• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

m.i.s.

Banned
Rash said:
The Hammer Bros. part of the Perfect Run is a toughy, but honestly it's more a matter of patience than just a matter of pure skill. If you're careful you can pick the Bros. off pretty much one by one. While this is pretty risky in itself, it also disperses the risk. I mean, if you just charge in trying to dodge everything, you may win out if you're good enough and have Matrix-like dodging skills, but one little mistake and that's it.

The thing about The Perfect Run is that it's a bit unnerving. Easy to get frustrated with. It's designed so that by the end you'll just want to get it over with and will screw everything up, or will go in being cocky and try to pull off the Matrix moves. Honestly, do what the game doesn't want you to do, and just relax a bit and take your time. Pause the game, breath, think, strategize, and approach it with a level head. The balance of skill and thought is what's important.

That's kind of why The Perfect Run may be called an excellent way to end a game. It calls on more than platforming skill. It serves as a culmination of the processes and experiences that you've been though. Difficult, of course, but also a matter of putting your gaming abilities and tendencies to the test.

Excellent write-up.

I found the first 5 stages fairly straightforward (except that concentric laser circles stage which took me a while to master but I can manage fairly easily now with long Z jumping. But the final hammer bros stage is hard as nails. As you say, more a test of endurance because you know that if you mess-up, it's back to square one.

Started a second playthrough over the long weekend (hard to believe this game has been out for over a year now!) I ended up giving The Perfect Run another try as I still hadn't beaten it, and managed to do it this time--in only seven tries no less. The key for me was discovering that I could destroy hammers and boomerangs with a spin! That made it easier to handle the last section because you can always spin and retreat if you're about to get hit with a projectile.

Hiltz

I finished the very last level in SMG 2 with the help of a friend. He used a second Wii remote controller's pointer to paralyze enemies and stop traps and projectiles from moving. It was particularly useful for the rotating platform stage as well as the hammer bros. section.

Neo Child

Banned
Hiltz said:
I finished the very last level in SMG 2 with the help of a friend. He used a second Wii remote controller's pointer to paralyze enemies and stop traps and projectiles from moving. It was particularly useful for the rotating platform stage as well as the hammer bros. section.

Theres certain levels of the game I cant do without player 2. Namely the level in World 6 or World S where spikes constantly appear and dissapear, the friend can stop them so i can long jump everything. On that note, the Player 2 option is awesome in SMG2 and theres loads to do, not so much in SMG1.

bh7812

Banned
I had a question and was afraid to bump the thread, thinking it hadn't been bumped in a few months (I hear bumping really old threads is a no-no) but since the most recent post was on May 31st I think it will be ok :)

I just want to know real quick if I can use the cosmic guide with Grand Star Boss levels? I know that's going to sound like an incredibly dumb question but I can't quite finish the third boss fight :( I can get to the very last part but the jumping plus having to aim to shoot at it to get the last few hits is proving a little difficult for me. If I can use Cosmic Guide there, great. If not I guess I better really work at it to get through there cause I won't be able to get to the 4th section without the grand star. Oddly enough I'm having little trouble with some of the more challenging parts of the regular levels! Just that one Grand Star Boss fight is the spot I'm having trouble with.

^^I don't think you can.

This game is so much fun. I love just turning it on and replaying like 2 or 3 levels.

I hope the next 3D Mario takes another completely different direction, though I'm not sure where they could go from here as they've already done exploration and linearity (and Mario 3DS is supposed to combine those).

Luckily, I'm not the one developing the games.

On the green stars, a lot of them were simple, but quite a few actually forced you to do some tough platforming.

How can I get the prompt (prankster comet?) for The Perfect Run? Or do I just do it by myself without any prompt? I have everything else (241 stars plus all the medals) so I'm surprised nothing's popping up.

Also, the Hammer Bros. part is the second easiest of the sections, I thought, after the glow panels.

And do you get anything for having 9999 star bits, as that fat purple Che guy suggests?

-------------------------------

By the way, I love this game. Flip-Out galaxy is a highlight. When I got the star after being chased by the clones (as well as the Green Star) I felt that SNES feeling :D

Anth0ny

Battersea Power Station said:
How can I get the prompt (prankster comet?) for The Perfect Run? Or do I just do it by myself without any prompt? I have everything else (241 stars plus all the medals) so I'm surprised nothing's popping up.

