• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Announced (Holiday 2017)

NIIIICE! Just woke up to this.

Finally another main line Mario. 3D World is nice and all but this looks more like a serious project from the guys who made Galaxy, right?

What is this crazy concept? Multiple dimensions? Surreal worlds? The variety of old games like 6 golden coins and finally a depature of the standard Mario levels?

I'M SO READY!

BillyJack

Banned
The PS2 was definitely not the most powerful system that gen. Great system but weaker than the GameCube and Xbox

It was the most powerful system when it launched. GameCube and Xbox were over a year later.
Its "superior" power was a huge factor in it killing the Dreamcast.

Ps2? Hahahaha

In 5 years when someone asks the question - "When did the most powerful console ever win the generation"
and someone says "PS4"

Your going to be that guy that says "PS4 Hahahaha..Scorpio"
and actually think your thought process wasn't completely bungled.

Should be bigger given the extra power compared to the Wii-U.

Which leads me to my next question. Ignoring art style, do you guys think this looks like a decent graphical jump from SM3DW?

Yeah definitely, these screenshots look fantastic.

NintendoSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey_Presentation2017_scrn05_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

NintendoSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey_Presentation2017_scrn10_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

img_04.jpg

NintendoSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey_Presentation2017_scrn02_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

The design choices for the city and forest level are really puzzling.

I know. I don't get it. This looks great so far. They're made because the city environment? Because... the people are a different proportion to mario? Gaf you nuts.

It's gaf meltdown time, it's expected. This game looks like the masterpiece that i was expecting since mario galaxy. The next step of mario gameplay. They brought the dive back.

The sonic comparisons make my head hurt and look like more concern trolling because having a "realistic" city was not the problem with sonic. But okay, gaf can have its meltdown

It's gaf meltdown time, it's expected. This game looks like the masterpiece that i was expecting since mario galaxy. The next step of mario gameplay. They brought the dive back.

The sonic comparisons make my head hurt and look like more concern trolling because having a "realistic" city was not the problem with sonic. But okay, gaf can have its meltdown

I don't think people seriously think that this game is going to be as bad as Sonic 06. It just has that cartoony character thrown in a real world vibe.

TrueBlue

That there seems to be a shakeup in aesthetics is exciting for me, and I feel a lot of people have been asking for this sort of risky approach for years. It does look uncanny and weird, but for me, in the best possible way.

Nepenthe

The sonic comparisons make my head hurt and look like more concern trolling because having a "realistic" city was not the problem with sonic.

Surely if we retextured the game to something more brightly-colored it'll fix everything wrong with it.

I don't think people seriously think that this game is going to be as bad as Sonic 06.

Some people are seriously citing the city as an objective detriment to the game on the basis of Sonic 06 having a city. It's dumb AF.

wmlk

Man, it's still blowing my mind with how amazing this looks. I thought they couldn't match the scope and feel of Galaxy. They did it. Throwing Mario into New York City was the shock to instill that confidence in me, tbh. Showing the other worlds with that was terrific.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Nobody's saying that was the only thing wrong with Sonic 06. But it sure as hell didn't help.

Hugstable

Banned
Surely if we retextured the game to something more brightly-colored it'll fix everything wrong with it.

Some people are seriously citing the city as an objective detriment to the game on the basis of Sonic 06 having a city. It's dumb AF.

I mean the city wasn't what was bad about sonic 06. What was bad about sonic 06 was the terrible loadtimes, glitching through everything, the fucked up physics, 'your too slow" and other quotes repeated a crapload, the story with the human girl and such. The city was the least of sonic 06 issues...

That there seems to be a shakeup in aesthetics is exciting for me, and I feel a lot of people have been asking for this sort of risky approach for years. It does look uncanny and weird, but for me, in the best possible way.
That's how I feel.
I didn't expect to be taken by surprise by this Mario.
Boom.

They showed so many not so impressive open enviroments and so little impressive platforming. On the other hand Donkey Kong themed city is nice. I get the feeling this will work out, but Zelda seems to have the innovative open world. Nice spotting a super mario brothers 2 segment.
Also looks like the cap will be switchable hence you will probably get a power up for a longer period of time.

Agreed. The one salvaging thing from tonights mess.

I don't understand why people freak out over the city stuff, its clearly just one stage Mario will visit, like City Zone or something isn't it?

