• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wii? (plus a Sin and Punishment 2's booth image!)

Talon

Amir0x said:
I like New! Super Mario Bros. but it's really lacking the creativity and brilliant level design of the better Super Mario games, and more recently Super Mario Galaxy.

So on that train of thought I would appreciate and buy a New! Super Mario Bros. type game for the Wii (wouldn't be super excited though), but I hope it's more like a "New! Super Mario Galaxy" type game. Where it's 2.5D but instead of aping a tired aging NES relic it takes after Galaxy and you're all in space and flying around and zipping and zooming and rainbows and shit.
Indeed. :lol

By the way, is this the only series that is allowed to regress in technology to wild acclaim?

shuri

Banned
New Super Mario World felt like a romhack made by internet people. It is honestly the less interesting mario title ever released. I know it sold incredibly well, but the gameplay was incredibly easy and the levels required no real skills, for the most part.

It also didnt help that most of the levels depended on a gimmick. SMW had quite a few of those gimmick levels, but the level design was miles head.

Cohsae

I would pay cash money for like, Super Mario Galaxy: The Lost Levels. Just go crazy with gravity, make insane challenging levels.

Talon

Amir0x said:
No, Megaman.
Ah, yes. And Castlevania as well, I suppose...depending on what this Kojima project brings about.

It's still shocking to me that Capcom hasn't attempted a great 3D Mega Man yet since the days of Legends.

MGrant

Talon- said:
By the way, is this the only series that is allowed to regress in technology to wild acclaim?

Sonic could do it, too, if his developers weren't complete fuck-ups. Megaman did it quite well very recently.

NeonZ

Ok, so I'm not the only one... that was a silly question anyway. I just thought it was weird how overwhelmingly positive the responses had been.

Slavik81

Rez said:
Why doesn't New Super Mario Bros count?
A number of reasons, but the most important one being that it was designed as a modern re-imagining of the original Super Mario Bros, not as something that's supposed to continue the series. The title refers specifically to Super Mario Bros. 1.

It's a different branch on the same tree.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Amir0x said:
I like New! Super Mario Bros. but it's really lacking the creativity and brilliant level design of the better Super Mario games, and more recently Super Mario Galaxy.

So on that train of thought I would appreciate and buy a New! Super Mario Bros. type game for the Wii (wouldn't be super excited though), but I hope it's more like a "New! Super Mario Galaxy" type game. Where it's 2.5D but instead of aping a tired aging NES relic it takes after Galaxy and you're all in space and flying around and zipping and zooming and rainbows and shit.

Can't wait to see what this turns out to be.

Whatever it is I just hope its done by the same team as Galaxy.

CTLance

Eh. I am quite content with Galaxy. I dunno. I certainly appreciate that another Mario game is coming, but I'm not really ecstatic about it.

Plus, I'm guessing this spoils one of the surprises they had in store at the presentation, maybe this was their one big bang announcement - the presentation will probably be less interesting because of it. Booh.

Oh well. Yay, Mario game. Looking forward to gameplay footage.

Shiine

eLGDdeLUi.png

I THINK IVE FOUND IT!!! OMFG OMFG =D=D

pulga

Banned
I think I'll be slightly disappointed if its just a return to the Mushroom Kingdom. Keep it in space and 2.5D! Those sections in Galaxy were awesome!

Wario Land Style graphics is really tough to do a Super Mario Game like that. More, levels, more action, more enemies doing different things.... Lots of tough work for animators.
Not that it cant be possible, but its not probable (although I would love it).

I see more that they are using the 3D motor from Mario Galaxy for a 2D game, and that would be really awesome.
That is 3D in a 2D game that would be fantastic.

But I really hope we will see the Koopa Kids again. If they appear Nintnedo will have redeem forever.
And Yoshi would be the icing on the cake.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As much as it would be 'too soon', I would love a Galaxy sequel more than anything. Galaxy just felt so fresh and so amazing, and even Miyamoto said that he wanted to explore the concept more. I don't really feel I need to 'wait' or anything like that, especially when Nintendo is capable of delivering two phenominal Mario platformers in a single generation.

Take me back to the Galaxy Nintendo.

hiryu2015

Another NSMB would be good no matter what system. Even though I felt the DS felt off [gameplay- and design-wise] from the original SMB series, I still played nonstop through several days. I would prefer a new Galaxy-type game for the Wii though--NSMB, on the other hand, is great for the DS.

thefro

Even if it is a 2D/2.5D Mario for Wii, I'm expecting EAD Tokyo to develop it so there will definitely be a ton of Galaxy influence.

They want to prove that they can make hardcore games, and we can make out what looks like "Super Mario Bros. Wi" but obscured by the tarp after that i.

I'm calling Super Mario Bros. With Guns & Shit

HappyBivouac said:
They want to prove that they can make hardcore games, and we can make out what looks like "Super Mario Bros. Wi" but obscured by the tarp after that i.

pew pew or bang bang?

laserbeam

Banned
HappyBivouac said:

Super Mario Brothers Wii: Mushroom Kingdom Stories :O

Yagharek

Cohsae said:
I would pay cash money for like, Super Mario Galaxy: The Lost Levels. Just go crazy with gravity, make insane challenging levels.

Like the equivalent of the Sunshine challenge levels? Bcause that would fucking rule.

Taker666

I still don't think for a second we'll see a new Wii Zelda game (unless it's Link's Sword Training).

I'd like a new 2D Mario for wii but I'd be a bit annoyed if it was at the expense of Galaxy 2... seeing as they said that was going to push the crazy stuff even further.

Still I can understand why they would go the 2D route in regards to bumping Wii sales in Japan.

I just hope we get a couple of new Wii Motion Plus games from Nintendo (even if it's just something obvious like Wii Play Plus and Warioware Plus).

Haunted

Can't wait to see what Koizumi and Aonuma have been up to. Att least one of their projects should be shown, too many rumours are saying the same thing. I'm not expecting much else out of the conference, though. As I said so often before, Nintendo's E3 conference is mostly focusing on the casual stuff.

October conference is what core gamers should legitimately be hyped for, just like in the last two years.

VOOK said:
oh what the hell.

*hops onboard*

Father_Brain said:
Pessimistic prediction: Either Pikmin 3, Retro's next game, or both will be completely absent from E3.
:lol you'll be lucky if even one of those is mentioned in an interview.

I really don't know why you people keep doing this to yourself.

Top Bottom