• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 64 DS releasing on Wii U VC in Europe

Nere

When this game came out on the ds I was awed by the capabilities of the console and was exstatic for the future. Fast forward at the end of the ds at 2010 it was still the most beautiful game released for the handheld truly a shame never understood what happened there.

When this game came out on the ds I was awed by the capabilities of the console and was exstatic for the future. Fast forward at the end of the ds at 2010 it was still the most beautiful game released for the handheld truly a shame never understood what happened there.

You should try Okamiden.

It's definitely the most impressive 3D DS game.

They wouldn't even need to patch the rom itself, just map the 100% push of the stick to the given direction + the run button. Of course, it would be better an actual patch to allow 360° directions.

maxcriden

Shouldn't this game have been on VC from day one?

Nintendo need to get their shit together..

I just skimmed your last fifty posts and there is a heck of a lot of haterade, not just for Nintendo but you seem really displeased with a lot of games and gaming in general. I mean this in a good way: I hope there is some stuff you genuinely are enjoying in the gaming world. :/

Jackano

SM64DS is good memories, even if the d-pad controls ruins the game.

Remember when this game was sold out, re-edited in cardboard boxes, or the weird lame strap where you're supposed to use your thumb to emulate a stick on-screen. Wow.

JoeM86

You could and you should. I hope with NX this finally won't be a matter anymore and we will get all VC games on all platforms.

It won't matter with NX

However, with GBA it's not possible on 3DS because 3DS isn't powerful enough for proper emulation and Nintendo clearly don't want to sell the buggy mess that is Ambassador games that can't even use the sleep feature. N3DS may be more powerful, but it'd be a waste of resources seeing as NX is absorbing Wii U's architecture.

For the DS, it's a whole other ball of wax. DS games would have to be massively reprogrammed for the saves to run as download versions, and the 3DS only reads DS games on a small part of internal memory, they cannot be read from the SD card

Shouldn't this game have been on VC from day one?

Nintendo need to get their shit together..

Seeing as DS VC only came a few months ago, no. Nintendo stagger releases so there's always something coming, they don't blow their load instantly and then have huge VC droughts and they're not released in the order games were released on the original console, that'd just be silly.

Griss

I loved my DS to bits from the moment I got one but even I thought this game was a poor bastardisation of Mario 64.

That game was literally all about analogue movement using the newfangled analogue stick. It plays terribly with a d-pad and is better but still frustrating and imprecise with a stylus. No amount of bonus content can make up for this flaw in the core game design.

Avoid.

Red Hood

Banned
Best version of Mario 64. Hopefully this hits the US store soon.

boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

The controls are horrible, and unfortunately that's the most important aspect of a platformer. I hope Nintendo gives Mario 64 a true console remake that it deserves instead of a limited handheld.

Ridley327

Now that I think about it. It should be possible to translate those controls to the stick, right?

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible, but I also can't imagine why they would go out of their way to reprogram something that was essentially a seldom-used bandage for a hardware problem in a ROM dump.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Cool but I will pass, the control are awful and no using the analog doesn't fix anything since you still need to hold the Y button to run.

I struggled to defeat King Bob omb as Mario since I couldn't pick him up the moment I let go of the Y button.

This version has Wario as a playable character so this is automatically the better version :)

It's also the only game where Yoshi is playable in 3D.

T.E.D

Banned
I just skimmed your last fifty posts and there is a heck of a lot of haterade, not just for Nintendo but you seem really displeased with a lot of games and gaming in general. I mean this in a good way: I hope there is some stuff you genuinely are enjoying in the gaming world. :/

There are lots of things I enjoy. It's just that I'm direct when it comes to BS. I find that the older I get, the less tolerance I have for it. If a company does something consumer-friendly, I'll be the first to applaud them. The posts you skimmed through are most probably in relation to Ubisoft and the unoptimized, unfinished dirt it's peddling as videogames 99% of the time.

As far as this thread is concerned, I don't understand the drip-feeding Nintendo has been doing with the VC. Can you imagine Valve drip-feeding Steam? Everything should have been put up on the VC at the earliest. The Wii U has been out 3 years.

Seeing as DS VC only came a few months ago, no. Nintendo stagger releases so there's always something coming, they don't blow their load instantly and then have huge VC droughts and they're not released in the order games were released on the original console, that'd just be silly.

But if they don't present their products for sale then how can consumers buy them? Everything should be up there, particularly given the fact that they're not getting third parties and the VC could present a selling point for games not available elsewhere. They have a large catalogue they're just sitting on. Why should consumers have to wait 3 years to play a game that came out nearly 10 years ago? Terrible business practices..

Why do people not expect analogue stick support? VC games already has them and the circle pad can be used on the 3DS.

Also NoA Pls.

JoeM86

There are lots of things I enjoy. It's just that I'm direct when it comes to BS. I find that the older I get, the less tolerance I have for it. If a company does something consumer-friendly, I'll be the first to applaud them. The posts you skimmed through are most probably in relation to Ubisoft and the unoptimized, unfinished dirt it's peddling as videogames 99% of the time.

