• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker e3 2015 trailer

HoJu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwO09vJAPDs
http://e3.nintendo.com/games/wiiu/super-mario-maker/

September 11 2015

Features:
-Play a near-limitless number of Mario levels created by Nintendo and players around the world.
-Create your own Mario levels by using the Wii U GamePad controller touch screen to add enemies, blocks, pipes and more.
-Break the conventions of traditional Super Mario gameplay by blending enemies, traps and items into unexpected twists, like Piranha Plant-shooting cannons, power-up-tossing Lakitus, or even Hammer Bros. riding on Bowser while bouncing on trampolines.
-Touch control, instant editing and a robust online ranking and search system makes creating, playing and sharing a seamless process.
-Switch between four distinct themes, each with different art styles and features: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and New Super Mario Bros. U.
-Transform into different characters at random with the new Mystery Mushroom item. Expand the roster of possible characters by completing 100 Mario Challenge mode or tapping compatible amiibo.
-Tap a 30th Anniversary Mario amiibo figure to the Wii U GamePad controller to add a Big Mushroom power-up to your course!
-Each retail copy of the game will come with a special booklet that offers fun ideas for designing courses.

screenshot9.jpg

screenshot8.jpg

screenshot10.jpg

screenshot7.jpg

screenshot6.jpg

screenshot5.jpg

screenshot4.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot1.jpg
it still looks awesome.

Regiruler

So other skins by beating a shit ton of challenges or tapping the amiibo. Glad the options are there.

EDIT: Retail version comes with the booklet? want

I don't know why I'm so hyped about this game.
Here's to hoping Nintendo releases the original (unedited) levels from ALL the old school marios.

I hope they make those amiibo easy to find. I need one of them for my desk! I'd have wanted the book to come with an amiibo, because I had plans to go digital, but it looks like i have no choice.

Geg

Knowing there are single player challenges and online sharing makes me a lot more interested since I would be garbage at making my own stages.

Releases too close to MGSV though

Knowing there are single player challenges and online sharing makes me a lot more interested since I would be garbage at making my own stages.

I hear that, I doubt I'll be very good at creating levels. I can't wait to see what other people come up with.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm guessing the Amiibo Characters are only usable in the SMB1-style, right?

They're not gonna make a SMB3, SMW, and 3D Mario version of each, will they?

Ridley327

They kinda had to release it as they are, since it's just two days before the 30th anniversary of the game.

Transform into different characters at random with the new Mystery Mushroom item. Expand the roster of possible characters by completing 100 Mario Challenge mode or tapping compatible amiibo.

Single-player challenges as an alternative way to unlock Amiibo content = two birds, one stone. I'm very happy with this.

Each retail copy of the game will come with a special booklet that offers fun ideas for designing courses.

Safe to pre-order, then, assuming the anniversary Amiibo will be available separately.

Bahlor

Awesome trailer! I can see myself putting a massive amount of time in this. I'm really really excited for this, just not sure about that amiibo support, but will see I guess.

Dreavus

do we still not know if the physics for each game are matched to their respective graphic style?

We were talking about this in the name change thread and it LOOKS like they are, based on NWC and other footage. Also abilities like spin jump, wall jump, ground pounding seem to be restricted between art styles based on the game. It's really hard to tell for sure without playing though.

RagnarokX

We were talking about this in the name change thread and it LOOKS like they are, based on NWC and other footage. Also abilities like spin jump, wall jump, ground pounding seem to be restricted between art styles based on the game. It's really hard to tell for sure without playing though.

They are restricted.

Watch Da Birdie

I just realized...

The Sonic Amiibo. Sonic in a Mario platformer.

I NEED THIS!

So we can create levels, but we can't create an actual mario game that plays our creations in sequence like Super Mario Bros? I guess warp tunnels won't be a feature then.

Really looking forward to trying people's crazy creations. Hopefully I'll feel like I'm having fun with a 2D Mario game again after the same NSMBs I('ve yet to play NSMB U because I felt burnt out by 2 so soon after Wii).

