• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) box art

Shaanyboi

Banned
Ahhnn...

Karnaaj_Rally.jpg

This will forever be the low-bar of boxart to make almost everything look better in comparison.

jwhit28

The renders are definitely new so if this isn't the final box art, it's pretty damn close to what it's going to look like. I haven't seen that Mario and Luigi render anywhere. With Cat Mario though they just conveniently changed his eyes.

I like the new renders and they ought to definitely appear on the cover in some capacity but I hope they make it subtle and fix up the abused exposure of the new cat power up. Admittedly you can't say that this isn't accurately portraying what the game is - four player 3D platforming.

Mario covers are used to show off the newest power ups or abilities just about every time

SMB - Fire mario
SMB2 - item holding/throwing
SMB3 - Tanooki Mario
SMW - Cape and Yoshi
SM64 - Wing Cap
SMS- FLUDD
SMG - Mario flying through space, I guess it's more about the setting
SMG2 - Return of Yoshi
SM3DW - Cat Suit

Ya'll are crazy if you think this is a bad boxart, now the M&LBIS and Dream team...those are worse boxarts than this.

You are probably the only one with that opinion. This boxart looks way too busy, the first Nintendo boxart I dislike on Wii U, besides Nintendoland.

Ganondorfo

The box art gives me a vibe that this will be the worst main Mario game for a nintendo console. I don't like it. It doesn't feel as iconic as the Super mario 64 boxart. Mario boxarts should be simple, not too much characters in it.

MisterHero

Mario 2 was a dream... However, shortly after that Shyguys and other enemies from that game started appearing in the rest of the series.

So, that makes one wonder if it really WAS entirely a dream.
SMB2 enemies really did exist, especially in Yoshi's Island. Mario's dream helped him remember enemies he encountered as a baby. D:

watershed

Banned
It looks nice but I am still highly skeptical about this game's ability to sell Wii U units. Now if any game can, its a Mario game but I still don't see it happening.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It looks nice but I am still highly skeptical about this game's ability to sell Wii U units. Now if any game can, its a Mario game but I still don't see it happening.
It's the reason I bought a Wii U, personally. Sequel to the fantastic SM3DL with four players and in HD? Fuck yeah.

watershed

Banned
It's the reason I bought a Wii U, personally. Sequel to the fantastic SM3DL with four players and in HD? Fuck yeah.

It looks amazingly fun, no doubt about that. But I think it's going to be like MK: Double Dash, or Smash Bros. Melee. Games on the gamecube that sold a ton, probably convinced some gamers to pick up the system but were never part of a general rise in hardware sales that the system truly needed.

SaviorX

Mario is getting too soft....

In Super Mario World the music was superb. You had the whimsical running-around-the-level songs, and the "crap this cave is legit" songs.

I heard none of that variety in NSMB with the elevator music. It really drains A LOT of charm from the series and makes it sterile. There is a big difference between background music and a THEME.

Triton55

High-res boxart looks significantly better, since it better shows the curvature of the world as well as the background details. If only it it had just Mario and Peach on top and then just Luigi and Toad in catsuits on the bottom it would be great. Positions altered of course.

In the little bit of the game I played at E3, the colors of the cat suits were way too similar to each other and it had me confused as to which player was mine. I hope they fix that for the full release.

Neiteio

GameFly already has a much higher-res box:

5006187.jpg

Will add to OP. If a mod can fix the title to fit, that would be really appreciated. :)
AWESOME. Love it so much! You got the heroes in their normal forms up top, and then in kitty cat mode down below. They even squeezed in the clear pipes and the distinctive 3D-style topography. HNNG!

MisterHero

They could've saved time by just saying "Up to 4 players!" like on the New Super Mario Bros. Wii box.

Instead of having the main characters both in regular and cat forms, they should have just had them in different forms. ex: Super Mario, Fire Luigi, Cat Peach, Tanooki(?) Toad.

I like it, but back then all you had to do was put Mario on the cover. Perhaps today's audiences think that's too simple.

This box is waaay too busy.

They could've saved time by just saying "Up to 4 players!" like on the New Super Mario Bros. Wii box.

Instead of having the main characters both in regular and cat forms, they should have just had them in different forms. ex: Super Mario, Fire Luigi, Cat Peach, Tanooki(?) Toad.

That's what I was thinking.

Greenzxy

GameFly already has a much higher-res box:

5006187.jpg

Will add to OP. If a mod can fix the title to fit, that would be really appreciated. :)

What the hell, I don't understand why people are bagging on this boxart.
This is one of the slickest covers I've seen. Man, those character renders are lit perfectly . And I love that top down composition.

Neiteio

What the hell, I don't understand why people are bagging on this boxart.
This is one of the slickest covers I've seen. Man, those character renders are lit perfectly . And I love that top down composition.
People still salty it's a sequel to the greatest 3D Mario game ever instead of a new Galaxy or something.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
A little crowded maybe but it's so colorful. Nintendo continuing the trend of amazingly attractive Wii U covers.

Top Bottom