Also, the Hammer Bros. part is the second easiest of the sections, I thought, after the glow panels.

And do you get anything for having 9999 star bits, as that fat purple Che guy suggests?

You need to deposit 9999 star bits into the toad bank and Perfect run will show up. It is a prankster comet.

Anony

i put off playing smg2 with 117 stars left, because for some reason, i got bored of one of the stage because the pransters comet got repetitive and/or boring and/or the stage i stopped at was hard
decided to finish via emulator in glorious 1080p, now got all 120 stars

B65CC9E129DECA753CA5BCEE79FAFBA6704CD8B3

so, now i'm here, where do i fight bowser i presume
C130DC506607E1575CB8AC4CA81545E13B2B3DD4

ghibli99

I'm really late to the party w/ SMG2! I started last year, but stopped early on for some unknown reason (like 5 stars in). I recently beat SM64 on Wii VC w/ all 120 stars, which was a very rewarding (but sometimes infuriatingly frustrating!) experience. What a great game. The last Mario game I played before that was SMG1 and got 120 stars on that. Never did play the Luigi stuff much, though.

So here I am in SMG2, 20 stars in, and man, this game is amazing! Can't believe it sold so relatively few compared to some of Nintendo's other heavy hitters (and only like 2/3 the numbers of SMG1 so far), but I think this game (and the SMG games in general) do take some rather advanced spacial relationship skills to get the most out of it. My wife's helping me w/ the 2P controls for bits and such, and she's watching me go through some of these levels with this look on her face like, "There's no way I could ever do this."

Anyway, I'm having a blast. I want to keep playing for hours, but at the same time, I know it's a game I want to savor for a while. I really like the way the world map is handled. Wasn't sure if I would, but I think it's great.

Hiltz

I'm glad to hear that other gamers are making use of the SMG 2's co-op mode. It may not seem like much but it is pretty fun to have someone help out or just mess around with enemies and traps.

ghibli99

Hiltz said:
I'm glad to hear that other gamers are making use of the SMG 2's co-op mode. It may not seem like much but it is pretty fun to have someone help out or just mess around with enemies and traps.
Totally. My wife's saved my butt in quite a few situations, and it's been interesting to see what enemies Nintendo decided to let you freeze or not. It's great just to be able to focus on the joy of *playing* instead of having to go back and forth between the platforming/traversal and my OCD habit of needed to collect every star bit. ;) Making the game in general feel so fluid.

This is the kind of game where I think about it all the time when I'm not playing it. In fact, I can't wait until I can go home tonight and jump back in. Getting close to the end of the 2nd world.

Darkgran

Been working on
green stars
with my son. We are up to

I am having so much fun playing this with him. it's making me feel like a kid again.

ghibli99

I have to single out the animation in this game. It's so damn good! I'm really blown away by the care they put into even the smallest details.

While I haven't heard a song yet that's as good as Gusty Garden from SMG1, it's still a fantastic soundtrack. The remixed
SMW
music had a Totoro-like smile plastered on my face like you wouldn't believe! :D

ghibli99

32 stars in, starting to get the Prankster Comets, which have been really fun! Nothing too crazy so far, but just a blast to play. This game just keeps on getting better. I love the way it throws new things at you after almost every star, too. I feel like they're doing a better job of it here than in SMG1.

ghibli99

Some pretty good progress since my last post. Just hit 70 stars last night... so many good memories being stirred up from past Mario games just in terms of the characters and locales.

The only time I felt deflated was when I got
Spring
Mario. I couldn't stand this from the first game, and here it is again. :( I couldn't help myself, so I checked a wiki and thankfully, that's the only time you have to use it! It's one of the few things in this series that just feels broken to me.

Otherwise, the game continues to be an absolutely joy to play!

ghibli99

There are some minor spoilers ahead, but nothing that gives away solutions to anything. Hope this is OK. Also bolded some stuff for the tl;dr crowd.

I must be one of the few people left playing this. I know I'm way late to the party, so hopefully my thoughts here prompt some more of the latecomers to start playing. :)

So after getting through SM64 a little over a week ago (my first time 120/120'ing it!), it was time to finally dust this off and go to town...

