• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axass

I mean, perfect, unless you're talking about God, is sort of a nebulous term. It's up for interpretation of the reviewer.

I am brainstorming how to revise our methodology because if we just scored with one overall score, this rubric would be perfect.
The irony is palpable.

Unless Mario Odyssey all of a sudden has a story like Witcher 3, it can't score a 10/10...I'm not sure if any game can. And that's a problem.
im-done-gif-15.gif

10 is not perfect.

I know. I was saying for those who think that way, they need to adjust their thinking. If they're unwilling to consider 10 as "among the best games at the time," then apparently they need to pretend games are scored on a different point scale.

If you have a grading point scale and it's impossible for anything to achieve the maximum possible points, then something is wrong with your scale.

Zedark

Guys.

Tell me this is a meme? A joke? Sarcasm?

Please?

If you read his post, he is talking about his review system, and how Super Mario Odyssey, which doesn't focus on story, exposes fundamental issues with his review system (basically, a game alleged as good as SMO cannot get a high score because it cannot be scored for story). So, it's not sarcasm or anything, it's a discussion on how difficult it is to create a decent review system.

Servbot24

Banned
If you read his post, he is talking about his review system, and how Super Mario Odyssey, which doesn't focus on story, exposes fundamental issues with his review system (basically, a game alleged as good as SMO cannot get a high score because it cannot be scored for story). So, it's not sarcasm or anything, it's a discussion on how difficult it is to create a decent review system.

Just use your gut. Boom, 'review system' solved.

I don't know about anyone else, but 10 to me just means "fucking hell folks, you HAVE to play this". All a score is is just the reviewer's emotional reaction to a game, balanced against any annoying parts there may have been, and then considered against how likely this reaction is to be shared en masse (though that last part is probably not even that important).

It's an enormously positive feeling during and after a game that isn't deflated by deficits. It's simple.

That was not the conclusion I reached but if that's what he meant then that makes sense.

I still think a review should reflect mainly on what the game set out to do and how well it achieves that.

Fanuilos

I don't know about anyone else, but 10 to me just means "fucking hell folks, you HAVE to play this". All a score is is just the reviewer's emotional reaction to a game, balanced against any annoying parts there may have been, and then considered against how likely this reaction is to be shared en masse (though that last part is probably not even that important).

It's an enormously positive feeling during and after a game that isn't deflated by deficits. It's simple.

Yeah, I've been reading through the thread trying to remember where I heard this (some outlet, can't remember) but a 10/10 or 5/5 is basically a landmark achievement for the genre that the vast majority of gamers can enjoy.

Which is why review score systems are pointless. If a game comes out that makes you adjust your scale, then your scale was bunk to begin with. I think review scores are a net negative and they hurt more than they help, but if you must use one, making it attempt to be a rating of the game’s inherent quality is fundamentally flawed. Instead, make it about you measure of recommendation for a game. In which case a 10/10 doesn’t mean a game is “flawless” it means “you may not like this, but I loved it and you should drop everything you’re doing and at least try this NOW.”

I know. I was saying for those who think that way, they need to adjust their thinking. If they're unwilling to consider 10 as "among the best games at the time," then apparently they need to pretend games are scored on a different point scale.

If you have a grading point scale and it's impossible for anything to achieve the maximum possible points, then something is wrong with your scale.

To me, I think the issue is that this mentality comes from a notion of just placing too much importance on the integrity of what a score represents. Like, I think the thought process goes like this: I give this game here a perfect 10/10 (or whatever). What happens next year if an even better game comes out? My scale only allows me to give out a 10 at max. But this game is better than that other game and my scale doesn't reflect that! This is a real pickle for me/us.

