• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Announced (Holiday 2017)

Xrenity

Something about this just felt off in its art direction. It didn't feel like a Mario game to me. Hard to get too excited for it at this point in time.
Agreed. The city and realistic forest just look so bland. Completely out of place.

Also, Mario with actual hairs in his moustache.. idk. Why does he need to be realistic? Doesn't make sense to me. Would fit Zelda better.

Puruzi

Banned
Not feeling it. Level design looks like shit. Wanted more platforming in a Mario game but whatever, if they wanna make a game where you just run around then it is what it is.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm pretty sure that this game is all I will ever need to be truly happy in life.

Nintendo, you have won me back.

I think the city is jarring like the Sonic Adventure games' cities were. It looks like a nice level to explore and jump around in though. The human models are mainly what stick out. I really like the variety of levels from what we've got so far. Can't wait to see this at Treehouse if it's there (which it probably will!).

score01

Getting a good idea from this. Hopefully the hat doesn't have a voice to go along with the eyes. We don't need another Navi.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Mario Odyssey looks really good. May very well be the best-looking game they showed, tough call between it and Zelda. Definitely excited to play a SM64-styled Mario game again.

Too bad the rumors of it being a launch title didn't pan out... This may have even been enough to get me to buy a Switch at launch.

8bit

Knows the Score
catsony7d.png

1981-ND

Diddys Mart.

I feel so torn regarding the real world City aesthetics. On one hand, it's giving me a bit of nostalgic excitement (the same way I felt when I first saw footage of Sonic Adventure for DC.) On the other, it really feels outta place right now.

When the city first appeared, and mario's flying hub thing didn't go across the sky, I legit thought it was gonna be a new Crazy Taxi or something.

Debirudog

I feel so torn regarding the real world City aesthetics. On one hand, it's giving me a bit of nostalgic excitement (the same way I felt when I first saw footage of Sonic Adventure for DC.) On the other, it really feels outta place right now.

When the city first appeared, and mario's flying hub thing didn't go across the sky, I legit thought it was gonna be a new Crazy Taxi or something.

It's meant to be outta place!

*foams mouth*

Nepenthe

Also, Mario with actual hairs in his moustache.. idk. Why does he need to be realistic? Doesn't make sense to me. Would fit Zelda better.

Ignoring the fact that people would have complained nonstop about his mustache being ambiguously-textured because it would draw even more attention to how low-tech this is compared to upcoming PS4 and Xbone titles, I mean, why not give his mustache some hairs? How is it ultimately any different from basically every CGI animated film out right now that has cartoony-looking characters but realistic textures and locations?

Not too thrilled on what they showed. Barely any platforming.

I hope later trailers show more platforming focus. The hat move has so much potential.

it seems like a lot of people can't wrap around the intent of this game's art direction being done in multiple ways because Mario is traveling through different worlds.

The critiques are not about hub worlds. It's because the general art direction is bad -- garish colors, simplistic models, a certain lifelessness to everything -- and because there's no single aesthetic tying together the environments, such as a PS1-era textured CG city with glowy Galaxy-era elements in another area.

Ignoring the fact that people would have complained nonstop about his mustache being ambiguously-textured because it would draw even more attention to how low-tech this is compared to upcoming PS4 and Xbone titles, I mean, why not give his mustache some hairs? How is it ultimately any different from basically every CGI animated film out right now that has cartoony-looking characters but realistic textures and locations?

ive got far more of an issue with Mario's shiny ass shoes than I do with his hair being... hair instead of an bulbous brown polyblob

That shit looks great. Not just not bad, it genuinely improves Mario's design as far as I'm concerned.

Surfheart

They have. For probably 80% of the rest of the game.

Good to know, still, I wish environments of that style didn't exist at all, the levels shown didn't have a common artistic theme and it made the art feel unfocused.

Still early days I guess.

Aldric

Agreed. The city and realistic forest just look so bland. Completely out of place.

It's not a "realistic forest" at all. lt's a mechanized world with a forest element and a background made of giant tv screens showing cloudy skies, like the Octoling stages in Splatoon's single player campaign.

l don't get the kneejerk reactions. lt looks pretty damn creative and stylized.

DonMigs85

Mario's running animation looks kinda funny, and I don't know why there are realistic humans, but it does look good.

i dont take gafs opinions seriously to mario titles anymore after 3d world, any remember that thread reveal?
Which was justified, considering what they showed back then.

I don't think anyone is calling the game is bad, everyone is just reacting to what was shown. Nothing wrong with that.

It's not just that it looks like Sonic Adventure at a conceptual level; the city and its residents look really weird. Almost like amateurish, early rendering attempts.

The art direction doesn't really seem to work either. What is going on here? I thought World looked great.

v1oz

This game looks super hot. Super Mario Oddysey, Zelda and Xenoblade 2 are now my most anticipated games of 2017.

Big Nikus

holy shit WOW, this is AMAZING

i hated "3D" world because it's a lazy version of NEW mario bros that turned into "3D" and it has almost nothing new

now THIS is the change i have been waiting nintendo to do in a Mario game since Mario Galaxy, THIS is a REAL 3D mario game that, not that 3Disgrace world, Thank you nintendo

Oh wow.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'll put my money on the other basket.

Considering how right off the bat after the city world they showed a very simple cel-shaded "food" world and a rather textured/oddly lightened forest world, no - they really are aiming for the different "styles" per world.

Well, art-direction lost this battle. I think they listened to people without imagination a bit too much. Hopefully the gameplay will be great. I've never seen a Mario game look so inconsistent in art-direction. There were also some interesting sections. So there will be enough variation i guess.

But that's my only gripe thus far. I don't like these realistic elements like the city being a human city and the jungle being realistic instead of a mushroom trip.

DonMigs85

Well, art-direction lost this battle. I think they listened to people without imagination a bit too much. Hopefully the gameplay will be great. I've never seen a Mario game look so inconsistent in art-direction.

But that's my only gripe thus far. I don't like these realistic elements like the city being a human city and the jungle being realistic instead of a mushroom trip.
I'm hoping there's an in-game explanation. Maybe completely different dimensions/realities?

Santar

This game was the one shining light of the entire Switch presentation.
But c'mon guys, we know the chances of a delay are 99%.

Top Bottom