People on Twitter etc are like meh @ Mario 2006/GTA, what have they done to my Mario games!! :\

Also I remember people not thinking much of 3D World when it was announced too, everyone needs to relax and trust EAD Tokyo.

Nepenthe

I mean the city wasn't what was bad about sonic 06. What was bad about sonic 06 was the terrible loadtimes, glitching through everything, the fucked up physics, 'your too slow" and other quotes repeated a crapload, the story with the human girl and such. The city was the least of sonic 06 issues...

That's the point. The "city"- which doesn't even look like Odyssey's- is such an incidental facet of Sonic 06 that it ultimately has little to nothing to do with why the game failed, but some people are seriously getting "Sonic 06 vibes" from the trailer as a justification for not being excited or even calling Nintendo "out of touch." What's next? A new fun wolf power-up being reminiscent of the Werehog? It's just a really bone-headed, superficial observation to make.

Raziel

Risky, not ugly.

A couple things people might be forgetting with Mario, is that he himself is a short person, and also he's young.

But yeah it still looks weird.

I can't believe how open the forest looks in some of the shots. There's a few where Mario looks like he is just exploring a traditional, large forest. Can't wait to see more

Zyrox

I liked everything about this....except for the city. Absolutely did not like that part (looks wise, gameplay could be neat I guess), especially the awful looking humans. Really reminds me of Sonic 06 visually and I thought Sonic 06 looked horrendous :/

Surfheart

Not a fan of the realistic look of the city and particularly the forest, had flashbacks to Turok 64. Switch doesn't have the power to do that style justice, I wish they could have stuck to more stylistic art.

I have to say that the game looks pretty iffy when it comes to art style.

With the Galaxy games they sort of perfected the art style of the 3D mario games. It was colorful, cute and cohesive, and, even with inferior hardware, every surface seemed to have a texture (metal is rusty, grass is fuzzy, ...).

I always thought: with better hardware this artstyle is gonna be gorgeous. But in reality the HD mario games look a little generic and everything has that plasticky shine to them. The best way I can describe it, is that the game looks like what a cutscene from PS2 era games would look. The geometry is there, just not the textures. The mario model in particular is off putting. Just a plastic puppet.

And that is without talking about that atrocious human world level. Fucking yuck!

(just for clarity: I'm only talking about art style here, not the gameplay aspects)

TrueBlue

Risky, not ugly.

I mean, it is precisely these mixed reactions that show how risky the aesthetic choices are, at least when considering the series as a whole.

Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. Either way, I appreciate the willingness to try - which again, is something I feel people have been asking for.

wmlk

Not a fan of the realistic look of the city and particularly the forest, had flashbacks to Turok 64. Switch doesn't have the power to do that style justice, I wish they could have stuck to more stylistic art.

They have. For probably 80% of the rest of the game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I guess their aim for the trailer was to "surprise" us with "realistic" visuals and Mario suddenly jumping in from the sewer.

I think Nintendo is more out of touch than we anticipated.

Or you know, people are being out of touch considering the whole motif the game is having.

Mugy

When you see this character one think for me its always clear; you can't go wrong with a proper Mario platformer. Its impossible.

Elixist

city was weird, iq is really bad 720p right? but it seems their goin all out otherwise. looks incredible overall gameplay wise, hat looks fun, diving is back, looks like a ton of new stuff woot.

Tiktaalik

Something about this just felt off in its art direction. It didn't feel like a Mario game to me. Hard to get too excited for it at this point in time.

xviper

holy shit WOW, this is AMAZING

i hated "3D" world because it's a lazy version of NEW mario bros that turned into "3D" and it has almost nothing new

now THIS is the change i have been waiting nintendo to do in a Mario game since Mario Galaxy, THIS is a REAL 3D mario game that, not that 3Disgrace world, Thank you nintendo, hope they add local co-op and online co-op

i have never liked a trailer like this since MGS V's Nuclear Trailer, now i'm buying a Switch no doubt, hope they don't delay it

EDIT: i just found out that there is no launch games except for Zelda, and it's coming to Wii u Too, well, i guess i'll just delay my Switch purchase

I see where concerns on the varied looks of levels causing a jarring overall visual style for the game are coming form. But I'm gonna trust that in Nintendo's vision for the game. Isn't it the same team that did the Galaxy games that is doing this? I think they know what they're doing

Debirudog

it seems like a lot of people can't wrap around the intent of this game's art direction being done in multiple ways because Mario is traveling through different worlds.

Top Bottom