I really liked a lot of the newer suits/abilities for Mario, like the Rock, Drill, and Cloud, which were just a lot of fun to use. I could tell that the designers really liked the Cloud form since it seemed to make many more appearances than the others. Like many, I hated the Spring form from the first game, and pretty much smacked my forehead when it appeared in this game again. Thankfully it was only used once, which was a relief. Having Yoshi back in the game was a lot of fun, too, and I liked the direct nods to Super Mario World on the SNES. I totally got into that bongo'd-out music! :)

Regarding the hub world, it kind of stunk that the flying tower from SMG1 wasn't playable. The little Mario Head ship didn't have a whole lot you could do on it, but at the same time, I'd argue that this kept the game moving forward. I remember that there were times in SMG1 where I would feel a little aggravated that I would have to go all the way to the other side of the ship just to get to the right world/galaxy. With the new hub, it's great that you just step on that yellow panel, and you're up on the very convenient world map.

I would say my least favorite levels were the flying ones, where the controls just felt too loose. The purple coin levels were challenging, but nothing like the 8-bit Mario one from SMG1. I love the Daredevil "beat the level w/ 1 health" challenges, and those score attack ones are pretty cool/hairy too.

One of the coolest pure moments from the game was the one in the last underwater galaxy. When you emerge on the other side in that little pool, and the sunset is glimmering in your eyes and you hear the ocean and seagulls, I thought, damn, to be able to recreate something like that in a game that really didn't even need it? That's pretty inspired.

I also loved Throwback Galaxy. It made me smile so much! It's validation that they could totally do SM64 - or even a direct sequel to it - in the style and quality of SMG. Although, would they need to? Regardless, that made me feel pretty darn excited about Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS. Man, I hope that game's good!

Oh, an important sidenote here: I played SMG1 solo, but I played this entire game w/ my wife on the 2P side. It was actually the perfect way to play the game! She could collect all the stray star bits and manipulate enemies and other obstacles, and I could focus on clearing areas, platforming, and all the rest of the stuff that I like doing. She can't really wrap her head around controlling Mario in most of these environments, so for her to be able to play and stay interested the whole way through was actually quite impressive. While this could be considered making the game easier, I would still say it's my preferred way to play it... after reading about it, it sounds like they made some nice changes to how the 2P side worked, giving them more to do and alter the gameplay. The co-op mode is ideal if there's a casual/non-gamer type in your household.

The soundtrack, like the first game, is exceptional. I think I still prefer the first game's music. I don't know if I heard anything in SMG2 as good as that Gusty Garden theme. That track is just pure musical perfection. Still, this soundtrack is wonderful with lots of variety and beautiful movements.

The game as a whole, although not feeling as new and fresh as the first game (which had such an impact on me), still manages to provide a consistently fun and smile-inducing experience. They throw just about everything they can from the first game at you while building upon those original concepts and giving us lots of brand-new stuff to do as well. I love that the series in general feels as if the designers were basically let loose to come up with as much as they could in terms of concepts and variety.

So after we beat the first 120 stars, we're now working our way through the extra content. We're up to 138 stars, and we're just loving it still! These feel so much more like what people loved from SM64: a sense of exploration, discovery, and rewarding risky moves and precise platforming. It makes each galaxy feel completely different, and the challenge so far has been perfectly tuned. So much better than the SMG1 postgame.

This game is a shot of pure bliss... it really needs to be experienced by more people, especially those who were on the fence thinking it was just a retread of the first game. IMO, this is the superior game.

A+

Okay, hope Im not zombifying this thread since the last post was August 11th.

Anyhoo, I was thinking of picking up one of the SMG games, but Im not sure which one. SMG1 is now $19.99 so it makes it more affordable, but SMG2 is newer and may have better gameplay. So I guess my question is: SMG1 or SMG2, which one would be the better game to pick up. Keep in mind, I don't really play platformers, but this video has me super intrigued:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOh968qao74

Luigi87

SpaceBridge said:
Okay, hope Im not zombifying this thread since the last post was August 11th.

Anyhoo, I was thinking of picking up one of the SMG games, but Im not sure which one. SMG1 is now $19.99 so it makes it more affordable, but SMG2 is newer and may have better gameplay. So I guess my question is: SMG1 or SMG2, which one would be the better game to pick up. Keep in mind, I don't really play platformers, but this video has me super intrigued:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOh968qao74

Both are great games, but if you don't really play platformers, get SMG1 (I'd personally recommend both, but you may as well get the cheaper one here).

Luigi87 said:
Both are great games, but if you don't really play platformers, get SMG1 (I'd personally recommend both, but you may as well get the cheaper one here).

