumb design...has any game ever done that?

I'm disappointed after how great the wiiU box arts have been, then again, Mario 3D land looks less exciting than any 3D Mario yet. Huge disappointment.

Which is exactly what a majority of people called it when it was announced/came out. But that didn't stop it from being the best Mario game of all time.

Strongly disagree with your last statement, but I agree with the essence of the point you are making, which is why I think the term is silly. When people say a game is an "expansion pack," they are attempting to degrade it. Which is ridiculous. Was Uncharted 2 an expansion pack? Was Super Mario Bros. 3? What is the difference between a sequel and an "expansion pack?"

I really don't like how every character is on there twice. What a dumb design...has any game ever done that?

I'm disappointed after how great the wiiU box arts have been, then again, Mario 3D land looks less exciting than any 3D Mario yet. Huge disappointment.

I don't think the boxart is great(think it's ok) but how else could you do it???

1. They want to show the selling point(or one of them)---the catsuit

2. They want you to know it's a mainline Mario game---show him in his red outfit everyone knows

cacildo

So if you buy retail, you get a big colorful case and (probably) some great disc art.

If you buy digital you get.... nothing. And pay the same price.

Eh nintendo, im expecting some kind of promotion for those who buy this game at the eshop....

So if you buy retail, you get a big colorful case and (probably) some great disc art.

If you buy digital you get.... nothing. And pay the same price.

Eh nintendo, im expecting some kind of promotion for those who buy this game at the eshop....

Maybe they will put the game a week early on the Eshop.

That's sneaky but it would be awfully tempting.

Actually, that's sort of what SMG2 is. At least, that's how it started life, as a bunch of concepts left over from SMG1, the project dubbed "Super Mario Galaxy More".

That is the case for most sequels. At a certain point you have to stop adding ideas to a game. At the end, there are usually things that devs didn't get to try, and these things are added to the sequels. SMG2 was not a unique case. The fact that it actually reused levels from SMG was one of the reasons I didn't like it as much as the first. But even the reuse of areas/levels from past games in sequels is not a unique concept.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Don't like the doubles at all.

Their Wii U boxarts have all been amazing so far until this one for me.

That is the case for most sequels. At a certain point you have to stop adding ideas to a game. At the end, there are usually things that devs didn't get to try, and these things are added to the sequels. SMG2 was not a unique case. The fact that it actually reused levels from SMG was one of the reasons I didn't like it as much as the first. But even the reuse of areas/levels from past games in sequels is not a unique concept.

No, sequels usually aim to be bigger and better on all fronts. This literally started life as a pack of new Galaxy levels. It ended up being polished into a full tradition sequel, but that may not have been the original plan.

I only recall them reusing some boss fights in a secret level, what levels did they reuse? Keeping in mind that Throwback Galaxy was redone from scratch, not simply "ported" from Super Mario 64.

Edit: I think I recall the tower level being reused too, but with a different spin on it?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Not as good as the other awesome Wii U boxarts.

Not a fan of seeing everybody twice

We're not drunk Nintendo
Yeah it's kinda weird and cluttered. They wanted to show off the new catsuits but also wanted to include the iconic designs. Their solution isn't great.

Lijik

No, sequels usually aim to be bigger and better on all fronts. This literally started life as a pack of new Galaxy levels. It ended up being polished into a full tradition sequel, but that may not have been the original plan.

I only recall them reusing some boss fights in a secret level, what levels did they reuse? Keeping in mind that Throwback Galaxy was redone from scratch, not simply "ported" from Super Mario 64.

Edit: I think I recall the tower level being reused too, but with a different spin on it?

Im pretty sure a few devs have gone on record with saying "The ideas we couldnt use for the first game are the first things we aim to do in the second" which is what his sentence past your bolding was getting at

Top Bottom