As far as this thread is concerned, I don't understand the drip-feeding Nintendo has been doing with the VC. Can you imagine Valve drip-feeding Steam? Everything should have been put up on the VC at the earliest. The Wii U has been out 3 years.

For one, these aren't just simple ROM dumps. They're fine tuned to work as perfectly as they can with each emulator being tweaked for each game as well as consideration of extra features to put in such as pointer control in Duck Hunt and e-Reader functionality in Mario Advance. This requires work and testing. Secondly, it's so they sell. If they unleashed everything at once, only the core stuff would sell. Drip feeding causes everything to get in the limelight and can introduce people to games they may not have known existed

T.E.D

Banned
For one, these aren't just simple ROM dumps. They're fine tuned to work as perfectly as they can with each emulator being tweaked for each game as well as consideration of extra features to put in such as pointer control in Duck Hunt and e-Reader functionality in Mario Advance. This requires work and testing. Secondly, it's so they sell. If they unleashed everything at once, only the core stuff would sell. Drip feeding causes everything to get in the limelight and can introduce people to games they may not have known existed

Is there no promotion on the interface? I don't use VC regularly enough to be savvy about it so can you buy, say, The Complete Legend of Zelda Collection? Or the Complete Super Mario Collection? I'm probably just so used to Steam at this point giving deals, bundles, promoting old gems etc. I just don't understand why everything needs to be a big song and dance when it comes to Nintendo.

JoeM86

Is there no promotion on the interface? I don't use VC regularly enough to be savvy about it so can you buy, say, The Complete Legend of Zelda Collection? Or the Complete Super Mario Collection? I'm probably just so used to Steam at this point giving deals, bundles, promoting old gems etc. I just don't understand why everything needs to be a big song and dance when it comes to Nintendo.

They don't bundle them together, no. Nintendo believe in games keeping their value and don't want to just drop prices to rockbottom like Steam does.

But it's not just that. I have a friend who would never have got into Fire Emblem before, but then decided to try a VC title out when it came and was promoted, and ended up loving the series. That wouldn't have happened if they had just dropped their entire load. Nintendo has explained that this is why they do it like this. Plus, as I said before, it takes time for them to test the titles.

It's smart to do it like this. It gets more sales to the titles that people are perhaps not familiar with.

They wouldn't even need to patch the rom itself, just map the 100% push of the stick to the given direction + the run button. Of course, it would be better an actual patch to allow 360° directions.

I don't see it happening. They'd need to create new walk animations for all the characters that sync with the analog stick movement, etc. etc., I highly doubt Nintendo will do this. But it'd be awesome to have the best version of Mario 64 supporting Analog Stick movement - that'd be a real treat!

I don't see it happening. They'd need to create new walk animations for all the characters that sync with the analog stick movement, etc. etc., I highly doubt Nintendo will do this. But it'd be awesome to have the best version of Mario 64 supporting Analog Stick movement - that'd be a real treat!

All the characters should have those animations, as the touch screen already allowed simulated analog controls

poodaddy

Sooo...are we Americans gonna get it too eventually? Sorry, Ill be that guy. If it's already been answered then I'm sorry.

Grizzo

Yeah the eight-way D-pad control put me off back then and I'll still refrain from getting it this time.

I never got far in it which is sad because I saw the potential of this remake (Super Mario 64 on the go and three new characters to play with)

-shadow-

Honestly I'm fine with the eight direction input. It's not perfect, but it was a great adaptation of the analouge stick. The other three characters were really great.

Find it strange however that you need to buy both versions full price for what's mostly the exact same game.

CDX

If they program in or rom hack in true analog stick support, that'd be a major bonus to this game.

I hope they do it. They are adding in the e-reader levels for the GBA version of Super Mario 3, so I'm slightly hopeful they just might actually make the Wii U's analog stick function as a true analog stick.

Ridley327

If they program in or rom hack in true analog stick support, that'd be a major bonus to this game.

I hope they do it. They are adding in the e-reader levels for the GBA version of Super Mario 3, so I'm slightly hopeful they just might actually make the Wii U's analog stick function as a true analog stick.

I think that there is significantly less work involved with the e-Reader levels than what they would need to do here.

butalala

One of Nintendo's dumbest inventions. It's a flat plastic surface, the DS' touch screen cannot register that thing.

Actually it's a convex surface. It registers a single point on the the DS's touchscreen just as well as the stylus. Have you ever used it?

Now as to whether it's actually enjoyable to use, that's another question.

Yukinari

The minigames they included with this were so addictive that they brought some of them over to NSMB1. Other than that this game really suffers from lag of analog control, they were too early with this release and should have waited.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible, but I also can't imagine why they would go out of their way to reprogram something that was essentially a seldom-used bandage for a hardware problem in a ROM dump.

Yes, but they wouldn't need to patch the ROM, just have a custom emulator that maps the stick to either the d-pad + run button, or the touchpad motions that allowed for better control.

I mean, the d-pad + run button mapping should be extremely easy, and the touchpad mapping option shouldn't be too far removed.

Of course, I fully expect just your average ROM dump.

Pretty sure not every PC game ever was on Steam on Day 1.

Top Bottom