Reading some of the posts on GAF seems to imply that SMG2 is a better game, and has Yoshi.

SpaceBridge said:
Reading some of the posts on GAF seems to imply that SMG2 is a better game, and has Yoshi.

Yes, but after playing one, you'll want to play the other. May as well start with the first so you get to take a step up afterwards.

Littlegator said:
Yes, but after playing one, you'll want to play the other. May as well start with the first so you get to take a step up afterwards.

Okay thanks. I just watched Classic Game Rooms review on Youtube, and it blew me away. I havent touched a Mario game since SM 3.

loosus

Banned
The first one is borderline junky now compared to the second one. The hub world in the first one, with its extreme sluggishness, is annoying as shit. The more they get away from having a hub world, the better. The second Galaxy was, at least, a step in the right direction.

loosus said:
The first one is borderline junky now compared to the second one. The hub world in the first one, with its extreme sluggishness, is annoying as shit. The more they get away from having a hub world, the better. The second Galaxy was, at least, a step in the right direction.

So would you recommend 2 over 1?

SpaceBridge said:
Honestly, that's more the reason to get the SMG1 first. If you get 2 before 1 it might feel like a step down since 2 has a slightly harder difficulty even though they're both absolutely fantastic. Either way I don't think you'll be disappointed by any of the two.

RandomVince said:
I second this. Get SMG1, finish it, then get SMG2. Both flawless games imo.
Yeah, everyone has it right, get 1 because you will fall madly in love with it and will you will NEED 2 afterwards. 2 is definitely better but 1 is still perfect (as odd as that seems).

Also, that video is wonderful and makes me smile, just like when I first played the game.

Yagharek

SMG1 also has Buoy Base Galaxy which has the best music of the lot. And Gusty Garden. And Battlerock Barrage. And Dreadnought. And ... oh fuck it, get both.

Pre

I liked the first game better, if only because the second, while still excellent, suffers by being something of a retread. The first game was a fresh Mario experience. I like a lot of the gameplay ideas in the second, but I couldn't help but feel like I was playing a map pack.

I was very surprised with how well Yoshi controls, though. Any level with Yoshi was a joy to play.

Zing

Banned
There are only two aspects that make me appreciate 2 more than 1.

The first is that "player 2" can actually feel like she is doing something in the game. In SMG1, she is only able to gather star bits. In SMG2, she can stun enemies, freeze obstacles, and pick up items.

I'll spoiler the second aspect even though you seem like the type of person who will read it despite not playing the games yet.

The green star levels in SMG2 are more palatable and interesting than the purple coin levels of SMG1

BowieZ

Banned
No idea why you guys are adamant about playing 1 first. If you play SMG2 there's practically no need to play 1, apart from maybe 2 or 3 galaxies, their music, and Rosalina's story.

Kill two birds: Play 2 and only 2 and know you just played 1 for all intents and purposes at the same time.

1 is piss easy, kinda insultingly easy really, but will also tarnish the brilliance of 2. Just for the sake of it having "cone first"? Sounds like OCD.

qq more

BowieZ said:
No idea why you guys are adamant about playing 1 first. If you play SMG2 there's practically no need to play 1, apart from maybe 2 or 3 galaxies, their music, and Rosalina's story.

Kill two birds: Play 2 and only 2 and know you just played 1 for all intents and purposes at the same time.

1 is piss easy, kinda insultingly easy really, but will also tarnish the brilliance of 2.
Galaxy 1 wasn't that easy... but then again I'm pretty terrible at 3D platformers

WillyFive

BowieZ said:

1 is piss easy, kinda insultingly easy really, but will also tarnish the brilliance of 2. Just for the sake of it having "cone first"? Sounds like OCD.

SMG1 and SMG2 are like the same difficulty. It's just that one is longer than the other.

And I say don't skip SMG1, because you won't get the full experience with only playing SMG2. In fact, I'd say if for some reason you only needed to play one, play SMG1.

ghibli99

Zing said:

The first is that "player 2" can actually feel like she is doing something in the game. In SMG1, she is only able to gather star bits. In SMG2, she can stun enemies, freeze obstacles, and pick up items.

I'll spoiler the second aspect even though you seem like the type of person who will read it despite not playing the games yet.

The green star levels in SMG2 are more palatable and interesting than the purple coin levels of SMG1
Nailed it.

