• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Confirmed!

StuBurns

Banned
Every crazy rumor is coming true.

I sold my Wii, and SMG is pretty much the only Wii game I really liked. Damn.

Tiktaalik

I am pretty excited about this announcement. Yoshi looked fantastic and the ghost house looked really good. My only concern was that there was A LOT of reused art assets. Hopefully since it's coming out next year it's not going to be a Super Mario Galaxy 1.5. If it follows Mario Galaxy too closely I think it could be a disappointment.

jibblypop

Banned
It sounds like a sort of expansion pack for Mario Galaxy. That is very unlike Nintendo but honestly the gameplay was perfect in that game.
I will play the fucking hell out of this game.

Nintendo just sold me a second Wii.

I need this game.

Galaxy is the best game of the generation by far. Of course that's my personal opinion.

I loved the game. It was magic. :D

Davey Cakes

It did look pretty damn amazing. I almost shed a tear.

If there's one game that can beat the original Galaxy, it's the sequel, and the footage looks promising in that regard.

And yeah, YOSHI! It actually looks like he'll be somewhat useful for gameplay, unlike in Sunshine.

Amneisac

Yeah, I'm definitely excited about this game, I agree with the above comments about how it seemed to take a step back from the focus on "space".

Still though, a few good game announcements may have made me less disappointed with the Wii, but it didn't save the conference. It was still boring and horribly paced.

Games good, conference bad.

Forkball said:
It looks more like Super Mario 64 2. They didn't seem to emphasize spherical worlds or space.
You mean, aside from the fact that everything took place on floating planets in spherical worlds in the trailer? :lol

I'm glad they're using all the little GPU tricks then can to make everything fluffier, grassier, cloudier, etc. lol. Looks really fun, though. Can't wait!

Just when I was thinking of selling off my Wii since I don't really use it much . . . salvation.

BTW, the HD consoles are absolute FAIL when it comes to 3D platforming. :-(

So . . . you are Mr. Gay too!

mariogalaxy2.jpg

ZeoVGM

Banned
This looked fucking incredible.

Honestly, I was HOPING for this, and I said it in my list of wanted games. Anyone who complains about "more of the same" when it's "more of the best 3D platformer ever".

Nintendo hasn't developed a direct Mario sequel since NES. We got 3 GTAs on PS2, 4 CoDs this gen, we'll end up having 3 Gears, at least 2 Ratchets, 2 Uncharted, etc.

I think it's okay for Nintendo to finally do a direct sequel that doesn't see a huge change in concept or gimmick.

So anyone that bitches or moans can go screw.

Darklord

Banned
Looked exactly like the first which was very underwhelming. The big thing with SMG was it was new and fresh. I feel this will be good but no where near as awesome.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If this is for next year, Sin and Punishment 2 damned well better arrive by year's end.

ymmv

Banned
Ephemeris said:
Looks neat. Not sure I'd call it a megaton though :p

It would have been a megaton if they showed a completely new Super Mario concept that blew our minds. What I saw was SMG v1.5. It looked good, it looked like fun and I'm going to play it but it didn't bowl me over because it all looked so familiar.

Team Ninja doing a Metroid game, now that's a Megaton.

justchris

Wait, there are actual people who would prefer a sequel to Zelda over one to Mario Galaxy? Huh...well, I guess it takes all kinds.

I wonder if that new drill powerup is a one-time thing or if it shows up in multiple stages.

Chao

The music sounded like shitty Nintendo midis all over again.
Where's the orchestra!?

Also, UR MR GAY TOO

ghibli99

This made me very happy. :) I miss the NES days when we got more than 1-2 proper Mario games per generation. This is still my favorite game on the Wii, and the wait for its release is going to be *painful*. Bring it!

neoism

This was a cool announcement but I'm not really insanely excited for it, I'll buy it day one, but I only liked Galaxy not loved it, having Yoshi in it is fucking awesome though. OVER ALL, Nintendo really didn't do much for me, this and Metroid was the only games worth a fuck. Hell, the 4 player 2D Mario isn't even that great, with out Zelda this conference was lacking. But in a sense I'm glad they didn't announce something for Zelda, they reaaaallly need to think about the next one, I want a completely "NEW" Zelda, not just new as in new, I mean a completely new Zelda as in not just remake LTTP which they've done for basically 10 years, I was a little disappointed in TP, and hated Hourglass. I'm not trying to sound like a hater or anything, I care about this company and these games, but lately, I'm hating Nintendo's direction. I want Nindeo to make HARDCORE games, not just rely on 3rd party all the time! I'm glad for G2 and Metroid Other M, not sure about Team Ninja making it though, WTF, why isn't Retro doing it! It sucks also because both these game won't come until next year, I only have CAVE STORY( if they ever fucking release it goddamn) Maurmasa, and Metroid Trilogy to look forward to this year. It was a lot better than last years, but not by much!

syllogism

The first Mario game since Lost levels that's more an expansion pack than a sequel. Not that I mind really, but I can see why some people might find it disappointing.

billy.sea

Banned
I wish they have done something a little different, it looks too similar to me. At least make the planet a little more different than last time.

Crye

Darklord said:
Looked exactly like the first which was very underwhelming. The big thing with SMG was it was new and fresh. I feel this will be good but no where near as awesome.
Yep, I agree.
Still, its more of a good thing... which is good.

Edit: If by underwhelming you meant, this trailer because of the first game, not the first game itself.

Dear GAF. I'm homeless, hungry, and out of a job. Please help a guy out. Do you have any Super Mario Galaxy 2 footage to spare? I don't rob, I don't steal, all I want is some Mario Galaxy 2 footage.

Davey Cakes

syllogism said:
The first Mario game since Lost levels that's more an expansion pack than a sequel. Not that I mind really, but I can see why some people might find it disappointing.
As awesome and wacky as the original Galaxy was, Miyamoto has said that the team was restricted. I mean, it's Mario in space. There are a lot of possibilities to cover, and the first Mario Galaxy game only covered some of them.

I see no problem with a direct sequel. Yeah, they're taking an unoriginal idea (Mario in space), but they're doing it justice by expanding on it.

Top Bottom