Kouichi

I love being able to transform into various Nintendo characters. I'm going to put countless hours into this game.

munchie64

Wow. EVERYTHING about this game is meeting expectations. I thought we were done with themes, but the ghost house and air ship. The online sharing sounds good. Things like autoscrolling and larger levels are great to see too. The bosses also look awesome!

And then there's this whole character thing. What characters do we know are in and how exactly do we unlock them?

Watch Da Birdie

Wow. EVERYTHING about this game is meeting expectations. I thought we were done with themes, but the ghost house and air ship. The online sharing sounds good. Things like autoscrolling and larger levels are great to see too. The bosses also look awesome!

And then there's this whole character thing. What characters do we know are in and how exactly do we unlock them?

Well, during the Direct they showed little segments that everyone thought was just made for the Direct but looks to have been footage from Mario Maker...

In that case, we have Link, Isabelle, Marth, Yoshi, Luigi, and Wii Fit Trainer IIRC.

So far we've only seen them in the SMB1 mode...I think they might be limited to it.

Roo

Man, this game wasn't on my radar until the NWC this past Sunday but it seems it'll become my new Mario Kart 8 in terms of time spent.
Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Nessus

Along with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2, this is one of my most anticipated upcoming games.

Love the idea of getting together with some friends and making Kaizo Mario levels.

RagnarokX

It keeps surpassing my expectations.

Back when they first showed it it was basically a SMB1 level maker that could use a NSMBU skin. Then they added SMB3 and SMW skins. Then they delayed the game and decided to make each of the game skins play like the games they look like. I wasn't expecting complex level tools, but this week we found out you can make working warp pipes that take can take you to different parts of a level or even completely different themes. You can control how many objects a warp pipe will emit (one at a time or endless). You can make tracks that objects will move along. You can make autoscrolling levels. They added 2 more themes (ghost house and airship).

The game just looks better and better every time they show it.

Is there anything stopping people creating the whole SMB, SMB3, SMW and maybe even NSMBU games on this? It's a very brave release from Nintendo! (And I love it)

RagnarokX

Is there anything stopping people creating the whole SMB, SMB3, SMW and maybe even NSMBU games on this? It's a very brave release from Nintendo! (And I love it)

Yes, although the tools are impressive, it doesn't appear to have eeeeverything from every game. NSMBU especially has way too many unique gimmicks to cram into this game and would require tools more complex than Nintendo is likely comfortable with programming.

Griss

Hasn't been a great day as a Nintendo fan, but it shouldn't obscure how amazing this looks.

When it was revealed I thought it looked too limited. I hoped they'd double the content and level size. It looks like they did a LOT more than that.

Can't wait.

NotLiquid

The game is undeniably my game of the show. It surpassed my rock bottom expectations and disdain for "level creator" games and looks like a bastion of creativity and fun. I can't wait to play it. It feels like the best way to celebrate the 30th anniversary, and even though Nintendo did not do a good conference this year, this title deserves to shine all the same.

Also Nintendo deserves props for this - you can't upload a level until you finish it.

September 11

Star Fox 64 3D was originally scheduled to release around that date. Same with the original Advance Wars in NA.

Nice timing. They release this awesome Mario game to help cheer up people affected by the events that took place 14 years prior. Attaboy, Nintendo!

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The game is undeniably my game of the show. It surpassed my rock bottom expectations and disdain for "level creator" games and looks like a bastion of creativity and fun. I can't wait to play it. It feels like the best way to celebrate the 30th anniversary, and even though Nintendo did not do a good conference this year, this title deserves to shine all the same.

Also Nintendo deserves props for this - you can't upload a level until you finish it.

was this not the case with LBP as well? I thought you had to finish things to upload them.

I'm so glad to see the strides this game's content has taken since its first reveal, I was always on board for Mario Maker but wondered that it may be limited based off last years showing.
And now all of a sudden it's like witnessing the culmination of 2D Mario, its final batshit crazy form with winged thwomps carrying spiny spewing bill blasters.
I can see myself being absorbed by this.

Regiruler

Yes, although the tools are impressive, it doesn't appear to have eeeeverything from every game. NSMBU especially has way too many unique gimmicks to cram into this game and would require tools more complex than Nintendo is likely comfortable with programming.
Particularly some of the motion based level gimmicks

And bosses are probably limited

Top Bottom