My wife stuck w/ me through all the stars in SMG2... she had a great time and really contributed to getting me through a lot of the stages. She got bored with SMG1's limited co-op.

If that doesn't matter to you, then the spoilered part above (and
Grandmaster Galaxy
) are two reasons why SMG2 is a superior experience.

In the end, though, both games are instant classics.

Chuckpebble

Zing said:

Been a while, maybe I'm misremembering, but couldn't you grab things to stop them in 1 also? At least those boulders with the red gem weak point in them if nothing else in the game.

ghibli99

Chuckpebble said:
Been a while, maybe I'm misremembering, but couldn't you grab things to stop them in 1 also? At least those boulders with the red gem weak point in them if nothing else in the game.
Yes, you can stop certain things, but you can do more in SMG2, like collect coins. SMG1's was really annoying since you could also make P1 jump, which for us at least, led to several accidental deaths. So glad they got rid of that!

galvatron

Zing said:
Really?
I just got the game back from my sister and most of the green stars are pretty boring. A few are fun like the one in the stage with all of the saws, and in Bowser's castle, but most of the ones I've gotten feel like no more than "where's waldo".

Shiggy

galvatron said:
Really?
I just got the game back from my sister and most of the green stars are pretty boring. A few are fun like the one in the stage with all of the saws, and in Bowser's castle, but most of the ones I've gotten feel like no more than "where's waldo".

They were pretty boring and not a real challenge. Some were even awful due to the lack of stereoscopic 3D.

WillyFive

Shiggy said:
They were pretty boring and not a real challenge. Some were even awful due to the lack of stereoscopic 3D.

Yeah, if there ever was an example on how 3D helps a game, it's SMG2.

A lot of the stars I had no idea if they were in front of me or behind me.

Shiggy

Willy105 said:
Yeah, if there ever was an example on how 3D helps a game, it's SMG2.

A lot of the stars I had no idea if they were in front of me or behind me.

I wonder whether Super Mario 3D Land is designed to have these problems too (with it being no problem anymore) or whether they were simply avoided.

hatchx

Banned
Shiggy said:
I wonder whether Super Mario 3D Land is designed to have these problems too (with it being no problem anymore) or whether they were simply avoided.

I think it will go back to the three special coins per level to unlock world 9 type situation.

The game is 3D in the sense Crash Bandicoot was 3D. I doubt it will encourage very much exploration, and I'm hoping there will be great number of levels with greater difficulty to compensate for that. If beaten in a weekend, 3D Land will be quite disappointing.

Also SMG2 is amazing. Just to chime in.

Shiggy

hatchx said:
I think it will go back to the three special coins per level to unlock world 9 type situation.

The game is 3D in the sense Crash Bandicoot was 3D. I doubt it will encourage very much exploration, and I'm hoping there will be great number of levels with greater difficulty to compensate for that. If beaten in a weekend, 3D Land will be quite disappointing.

Also SMG2 is amazing. Just to chime in.

I really don't think you understood what we were talking about ;)

ghibli99

I don't think stereoscopic 3D would've helped. Really, there were only a couple that depended on a little bit of luck to get. Some were quite cleverly hidden and made you do things that most players (including myself) wouldn't have even considered doing for the first 120 stars.

Shiggy

ghibli99 said:
I don't think stereoscopic 3D would've helped. Really, there were only a couple that depended on a little bit of luck to get. Some were quite cleverly hidden and made you do things that most players (including myself) wouldn't have even considered doing for the first 120 stars.

How do you come to that conclusion? There were stars where you did not know whether you had to go to the back or to the front - stereoscopic 3D usually solves such problems!? Without stereoscopic 3D that's just bad design - that's got nothing to do with luck or being cleverly hidden.

ghibli99

Shiggy said:
How do you come to that conclusion? There were stars where you did not know whether you had to go to the back or to the front - stereoscopic 3D usually solves such problems!? Without stereoscopic 3D that's just bad design - that's got nothing to do with luck or being cleverly hidden.
Hey, it's just my opinion. That's why there are folks who find the SMG games too easy and others that find them impossible to play. We all have different experiences and interpret various aspects of these games differently; I guess my experience was simply more positive than yours.

What I will clarify is that stereoscopic 3D probably wouldn't have helped *me* for the green stars. I enjoyed almost every minute of it.

Top Bottom