• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 64 DS releasing on Wii U VC in Europe

notworksafe

Never had a 64 as a kid so this was the first version I actually completed. I thought it was pretty good but I don't know how much interest I have in playing it again on a big screen.

Jackano

For one, these aren't just simple ROM dumps. They're fine tuned to work as perfectly as they can with each emulator being tweaked for each game as well as consideration of extra features to put in such as pointer control in Duck Hunt and e-Reader functionality in Mario Advance. This requires work and testing.

Yes, I think it may be time for more people to think more about this. And honestly I'm not even sure about the "emulator" part. As far as DS games goes, I've reasons to believe there is no such thing as a "DS emulator".
A framework maybe, but mostly I've come to think they are porting the games.

Moronwind

Banned
Actually it's a convex surface. It registers a single point on the the DS's touchscreen just as well as the stylus. Have you ever used it?

I have. You can kinda get it to work if you angle your thumb in such a way that one of the corners of the nub makes contact with the screen, which is more than a little awkward.

Anth0ny

The fact that The time between now and the release of SM64DS is greater than the time between the original and SM64DS still blows my mind.

8f7SCfT.gif

i'm old af

No.

DS version is better than the N64 version. Even by a good margin.

Has more star and 4 charter.

Don't lie to the people.

Those extras are neat but the god awful controls negate any positives this version might have. Play the N64 version.

A proper remake with all the 64 DS extras and proper controls would be awesome.

Kill it with fire. Worst abomination of a port ever. This shit is the equivalent of what Capcom and Square do to SNES games on iOS. Yeah, I went there!

Neff

Why do people say this again?

It's kind of nice playing a game like Mario 64 on a handheld. And it has extra stuff. And the mini-games are great.

But when it comes down to it, it's uglier, the new content isn't all that great (the extra characters feel inferior to Mario in every way, and the extra stages basically amount to a bunch of uninspired collection maps, with almost none of the strong conceptual design and platforming grace of the base game), and the control method is famously, sadly, utterly borked. Yes, it's possible to 100% the game with the d-pad (as I've done myself), but the true Mario 64 experience of precision analogue movement and daredevil jumps, rolls, cancels, expert turns, slides, backflips and so forth is almost impossible to pull off to the same degree.

If you want to play SM64 like Banjo Kazooie though, it's more than fun enough, in addition to being a technically very impressive port for the DS.

prateeko

Won't it still control like it is on a d-pad?

Yes, unless they have changed it. That is how it controls on the 3DS so an analog stick is useless unless it is program to utilize it.

Unless of course you still have your thumbslider for the Wii U Gamepad...*sigh*

Ryng_tolu

Banned
8f7SCfT.gif

i'm old af

Don't lie to the people.

Those extras are neat but the god awful controls negate any positives this version might have. Play the N64 version.

A proper remake with all the 64 DS extras and proper controls would be awesome.

Just adding more of something doesn't make it better.

Those additions came at the expense of the flow the original game had. Plus the controls are borked

I never had problem honestly, and on 3DS i played it with the analog. Should be the same on Wii U, so there are not problem.

Yes, unless they have changed it. That is how it controls on the 3DS so an analog stick is useless unless it is program to utilize it.

Unless of course you still have your thumbslider for the Wii U Gamepad...*sigh*

That would be too fatiguing, screen too big.

I love how everybody knows that since it's Nintendo they aren't going to change the control code for analog. Ugh.

This game is so shitty with eight-way digital control. It's like going back and trying to play Metal Gear Solid on PS1 after playing modern analog stealth games.

Ridley327

That would be too fatiguing, screen too big.

I love how everybody knows that since it's Nintendo they aren't going to change the control code for analog. Ugh.

This game is so shitty with eight-way digital control. It's like going back and trying to play Metal Gear Solid on PS1 after playing modern analog stealth games.

To be fair, MGS1 is really well suited for digital controls with how the level design works. A platformer, MGS1 ain't.

Yasawas

Kill it with fire. Worst abomination of a port ever. This shit is the equivalent of what Capcom and Square do to SNES games on iOS. Yeah, I went there!

On a forum where people will start threads about the niggliest, most insignificant, trivial nonsense there's a bizarre acceptance and even promotion of the DS version of Mario 64 I've always found baffling. And it's still happening even when we have the real version right there in the same online store!. Why would you ever.

