• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 64 DS releasing on Wii U VC in Europe

TM_WiiUVC_SuperMario64DS.jpg

This 3D platformer was one of the most popular launch titles for the Nintendo DS. In comparison with the original Super Mario 64, this version adds a variety of new features that are sure to please both newcomers and veterans.
Three new playable characters (Luigi, Yoshi and Wario) can be unlocked during Mario's quest, each with their own unique abilities. The game also features new stages, updates the completion challenge from 120 to 150 Power Stars, and tons of touch screen minigames to try your hand at!
Please note: Wireless communication features of the original game, such as Multi-Card Play and DS Download Play, are not available in the Wii U Virtual Console version. This game supports one player on Wii U Virtual Console.

Saw the Mario RPG thread earlier. Didn't see this one yet. Lock if old

Should play marginally better than on a DS, even if it's still technically locked to 8 directions.

Still my favorite version of the game, though.

Somnid

Controls were not good though would probably be improved on a real stick. Still, the extra content makes this a better version.

I adore this version. Particularly that it's on the go, it was my first portable 3D platformer, and how Nintendo completely overhauled all the models to look like their current selves, like if they were lower-poly GC models... if that makes sense.

BUT, while back then I managed to 100% the game and didn't remember having any issues with the controls, they are now a problem, particularly when you have to turn around and they walk in a circle to do so, and other nitpicks.

I do wish Nintendo at least future-proofed it where they could've had the analog touch controls be able to be mapped to the 3DS' Circle Pad. I've been playing my newer copy these days on 3DS and the pad helps at least. The fix is there, but that perfection can't be accessed without some careful reconsideration... or something, I don't know, I ain't a programmer! :p

Neiteio

Best version of Mario 64. Hopefully this hits the US store soon.
I still prefer the handling of the original (obviously — analog controls are superior), but I agree all of the additions were smart ones.

An HD remaster of SM64DS with true analog controls would be GOAT.

FaintDeftone

I thought this game was awful to control without an analog stick. If this version improved the controls I would buy it in a heartbeat. Doubt that'll happen, though.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I thought this game was awful to control without an analog stick. If this version improved the controls I would buy it in a heartbeat. Doubt that'll happen, though.

The Circle Pad on the 3DS already improves the controls a lot. It's still only 8 directions, but at least it feels right.

I still prefer the handling of the original (obviously — analog controls are superior), but I agree all of the additions were smart ones.

An HD remaster of SM64DS with true analog controls would be GOAT.

Hell even a 3D one with 3D Land-quality graphics would be so beautiful.

woopWOOP

100%'d this on 3DS not too long ago. Quite doable with a control stick. The only downside is that you have to hold Y the whole time if you want to run (so doing air dives becomes a little more awkward) while not holding Y makes you walk at a slower pace... only to suddenly go full speed after a while. Pretty annoying when you're trying to tip-toe on small bridges.

Other than that the new star locations and extra maps are fun to check out if you've only played SM64 before.

ramparter

Banned
The worst part is that the dpad controls require pressing B(or was it Y) to run. Sad when the game includes perfect analogue controls accessible only via touch screen.

Anyone going to play this with the thumb pad thing?

I never touched this game, just seemed like a cash in on the GOAT.

Will of course smash it out when it releases finally.

Lijik

Im always flabbergasted when people praise the four new levels in this game. They're straight up the weakest level designs Nintendo made for a 3d mario. Never liked how this version added some safety nets to a few of the original courses to ease the challenge either.

Now the minigames tho, thats the worth the price of admission.

Richie

The versus mode, the one that's all about chasing the stars, is surprisingly fun, pure chaotic goodness. It's such a shame it won't work in this version. That said, the minigames and bonus content make it worth revisiting.

Crub

Best case, Nintendo would map the analog stick to a circular area on the touch screen, which doesn't sound like it would be too hard to implement.

Even if they did that, I still would be reluctant to play the incredibly low-res DS version on a bigger screen though. Ideally Nintendo will at some point release an HD version with all the content of the DS version, so it can be enjoyed without any of DS' restrictions.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I've always been interested in this, but I think I remember someone detailing how the default walk eventually goes into a run anyway, which ruins the idea of having a run button. I can see that being annoying for the times you do want to walk.

Do Nintendo have a history of fixing ports?

Edit: Reading the SMB4 Japan thread it seems they of have a history if fixing games! Gives me hope.

I remember really enjoying it at DS launch, I was already such a huge fan of Mario 64 it was cool as having a handheld version with even more content now.

Mario 64 is so wonderful.

Even though the 'new' controls took some getting use to it was just so cool having dem 3D Mario graphics handheld.

Phoenixus

Has the actual PR description for the game been released yet? Holding out slim hope they've gotten analog control in somehow, but I'll likely buy it anyway.

Neff

Seems little point in this unless they re-write the game to accommodate analogue controls, and even then, the visuals don't hold up on a big screen nearly so well as the N64 game does.

This is a real 'but why?' announcement if ever there was one.

ASIS

you can probably still find it on the shelf at your local best buy

amazingly, it's 11+ years old.
The fact that The time between now and the release of SM64DS is greater than the time between the original and SM64DS still blows my mind.

maxcriden

Now the minigames tho, thats the worth the price of admission.

Weren't they the same minigames included in NSMB, though?

(Glad to hear the additional levels weren't worthwhile since I never got to play 'em and always kinda wondered.)

You could and you should. I hope with NX this finally won't be a matter anymore and we will get all VC games on all platforms.

I really hope that's the case. I think Nintendo has hinted NX will absorb Wii U's VC architecture. Assuming NX will include a handheld and console, which it seems like it will, I expect there will be a plethora of newly-handheld VC from N64 to DS and maybe even Wii (and GCN?) games.

Top Bottom