The reality is that these numbers simply aren't that important. You get around this by either:

A.) Have less granularity in your system. Like your scale is: Great/Good/Average/Not Good/Awful

B.) Don't worry about it! Every review someone writes from the beginning of time to the end of time does not need to be endlessly compared to each other to make sure that the numbers hold true. If you find yourself reflecting back on a review and thinking "yeah, that game I gave a 9/10 to last year is probably more of an 8/10 now that I think about it," that's fine. Nobody should care about it. This is not a frozen in time snapshot of the games objective worth as it stacks up with every other video game out there that can never, ever change. It's just an arbitrary assessment to hopefully benefit your readers and give them an "at the end of the day" summation of just how much you really liked it because sometimes the text may not make it clear just how much the positives outweigh the negatives or vice versa.

Well, that sounds like an issue with his review system, yeah.

I actually don't think it's all that difficult to create a decent review system that can be accepted by the audience at large though.

Zedark

I mean, perfect, unless you're talking about God, is sort of a nebulous term. It's up for interpretation of the reviewer.

In the rubric I developed for my team (abridged):

I am brainstorming how to revise our methodology because if we just scored with one overall score, this rubric would be perfect. But we assign individual scores based upon three categories, and they are averaged into an overall: story, gameplay, and presentation (graphics/music/sound).

Unless Mario Odyssey all of a sudden has a story like Witcher 3, it can't score a 10/10...I'm not sure if any game can. And that's a problem.
I think the idea that you have to score a game for every separate aspect is erroneous. As some here jokingly refer to, many of the best and most popular games don't have story at all (chess and Minecraft are examples of that). so using story as a necessary part of a review is a bad idea I think. The different forms that video games can take make a movie-like review impossible: video games do not need a story per se, while a movie does. Creating a review system that takes story as a requirement for video games is therefore bound to unfairly treat certain games. That's why imo it is best not to let your review system go up to the score denoting perfection, because at that point things get very nebulous and question like "why doesn't this thing that is otherwise 'perfect' not have a story? Can it then be perfect?" A review system that goes up to "uniquely high quality" allows for an interpretation of a game without story as being so great in the gameplay department as to still warrant a 10 even without a story.

Basically, a review system imo cannot be strictly defined, and at least to a certain extent the following should be applied:

Just use your gut. Boom, 'review system' solved.

Edit:
If you focus on the scoring rather than the actual quality of the review and what you have you have to say, [redacted for unnecessary offence]
I think this post highlights the issue with the review system you have lined out: your review system focuses on certain set features a game allegedly should have, instead of determining the score based on the quality of the actual package itself.

WestEgg

So the review scale goes from 6 to 9 now? Good to know.

To be fair, I think 5 star review systems give the best idea of the quality of any form of entertainment, from games to literature. Too bad they pull down metacritic scores because a 3/5 is not equal to a 6/10 in most people's esteems.

Alright. Is there any other game developer who stirs more ire from its games getting reviewed so highly?

The said part is that this all stems from A SINGLE REVIEW. For all we know the rest of the industry could hate it. I see one of two scenarios:

1) Industry rates the game simiarly to Edge: the industry is bias towards Nintendo

2) Industry rates the games lower than Edge: I knew Edge was bias

Its a total damned if you do and damned if you dont scenario and Im not sure this happens with any other developer.

For whats it worth, Edge and Eurogamer are the two outlets whose opinions I truly seek out.

Joey Ravn

Banned

I remember seeing people getting called pretty bad names for preferring a singleplayer game to that currently popular MP game. I think your statement is the polar opposite of that: not enough story makes a game not good enough.

Both camps are utterly wrong, too.

This kind of approach would also mean you have to judge the platforming in the Witcher 3 in comparison to genre pinnacles like Mario Galaxy 2. I don't think that's where you wanna go.

It makes up for it by having better combat than The Witcher 3.

Alright. Is there any other game developer who stirs more ire from its games getting reviewed so highly?

The said part is that this all stems from A SINGLE REVIEW. For all we know the rest of the industry could hate it. I see one of two scenarios:

1) Industry rates the game simiarly to Edge: the industry is bias towards Nintendo

Its a total damned if you do and damned if you dont scenario and Im not sure this happens with any other developer.

For whats it worth, Edge and Eurogamer are the two outlets whose opinions I truly seek out.