Balb

On a forum where people will start threads about the niggliest, most insignificant, trivial nonsense there's a bizarre acceptance and even promotion of the DS version of Mario 64 I've always found baffling. And it's still happening even when we have the real version right there in the same online store!. Why would you ever.

Well for starters the N64 VC version is kind of shoddy. The DS game isn't the definitive version by any means but it's still enjoyable and will likely be more responsive than the Wii U N64 version.

Sterok

Amazing game. Played it hours upon hours on the DS, both the main game and the minigames. Controls work extremely well too. I had little problem clearing it, though admittedly Luigi breaks the game in two.

Playing Mario 64 on anything other than the N64 controller to me is like playing Street Fighter on something other than an arcade stick. I don't think any console controller was designed around a single game more than that one.

If they added in analog controls I would buy this in a heartbeat. Otherwise, no way. The added content is cool but not worth the neutered controls.

Didn't this game chart in NPD shortly after the 3DS launched

I bet everyone wanted to see how it would play with an analogue stick. It's a little better. I actually really liked playing with the touch screen setup where jump/punch/etc. were assigned to the D-pad, meaning I could move with my right hand.

My dream though is still a remastered version that includes all of the DS content plus the original control scheme.

I have the original cartridge, and I wish this game was reserved for the 3DS. It doesn't look that good now, and the controls don't feel as good as the N64 variant.

During the ten or so years where I wasn't really playing video games so much, I sold a bunch of my games (for way too low by today's standards, obviously) to a video game store to pay for college textbooks. They didn't exchange for cash, so I traded everything out for an original-model DS (when it was still basically brand new), Mario 64 DS, and Metroid Zero Mission to sell on Craigslist later. In the time until I was able to get it to sell on Craigslist, I played Mario 64 DS and Zero Mission relentlessly. Having 100%ed the original Mario 64 when it was new, I found the new controls less than ideal, but I got used to D-pad controls, and I believe I ultimately wound up using the stylus controls more often (full disclosure: I am left-handed).

My hands wound up cramping out a lot, but I think that may have been more due to the design of the original DS than the game. The new content is well worth any quibbles with the controls. New levels, playable Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario, lots of bonus minigames, revamped graphics, sound effects redone to sound more "Mario-esque." A little Mario Sunshine shoutout level. It's the closest that we may ever come to seeing a true Mario 64 2, or anything like we might have gotten with any 64DD Mario 64 expansions.

Now that I own a 2DS, I've strongly been considering picking the cartridge back up. If you've already played through the original and have never played this version, this is a no-brainer. You live through not having proper analog for the fun within.

When this game came out on the ds I was awed by the capabilities of the console and was exstatic for the future. Fast forward at the end of the ds at 2010 it was still the most beautiful game released for the handheld truly a shame never understood what happened there.

Agree! Nintendo did something right wtith the graphics that even somehow made the square textures look good. And the models are fantastic!

However, Shin'en's Nanostray 2 is king in graphics on DS, did they figure out how to get texture-filtering to work on it?! All in 60fps to boot!

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Got a full 150 stars on two profiles back in tue day. Definitely my favorite iteration, probably thanks to all the additional stars.

So I've never owned this game (don't kill me).

Should I get the 64 or the DS version for my Wii U?

Edit: From the posts in this thread I guess it's more like better controls vs. extra content

deleted

Right now, there is no version to get of Mario 64 on the Wii U.

The N64 version is riddled by input lag and a way too dark output - the DS version has really bad controls for a remake of the defining 3D platformer.

BUT I'd recommend everyone to get the DS version either way because of the mini games. These are fantastic and I never understood, why they didn't make it out of the game to the DS/3DS/WiiU in a compilation or as simple mini games downloads.

Rlan

I recall enjoying the new levels they added to the game and the bosses within. I liked how the Goomboss was in there, one of the few times a Paper Mario game has leaked back into notmal Mario games.

64 DS is great. Played through it on 3DS recently and had a blast. I still have the original if I want the more precise controls but I don't really yearn for them using the 3DS nub. Should play well on WiiU.

Phoenixus

It's up in Europe, just bought it. No analog conversion sadly. Doesn't feel too bad using the stick in place of the dpad at least. :)

Sapiens

Dem memories!

cOSVTNS.jpg

That's how I did it - all 150 stars this way. In some ways, the nub-analog is superior because it makes you earn the right to play this elite-tier mario graphical interactive experience.

It's up in Europe, just bought it. No analog conversion sadly. Doesn't feel too bad using the stick in place of the dpad at least. :)

Well, at least with 8-way, it's in the same league as Mario 2.5 World.

Simbabbad

The N64 version is riddled by input lag and a way too dark output...
I 100%'d SM64 on Wii U VC and I'm still scratching my head when I read this. What input lag? Also, my TV probably auto corrected the darkness because to me it looked fine.

Well, at least with 8-way, it's in the same league as Mario 2.5 World.
Haven't played SM3DW yet, but Super Mario 3D Land has full analog controls.

Anyway, not buying this without analog controls. Talk about a missed opportunity since the analog code is there.

sörine

Banned
I 100%'d SM64 on Wii U VC and I'm still scratching my head when I read this. What input lag? Also, my TV probably auto corrected the darkness because to me it looked fine.
Did you use the Gamepad? Evidently the input lag really comes into play if you use the Pro Controller.

Because I like Mario 64 and a version with more stuff to do in it is exactly what I want?

maxcriden

So I've never owned this game (don't kill me).

Should I get the 64 or the DS version for my Wii U?

Edit: From the posts in this thread I guess it's more like better controls vs. extra content

Personally I would strongly advocate for getting the N64 version from Wii Mode on your Wii U, go avoid possible darkness filter and input lag issues with the Wii U VC version. The DS controls are just not at all the way the game was meant to be played and are a significant hindrance to the enjoyment of the game in its traditional form IMO, where a big part of the fun is controlling Mario as he has never been available to be played as before.

With that said, for me the three newest console 3D Mario games are much better gameplay experiences IMO compared to SM64 and especially SMS, because those two games suffer from a lot of early 3D game problems, especially camera problems.

64 DS makes Mario 64 just a bit more like a Mario game IMO, and less a brand new (awesome) 3D thing that happened to have Mario as the player character.

And the D-pad controls are beyond excellent, they don't just move digitally in 8 directions, they rotate Mario just fast enough to not be laggy, but slow enough to give you fine control. The only place I had issues was one specific spot in Tick-Tock Clock, partially because of a weird camera angle, and partially because it's Tick-Tock Clock.

The emphasis on Yoshi, even changing the intro and ending, was kind of dumb, though. Yoshi can't even face the final boss.

Personally I would strongly advocate for getting the N64 version from Wii Mode on your Wii U, go avoid possible darkness filter and input lag issues with the Wii U VC version.

The Wii VC version also has a dark filter. It's (maybe?) not quite as strong as the Wii U version, but it is there.

I think input lag is a similar situation. Exists on Wii, but worse on Wii U.

Simbabbad

sörine;190335329 said:
Did you use the Gamepad? Evidently the input lag really comes into play if you use the Pro Controller.
Why "evidently", since all the complaints seem to imply SM64 on Wii U VC is entirely worthless? Being flawless if you play it with the default controller isn't exactly an issue, is it?

Has anyone brought this version and can confirm what the controls are for the Wii U VC version?

I bought this on the Wii U VC and I'm about 70 stars in. Controls are unchanged from the ds version meaning that while you can use the analogue stick to move Mario, it's emulating the d-pad and movement is not analogue. This can feel a bit weird when you instinctively move the stick lightly to sneak up on a piranha plant and Mario breaks into a jog after a while as it's the equivalent of holding the d-pad down for all that time. Outside of this sneaking issue however, control feels pretty good. I found the gamepad too big to use the touch screen for movement while having access to the buttons.
The controls can't be remapped at all unfortunately so moving the camera controls to the right stick isn't possible. This also means that the triggers (zr and zl) can't be used for l and r either. Also the only supported controller is the gamepad, no pro controller support here.
The screens can be arranged in every way imaginable- playing the mini games with the gamepad held vertically is very comfortable and I've wasted way too much time playing luigis picture poker this way!
It's a real shame that full analogue controls weren't added as this could have been the definitive version of Mario 64, however the game is still playable and I'm not regretting my purchase.

Top Bottom