• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario All-Stars - what's up?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I played Super Mario All-Stars at work today. The versions of the earlier games are, obviously, fantastic in it.

Have these versions ever been re-released on any other platform? Is the GBA version of SMB3 a port of this one, or is it different?

FlyinJ said:
I played Super Mario All-Stars at work today. The versions of the earlier games are, obviously, fantastic in it.

Have these versions ever been re-released on any other platform? Is the GBA version of SMB3 a port of this one, or is it different?

They are very similar, but not identical. I really do hope that they add SMA to the Virtual Console. I love the way the original Mario Bros. looks on it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
parathod said:
I really do hope that they add SMA to the Virtual Console. I love the way the original Mario Bros. looks on it.
Yeah same.. the entire family would sink hours into Super Mario All-Stars when we had the SNES.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
the Mario Advance series IS a rerelease of the games from Super Mario All-Stars. Various changes were made, though I believe all of them were related to the resolution/screen difference and it being a handheld game (screen reformatting, save anywhere, etc). and I believe all sound fx were updated with the current fx from the time (mario 64, SMS, etc).

edit - with the exception of the original SMB. To my knowledge the only enhanced rerelease of that outside of SMA was the launch title for the GBC.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
parathod said:
They are very similar, but not identical. I really do hope that they add SMA to the Virtual Console. I love the way the original Mario Bros. looks on it.
I bet they only release each game seperately.

bjork

iirc, SMA4 had some gameplay differences from All Star SMB3... I forget what it was, a jumping glitch or some kind of exploit in that vein. I don't remember the specifics, though.

Roders5 said:
I bet they only release each game seperately.

If it was the AS versions, I wouldn't mind so much. I can picture them just releasing the NES ones so they don't look like bastards splitting AS up.

Rocked

I love the All-Stars versions, but I hate the GBA games. The changes made them far too easy.

The worst thing is Luigi being able to jump over half the levels. Which braindead idiot at Nintendo thought Luigi from SMB2 would work well in SMB3 and SMW?

I couldnt stand using Luigi in SMA2, which in my opinion is the worst of the translations from SNES to GBA, in my opinion, featuring less things that are 'new.'

By new meaning gameplay mechanics like in the first one, which had SMB2(U), or new levels like in 3 and 4 (Yoshi's Island and SMB3)

tehrafe

Mario All-Stars was one of the games I mostly played on my Snes, I have good memories of it :)

(didn't have the great titles like zelda, chrono trigger and stuff then)

I love the graphical updates in SMB 1 were awesome. Even better was the update to SMB 3, I played it for awhile yesterday, it was a lot of fun to play through that game. That game reeks of Mario-ness, which makes it so great.

Yeah, I too liked the graphical overhaul of SMB1. Much better than SMB 3's IMHO. The only problem was the slight change in jump mechanics, which was pretty significant really....

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'd love to see Super Mario Bros. redone using the same graphic style as the way the levels look in Tetris DS. Keep the 8-bit sprites and change the backgrounds only.

Jado

Banned
Rocked said:
I love the All-Stars versions, but I hate the GBA games. The changes made them far too easy.

The worst thing is Luigi being able to jump over half the levels. Which braindead idiot at Nintendo thought Luigi from SMB2 would work well in SMB3 and SMW?

Funny you mention that, because Luigi in Mario 64 DS kills much of the challenge with his backward jump hover ability.

Top Bottom