Biased*

Sorry, pet peeve.

I would argue that for true perfectionists, your review scale shouldnt even have a ten. Perfection simply is not possible. The Witcher 3 is not a perfect game (put 180 hours into it doing everything but Gwent-even got all my armor maxed to the highest level)

For me a 10 is a game where its merits so far outweigh any perceived negatives (which may just be small niggles) that they have no impacf on the overall game.

Unfortunately, thanks to these threads, instead of enjoying games, if I find myself forcing myzelf to find negatives even when I really like a game.

Edit: and for as much as I love the Witcher, the story was far from perfect. In facf, boredom from the story (and initial quest breaking glitches) is why I put the game down the first time I played it.

if this game was made by ubisoft no one would care.

I'm probably the biggest Mario fan on the board, but I have to say, I think Edge is letting the hype get to them. I'm sure the game will be good, but I think everyone needs to ease their expectations.

i challenge you on that.

easily.

Wamb0wneD

Yeah it's funny how for example people on GAF act like Zelda fans are the obnoxious people in Horizon threads and not vice versa when you just have to look at the metacritic user score and see which game got waaaay more troll reviews and lines like: "If this was called Belda then..." or "if this wasn't made by Nintendo then...". It's ridiculous.
Way too many people can't handle it lol.

Raven117

Oh, I think it simply comes for the loud passionate fanbase that draws the ire of others. Anecdotally, Nintendo fans really seem to be hung up on "best games of the generation" (Ie BotW, or Mario...or whatever). As in BotW is the best game ever made, or some sheet like that.

Parshias7

Man, I sure hope all the "no game deserves a 10!" people make that argument in every review thread for a game and not just Nintendo ones.

I couldn't find a single person complaining about Witcher 3 getting a perfect score in its 90+ page review thread. I wonder what the difference could be there?????

LifeLike

Nintendo Switch = 400 CAD $
Super Mario Odyssey = 80 CAD $
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller = 90 CAD $
Total = 655 CAD $

Or

Nintendo Switch Console - Super Mario Odyssey Edition = 500 CAD $
Total = 678 CAD $

The Bundle is pricier... NICE !

Guess I'll wait, that's way too much money... For a Nintendo Console with 1 Mario game.

Whats worse is that people are knocking Edge for rating the 3d marios so highly over the years. Like another posted suggested, looking at the metacrtic scores for these games clearly shows that Edge is/was in-line with the great majority of reviewers so where is the bias?

Man, I sure hope all the "no game deserves a 10!" people make that argument in every review thread for a game and not just Nintendo ones.

I couldn't find a single person complaining about Witcher 3 getting a perfect score in its 90+ page review thread. I wonder what the difference could be there?????
It's not an exclusive, and is not a Switch+Nintendo game... Welcome to Neogaf.

Wamb0wneD

Oh, I think it simply comes for the loud passionate fanbase that draws the ire of others. Anecdotally, Nintendo fans really seem to be hung up on "best games of the generation" (Ie BotW, or Mario...or whatever). As in BotW is the best game ever made, or some sheet like that.

I saw the same stuff about GTA5 for example. The problem is that's not exclusive so it's OK for some reason, because then it's not "Nintendo fans" going crazy for something but the normal ass PS4/Xbone owner. It's predictable af really.

Zedark

Nintendo Switch = 400 CAD $
Super Mario Odyssey = 80 CAD $
Total = 655 CAD $

Or

Nintendo Switch Console - Super Mario Odyssey Edition = 500 CAD $
Total = 678 CAD $

The Bundle is pricier... NICE !

Guess I'll wait, that's way too much money... For a Nintendo Console with 1 Mario game.
The bundle also contains a carrying case for the Switch, which explains the price difference. You won't a price reduction (at most a dollar or two), but you're not paying more (if you actually want the carrying case, that is).

Im a nintendo fan and this does not describe me. These days ( im 27) i just worry about how much Im enjoying the games I am playing instead of worrying about where it falls on some arbitrary GOAT list. That stuff is for children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom